Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1480 1481 [1482] 1483 1484 ... 1571

Author Topic: How did you last die?  (Read 2265812 times)

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How did you last die?
« Reply #22215 on: March 12, 2020, 12:28:37 pm »

Rolling saves. If I’m doing something I expect to take a lot of time, 3 save files used in sequence until they’ve all been used, then overwrite them as necessary in the same sequence.

On top of auto-saves. Because the auto-saves that haven't been overwritten are useful 1% of the time.

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22216 on: March 12, 2020, 08:49:43 pm »

Rolling saves. If I’m doing something I expect to take a lot of time, 3 save files used in sequence until they’ve all been used, then overwrite them as necessary in the same sequence.

On top of auto-saves. Because the auto-saves that haven't been overwritten are useful 1% of the time.

Oy to that. I remember one game (which, unfortunately, I don't remember which one game...) where the autosave somehow got corrupted at an autosave point. So it sequentially overwrote all the autosaves with equally corrupt versions.
Stench Guzman: Fix this quote, please.
Now celebrating: Two and a half years misquoted. Seriously man. Just fix it. -_-

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22217 on: March 14, 2020, 05:36:33 pm »

One of the most bullshit things I've ever seen, according to the kill-cam. A round ricochets off my hull, scrapes a tiny part of the engine cover at an upward angle, and somehow explodes into a massive pile shrapnel. Almost all the fragments dive straight down into my engine, except one little piece that propelled itself through the entire tank to hit every single ammo box in the turret.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #22218 on: March 14, 2020, 07:25:33 pm »

So I got the Visby trough the event thingy and went to try it. T7 match, goes mostly well for us, manage some torpedo snipes and some pretty good spotting damage since the guns are kinda meh and you don't get smoke, so your best bet is playing spotter and hoping your torpedos land while you're unspotted. Last few enemies are left, one of which is an Izmail which is a T6 USSR battleship, took some damage, at about half hp now, I figure, he's distracted shooting our bb's so I might as well rush him down and torpedo him from point blank range. I manage to close in to about 4 kilometers before he notices and starts turning to blast me out of the water, launch all six of my torpedos at about 2 km's and all six land. Fucker stays afloat with a sizeable chunk of hp remaining, like, I barely dented the bastard with the 6 torps doing some 27k dmg between them, which is bloody sad. So I resign to my fate and start blasting ineffectually at him with my main guns while his secondaries finish me off. All in all, I am not the biggest fan of these torpedoes so far.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22219 on: March 15, 2020, 03:07:37 am »

Was trying to help a friend get rex.  In order to do that we need to take an item called a fuel array to a special location in one of the random maps. If the person carrying the fuel array ever goes below 1/2 hp, it explodes.  The map we need is usually level 4.

Plan was after the first map we would have him drop the fuel array for whatever random Q item we'd find, beat the stage and then have him go back to pick it back up when the boss was killed.  If he died I would go pick the fuel array up to carry it into the next stage then drop it for some random Q equipment and continue as normal. (Stage change revives any dead players but only items in inventory can be carried to another stage so I have to take the fuel array losing whatever good equipment I was using up til that point.)

Great plan he does not have to worry about dying when he reaches half hp and we still progress.  He is far worse at staying alive than I am...somehow. I really don't consider myself very good at the game, and we make great progress!   But we don't get the right map.

'Maybe we'll get it sometime during the next loop.' I think not knowing exactly how the map generation works after loop 1.  So we continue, it gets a little touch and go in places where we fail to find an equipment box and he essentially goes to take cover and fight small enemies on the other side of the map while I solo the bosses. And a point where he dies after dropping the array and I solo 4 imp overlords as Mercenary in multiplayer.

We never get the map we need to drop the fuel array off at we instead get the obliteration portal.  Which unlocks a completely different character one that is arguably more difficult to get.  We opt to get that character instead.  So we obliterated at the obelisk, on monsoon... with a fuel arrY.  My friend unlocks mercenary instead of rex. I unlock the oni mercenary skin (as I was already playing as mercenary)

Mission failed successfully.

Risk of Rain 2 (Yes I know this could be an own but we failed at our original task and the obliteration obelisk kills you anyway)
« Last Edit: March 15, 2020, 03:28:39 am by Greiger »
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #22220 on: March 15, 2020, 07:36:55 am »

IIRC you can avoid the obelisk portal and use the regular teleporter to continue your run further, tho how viable it becomes as it keeps scaling up is a different issue.

Also there is apparently a portal in the obelisk realm that you can take to get back to your run but I've never used that one, think it's on a small island near the obelisk itself.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22221 on: March 15, 2020, 11:26:28 pm »

When we realized that we got to the obelisk portal we pretty much decided to obliterate.  My friend didn't have merc yet and he banked on the guaranteed merc over a chance of continuing on to keep trying for rex, possibly messing up and instead getting neither. 
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

CABL

• Bay Watcher
  • Has a fetish for voring the rich
    • View Profile
« Reply #22222 on: March 16, 2020, 12:49:58 am »

Decided to update Xbox app, so that it shuts up about updating. Updated and got my Master Chief Collection broken and impossible to launch (Google/DuckDuckGo say nothing). Time to re-download almost 29 GB, yay!
Pounded in the Butt by my own Government... oh wait, that's real life.

