Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1418 1419 [1420] 1421 1422 ... 1570

Author Topic: How did you last die?  (Read 2245212 times)

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
Re: How did you last die?
« Reply #21285 on: March 22, 2019, 09:23:13 am »

If you intercept the ship (even without weapons) there's a button to "view" it, which is a clue.  Otherwise you need the hyperwave decoder which is moderately far in.  I haven't unlocked it again yet.

The hammer counts as a "ranged" weapon, but with only 1 tile of range, so I consider it useless for attacking enemies since they'll very often shove it out of the way like a gun.  Bit of a shame, but it's an engine limitation which does allow it to target walls.
I mean it makes sense, you try hitting someone with a sledgehammer if they're already up in your face.  you won't be able to do it because that's illegal
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

ggamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Reach Heaven through Violence
    • View Profile
« Reply #21286 on: March 22, 2019, 03:48:30 pm »

See, I didn't know you could knock down walls with the damn thing! that gives it at least some limited utility, especially in early game where you have a very limited supply of blackpowder bombs and sometimes the generated maps bork up a bit. Gives me another reason to use the nearly-unusable backpack slot for my high strength gals.

By the by, is there an X-piratez thread around here? Or an open-xcom thread? I feel like we're cluttering up some of the other threads a bit.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21287 on: March 22, 2019, 04:34:06 pm »

Started a free battle mode to orient myself with how it works, had a crew of variously-ranked members. Equipping troops is very awkward compared to later games/clones, in that you have to put all the gear in the landing craft, then assign everything in the field instead of giving everyone their stuff ahead of time. Tried to give everyone rifles(expectation is of trying an early-game combat scenario), didn't assign enough ammo for everyone to have reserve clips.

First turn, primed a smoke grenade, didn't have the TUs to throw it. One guy awkwardly stands on top of the ramp. Enemy turn: that guy immediately dies. Next turn, I throw the grenade and move some guys towards the ramp. Enemy turn: two more soldiers die. Then the smoke grenade blows. Next few turns are slowly moving my troops down the cramped ramp. The enemy takes one wide shot that hits the Skyranger for no effect. Finally get three guys seeing one Sectoid. Takes several shots before it goes down. End turn, battle won. Negative score.

Three guys getting mowed down on the ramp to bring one alien down?

Spoiler: Seems legit (click to show/hide)

My aircraft got sniped by a tank cannon from so far away that *I* got a Marksman ribbon for it.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

By the by, is there an X-piratez thread around here? Or an open-xcom thread? I feel like we're cluttering up some of the other threads a bit.

I think I saw a dead X-Piratez thread somewhere. I know there's been at least one Let's Play on the relevant sub-board.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

MCreeper

• Bay Watcher
  • My bus is late
    • View Profile
« Reply #21288 on: March 22, 2019, 06:59:44 pm »

You can give equipment before going out on missions, though. Vessels-equipmet-inventory. At least in campaign proper.  :P
« Last Edit: March 22, 2019, 07:06:48 pm by MCreeper »

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #21289 on: March 22, 2019, 11:51:48 pm »

The only way I could play open xcom was to have very similar loadouts for everyone.  I believe once I hit lasers I almost exclusively used rifles, grenades and smoke grenades.  I also had motion sensors, medikits, stun batons and stun launchers, usually bringing 3 of each and making sure they were all out of the skyrangers inventory (AKA equipped to soldiers) prior to the mission beginning.  Openxcom automatically kits out your soldiers according to their strength so usually whatever mess of gear it decided to hand out worked.  With a sanity check to make sure none of the soldiers for example started the mission with a stun baton in their hands instead of a gun.

When Xenonauts 2 comes out, I'd prefer if they let us design character classes as a queue.  As in you list gear to be equipped first to last and it simply stops equipping when the soldier is at full carrying capacity.  And while we're at it, I should be able to assign a character with the best gear and if that's not available it should downgrade it to lower tier equivalents (since everything except armor has a tier 0 version that's infinite) and hand out upgrades in order of rank.  Basically it would be cool to be able to go on a mission and just not look at my squad's loadout at all beyond picking classes.  If there's anything newcom does better than oldcom holy shit is it that.  Oh and I should be able to bring lower tech explosives so that armor can negate friendly fire.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
« Reply #21290 on: March 23, 2019, 12:34:18 am »

Not really sure if this belongs in here, but, well...

I know I died multiple times over the course of the campaign due to reckless play.

As for the endings?

I replayed the final level to see every single one for myself.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Mathel

• Bay Watcher
  • A weird guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21291 on: March 23, 2019, 02:50:22 am »

X-Com: Enemy Unknown via OpenXcom.

