Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1439 1440 [1441]

Author Topic: How did you last die?  (Read 1379683 times)

Great Order

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How did you last die?
« Reply #21600 on: July 16, 2019, 09:02:19 am »

Sounds like somebody accidentally disabled the DoW popup.

its actually in the same menu as the major and minor alerts.

yes, in ckii you can turn dow jnto a minor alert, or event just a footnote in the log
Nope, the game sometimes pops up with it, sometimes it doesn't. In the same game I was DoWed without a popup, DoWed with a popup, then DoWed without one again. Each time the attackers were after a title I (or a vassal) had held for decades.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21601 on: July 17, 2019, 12:50:27 pm »

Ratmen are jerks when you don't have real armor. And when you land surrounded by them. And also you have most of your ship filled with expendable peasants instead of useful characters.

X-piratez.
To improve communication, all sarcasm and other jokes will be posted in a black font.

Imic

• Bay Watcher
  • Dig deep, build strong.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21602 on: July 17, 2019, 01:05:13 pm »

I risked flying past the graveyards on the way back to London while low on health.
Grave Robber ship beelined for me and after an intense battle, it 1 hit KOd me.

Sunless Skies

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • Never stabs friends, promise!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21603 on: July 17, 2019, 03:36:21 pm »

Snuck into bandit lair after golum-ie for the thieves guild quest. Tried to fight the bandits. Became corpse. Tried to sneak through spider cave route. Became spider food. Life is not fair when you're wimpy. I literally had to sneak through the entire dungeon and use stealth archer fuckery to get the lizard alone long enough to talk.

Skyrim, thieves guild quest line.
"THEN CAME TOBNOM, ASS-GOD".
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21604 on: July 17, 2019, 08:01:09 pm »

Ragequit due to several bullshit things that happened after declaring war on an enemy empire. Lost a high-leveled unit well away from reinforcement, during a battle in which several enemy units repeatedly resurrected themselves, requiring that I kill all of them in one turn. I did that, except I lost a horse archer, and it took all my leader's casting skills... which didn't help when afterwards I noticed the enemy disjuncted my Inspire Loyalty spell(which cuts troop maintenance in half) and thus couldn't immediately recast it. I think that the auto-resurrect is some global spell, but it wasn't on the list of active spells, so I couldn't disjunct it.

PRE-EDIT: Could have simply been the spell Resurrect being cast by their leader. Which is still bullshit since it only costs 20 casting points. Many spells at that cost don't have nearly as dramatic an effect. Not to mention, I killed one of their units via Banish - same 20CP cost, insta-kills units with "Summoned" or "Magical Origin" if resistance roll fails and prevents Resurrection/Resurgence if it dies, does 25 physical damage if resisted - and they were still resurrected(note: Banish was not resisted).

The other bullshit thing that happened was when the defenders of a city attacked my troops outside. I had held back on attacking since I couldn't get all my units in position around the city. However, when they attacked, it put the battle inside the city hex itself, meaning only two of my stacks were pulled into the battle, despite all three stacks being positioned so that if one was attacked, all three would join in. And not only that, but the enemy got their turn first(normally, defender goes first). It wasn't that I accidentally attacked, since I had no option to abort the attack, and I couldn't retreat.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #21605 on: July 19, 2019, 08:03:05 am »

I tried Soldier of Fortune 2: Double Helix, because I need something new and had read somewhere (I think this very thread) that it was horrifically, disgustingly violent.

Maybe I'm desensitized by decades of injecting Terminator and Mortal Kombat directly into my eyeballs, but it doesn't seem that bad.

Also it's actually really hard. There was a time when people actually thought that limited saves in single-player games were a good idea, mein Gott, the savages.

Soldier of Fortune 2.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.
I make games

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #21606 on: July 20, 2019, 03:34:33 pm »

Man, I don't remember it being this hard to avoid getting soldiers killed on normal mode in XCOM: Enemy Within.  I just hard to restart three separate times because a random sectiod got mind melded then immediately got a critical hit on someone at the edge of its range that one shot them.

The last time was totally my fault though.  Had an assault soldier run and gun after what I thought was the last alien only to uncover 4 more that were flanking him

Ugh, maybe I should give up on trying to beat it without any casualties.  I've come very close twice before, so I know I can do it, but this is getting ridiculous.  Maybe marathon mode isn't a good way to do this either.
Success requires no explanation.  Failure allows none.

Dostoevsky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21607 on: July 20, 2019, 04:23:36 pm »

[Not technically a death, but functionally close enough.]

Mid-day, at the riverside in a swampy region. The three colonists had just finished slapping together a rude wooden shack to contain their beds and kitchen, when they're alerted to the approach of a hostile member of a local tribe. The group's best shot (or, more accurately, the sole person who can reliably hit the broad side of a barn) heads to the perimeter alone. While the colonist only has a matchlock pistol and a knife, the tribal is armed with just a simple quarterstaff.

The first pistol ball delivers a harsh wound, but then the tribal chants holy words of protection - turns out they're a paladin. The next two bullets, along with a few clumsy knife stabs, all fail to penetrate a holy shield, while the tribal's quarterstaff efficiently knocks out the colonist. Up goes the colonist over his shoulder, and off they go into the sunset.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #21608 on: July 20, 2019, 04:45:43 pm »

The arctic air is brutal. Which is weird cuz the water is fine. Like, you can jump into the ocean to avoid freezing to death?

Subnautica: Below Zero
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine {Active again?}
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21609 on: July 20, 2019, 05:37:59 pm »

Miscounted the days, ended up wasting a ton of crops when summer arrived. Jodi won't be getting that cauliflower until next year it seems.

Relationship event where you co-op a top-down arcade shooter with Abigail. She sucks at it. Granted, the only time *I* died during that was when she respawned inside me, preventing me from moving. Afterwards, she suggested I "knew my way around a joystick" with a cat smiley. That may be true but she could probably use some practice pressing buttons. I can help with that.

The arctic air is brutal. Which is weird cuz the water is fine. Like, you can jump into the ocean to avoid freezing to death?

Subnautica: Below Zero

Given that the (assumed) same suit also protects from water pressures that can crush a submarine not properly reinforced, it's best not to think about it.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21610 on: Today at 04:06:48 pm »

Yes, you can do that in certain situations. I don't know the science behind it, but in arctic regions the air is usually colder than the water. The water is still freezing of course, but noticeably less so.
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.
Pages: 1 ... 1439 1440 [1441]