Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1411 1412 [1413] 1414 1415 ... 1570

Author Topic: How did you last die?  (Read 2245112 times)

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
Re: How did you last die?
« Reply #21180 on: March 04, 2019, 01:24:28 pm »

The silly thing is that my strength is TOO high for a slayer-build, officially, since the +3 STR from power armor counts ;D  So most builds suggest 6, and bank on getting the implant too.  Which seems a bit much, though.

I *might* be getting screwed by my 1 luck, to be fair...  Though I'm not critfailing, just lacking crits.  I'll be totally OP once I get Slayer though!  Only 19 levels then I can start actually killing things if I can reach melee!

*died again to a single gecko getting 3 attacks after moving, taking out half my health in a round*
 :'(
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21181 on: March 04, 2019, 02:03:38 pm »

TES 1: Arena.

Been awhile, but I believe you can examine a door and it will display the shop's name(if it is one) and also mark the name of the shop on your map. Also, guilds and temples will have a specific wall texture, different for each city but distinct from the rest of the town's buildings, and I believe all temples in the city use the same texture. And sometimes, every tile of the wall texture will be of a sewer discharge pipe, so it's entirely possible to have  every temple in the city consist entirely of shit fountains.

PRE-EDIT: Just ran the game and went through the opening dungeon(Nord Spellsword, not enough magicka to cast Fire Dart ::)) to confirm. Right click a shop/inn/etc. door will tell you the name and mark it on your map. Also, every shop door on the map(red tiles) will have a brown tile(due to the sign) next to it, so every building on the map with a brown pixel sticking out from the door is a shop.

And you're right about turning up the draw distance, I had mine at around 20% because 100% was unplayable.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21182 on: March 04, 2019, 02:22:23 pm »

The silly thing is that my strength is TOO high for a slayer-build, officially, since the +3 STR from power armor counts ;D  So most builds suggest 6, and bank on getting the implant too.  Which seems a bit much, though.

I *might* be getting screwed by my 1 luck, to be fair...  Though I'm not critfailing, just lacking crits.  I'll be totally OP once I get Slayer though!  Only 19 levels then I can start actually killing things if I can reach melee!

*died again to a single gecko getting 3 attacks after moving, taking out half my health in a round*

I don't remember melee weapons getting many upgrades. Starting spear -> slightly upgraded spear you can get like 2 of -> sharp wooden poles that are actually worse -> knife -> power fist, maybe? Huge gap between "finding knives everywhere in the first non-tribal town" to "power fist." That could be a problem.

Also, if you like enemies killing you with crits, you'll love smgs and assault rifles. They're even deadlier mid-game than geckos are early game, which is saying something. And they're deadly in a cone, potentially gibbing most of your teammates.

I like Fallout and Fallout 2 a lot more than the modern iterations, but combat was terribly swingy.

On-topic: I last died in Slay the Spire to a fairly weak enemy after a Goblin Nob took out 90% of my health, like usual. It's always that, 3 slavers, or the goblin master that either summons minions or increases strength.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #21183 on: March 04, 2019, 02:41:20 pm »

Marcus, I love ya big buddy, but could you PLEASE move a little faster?

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #21184 on: March 04, 2019, 03:30:30 pm »

This guy looks like a steel-type Machamp, but he sure loves using hyperbeam.

Furi (One More Fight)
She/they
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #21185 on: March 04, 2019, 04:37:55 pm »

I'm probably just bad at the game in general and like to play builds with difficult starts, like energy weapons, but I've never found the start of the game easy.  The gecko cave in particular is usually a massive pain in the butt.  Even when I played with a small guns build and got the pipe rifle, this is very hard.  There's probably a better gun available by then, or you're just supposed to do it later, but I hate having to come back to it.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #21186 on: March 05, 2019, 12:38:32 am »

The jailer is the key. Kill her and you'll be free.
Don't give up!
Yes, yes!
But no...  ever questioning no.
The many times I was brought back, were they nothing?  Did they not matter?
Over and over, defeated and bound.
Why did they do this to me, for being an exceptional soldier.

Furi
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
She/they

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21187 on: March 05, 2019, 06:22:48 am »

First time out on the plains of Cetus, I learned how to determine an enemy's level... two seconds after I opened fire on it.

They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #21188 on: March 05, 2019, 12:41:04 pm »

Equipped with some new gameplay tips by Akura, a keyboard-remapping hack and DOSBOX performance tweaks from various sources, I jumped back into Arena.

It was still night when I saved last, so the game dropped a nightblade on me the instant I loaded in. Spending 24 hours at an inn only healed around half my HP; as soon as I walked out again, another nightblade was waiting for me.

TES1: Arena.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21189 on: March 06, 2019, 05:31:41 am »

First time out on the plains of Cetus, I learned how to determine an enemy's level... two seconds after I opened fire on it.

