Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1452 1453 [1454] 1455 1456 ... 1571

Author Topic: How did you last die?  (Read 2266649 times)

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
Re: How did you last die?
« Reply #21795 on: September 13, 2019, 08:22:38 pm »

Lasers also have fantastic accuracy and are light weight. Even a low-strength soldier can usually manage a laser pistol and a grenade.

That's always been my impression, anyway.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #21796 on: September 13, 2019, 09:32:03 pm »

Yea.  The real benefit of lasers is lighter gear, and less reloading.  The increased penetration helps though.  Adding the new armor helps with staying power, and is heavy as hell too, so it balances out.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #21797 on: September 13, 2019, 10:14:10 pm »

Lasers also have fantastic accuracy and are light weight. Even a low-strength soldier can usually manage a laser pistol and a grenade.

That's always been my impression, anyway.

I've actually been wondering about this.  Laser pistols still do respectable damage from what I've seen, and if you try to carry a rifle and grenade at the same time it gives an accuracy penalty.  Is it worth it to just use laser pistols and grenades?  That way you have the grenade ready if you need it, and can save on the cost of manufacturing the rifles.

There's been a couple of times I was sincerely irritated that I only needed 1 or 2 more TUs to use a grenade and I would have saved them if it was already in hand.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #21798 on: September 13, 2019, 11:55:35 pm »

Probably not, since X-COM armor ratings are damage reduction.  Along with highly random damage rolls (0-200% IIRC), but that still means the extra ROF from laser pistols isn't worth their lower damage.  Too much of it gets ignored entirely.

A similar case is easy to make against laser rifles, but using heavy plasma for everything gets boooring.  Even if it is just better, I was able to beat the game with a focus on laser rifles.  See, the trick is to scout with a disposeable rookie - then have all the actual soldiers, pretty much anywhere else on the map, just let loose.  Original X-COM doesn't have distance penalties, see, only a mechanic for "misses" to hit despite going off-target.  Which matters at close range, but you can still auto-fire across a map with impunity.

Why's that good for laser rifles?  They're accurate and you can literally just autofire them forever, of course!  Law of averages (kidding) means that with enough "snipers", some are going to land, and some of those will overcome the armor.  With heavy plasma you can burn through clips... technically.  Once all the aliens carry it, that's not usually a problem, but it at least calls for a *little* restraint.

Also one of the worst late-game terror enemies is vulnerable to lasers.  Bonus!
Laser pistols are safe to stick on rookies though, good for training their reactions and accuracy if they happen to survive.

As for personal armor:  For me, it is literally for color-coding the soldiers I care about from those I don't.  There's statistically a difference, but heavy plasma barely cares about full power armor much less alloy.

Edit: And yeah X-COM's line-of-fire rules are kinda BS.  OpenXCOM dutifully recreated them as a matter of design philosophy.
The colorful chart halfway down this page, showing unintuitive blind spots, probably applies to OpenXCOM as well.

Not to mention the "Line of sight comes from eye level, line of fire comes from shoulder level", which is to blame for a lot of window situations.  Remarkable attention to detail/"realism" which basically just means frustration in actual gameplay.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2019, 11:58:47 pm by Rolan7 »
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Mathel

• Bay Watcher
  • A weird guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21799 on: September 14, 2019, 03:29:14 am »

I do not know if it happens in OpenXCOM, but in X-Com: UFO Defence, I sometimes had a situation where I could see and rarely even shoot aliens through corners of the UFO. Most common with a medium scout.

About lasers. Laser rifles are my go to in unmodded X-Com. They are powerful enough to take down any threat (with enough hits), do not need to be reloaded, and a sniper with very high firing accuracy can get 2 shots in without being in danger. And they can be even acquired before the first terror mission.
The shield beats the sword.
Urge to drink milk while eating steak wrapped with bacon rising...
Outer planes are not subject to any laws of physics that would prevent them from doing their job.
Better than the heavenly host eating your soul.

Ulfarr

• Bay Watcher
  • Going on a pilgrimage to Mars
    • View Profile
« Reply #21800 on: September 15, 2019, 08:48:29 am »

Build a deck that relies on playing lots of cards in each turn with a focus on damage/self buffing and healing (because it didn't realy have any  defensive capabilities) and the game decides to throw at me the one boss that punishes you for playing lots of cards.

Slay the Spire: Ironclad vs Time Eater, Ascension 12.
Bring Kobold Kamp to LNP! graphics compatibility fix.

So the conclusion I'm getting here is that we use QSPs because dwarves can't pilot submarines.

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
« Reply #21801 on: September 15, 2019, 08:26:19 pm »

Tried to do a run as the thief. I made it to 1-3, and the disaster for that level was "Bounty on your head!"

I didn't really pay this much mind, and killed a slavemaster, freeing his slaves.

As I approached the slaves to pickpocket them (as you do when you're a thief), one of them pulled out a shotgun and attacked me, and his colleague picked up the sword that the slavemaster had dropped.

I didn't survive their combined assault.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21802 on: September 15, 2019, 10:25:10 pm »

Decided to do the Final Exam scenario, a 4v4 mirror match scenario with a Catapult, a shadowhawk, a locust, and a commando on each side.

Catapult fires Particle Projector Cannon (guy didn’t want to play with Long range missles) at my locust. Hits my Center torso and does just enough damage to bypass my armour and do 1 damage to my internal structure.

Roll for Crits. Hits machine gun ammobox. Ammo explosion instantly kills the light.

