Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1481 1482 [1483] 1484 1485 ... 1570

Author Topic: How did you last die?  (Read 2243955 times)

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How did you last die?
« Reply #22230 on: March 18, 2020, 06:35:47 pm »

Yep. That's the way to do it when you're outnumbered by melee characters (who get a bonus against ranged) every fight.

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #22231 on: March 19, 2020, 04:26:44 am »

DAAUUUUGH I MADE THE SAME MISTAKE AGAIN.

There is exactly one magically locked door in all of Champions of Krynn. It can only be opened by the "Knock" spell, which can only be cast by red mages, which can only be certain races and alignments. This door is near the very, VERY end of the game, in the second-to-last dungeon. It has the Dragonlance, aka the thing the setting is named after, aka you're not beating the game without this stupid thing.

In my first play-through I had a red mage, but they didn't know Knock and I didn't have any scrolls with Knock. This time, I don't even have a red mage.

I really didn't want to use Gold Box Companion to cheat again, but it looks inevitable. When I start Death Knights for the second time, I'll dump somebody and make a red mage. Pinky promise to myself. I'll probably forget again

Champions of Krynn, aka "screw you for making your own party"
« Last Edit: March 19, 2020, 04:28:19 am by itisnotlogical »
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22232 on: March 19, 2020, 10:11:21 am »

DAAUUUUGH I MADE THE SAME MISTAKE AGAIN.

There is exactly one magically locked door in all of Champions of Krynn. It can only be opened by the "Knock" spell, which can only be cast by red mages, which can only be certain races and alignments. This door is near the very, VERY end of the game, in the second-to-last dungeon. It has the Dragonlance, aka the thing the setting is named after, aka you're not beating the game without this stupid thing.

In my first play-through I had a red mage, but they didn't know Knock and I didn't have any scrolls with Knock. This time, I don't even have a red mage.

I really didn't want to use Gold Box Companion to cheat again, but it looks inevitable. When I start Death Knights for the second time, I'll dump somebody and make a red mage. Pinky promise to myself. I'll probably forget again

Champions of Krynn, aka "screw you for making your own party"

Dragonlance is somehow even more on rails than the rest of D&D. There's a reason they made their money just writing novels so the players couldn't make decisions.

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #22233 on: March 19, 2020, 02:45:12 pm »

I like the Dragonlance setting though, and for the most part I like the games. It's just that when they decide to be annoying, they are extremely annoying.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22234 on: March 19, 2020, 05:39:20 pm »

I like the Dragonlance setting though, and for the most part I like the games. It's just that when they decide to be annoying, they are extremely annoying.

It has a lot of interesting ideas (unless you look too close to the weird Mormon ideals in parts of the setting), but it is very on-rails.

Trying the no item run of Slay the Spire. Attempt 600: "you're doing a great job of dodging all of those elite monsters that would give you items for winning. How's about a free tungsten rod as a reward." Me: Thanks...Fuck. Attempt 601: ...

Edit: I almost made it to the 3rd boss, and then the stupid 999 hp enemy who hits for 70 damage in their final round found me. As the silent, who has 70 hp.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2020, 03:48:40 pm by Iduno »

Eschar

• Bay Watcher
  • hello
    • View Profile
« Reply #22235 on: March 20, 2020, 10:38:51 pm »

I became low on health during the 2nd level, starting level 3 with 13% health. I walked around the first corner and a Nazi one-shotted me.

The strategy of "walk quickly forward and then back out of sight so you can tell from enemy exclamations how many are there and you can pick them off as they come around the corner" works much better in Doom II (and also needs a shorter name.)

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: March 20, 2020, 10:41:29 pm by Eschar »

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #22236 on: March 21, 2020, 12:49:37 pm »

like most fps games back before passive regen, i regularly played on hard and regularly went from checkpoint to checkpoint.  Remember, the only health point to count is the last!
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22237 on: March 21, 2020, 06:25:08 pm »

Was informed one of the neighborhoods right near home was under attack by the Ballas. I race there, but my car catches fire. I try to ram it right at the group of Ballas trying to kill them in the explosion, but for some reason I can't bail, resulting me being killed instead. Since I had just done a fairly irritating mission, I didn't simply reload the save.