I can see why they put cetus so close to the beginning..  Hey we got this new open world!  Lets place it so that everyone can enjoy it!  *proceeds to make the enemies soak up unmodded mk1-braton bullets like sponges as they shoot nuclear missiles back at you*

Just as a heads up, fortuna is a similar deal.  I was MR 16 at the time and I still had trouble soloing the opening story missions on the vallis until I broke out my Zephyr Prime and riven'd corinth.

My death:
A friend decided to get me playing starbound with him again.  Using the frackin universe mod.  First task is to build a communal base.  Sure with BYOS we can just build on our ships, but that's not as fun, so we basically just limit ourselves to some essentials and a small garden on our ships.

Crystal world.  Seems nice.  We take over a NPC town for our basebuilding needs.  Do a few quests for locals, nick all the locals valuables including the walls, spend 2 whole sessions, roughly 4 hours total on the planet, exploring, Surface level mining, and converting the village into a base.

Then the meteor showers start.  My friend apparently did not notice the meteor icon in the planet's weather panel.  And we got incredibly lucky (unlucky?) that the meteor storm weather never got picked during our explorations, so we never saw it until we were already well established. 

Base was leveled, just about all NPCs killed (especially the ones on my side as I had commandeered their structures into the construction of a half built space elevator giving them no shelter whatsoever like a good leader).  Livestock all lost, as we lack the tools to relocate the few that survived. 

RIP the bases "Cat tower"(his) and "The People's Republic of Best Tower"(mine)

Starbound Frackin' Universe mod
« Last Edit: March 06, 2019, 05:36:43 am by Greiger »
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Mathel

• Bay Watcher
  • A weird guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21190 on: March 06, 2019, 01:54:14 pm »

Equipped with some new gameplay tips by Akura, a keyboard-remapping hack and DOSBOX performance tweaks from various sources, I jumped back into Arena.

It was still night when I saved last, so the game dropped a nightblade on me the instant I loaded in. Spending 24 hours at an inn only healed around half my HP; as soon as I walked out again, another nightblade was waiting for me.

TES1: Arena.
For performance: Use ctrl-F12 to raise CPU Cycles, until the sounds starts glitching. Then roll back with ctrl-11 two or three times.

For healing: This depends on you being a spellcaster: Try to split your healing between HP and MP. Get a healing spell and if you have close to full MP but miss a lot of HP, try to equalise them. Unlike later games though, you can not start as a non-caster, then become one.

For quests: Just do not accept them at night. There is no point, as most places where you would deliver to/retrieve from are closed anyway.  And if you do happen to accept a quest at night, just wait until morning. You usually get 2 days to complete them.
The shield beats the sword.
Urge to drink milk while eating steak wrapped with bacon rising...
Outer planes are not subject to any laws of physics that would prevent them from doing their job.
Better than the heavenly host eating your soul.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #21191 on: March 07, 2019, 11:19:11 am »

Killed by a black / green / blue / whatever upgraded bokoblin in one of the first bokoblin camps after leaving the plateau.  I remembered this game having surprisingly unforgiving enemy damage, and even remembered being one-shotted by these guys the last time I played, but it was still a bit of a shock to go from 4 hearts to dead in one hit by what's effectively a trash enemy that ate his wheaties that morning.  Then it happened again.  And again.  It takes enough hits to kill them that melee combat is very risky, and bomb kiting is annoyingly slow.  Will just be avoiding them from now on.

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Perhaps I'll
    • View Profile
« Reply #21192 on: March 07, 2019, 11:26:50 am »

Yeah, the way that health and damage scale in that game is one of the few problems I have with its design. Upgraded enemies have way more HP than unupgraded ones, late game Link has tons more hearts and better armor than early game link, and once you're more powerful you kinda just magically start finding better weapons. To the point that "royal broadswords" were my general use weapon that I found everywhere by the time I was done with the game.
Down at the bottom of the ocean. Beneath tons of brine which would crush you down. Not into broken and splintered flesh, but into thin soup. Into just more of the sea water. Where things live that aren't so different from you, but you will never live to touch them and they will never live to touch you.

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #21193 on: March 07, 2019, 10:40:22 pm »

Since it's been several months since Fallout 4 was on gamepass, I had lost all sense of what I was doing. I decided to just follow the first sidequest that didn't involve any kind of settlers.

I stepped in the wrong radioactive puddle and a giant supermutant(?) named "Swan" appeared. It flattened me in about twenty seconds.

Fallout 4.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21194 on: March 07, 2019, 10:58:08 pm »

I managed to turn my rover on its side. Surprisingly due to user error, not fucky physics. While trying to flip it back upright, I exited the cockpit. That did... something. Propel me into the ground at high speed, I suppose.

Space Engineers.
Pages: 1 ... 1411 1412 [1413] 1414 1415 ... 1570