Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1469 1470 [1471] 1472 1473 ... 1571

Author Topic: How did you last die?  (Read 2266477 times)

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How did you last die?
« Reply #22050 on: December 30, 2019, 01:54:56 pm »

How fast were you going? Sounds like you were going too fast for the landing gear to handle the impact force. You should also be slightly pitched up when you make contact with the ground instead of flat, so as to not overstress the forward wheel(s) or even flip forward over them.

I wasn't looking at the moment of impact, but I'm guessing it was between 100 and 200 meters per second. Also, using the very cheapest tier 1 plane parts, so the landing gear wasn't that great.

Yeah, I remember you had to progress past that point so the vehicle would quit exploding while you were trying to take off. The engine does not like collisions, and considers driving a constant series of collisions.

Trying to land at night might be easier. You can't actually see the runway, but the lights make it obvious where you need to go. Touching anything that isn't runway is like 90% chance of full vehicle destruction, though. Staying on the runway can reduce that to like 25% if you're good.

After overcoming some of the "symmetrical doesn't mean it's symmetrical" difficulties in the game, I got more ambitious. My other self-challenge of "how many go to space contracts can I complete during one rocket flight" went disastrously. Even with a rocket weighted to be heavier on the bottom, with gigantic fins set to rifle the rocket to keep it upright, and 0-3 (I tried a lot of combinations) Advanced Stabilizers, it starts somersaulting fairly early. That was any flight trying to use the hitchhiker storage container. I was hoping to use that experience to get a manned science satellite into orbit, but I was stuck building planes that exploded or rockets that kept spinning out of control, and couldn't advance any further. Trying to plan any flight more difficult than a trip around the moon meant my window of opportunity had ended before I finished planning. Then I modded the game with the auto science and autopilot stuff, and somehow everything flew even worse.

The game was good for ~5 hours, then I hit a wall and a pile of things that didn't seem to work right, and all of the community help was that I was playing wrong with no advice. Or the symmetrical rocket was unbalanced, so I needed to balance it by. (I'm kidding. They didn't get halfway to suggesting a fix.) At least the new game will have the same bad engine, with prettier art.

I mean, random turning on the runway is still an issue, but landing works just fine now. I haven't tested extensively, but wheels have only given me issues when driving a car with physics warp on.

Oh shit, physics warp or "make everything explode" mode.

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #22051 on: December 30, 2019, 03:07:06 pm »

The very first cockpit has a strong enough reaction wheel to keep most small rockets straight. I just turn on SAS and let the game keep the rocket straight for me. As soon as I researched vectoring engines there was basically no reason to use solid rocket boosters ever again, and I haven't had a rocket tip over since. Aerodynamics are tricky, especially as you lose stages and fuel (thus changing the center of mass) so unless you actually want your rocket to stay in the atmosphere for a long time I wouldn't bother.

Airplanes are harder than rockets but not that hard. The main thing is having enough wing area, having large enough control surfaces, and keeping the center of lift just barely behind the center of mass.

I only suggest this because it sounds like you haven't, but I recommend just looking up a guide instead of directly asking people. I wouldn't have gotten anywhere without a bunch of diagrams and videos explaining how to make things.

Even with a rocket weighted to be heavier on the bottom,

If the center of mass is close to the center of thrust (i.e. where the engines are) then that just makes it more unstable in flight. If it tips over even a tiny bit, the thrust from the engine will put a lot of torque onto the center of mass, causing it to tip and somersault out of control.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2019, 03:14:24 pm by itisnotlogical »
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22052 on: December 30, 2019, 03:13:57 pm »

Your average rocket should not need fins----whatever you do, do NOT try and spin-stabilize a rocket (I'm assuming that's what you meant by fins "rifling" the rocket)---if it's too unstable, fins at the very bottom of the rock, and use SAS whenever it's available. Sometimes you just have to avoid making any aggressive maneuvers until you're over 30k meters, at which point the atmosphere is thin enough that you should be able to point the rocket as necessary without aero forces throwing you out of control.
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22053 on: December 30, 2019, 03:19:55 pm »

Those damned wolves. I settled in forested wolf territory so it's hard to sneak up on 'em. By the time I know they're there, they've woken up and I end up requiring significantly more than the two spears I've got.

I haven't yet determined how to change the spawn point on a single player world (on a server, it's a simple command; this command doesn't work in SP), I've had to make the km or two dash/swim back home multiple times.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22054 on: December 30, 2019, 05:29:55 pm »

I can see why they refer it as "Nintendo Hard". The second level not only has enemies that require precise timing to avoid/kill due to how much health they have, the level has a very strict time limit; I had only 10 seconds left to fight the boss(which is two of the first level's boss at the same time).

