Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1458 1459 [1460] 1461 1462

Author Topic: How did you last die?  (Read 1433608 times)

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
Re: How did you last die?
« Reply #21885 on: October 28, 2019, 08:29:49 pm »

Honestly, I've been considering if I should just take laser rifles for everyone anyway, so when mind control happens they don't immediately slaughter each other.  The lasers seemed to kill aliens in one hit a lot of the time anyway, unless things like ethereals are tougher than they look and I'm just used to heavy plasma killing them easily.

But, really, I should probably just wait until my first round of psionic training completes so I can fight psionic aliens better rather than intentionally cripple my soldiers.  Especially since I'm guessing you really want heavy lasers for sectopods, and those probably aren't mind control safe.  Even laser rifles aren't really mind control safe.  Only comparatively so when thinking of heavy plasma.
Success requires no explanation.  Failure allows none.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #21886 on: October 29, 2019, 03:13:17 am »

Wait, is this OldCOM or NewCOM? Because OldCOM laser rifles were actually pretty sweet, if only because a lot of enemies do in fact have a weakness to laser damage. And, I mean, infinite ammo maaaaaan...

Lasers are perfectly viable throughout the game with a bit of doing, but heavy plasma will of course always have that little extra kick to it.

This was all turned around for TFTD, where not only do gauss weapons require ammunition, but every goddamn fish-fucker is either resistant or really goddamn resistant to gauss damage. I don't think there's a single enemy that's actually weak to gauss, as opposed to landCom where a few are weak to lasers and the resistant ones are actually fairly rare.

Khan Boyzitbig

• Bay Watcher
  • [THOUGHTS:CHAOTIC] [ACTUALLY A SWAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #21887 on: October 29, 2019, 04:13:09 am »

I mean there is mention of ethereals with weapons, newCom ethereals don't carry any physical weapons. They are also less dangerous in comparison and tend to only arrive in ones or twos apart from the final mission.
////;::;\\\\ Scuttle Scuttle...

Milk for the Khorneflakes!

Luminous Bolt of Bacon
"Excuse me sir, You are on Fire."

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21888 on: October 29, 2019, 10:22:21 am »

Yeah, was Open X-COM.  I really have been contemplating just giving everyone laser rifles, and if I ever somehow start running low on heavy plasma ammo I may do that.  I read that flying suits are immune to laser pistols so I'm somewhat tempted to give everyone laser pistols so that mind control isn't dangerous to me, but I'm really not sure if laser pistols are strong enough to take on late game enemies.  I suspect it can be done, but would probably be arduous.  Even if sectopods are weak to laser damage, their armor is still probably strong enough to stop most of a laser pistol's damage even from the rear.

Mathel

• Bay Watcher
  • Skilled shield user
    • View Profile
« Reply #21889 on: October 29, 2019, 11:14:56 am »

I am assuming unmodded. Laser Rifles are a decent weapon through the whole game. Fast enough to kill most things in one round, accurate enough to hit them reliably, strong enough to pierce any armor.

As a bonus, mechanical aliens (Cyberdiscs and Sectopodes) are weak to LASER damage.

Even with the weakness, I suspect a Sectopod could deflect a Laser Pistol beam on front armor. Also, they are too inaccurate to shoot across the map with them.
Edit: Should have read the whole post before commenting on it.
Even if sectopods are weak to laser damage, their armor is still probably strong enough to stop most of a laser pistol's damage even from the rear.
Edit continues:
But a word of warning. Front of Flying suit stops any Laser Pistol damage. The sides have 1/46 chance of letting 1 or 2 damage through and taking 1 armor damage, the back has 3/23 chance of being pierced with 12 damage max. on first shot, the bottom has 11/46 chance of being pierced with up to 22 damage on first shot.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2019, 11:21:51 am by Mathel »
The shield is mightier than the sword.
Urge to drink milk while eating steak wrapped with bacon rising...
Outer planes are not subject to any laws of physics that would prevent them from doing their job.

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #21890 on: October 29, 2019, 05:09:21 pm »

Maybe my character is just horribly crippled and I haven't realised it yet, but Fallout 1 is way harder than I remember. Getting ambushed by a bunch of guys with knives and dying, while realistic, is not what I expected. I seem to remember the 10mm SMG turning crowds into hamburger with very little effort.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.
I make games

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21891 on: October 29, 2019, 05:35:45 pm »

If they're unarmored then automatic weapons are hilariously OP in the first two Fallout games.  If they're armored you might as well spit at them for all the good it does.

