Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1462 1463 [1464] 1465 1466 ... 1571

Author Topic: How did you last die?  (Read 2263988 times)

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How did you last die?
« Reply #21945 on: November 10, 2019, 09:20:46 pm »

*Is a little girl trapped in a creepy orphanage*

*An angry pedophile enters*

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Somehow took the a construction crane to the face... despite not having activated it for the backswing as I was pushed off the controls before I could push the button.

They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #21946 on: November 11, 2019, 12:11:36 pm »

I accidentally hit H for (H)ole up, instead of G for (G)et chest. While I was sleeping, some insects came and ate over 100 HP before my character, already weakened and poisoned, finally woke up.

Ultima IV.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21947 on: November 11, 2019, 02:33:54 pm »

My two core damage dealers are at half, but with heavy bleeding. That's not too bad though, I can restore 80% of their health per turn, and the last mob only fires off a big hit like every five turns.

Next turn, the first guy gets healed. Gets bleed stacked. Then, I heal the second guy, bleed gets stacked on him too, sigh. And then the mob does the most dangerous thing possible: He does his megahit on the unit with damage reflect and kills himself. Combat ends.

Three steps later, my two damage dealers die to bleed since all my healing and debuff mitigation is combat skills/OOC-natural regen, which isn't enough to counter a 40%/turn bleed.

Stench Guzman: Fix this quote, please.
Now celebrating: Two and a half years misquoted. Seriously man. Just fix it. -_-

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
« Reply #21948 on: November 11, 2019, 10:11:40 pm »

After a stressful night where a small crowd (roughly... ten or so, I'd say?) got into my starting house, I headed out and decided to take on a trio of zombies.

I got careless, and, well...

Turns out it only takes a trio of zombies to trigger the "pinned down and eaten alive" animation.

Survived one day, and killed 51 zombies. Playing on "Apocalypse/Survival".

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #21949 on: November 11, 2019, 11:44:49 pm »

My two core damage dealers are at half, but with heavy bleeding. That's not too bad though, I can restore 80% of their health per turn, and the last mob only fires off a big hit like every five turns.

Next turn, the first guy gets healed. Gets bleed stacked. Then, I heal the second guy, bleed gets stacked on him too, sigh. And then the mob does the most dangerous thing possible: He does his megahit on the unit with damage reflect and kills himself. Combat ends.

Three steps later, my two damage dealers die to bleed since all my healing and debuff mitigation is combat skills/OOC-natural regen, which isn't enough to counter a 40%/turn bleed.

That sounds miserable.  Is it a good game aside from that?
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21950 on: November 12, 2019, 02:49:14 am »

That sounds miserable.  Is it a good game aside from that?

I have a rather whiny pair of posts about it in the games-that-don't-deserve-their-own-threads thread, but long story short... I'd give it a tentative thumbs up. If you've played DD, then the playstyle that it imposes will probably be familiar-- explore maps efficiently, exploit buffs/debuffs, play close to the edge for consumables, etc.

It's the last one that kind of did my head in; there's actually a consumable specifically for removing bleed, but I didn't pack enough, since it's not exactly common that you'll end up with that much bleed.

A lot of complaints are from 1.03c and older (I think); I'm on 1.03e which is slightly outdated, but already changed the major complaints that, primarily, things are too expensive. Which isn't really a problem in my opinion-- I'm sitting on a financial cushion that'll allow me to recover from like... four full wipes, and I'm only at the end of the second zone. (Not that it'll help much-- four full wipes in a row will probably set off the game over mechanism. Which, contrary to complaints, isn't too bad if you're actually doing the maps, instead of just rushing for the exit, since full exploration/killing turns back the clock.)

In any case, there's a free demo available that's locked to like 15 minutes of play or something, which should be enough to figure out if you can tolerate it or not. (It's one of those controller>keyboard ports, if that's a sticking point for you.)
Stench Guzman: Fix this quote, please.
Now celebrating: Two and a half years misquoted. Seriously man. Just fix it. -_-

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21951 on: November 14, 2019, 08:27:56 am »

Spent several years designing and constructing a terraforming orbital and a sizable tug to move it, plus upgrades and expansions to the shipyards, etc. Europa is looking like a pretty tasty prospect for terraforming, as are two planets in the adjacent Lalande 21185 system. After the terraformer and tug were built, I try to get the latter to tow the former. I get confused as to why the tug lacks the order to do so.
Spoiler: Of course it's because (click to show/hide)

They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #21952 on: November 16, 2019, 03:14:19 am »

Had a wonderful night killing NPCs with my bro, made a few million in bounties on top of millions in looted goods and salvage, and as we were winding down from our latest conquest (some serpentis clone recruiter) we see another player appear in the local chat, and his status tells us he's just killed someone. So we pop up our directional scanners to get a sense of what we're dealing with and decide whether to run or fight.