Commando fires at the rear of my commando with his Short Range Missiles. Hits the back of my Left torso. Does enough damage to strip the fragile rear armour and damage the internals. Roll for crits. Hits the Short Range Missle ammobox of my commando. Ammo explosion finishes off the rest of my Left Torso and overflow damage takes out my centre torso as well. Mech is dead.

Whacks my shadowhawk with a tree he uprooted in the previous turn. Attack hits, roll for location. Location is head. Head is hit for massive damage, but leaving only 1 point of internal structure remaining. Roll for crits. Gets a crit in my cockpit, instantly killing the pilot. Mech is dead.

All of this happened in a single turn. Since we were running low on time, we decided to call it a game after that.

Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21803 on: September 16, 2019, 08:02:44 am »

Build a deck that relies on playing lots of cards in each turn with a focus on damage/self buffing and healing (because it didn't realy have any  defensive capabilities) and the game decides to throw at me the one boss that punishes you for playing lots of cards.

Slay the Spire: Ironclad vs Time Eater, Ascension 12.

Yeah, the game is pretty good on lower difficulties (depending on your luck and skill), but higher difficulties it's pretty much just re-trying until the RNG gives you good rewards for easy fights.

Decided to do the Final Exam scenario, a 4v4 mirror match scenario with a Catapult, a shadowhawk, a locust, and a commando on each side.

Catapult fires Particle Projector Cannon (guy didn’t want to play with Long range missles) at my locust. Hits my Center torso and does just enough damage to bypass my armour and do 1 damage to my internal structure.

Roll for Crits. Hits machine gun ammobox. Ammo explosion instantly kills the light.

Commando fires at the rear of my commando with his Short Range Missiles. Hits the back of my Left torso. Does enough damage to strip the fragile rear armour and damage the internals. Roll for crits. Hits the Short Range Missle ammobox of my commando. Ammo explosion finishes off the rest of my Left Torso and overflow damage takes out my centre torso as well. Mech is dead.

Whacks my shadowhawk with a tree he uprooted in the previous turn. Attack hits, roll for location. Location is head. Head is hit for massive damage, but leaving only 1 point of internal structure remaining. Roll for crits. Gets a crit in my cockpit, instantly killing the pilot. Mech is dead.

All of this happened in a single turn. Since we were running low on time, we decided to call it a game after that.

Yeah, that's what commandos are known for. Less so the locust, but lights shouldn't have ammo.

The head hits are unlikely, but not impossible. My last game involved my awesome getting hit twice during the entire match, with a PPC and a medium laser. Both were head hits. Being unable to run far enough to increase the TN to hit me doesn't help that (there were hills and trees, and the awesome barely moves normally).

Also, what was the other person's to-hit that he got 3 units in one round?

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21804 on: September 16, 2019, 08:52:23 am »

The shadowhawk tree had a DC of 6.

The commando rear missiles was against a 6. I walked him that turn, because I wanted to shoot someone in the rear.

The PPC to the locust was an 8. I made him run through a lot of trees that turn so his evasion wasn’t the highest.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2019, 08:54:14 am by heydude6 »
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

Ulfarr

• Bay Watcher
  • Going on a pilgrimage to Mars
    • View Profile
« Reply #21805 on: September 16, 2019, 10:44:20 am »

Yeah, the game is pretty good on lower difficulties (depending on your luck and skill), but higher difficulties it's pretty much just re-trying until the RNG gives you good rewards for easy fights.

RNG is surely a huge part of the game, I've lost countless times because the game refused to give me any way to generate energy (either with relics or cards) or cards that synergize well together but it's not the sole factor. I feel like I have lost an equal (if not bigger) amount of times due to either mistakes, deck bloating or bad risk assessment.

For a game that uses RNG that much, I have to say StS doesn't feel that unfair.
Bring Kobold Kamp to LNP! graphics compatibility fix.

So the conclusion I'm getting here is that we use QSPs because dwarves can't pilot submarines.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • technical difficulties
    • View Profile
« Reply #21806 on: September 16, 2019, 09:01:26 pm »

In StS, you get an RNG at least five times at the start of each of your turns, lots of cards can do random things, enemies can do random things, and floors can do random things. You're rolling so many dice constantly that any one of them matters less, so you'll only lose for sure if you roll ones constantly, which is unlikely. The game is basically so random that luck doesn't matter as much as a game where, say, success depends on a few dice rolls with high significance.
Insatiable consumption. Ceaseless motion. Unstoppable destruction.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21807 on: September 17, 2019, 12:41:45 am »

Forgot to close a bracket in a very small, very amateur mod. Game crashed for about an hour until I fixed it. Some programmer I am.

Crusader Kings II.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21808 on: September 17, 2019, 05:34:22 am »

During a pivotal moment of battle, I order a squad to throw a grenade right at the center of enemy mass. Pvt. Dumbass drops the grenade at his feet, killing about 8 friendlies. That was after several other attempts to throw a grenade into the same enemy force only for the squads involved to decide to retreat. And after ordering aircraft strafing runs only for the plane to just fly over and do nothing.

They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #21809 on: September 17, 2019, 05:44:06 pm »

Forgot to close a bracket in a very small, very amateur mod. Game crashed for about an hour until I fixed it. Some programmer I am.

Crusader Kings II.

What's the mod do?
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.
Pages: 1 ... 1452 1453 [1454] 1455 1456 ... 1571