Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1442 1443 [1444] 1445 1446 ... 1452

Author Topic: How did you last die?  (Read 1405222 times)

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
Re: How did you last die?
« Reply #21645 on: July 29, 2019, 11:54:13 pm »

Psychic powers had infinite range and didn't require line of sight in the original X-Com too, right?  In that case at least though, if I remember right your soldiers at least had a reasonable chance of shaking the effects off.
Success requires no explanation.  Failure allows none.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #21646 on: July 30, 2019, 01:54:23 am »

Psychic powers had infinite range and didn't require line of sight in the original X-Com too, right?  In that case at least though, if I remember right your soldiers at least had a reasonable chance of shaking the effects off.

Indeed! Infinite range, no line of sight, infinite usage, and the only defenses were PSI defense and Bravery, and PSI defense you could only improve if your soldier had gone through PSI-training, while Bravery only helped against fear attacks (which were admittedly the most common).

Rince Wind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21647 on: July 30, 2019, 03:16:40 am »

Yep, I screened my troops by bravery.

Once you had psi it was the same though. Mind control an enemy, scout, mind control more enemies that the scout sees.
You couldn't go into their inventory though, so no blowing them up with their own grenades.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #21648 on: July 30, 2019, 09:20:00 am »

You couldn't go into their inventory though, so no blowing them up with their own grenades.
'Cept you could though, by going into your troop roster and then scrolling left or right until you wound up on their inventory screen. Couldn't access it directly, but you could if you did that. Also you had to be careful, because alien inventories stacked multiple things in a single slot, and if you picked something up from there and didn't have enough TUs to put it somewhere else you'd be forced to hard-exit the game.

What, you thought there was an aspect of the game that worked as intended? Goodness no.

Rince Wind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21649 on: July 30, 2019, 10:08:20 am »

Why didn't you tell me that 25 years ago?!? :D

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #21650 on: July 30, 2019, 11:29:11 am »

Why didn't you tell me that 25 years ago?!? :D

Because UFOpaedia wasn't even a thing until, like, 2005.

Also I was 5 at the time, and busy being stupid.

Rince Wind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21651 on: July 30, 2019, 11:30:35 am »

Hmpf. Ok, excuse accepted.

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #21652 on: July 30, 2019, 06:03:21 pm »

Since Daggerfall Unity is apparently feature-complete with "vanilla" Daggerfall, I decided to finally buckle down and beat it for like the millionth time.

Each of the five characters I created, both custom and built-in classes, were horribly crippled in some way. It turns out the "Increased Magery" advantage is less of an advantage and more a requirement for any spellcasting class.

Daggerfall.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.
I make games

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21653 on: July 30, 2019, 07:02:54 pm »

Since Daggerfall Unity is apparently feature-complete with "vanilla" Daggerfall, I decided to finally buckle down and beat it for like the millionth time.

Each of the five characters I created, both custom and built-in classes, were horribly crippled in some way. It turns out the "Increased Magery" advantage is less of an advantage and more a requirement for any spellcasting class.

Daggerfall.

1) They're done enough for it to be playable? Cool.
2) I think Daggerfall came out when they expected some level of min-maxing, or they player failing a lot.
To improve communication, all sarcasm and other jokes will be posted in a black font.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm Just Skin And Bones
    • View Profile
« Reply #21654 on: July 30, 2019, 07:25:48 pm »

Yea, you had better take increased magicka if you want to do more than pass aggressive gas at your foes.

All I ever really used magicka for effectively without it is stuff like stamina restoration.  Minor things like maybeeee teleport and waterwalking.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
I track my running!

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Dead Postocalypse lies dreaming.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21655 on: July 30, 2019, 07:26:02 pm »

All RPG's of that era had some kind of sort-of-intentional roguelike aspect to them, for sure.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #21656 on: July 31, 2019, 12:23:14 am »

I got out of Privateer's Hold, having finally settled on a spellsword-esque custom class that I like. I figured it would be safe enough to accept a quest without saving.

Nope. It turns out that the questgiver was "My mortal enemy, Morgavor!" who teleported me to a dungeon. I opened a door and a Warrior hit me for my entire health bar.

Daggerfall.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.
I make games

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21657 on: July 31, 2019, 12:52:42 am »

Trying out "The Hero" with some skirmishes with my friend.  I'm offstage clearly this is the best time to experiment with spells.  I have not played much dragon quest so I doono what these spells do.

I cast Kaklang because that sounds powerful.  I drop like a rock. RIP   

Smash Bros Ultimate
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Hotfire90

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21658 on: July 31, 2019, 09:43:21 am »

Entered a black hole and ended up right next to Blazer, who greeted me with a missile as I was exiting the black hole.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

CABL

• Bay Watcher
  • Has a fetish for voring the rich
    • View Profile
« Reply #21659 on: July 31, 2019, 12:00:28 pm »

Entered a black hole and ended up right next to Blazer, who greeted me with a missile as I was exiting the black hole.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Glad to see a fellow person of culture here!
Pounded in the Butt by my own Government... oh wait, that's real life.

A Viking's Tale - Come and plunder!

I'm not as active as I've used to be on the forums, but I'll still visit it.
Pages: 1 ... 1442 1443 [1444] 1445 1446 ... 1452