The only ship on my scanners is an ibis - the caldari faction rookie ship - and some combat scanner probes. So we immediately say fuck it, let's see what Mr. Toughguy and his rookie ship with one high slot occupied by a scanner can actually do. We've both got destroyers with tier 2 guns after all. I legit wanted to see the mythical rookie pvp ganking ibis fit in action. Imagine our surprise when what at first looks like a battle cruiser warps in right on top of us and instantly opens fire, destroying my brother in seemed like less than 5 seconds. I was utterly baffled when he said "that's it, I'm dead;" I had only just sicced my drones and blasters on the target.

I managed to get three salvos in of my own, but not enough time for my brain to really register what I was witnessing. His ship was called a Hecate, I had busted through his shields as I was literally ramming him and my blasters were firing point blank zero relative velocity, I think I made a hole in his armor but I don't know how much, suddenly my ship is gone, my drones stop firing, I don't know what to do next and before ive really decided I need to run, the screen goes white and cuts to a view of my body floating in space.

And then I'm twenty-five jumps away in a station I could have sworn was not set to my home station. And over the course of five minutes we both start to realize we fucked up, and it would have been impossible to win that fight. But we rose to the challenge because we thought a little birdy was all that was threatening us, instead of a real OP tier 3 menace. My bro didn't even get the chance to fire.

I've come to realize the ibis was probably someone who logged out while their ship was in space, so it was just floating around somewhere. Fuck, we should have run. But at least our ships were worth less than we made ratting.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2019, 03:16:13 am by Eric Blank »
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21953 on: November 16, 2019, 10:18:29 am »

The fact that it *appeared* to be an Ibis with combat scanning probes should, from now on, set off alarm bells in your head, because that ain't normal. In fact, the Ibis was probably as you said AFK or something, as nobody's going to stick however many millions a combat scanning set is worth nowadays on an Ibis, instead the immediate assumptions that come from seeing combat scan probes that don't belong to you are:
1. There's something fitted for PVP nearby;
2. They're hunting people and feel prepared to take down most ships in a straight fight;
3. I don't see any ship that fits the bill on D-scan, which means that I need to make sure I've flown around the system enough to see every bit of it, though if I still can't see it:
4. It may be a cloaked ship, which usually means T3, which means death incarnate unless you're a far more hardened, better skilled, and better equipped player than I am (not that that's setting a high bar on any of those accounts). You will not be killing a T3 cruiser with anything short of a T3 cruiser or maybe a properly-fitted brawling battleship.

Admittedly I'm a wormhole sort of guy so this advice may be a bit tailored for W-space.

However, looks like you're doing pretty well, so keep enjoying the game!
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

Rince Wind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21954 on: November 16, 2019, 01:03:40 pm »

Really depends on the t3 cruiser (That Hecate was a T3 destroyer though.) puts on the table. A properly fitted Stratios for example can kill quite a few of the more common t3 pvp fits by just neuting them to hell and shooting them with drones. And you can do that with some other ships as well.  The Hurricane Fleet Issue should work well as well. Battleships will not fare well most of the time because their guns are only ok at hitting cruisers.

That said, t3 can be really scary.

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21955 on: November 16, 2019, 01:15:10 pm »

I can't barely remember what each of the Minmatar ship names corresponds to, and I fly a dozen of them :P
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #21956 on: November 19, 2019, 09:06:06 pm »

Hold Person, Sleep and Stinking Cloud are so stupidly, ridiculously overpowered. I set the lowest difficulty possible and the enemies still wiped the floor with my party. Why? Because everybody was helpless before I even got a turn. And if it's not a spell that causes helplessness, it's the kapak's paralysis attack. Or poison, which just instantly kills you.

Holy shit this is obnoxious, is this what AD&D 2e was actually like?

Champions of Krynn.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #21957 on: November 19, 2019, 09:13:04 pm »

Pretty much. Except a) saving throws? and b) GM restraint. It's why in our games most GMs were never actually like "You face 4d6 leveling draining ethereal undead." They'd be like "You face two." AD&D could be so punishing that it often wasn't necessary to do stuff like that "Four priests with Power Word Kill", there was plenty of challenge left in just bad dice rolls. Likewise, Type E and F poison was something you used sparingly if ever. No one likes dying in one hit over one dice roll.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2019, 10:06:20 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #21958 on: November 19, 2019, 11:02:35 pm »

Killed by a falling elevator after the predator shot it with its plasma caster.  I think I die at this spot every single time I play this game, since I always forget where you get off the elevator before that happens, and once you hear the plasma shot it's too late.

Only place I died in the entire game as the marine this time, but after playing through AvP2 like 30 times, I've pretty much memorized the alien spawn locations so that's not too surprising.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #21959 on: November 22, 2019, 08:26:27 pm »

The shooting section near the end of Tanker in MGS2 is really tough on Hard difficulty. Since playing MGS3, it's really clear how much tougher an individual guard is when you don't have the choke slam move.

MGS2 HD.
Pages: 1 ... 1462 1463 [1464] 1465 1466 ... 1571