They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #22055 on: December 30, 2019, 06:02:02 pm »

isnt GnG the game that required you to beat it twice to actually beat it?
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #22056 on: December 30, 2019, 06:11:27 pm »

Yup! Also the one with a dozen bootleg copies of it because apparently people can't get enough of torture.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #22057 on: December 30, 2019, 07:57:43 pm »

I do believe that was Ghouls n Ghosts, hactually, on the SNES.

The one for the Mega Drive/Genesis was significantly easier, and you only had to beat it one time.

There is an amusing LP of someone playing it (with save states) and they just scream like Luke Skywalker when they figure out they have to play the game through again. I also think there was a few months between them finishing it once and then doing the second part of the playthrough.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22058 on: December 30, 2019, 08:22:22 pm »

The one for the Mega Drive/Genesis was significantly easier, and you only had to beat it one time.

I've played that one too, and I know for a fact you have to beat it twice to get the good ending.

Much easier, though, seeing as I've actually beaten it.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22059 on: December 30, 2019, 09:35:50 pm »

I never actually finished the second playthrough (even on an emulator... finishing it the first time was hard enough), but
Though, if you were concerned about lives, there was a bit in the first stage where you could grind out infinite lives slooooowly.
Stench Guzman: Fix this quote, please.
Now celebrating: Two and a half years misquoted. Seriously man. Just fix it. -_-

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22060 on: December 31, 2019, 10:24:44 am »

The very first cockpit has a strong enough reaction wheel to keep most small rockets straight. I just turn on SAS and let the game keep the rocket straight for me. As soon as I researched vectoring engines there was basically no reason to use solid rocket boosters ever again, and I haven't had a rocket tip over since. Aerodynamics are tricky, especially as you lose stages and fuel (thus changing the center of mass) so unless you actually want your rocket to stay in the atmosphere for a long time I wouldn't bother.

Airplanes are harder than rockets but not that hard. The main thing is having enough wing area, having large enough control surfaces, and keeping the center of lift just barely behind the center of mass.

I only suggest this because it sounds like you haven't, but I recommend just looking up a guide instead of directly asking people. I wouldn't have gotten anywhere without a bunch of diagrams and videos explaining how to make things.

Even with a rocket weighted to be heavier on the bottom,

If the center of mass is close to the center of thrust (i.e. where the engines are) then that just makes it more unstable in flight. If it tips over even a tiny bit, the thrust from the engine will put a lot of torque onto the center of mass, causing it to tip and somersault out of control.

Yeah, I'm fuzzy on the actual details. I think I bounced off that game ~2 years ago. I couldn't find any guides that helped with the issues I had, other than not to play the way I wanted to.

I actually mostly did fine with planes, except for the exploding while trying to take off. I just quit using them because I couldn't get enough fuel to travel further without the plane being too large to move without clipping into the ground and exploding. I also remember that you can turn the model of the plane 180 degrees in the builder in order to travel the opposite direction on the runway, which was easier to take off from, but sometimes parts would become disconnected in the builder thing and wouldn't connect anymore.

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #22061 on: December 31, 2019, 11:54:09 am »

Fuel is very heavy. Besides the cockpit and other crew areas, fuel is easily the heaviest part of any vehicle in stock KSP. For planes, adding fuel is often a losing game unless you also add a bigger engine or more engines, which means more fuel tanks due to the way parts are attached, so on.

I made it to the north pole of Kerbin and back with just two mk1 fuel tanks and the "Wheelsey" engine, got back with around 3/4ths of my fuel left over. I'm curious how far you were trying to fly if you needed more fuel than that.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22062 on: December 31, 2019, 02:18:38 pm »

Fuel is very heavy. Besides the cockpit and other crew areas, fuel is easily the heaviest part of any vehicle in stock KSP. For planes, adding fuel is often a losing game unless you also add a bigger engine or more engines, which means more fuel tanks due to the way parts are attached, so on.

I made it to the north pole of Kerbin and back with just two mk1 fuel tanks and the "Wheelsey" engine, got back with around 3/4ths of my fuel left over. I'm curious how far you were trying to fly if you needed more fuel than that.

All the way around the planet.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #22063 on: December 31, 2019, 04:58:32 pm »

Jumped off a train several times by mistake.

Jedi: Fallen Order

There's way more acrobatics in this game than I expected, and while I've only gotten through the first level so far, I had quite a bit of wondering where I was supposed to go next, only to realize there was a crazy jump or climb I had to make.

The controls hold your hand on the jumps for the most part, so I just timed a couple badly.  Then I just flat ran off the edge of a train car while trying to dodge blaster fire from the ship shooting at me.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22064 on: January 02, 2020, 07:00:38 am »

Driving trough a field at max speed not really paying attention, and I hit an anomaly which knocked the car onto another one which caused it to explode and like every time that thing has exploded it does it so hard it crashes the game.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?
Pages: 1 ... 1469 1470 [1471] 1472 1473 ... 1571