After that: the mission was going well, three of the Vagos were down and Smoke was getting hits on the fourth. Then I got clipped between the train I was chasing and one coming the other way. Lost half my health and the bike was dragged by the Vagos' train a good distance. Right as I recovered the bike, it happened.

"All you had to do was follow the train, CJ!"

They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #22238 on: March 22, 2020, 11:09:05 am »

I walked into a cave. A few steps in, we triggered a trap that created a wall of flames. A gremlin walked by on the other side of the flames. All of my party members rushed into the fire and promptly collapsed into a pile of their own spilled guts.

I have a feeling this is going to be my new least favorite RPG combat system.

Ultima VII Part 1.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22239 on: March 22, 2020, 01:15:46 pm »

I became low on health during the 2nd level, starting level 3 with 13% health. I walked around the first corner and a Nazi one-shotted me.

The strategy of "walk quickly forward and then back out of sight so you can tell from enemy exclamations how many are there and you can pick them off as they come around the corner" works much better in Doom II (and also needs a shorter name.)

Oh man, I'm starting to think about DoomRL again.

Rince Wind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22240 on: March 22, 2020, 02:46:46 pm »

I didn't play Multiplayer and I didn't do out of game stuff (which wasn't advertised ingame anyway), so my overall war readiness stayed at 50%. I thought it might have something to do with the difficulty, and it wasn't explained ingame, so I ignored it.
I died in the ending cutscene.
Who thought this was a good idea?

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #22241 on: March 22, 2020, 02:52:40 pm »

EA, obviously.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #22242 on: March 22, 2020, 03:53:35 pm »

I didn't play Multiplayer and I didn't do out of game stuff (which wasn't advertised ingame anyway), so my overall war readiness stayed at 50%. I thought it might have something to do with the difficulty, and it wasn't explained ingame, so I ignored it.

You can not die in the ending cutscene without doing either of those things though?
Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22243 on: March 22, 2020, 04:16:54 pm »

Hitman (and Hitman 2) is a game of careful planning and timing. And I'm having a great time just dipshitting my way around. So far this last run, I screwed up trying to get a chef into a room so I could steal his clothes 3 times, then got seen and had to kill everyone in the kitchen, nearly getting caught, forgot to put on a disguise for a bit and got chased, carefully hid a body, but put the gun in someone's path (which I could have just carried, or paid attention), completed the last mission story for the level without getting caught (got caught the first time, because I didn't know what all of the steps were, or that I was drawing the target in) but only barely because the target's guards know what the other guards look like. Then I successfully lured and killed the other target, which apparently involved her guards standing outside, then entering the room as I was dragging the body towards the door (I could see people standing there, but didn't think about why that might be).

There were also like 3 other times I almost got caught, because I can't/don't ignore the temptation to push people off stuff or shoot every camera. Or ring the dinner bell while I'm sneaking around.

Even if I could figure out how to video my playthroughs, it would probably cause my PC to start on fire; it's not exactly a lightweight program.

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #22244 on: March 22, 2020, 04:39:00 pm »

Mass Effect 3 is all about pyrrhic victories and a growing understanding that your fight is probably hopeless. It took everything you had to stop one Reaper in the first game, and the galaxy still hasn't fully recovered. Taking on the Collectors--not even a Reaper, just their flunky invasion force and a half-built prototype--was considered a suicide mission at the end of ME2. You're preparing for extinction as much as for the final battle. Shepard suffers frequent nightmares throughout ME3, possibly an attempt at portraying PTSD in an action game. The costs of victory, either potential or unavoidable, grow higher and higher as the game goes on until you're nearly burnt to a crisp and practically dragging yourself across the battlefield--potentially after watching two more party members die, on top of everybody else. It's not the game's fault that you expected an unambiguous, totally happy ending.

But IIRC you just need to get 100% single-player completion, or very close to it, and it's revealed you survived in a post-credits stinger. I tried once but it's a bastard with all the scanning sidequests.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2020, 04:42:52 pm by itisnotlogical »
Pages: 1 ... 1481 1482 [1483] 1484 1485 ... 1570