The first two games after pretty hard.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21892 on: October 29, 2019, 05:41:23 pm »

Maybe my character is just horribly crippled and I haven't realised it yet, but Fallout 1 is way harder than I remember. Getting ambushed by a bunch of guys with knives and dying, while realistic, is not what I expected. I seem to remember the 10mm SMG turning crowds into hamburger with very little effort.

You might want to look up the 2 armor values and how they work. One is straight damage resist and one blocks damage another way.

Also, yeah they're pretty tough.
No live organism can continue for long to exist sanely under conditions of absolute reality

CABL

• Bay Watcher
  • Has a fetish for voring the rich
    • View Profile
« Reply #21893 on: October 30, 2019, 04:04:23 am »

I killed off some of my wives to marry my daughters, then I've realized that my Court Physician chopped off my dick to heal Flu, so I can't have Daughter-Wifes.

Crusader Kings 2
Pounded in the Butt by my own Government... oh wait, that's real life.

Not running any games atm

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21894 on: October 30, 2019, 06:32:08 am »

Last time I remember, you already couldn’t marry your daughters. The only exception was when one of them was your bastard and you managed to keep it a secret.
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #21895 on: October 30, 2019, 06:41:19 am »

Wouldn’t that be possible with the incesty religions?
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21896 on: October 30, 2019, 07:57:13 am »

Last time I remember, you already couldn’t marry your daughters. The only exception was when one of them was your bastard and you managed to keep it a secret.

Yeah, but Paradox has been listening to what their customers want.

Edit: And my most recent deaths show me it's been too long since I played roguelikes, both in Dungeonmans. At least too long to play a semi-squishy mage. First death was when I walked into a room to find the last enemy that I knew was there. I succeeded, but got killed when I walked through the door. The second death was less preventable: I didn't have my shield up again (playing a mage), and a lizardman commander did have his speed buff up. Saw him round a corner, then saw him stab me.

I may have been able to survive the second situation if I'd have been able to find my first character's ghost. You don't need to fight ghosts in this game, but you do get their weapon with a unique (and random) enchantment added, plus a small boost added to your stats (around +1 to everything), and some of the non-equipment rare loot they had.

I've beaten this game with the first character at my academy once, and used to be able to get most/all of my characters to the point where their ghosts became teachers.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2019, 09:36:52 am by Iduno »
No live organism can continue for long to exist sanely under conditions of absolute reality

CABL

• Bay Watcher
  • Has a fetish for voring the rich
    • View Profile
« Reply #21897 on: October 30, 2019, 12:12:39 pm »

Let me tell you about Zun, The Giver of Justice...
Pounded in the Butt by my own Government... oh wait, that's real life.

Not running any games atm

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21898 on: November 03, 2019, 08:49:32 am »

Apparently I'm one of the 65% of people who took a shipping crate to the face instead of the other guy.

In my defense, William had me in the middle of a fairly long grab animation, so there was no way I could have avoided it in time. The animation was one that triggers automatically without him trying to grab you first.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #21899 on: November 04, 2019, 12:32:29 pm »

Yeah, was Open X-COM.  I really have been contemplating just giving everyone laser rifles, and if I ever somehow start running low on heavy plasma ammo I may do that.  I read that flying suits are immune to laser pistols so I'm somewhat tempted to give everyone laser pistols so that mind control isn't dangerous to me, but I'm really not sure if laser pistols are strong enough to take on late game enemies.  I suspect it can be done, but would probably be arduous.  Even if sectopods are weak to laser damage, their armor is still probably strong enough to stop most of a laser pistol's damage even from the rear.
The only real problem with lasers is mutons.  If you’re like me and openxcon is the first time you got to oldcom later-game content, you’ll be unpleasantly surprised by how high all of mutons’ non-psi stats are.  Like “survive 3 plasma shots and then reaction the soldier to death” good.

They kept the basic matter over mind theme for mutons in newcom.  But they didn’t do justice to just how ridiculous they were.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule
Pages: 1 ... 1458 1459 [1460] 1461 1462