What? I thought that OpenXcom only ran UFO:Enemy Unknown/X-Com: UFO Defence and X-Com: Terror from the Deep. Why would it also run X-COM: Enemy Unknown?

Also the description sounds more like X-Com: UFO Defence.
The shield beats the sword.
Urge to drink milk while eating steak wrapped with bacon rising...
Outer planes are not subject to any laws of physics that would prevent them from doing their job.
Better than the heavenly host eating your soul.

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #21292 on: March 23, 2019, 03:06:37 am »

I think they probably meant UFO Defense. I know I get the subtitles confused most of the time.

I followed a ship. It looked like the "civilian" ship page on the Bootypedia. When it landed, it was not a civilian ship at all, but full of Academy people wielding lasers and varmint rifles. The landing was in a desert, so my gals were wearing Tribal gear and had little space for things besides melee weapons. I technically won with no deaths on my side, but it was such a disastrous "victory" that I'm not sure I can continue; about half my gals will be recovering for several months.

Also, either Bootypedia lies or I'm doing something wrong, because I took Stun damage every turn in the desert despite the tribal getup.

X-Piratez.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21293 on: March 23, 2019, 04:32:38 am »

I think they probably meant UFO Defense. I know I get the subtitles confused most of the time.

Yeah, UFO Defense. Could have sworn it was Enemy Unknown. Looking back both through the installation and my GOG account where I downloaded it from, I swear every instance of "Enemy Unknown" that I remember has somehow changed to "UFO Defense". For the record though, the title screen does say "UFO: Enemy Unknown".
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21294 on: March 23, 2019, 04:45:20 am »

Enemy Unknown and UFO Defense are the same game.  I don't quite recall all the details but the game had different names in different regions on it's original release, and from what I understand there was inconsistencies with the naming when the game was essentially re-released.  I assume the people in charge were not in agreement what name to use.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #21295 on: March 23, 2019, 04:48:13 am »

Yeah, there's some naming confusion with the first X-Com game, mostly on account of it not actually being called X-Com (except for the North American release, which was called UFO Defense). Its sequel/glorified reskin Terror From The Deep uses the X-Com name though.

And then the Firaxis game referenced the original by using what amounts to a mashup of the first name.

It only gets more confusing when you factor in X-Com (that is, UFO: Enemy Unknown {AKA X-Com: UFO Defense in NA}) clones like UFO: Aftermath (and the rest of the UFO series) and UFO: Extraterrestrials (not part of the aforementioned UFO series).

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #21296 on: March 23, 2019, 06:53:04 am »

I’m reasonably sure the Enemy Unknown variety had X-COM tagged into it too, from when I was a yoof and had no idea how to play it.

Edit:  nah it was UFO: Enemy Unknown. Ah well.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2019, 07:00:23 am by hector13 »
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Rince Wind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21297 on: March 23, 2019, 06:55:24 am »

I followed a ship. It looked like the "civilian" ship page on the Bootypedia. When it landed, it was not a civilian ship at all, but full of Academy people wielding lasers and varmint rifles. The landing was in a desert, so my gals were wearing Tribal gear and had little space for things besides melee weapons. I technically won with no deaths on my side, but it was such a disastrous "victory" that I'm not sure I can continue; about half my gals will be recovering for several months.

Also, either Bootypedia lies or I'm doing something wrong, because I took Stun damage every turn in the desert despite the tribal getup.

X-Piratez.

You probably took less stun damage then you would have with heavier armor. Try the desert with a gal in a heavy suit once you get them, they will pass out in a couple of turns even if they have max HP.

Mathel

• Bay Watcher
  • A weird guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21298 on: March 23, 2019, 07:13:51 am »

X-Piratez.

You probably took less stun damage then you would have with heavier armor. Try the desert with a gal in a heavy suit once you get them, they will pass out in a couple of turns even if they have max HP.
The way it seems to work is that deserts and rainforests deal some amount of stun in Heat damage type every turn, while arctic places do stun  in Cold damage type every turn. Both of these ignore protection values and are only affected by resistances.

Since stun removal is dependant on current HP, if a gal has enough MaxHP and low enough vulnerability to the appropriate damage type, the stun caused by these sources will stall before it makes her faint. Because stun recovery happens before Heat and Cold effects, unless a gal has is outright immune to them, she will have some stun the whole mission.
The shield beats the sword.
Urge to drink milk while eating steak wrapped with bacon rising...
Outer planes are not subject to any laws of physics that would prevent them from doing their job.
Better than the heavenly host eating your soul.

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
« Reply #21299 on: March 23, 2019, 10:13:01 am »

There are certain items you can bring on missions to help relieve the stun damage, like the canteen of refreshment.
Pages: 1 ... 1418 1419 [1420] 1421 1422 ... 1570