Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1475 1476 [1477] 1478 1479 ... 1571

Author Topic: How did you last die?  (Read 2262592 times)

Slax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How did you last die?
« Reply #22140 on: February 08, 2020, 01:26:17 pm »

Sounds kind of like Streets of Rogue but that's just a guess.
Confirmed.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #22141 on: February 08, 2020, 01:38:15 pm »

One of my friends who I've been friends with for over a decade decided to play a game of EU4. I played as Austria, he played as Poland. We made a deal that I get Bohemia and they get Slovakia - both of these lands really should belong to Austria in the early-game, but I didn't want to have to destroy my friend just to take over 1 more province than I really needed. So I do my best to make deals wherever possible.

I try to extend the deal so that he stays East of the HRE and I stay in the West; he doesn't accept this part of the deal. He states he wants to expand to include all the slavic lands whilst also having a colonial Empire & the Lubeck trade node; I point out he would surround me on four fronts and undermine the HRE, forcing me to go to war with him. I recommend he scale back his ambitions, he says he'll consider. Later he threatens to vassalise a German minor, to which I respond that I will defend the Empire with force. He says the German minors are not mine, I reply I am the Holy Roman Emperor and they are of the Empire, so no.

He says there is no deal to keep the HRE and Poland separate, but he will not vassalise Magdeburg as a courtesy. I tell the Polish King it's absurd to treat an invasion threat as a courtesy and push for a peace deal; the Polish King replies that they will not agree to such a deal because they want to keep their expansion options open. I caution that this will be their downfall, and they will soon lose everything. The Polish King replies that they will keep this in mind as they expand.

They annex the Teutons and Livonians in one war. I join a coalition of Germans, Scandinavians and bring my own Hungarian allies in to invade Poland & cut them down to size. Cue Poland saying I had betrayed them and that we had no deal. I point out we had no deal, so there is no betrayal, and it's crazy to expect me not to join a coalition against an openly hostile expansionist power.

Our coalition effortlessly overwhelms the Poland-Lithuanian commonwealth and frees a lot of its vassals, while I got to severely weaken my Bohemian rival, who was allied to Poland. At this point my friend begins personally attacking me, calling me by name instead of by character. A third friend on discord intervenes and rightfully points out it's a strategy game, y u hef 2 be mad

My friend & opponent responds that's right, he should be thinking "purely strategically & always play to win like [my name]". This is in spite of me always playing god awful meme nations for fun, even giving away trade provinces in my own home node to Poland just so we can both have fun. In every game we've played, whether it's RPG or strategy he always min-maxes and I dgaf because it makes a fun dynamic when he inevitably invites a coalition of m8s against his hegemony. To put things in context, when we were RP'ing a megacampaign from CK2 to HoiIV, he accused me of metagaming after I invaded his country for assassinating my son. He said I was just using the assassination of my son as an excuse to invade. He then invaded Finland, because it would produce iron 1,400 years later. I do not think he understands what the meanings of RP or metagaming is.

But that's all fun and games, where treachery and intrigue is part of the play. But he chose to make it personal because I wouldn't give him my virtual MS paint land provinces in a DLC simulator?

In the end his country died, but so too did a part of me. Because a friend could be so cruel over a game, I just do not think it's worth it.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #22142 on: February 08, 2020, 07:00:51 pm »

Well I don’t think you did anything wrong. It looks like he’s trying to gloss over his incompetence by implying you’re a bit of a dick, even though you’re trying to make it fun for everyone and he’s the one that tries to take that mile when you give him an inch.

Should you play games with him in the future, you could steamroll him as your most immediate goal in order to show him that you were playing nice all those other times.

Is he one of the ones who tried to conspire against you with another friend during a CKII/EUIV game in which you agreed to play the game a certain way until the conversion to the next game? I think one of you was the Ottomans, some German place and Brittania...
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #22143 on: February 09, 2020, 05:30:05 am »

He was one of the ones in that game yeah, though it wasn't just a conspiracy - he said my country needed to be cut in half with console commands because I was too strong. Our m8s usually do as you say and immediately steamroll him in civ5 or AOE2, now I see why they don't even wait ;P

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22144 on: February 09, 2020, 01:24:24 pm »

Slay the Spire:

Playing as the Silent. Fucking Snecko gives me almost exclusively 3 cost cards. End of the fight, and I'm down to 8 hp. I die first round in the next ? room with a knight and the buffing mage. I think Snecko and the 999 hp enemy that dies after 5 rounds are the only 2 I'd use a smoke bomb (escape the fight) on.

He was one of the ones in that game yeah, though it wasn't just a conspiracy - he said my country needed to be cut in half with console commands because I was too strong. Our m8s usually do as you say and immediately steamroll him in civ5 or AOE2, now I see why they don't even wait ;P

I'd just not play 4x games with that one.

