Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1428 1429 [1430] 1431 1432 ... 1448

Author Topic: How did you last die?  (Read 1393398 times)

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
Re: How did you last die?
« Reply #21435 on: May 04, 2019, 06:16:52 pm »

Divinity Original Sin 1 became a "teleport baddies into magma" simulator about 66% of the way through.

I had two teleports and they did not share cooldowns. Every fight started with an instant death, followed by another instant death, and then likely ended in instant death after those cooldowns were done.
In an attempt to make a silly character in the second game I accidentally made a super min-maxed character by going all in on memory, hp, and putting a few skill points into every area except summoning which I maxed out.  The result was a character that never attacked herself but instead had almost every high utility move in the game memorized and could summon things.  Paradoxically I ended up being capable of doing an insane amount of damage as well... I had a turn where I dealt over 6k damage to a single target (although I had to kill myself in the process in order to do it).
Is that the thing where you do a damage link to an enemy character and then cast a spell that's supposed to kill yourself as the cost but the damage ends up getting transferred through the chain instead?
Close, but no, as the damage dealt to me was far more than my max HP.  Basically there's a summon, I think its called a corpse blob, that is made from a corpse and then moves next to an enemy and blows itself up.  Summons scale with your summoning skill, which I had maxed out.  Then I cast supercharge on it, which gives it a huge stat boost (I think double damage or something?) at the cost of it dying at the end of its turn.  Cast the link, then I move next to the boss, then move the supercharged blob next to me.  Double damage dealt to the boss, then double damage dealt to me, for a total of quadrupling one of the most powerful hits in the game.  There may have been more steps, it was a long turn and my spell list was very bloated.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21436 on: May 04, 2019, 08:07:36 pm »

Doesn't it defeat the purpose if you kill yourself?
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #21437 on: May 05, 2019, 10:47:55 am »

The setting in Divinity has a more casual attitude towards death than DBZ... at least for the player characters.  Doesn't seem to apply to anyone else.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21438 on: May 05, 2019, 03:08:12 pm »

The player characters are immensely lucky in the lines of stumbling across scrolls of Resurrection.  It also probably helps that the 2 main characters are spoilerspoilerredactedspoilerobfuscatedspoilerspoilerspoiler
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

amjh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21439 on: May 05, 2019, 03:15:25 pm »

I met a new type of enemy that appeared immune to the weapons I have, but only caused stun damage. They got everyone while I was trying to get my unconscious units to extraction for retreat.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
The truly amazing thing for me here is that a 6 page thread can be created of exceedingly high quality, simply because a group of manic depressive, schizophrenic midgets were able to milk a cow.
Argblarg 5 am not all tiles are done what the

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • they/them
    • View Profile
« Reply #21440 on: May 05, 2019, 03:25:02 pm »

I met a new type of enemy that appeared immune to the weapons I have, but only caused stun damage. They got everyone while I was trying to get my unconscious units to extraction for retreat.

As someone who likes to pretend I know the game (sans endgame), this is horrifying.  I recently restarted (due to basically winning a financial victory in J14 pre J14a patch) and am looking forward to whatever you faced.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21441 on: May 05, 2019, 03:34:34 pm »

Transferred a bunch of gear from Cass to ED-E, so I could dismiss Cass for Boone. Recruited Boone, went to go travel elsewhere, and then the game crashed.

Also have a weird bug where after taking the stuff from ED-E and dropping it in my motel room in Novac(presumably to never be used again), they're marked to be stolen rather than picked up normally. I don't lose Karma for picking it up though.

They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

amjh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21442 on: May 05, 2019, 04:09:39 pm »

As someone who likes to pretend I know the game (sans endgame), this is horrifying.  I recently restarted (due to basically winning a financial victory in J14 pre J14a patch) and am looking forward to whatever you faced.

It was in a special event that can appear very early, but is rare and requires some special equipment.
The truly amazing thing for me here is that a 6 page thread can be created of exceedingly high quality, simply because a group of manic depressive, schizophrenic midgets were able to milk a cow.
Argblarg 5 am not all tiles are done what the

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • The brochure sure didn't mention any of this shit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21443 on: May 05, 2019, 06:08:07 pm »

Reached a floor/section of the facility titled "Military Base - Prepare to Die".

I did.

This was because I had encountered a new enemy type that was apparently capable of phasing through reality or something and in so doing, causing bullets to pass straight through it.

I was not granted this same protection, and was destroyed attempting to exhaust the phasing ability by shooting them repeatedly - to no apparent effect.

SYNTHETIK: Legion Rising.

If anyone knows how I deal with those foes, please let me know. For all I know a possible strategy is to run the hell away and wait for the enemy to deactivate the phase through reality power.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #21444 on: May 05, 2019, 08:00:33 pm »

Died a lot trying to make some jumps in Pump Man's stage.  That was after dying a ton to Sheep Man, although his stage was easy.

And that's after dying so very many times in Wily's fortress in the previous game.

Life is too short to play Mega Man 9 and 10.
Success requires no explanation.  Failure allows none.

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21445 on: May 06, 2019, 02:34:44 am »

Reply #21979 on: May 05, 2019, 08:00:33 pm

Re: What are you currently playing?
Reply #471 on: May 05, 2019, 08:04:35 pm

I think it says something about the casual brutality of the game that you started dying before you started playing:D

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #21446 on: May 06, 2019, 06:16:13 am »

I was on a pretty great win streak. Then I ended up having to solo tank a couple of times (the meta has been dual tank for... years, basically), had a couple of AFK players, and some very questionable picks. My win rate is still well above 50%, but it's a lot worse than it used to be, yikes.

Paladins, ranked, for my sins.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Tu jee, veerey / Toofano se lad ke [Fight, brave one / Fight those internal storms and]
Tu jeet, veerey / Zakhmo se bhid kar bhi tu [Win, brave one / Weather those wounds and]
Firse uthega yaara [Rise once again]

Mel lives again! Fight monsters; fight crime; fight compound interest...

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #21447 on: May 06, 2019, 08:22:50 am »

Reply #21979 on: May 05, 2019, 08:00:33 pm

Re: What are you currently playing?
Reply #471 on: May 05, 2019, 08:04:35 pm

I think it says something about the casual brutality of the game that you started dying before you started playing:D

It's not far off, believe me... I had this feeling of dread just starting Mega Man 10...
Success requires no explanation.  Failure allows none.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21448 on: May 06, 2019, 09:55:58 am »

Hitman 2, newest limited-time assassination contract. It takes place in the map I've spent the most time in. I got to the target, had a costume on, got him separated, and...suddenly I was compromised (costume no longer works, being hunted, shoot-to-kill orders) by half of the people in the building. Managed to hide, kill one security guard that nobody saw, change outfits, got shot to death anyway (to be fair, on that one, I was standing over a body when they saw me. Usually get a few seconds first, though).
To improve communication, all sarcasm and other jokes will be posted in a black font.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21449 on: May 06, 2019, 09:14:57 pm »

Death Wish mode. Accurate description.

The first one is simple, do Chapter 1, Act 5(? where you have to turn off the lava faucets) again, only you now have to worry about burning up yourself if you don't have a dip in some water to cool off. That was easy, it's just the bonus objectives that are murderous. First is "Don't get too hot" meaning you have to stay very close to water. The other, much harder one is "Cool off at most 2 times". I don't think that one is particularly doable with my level of skill, especially since there are no health pickups in Death Wish stages.

I think my save file corrupted. I do have an earlier save from a little while back, just in case.

They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.
Pages: 1 ... 1428 1429 [1430] 1431 1432 ... 1448