Much less active than I used to be on these forums, but I still visit them on occasion. Will probably resume my activity in full once Dwarf Fortress will be released on Steam.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #22223 on: March 17, 2020, 06:13:29 pm »

Toying around with the graphical KeeperRL that was just kindly released for free , i started to make my lair .
After making several structures and having my imps mining lots of ores and gold, i got myself with 6 orcs , 2 goblins and 1 healer when a bandit squad decided to attack due to my gold stockpile increasing after mining a good amount of them.
The orcs have been training for a while and i had crafted equipment so i was sure i was ready.

My healer was unfortunately stuck outside, i guess it was a mistake to build this rock trap where i did (basically blocking the entrance corridor, but i didn't knew how to remove it)
The healer bravely charged at the bandit group that was approaching and got himself immediately killed.
I assigned the 6 orcs and my keeper into a squad and took control of the keeper (he had some spells by now) , i waited and waited for the enemy to  break my doors but no bandit came.

Leading my warband outside i noticed why, the rock trap i had build in the middle of the corridor had left corpses all over when the big rock rolled in there.
After this victory , i decided it was time to try to get into an unsuspecting village , to loot and possibly capture some people.

As there was the presence of a " ? " nearby, the orc warband went there following their master in the hope it was something worthy of attention.
There was a house and some crops , a villager was working, when he saw what was coming he tried to flee, but the orcs managed to get to him and kill the poor bugger quickly.

I noticed castle walls  on the left of the house , so with my little army i circled the castle until the entrance and i got my keeper to start hammer the big doors, the goal was to break it , then move back and leave the orcs do the carnage while supporting them with magic missile.

Sadly i did the usual mistake when you have a very repetitive action to do, you just hold or repeatedly press the move key so the unit hammer the door multiple time, then you look at something else, not noticing that the door is destroyed and that as you keep pressing the key ... the keeper charged into the castle.
After getting seriously badly wounded, i tried to have my keeper run toward my orcs that were left behind.

Unfortunately it was too late, the very strong swordman and his fellow soldiers finished the keeper foolishness in a brutal way.

Damn.

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #22224 on: March 17, 2020, 07:21:25 pm »

Turns out I was having so much trouble in Champions of Krynn because I'm an idiot. All of my characters had multiple level-ups waiting for them. I had thought that the game would highlight party members that had enough experience, but that didn't happen until Death Knights.

Champions of Krynn, aka "Hold Person quickdraw"
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22225 on: March 18, 2020, 09:55:18 am »

I'm playing KOTOR 2 as a light side space mage. I got to the portion on Nar Shadaa (smuggler planet) where I am trapped in a maze full of traps without my team. I made it through. Then I needed to use an underleveled non-fighter to win some arena combat against a wookie, and then some sort of lions, then elite dicks with swords that do almost half of my health at a time. I used up most of my medpacks and grenades, but I did it. Then my space mage got killed, and I hadn't saved.

I'd play the original, but it crashes when it gets to any of the in-game FMVs.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #22226 on: March 18, 2020, 10:40:53 am »

I prefer force lightning and choking over stunning and stat buffing tbh, but space wizard is absolutely hard mode.  almost everything in the game lacks force points, so they lean on strength.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #22227 on: March 18, 2020, 02:36:54 pm »

The sections where it says "forget your character, play as this guy now" are some of the most annoying parts of KOTOR 2. I love the writing but the combat is tedium itself, as it is in practically all Aurora Engine games.

IIRC you can't miss with lightning, it's a "save for half damage" sort of deal.

By the way, are you playing with Sith Lords Restored Content Mod? It adds some stuff worth seeing, but also a lot of tedium (in the form of being stopped by three mini-bosses practically everywhere you go.)
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22228 on: March 18, 2020, 03:45:52 pm »

I prefer force lightning and choking over stunning and stat buffing tbh, but space wizard is absolutely hard mode.  almost everything in the game lacks force points, so they lean on strength.

The robes that currently give me +4 wisdom help. Most enemy types seem to have a 100% failure rate with their saves now. Space Wizard certainly takes more min-maxing than "flurry+dual wield+strength", but is more interesting.

By the way, are you playing with Sith Lords Restored Content Mod? It adds some stuff worth seeing, but also a lot of tedium (in the form of being stopped by three mini-bosses practically everywhere you go.)

Yeah, I've got a few mods, including the restored content.

I love the writing but the combat is tedium itself, as it is in practically all Aurora Engine games.

I prefer KOTOR 1 for the slightly better early game (1 less tutorial planet) and end game, and 2 for the mid-game. Also, KOTOR 1 has an options menu for auto-pause, which means I can choose which character is doing what every round if I so choose, which I usually did until the fight is sufficiently one-sided, but they didn't include in 2.

I would do so again, but figuring out how to make it playable on my Windows 7 machine is a pain. I found a patch that is supposed to fix the resolution of the movies, but it didn't seem to work.

Edit: Tried the fight against the wookie again, almost won, and got critted for 42 of my 54 hp before I could use another medpack. Man, it sure is a good idea to combine swingy RNG with solo fights so you can't mitigate bad luck and need to go through 5 minutes of unskippable cut scenes before you can try again.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2020, 04:53:32 pm by Iduno »

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #22229 on: March 18, 2020, 05:31:18 pm »

I forget, does Mira have access to the whole party's inventory? Could try giving her a boatload of shields and stims before the fight starts. I remember kiting and using mines was also helpful with fights I couldn't beat fair-and-square, though it's been a long time since I played KOTOR2.
Pages: 1 ... 1480 1481 [1482] 1483 1484 ... 1571