Dreadusa

• Bay Watcher
  • Coding coding coding...
    • View Profile
post deleted
« Reply #22145 on: February 09, 2020, 03:46:23 pm »

post deleted
« Last Edit: April 04, 2022, 06:45:45 pm by Dreadusa »

overseer05-15

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #22146 on: February 10, 2020, 03:17:16 am »

Pride, confidence, dizzying falls, etc, etc.

Going up against the 8 Pounder with a party at near full health, all have less than 20 stress, and a town event that gives bonuses in the Weald. Take out about 3/4 of its HP, and I killed the Matchman and the shooty fella the last turn, so new ones come from reinforcements.

I attacked the wrong one. One Boooooom! later, 4x death's door, then 4x deathblows from the freshly spawned shooter brigand.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
adult food like, I presume, steak and potatoes and tax forms,

My game giveaway

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #22147 on: February 10, 2020, 08:09:01 am »

Going up against the 8 Pounder with a party at near full health, all have less than 20 stress, and a town event that gives bonuses in the Weald. Take out about 3/4 of its HP, and I killed the Matchman and the shooty fella the last turn, so new ones come from reinforcements.

I attacked the wrong one. One Boooooom! later, 4x death's door, then 4x deathblows from the freshly spawned shooter brigand.

Good lord how absolutely stressful. The heart of darkness itself is less stressful than one shooty boi

overseer05-15

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #22148 on: February 10, 2020, 12:36:36 pm »

Good lord how absolutely stressful. The heart of darkness itself is less stressful than one shooty boi

Ironically, none of the enemies in that fight inflict stress damage.

Honestly, most of the boss gimmicks seem either workable/solvable but it feels like you need to brute force this one with an overleveled team. You miss that matchman once & you're fucked, between the pounder itself and the other brigands (who both use multitarget attacks, yay).

I assume everyone has a personal 'that one boss', tho, so I'm not too salty about it.
adult food like, I presume, steak and potatoes and tax forms,

My game giveaway

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #22149 on: February 11, 2020, 10:39:39 am »

Spoilers for Fallen Order, I guess:

I don't think I've ever been so relieved to be done with a game.  Donkey Kong 64 and Banjo-Tooie may have annoyed me more by wasting more of my time, but not even X-COM classic made me as mad as this game constantly did.  Truly, there can be no better training program for a Sith lord than to play this game, with the amount of rage it generates.

I actually told my brother that the game had an interesting story, but you don't get to it until about 20 hours into the game, and I honestly just wish I didn't have to play the game to get to the story.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22150 on: February 11, 2020, 10:56:23 am »

Spoilers for Fallen Order, I guess:

If I wanted to play QTEs, I'd play Warioware. To be fair, I think Warioware only ever had 1 QTE I couldn't figure out, which is the same number as you with Fallen Order, but a much smaller percentage.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #22151 on: February 11, 2020, 11:50:28 am »

Similarly I've been dying quite a lot playing Jedi Outcast. I went in all big and badass, gonna play on hard since I'm older and more savvy now. Turns out Stormtroopers can't aim for shit only in the movies. And you're relatively squishy compared to the endless numbers that get thrown at you. Also another reason why canon 'troopers have bad aim is that the blasters are fucking awful weapons. The spread is stupidly wide and the projectiles themselves have an atrociously low speed, which means hitting moving targets at range is a crapshoot, so your best tactic is to actually get up in their face and blast away most of the time, which kinda means you get shot quite a bit :V
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22152 on: February 11, 2020, 12:38:36 pm »

Similarly I've been dying quite a lot playing Jedi Outcast. I went in all big and badass, gonna play on hard since I'm older and more savvy now. Turns out Stormtroopers can't aim for shit only in the movies. And you're relatively squishy compared to the endless numbers that get thrown at you. Also another reason why canon 'troopers have bad aim is that the blasters are fucking awful weapons. The spread is stupidly wide and the projectiles themselves have an atrociously low speed, which means hitting moving targets at range is a crapshoot, so your best tactic is to actually get up in their face and blast away most of the time, which kinda means you get shot quite a bit :V

Except the blasters Leia and Han used were better somehow. I think Leia got hers off a dead stormtrooper, so that's impressive.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #22153 on: February 11, 2020, 01:53:22 pm »

Nah, Leia just used the force to guide her shots, the Skywalkers are notorious for using cheats like these.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22154 on: February 12, 2020, 04:09:15 am »

Darn Jedi's using their force powers to cheat at everything!
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?
Pages: 1 ... 1475 1476 [1477] 1478 1479 ... 1571