Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1487 1488 [1489] 1490 1491 ... 1571

Author Topic: How did you last die?  (Read 2266700 times)

xaritscin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How did you last die?
« Reply #22320 on: April 24, 2020, 02:58:18 pm »

got wardecced by another empire out of nowhere. i claimed one of their colonies which was nearby. they return with a fleet of heavily shielded vessels with gravidic weaponry directly on my doorstep. goddmanit, not even in normal difficulty i can be on equal ground to the AI

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

PT: Naxxilians are awesomesauce
« Last Edit: April 24, 2020, 03:00:35 pm by xaritscin »

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22321 on: April 24, 2020, 09:45:50 pm »

I'm back to playing Endgame:Singularity, in which you are an AI trying to research how to better yourself, while also making enough money to afford server fees so you can continue to exist. If you do too much stuff, people start noticing, and you lose when people are too suspicious (or detect your last server).

Each time I play, I'm losing sooner and sooner. I'm mainlining stealth first, but I'm wondering if other techs that I'm not getting soon enough open up the tech tree more.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #22322 on: April 25, 2020, 04:05:28 am »

I very briefly tried playing that game and it's so obtuse

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22323 on: April 25, 2020, 04:27:19 am »

I'm back to playing Endgame:Singularity, in which you are an AI trying to research how to better yourself, while also making enough money to afford server fees so you can continue to exist. If you do too much stuff, people start noticing, and you lose when people are too suspicious (or detect your last server).

Each time I play, I'm losing sooner and sooner. I'm mainlining stealth first, but I'm wondering if other techs that I'm not getting soon enough open up the tech tree more.

I just beat it twice in a row on Normal and whatever Normal+1 is with the same strategy-

Spoiler: "Late game." (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: April 25, 2020, 04:52:43 am by Aoi »
Stench Guzman: Fix this quote, please.
Now celebrating: Two and a half years misquoted. Seriously man. Just fix it. -_-

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #22324 on: April 25, 2020, 07:39:13 am »

Is the ending of that game bugged still? I remember playing it years ago and basically getting to the end of the tech tree and nothing happening, like, I technically completed the game but it never gave me an end screen or something similar.

My death wasn't so much a death as it was an utter failure in getting my bearings right as I got lost looking for resources and wandered about for almost an hour before stumbling back into familiar territory. As good as vehicles are for autonomy and saving you tethers you really need to pay attention where you're going unless you wanna get lost. The haul was decent tho with 4 research items in tow and a bunch of minor stuff I've found along the way. I then proceeded to fire up my first lab and in trying to fire up the second one managed to delete 3 out of my 4 artifacts, because while the game requires two clicks to confirm an action, it requires a single click to cancel it, and it uses the same goddamn button for both actions, and canceling a research for some reason outright destroys the artifact.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22325 on: April 25, 2020, 08:49:53 am »

Is the ending of that game bugged still? I remember playing it years ago and basically getting to the end of the tech tree and nothing happening, like, I technically completed the game but it never gave me an end screen or something similar.

I had the same thing happen the first time I won, like a decade ago. I think that's why I want to beat it again; to see the ending.

My death wasn't so much a death as it was an utter failure in getting my bearings right as I got lost looking for resources and wandered about for almost an hour before stumbling back into familiar territory. As good as vehicles are for autonomy and saving you tethers you really need to pay attention where you're going unless you wanna get lost. The haul was decent tho with 4 research items in tow and a bunch of minor stuff I've found along the way. I then proceeded to fire up my first lab and in trying to fire up the second one managed to delete 3 out of my 4 artifacts, because while the game requires two clicks to confirm an action, it requires a single click to cancel it, and it uses the same goddamn button for both actions, and canceling a research for some reason outright destroys the artifact.

Getting lost in games is annoying, but the terrible control schemes are killer. I've ragequit Hitman a few times because the button for "hide this body" is the same as "open the door I'm hiding behind, so everyone can see my carry a body." Also because it's time-sensitive and you can't always tell what something is without picking it up, which may or may not turn everyone around you hostile.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22326 on: April 25, 2020, 12:02:10 pm »

I hate combat in this game, where even the lowliest bandits are capable of taking multiple arrows to the chest, then parrying every strike and countering with a flurry of blows that always hit even through a perfect guard. Yet I can't even make a simple slash without coughing a lung worse than a 60-year-old smoker with coronavirus, being so out of breath like that.

They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22327 on: April 25, 2020, 07:09:28 pm »

I had the same thing happen the first time I won, like a decade ago. I think that's why I want to beat it again; to see the ending.

It ended perfectly fine for me (image is from Normal)--

After this screen, your suspicion/detection goes away and can you can build bases to your heart's content. At just under 1 sextillion money, I ended up in an endless loop of the save/load/quit/etc. screen that I couldn't exit.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2020, 07:11:20 pm by Aoi »
Now celebrating: Two and a half years misquoted. Seriously man. Just fix it. -_-

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #22328 on: April 25, 2020, 08:06:10 pm »

Puked on by a rabbit that looks like Bowser's head with arms and legs attached to it, wearing a purple suit.

Through pain, I find wisdom.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #22329 on: April 25, 2020, 08:58:28 pm »

After this screen, your suspicion/detection goes away and can you can build bases to your heart's content. At just under 1 sextillion money, I ended up in an endless loop of the save/load/quit/etc. screen that I couldn't exit.
Huh, I never ran into such a bug, but maybe I didn't find the game as long ago as though as I thought.  I'd guess at least 5 years, hard to say.  In any case, it worked fine for me.

It's *lovely* in a tragic way.  And somehow grindey while taking only a little real-world time.  I found it satisfying.  It's got the "numbers go up" of an idle game without the brutal time investment, and an actual threat which you can hide from...  You can be almost discovered and survive, if you react appropriately.

And Python!  Such a lovely language.
Heh.  Of course I'd love this game.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22330 on: April 25, 2020, 09:37:17 pm »

Huh, I never ran into such a bug, but maybe I didn't find the game as long ago as though as I thought.  I'd guess at least 5 years, hard to say.  In any case, it worked fine for me.

It's *lovely* in a tragic way.  And somehow grindey while taking only a little real-world time.  I found it satisfying.  It's got the "numbers go up" of an idle game without the brutal time investment, and an actual threat which you can hide from...  You can be almost discovered and survive, if you react appropriately.

And Python!  Such a lovely language.
Heh.  Of course I'd love this game.

Since you're only really going to hit numbers like that after you finish the game, I figured that it was a numerical limit: you're well past the needs of the game, and proceeding too much further may cause unexpected behavior, so it was capped then. (Though if my memory serves, 2^64 is pentillion and 2^128 is the step past decillion, so it's kind of a weird place.

Laterigrade

• Bay Watcher
  • Is that a crab with
    • View Profile
« Reply #22331 on: April 27, 2020, 05:26:51 am »

Frost magic to the face from a Necromancer. The Magicka drain can be really bad, especially when you’re foolishly trying to tank-heal yourself.
and the quadriplegic toothless vampire killed me effortlessly after that
bool IsARealBoy = false
dropping clothes to pick up armor and then dropping armor to pick up clothes like some sort of cyclical forever-striptease
if a year passes, add one to age; social experiment

pikachu17

• Bay Watcher
  • PADORU PADORU
    • View Profile
« Reply #22332 on: April 27, 2020, 08:54:52 am »

I wasn't paying attention, and I died on wave 30 of the endless scenario because I didn't notice the enemy was a damage reflector and ending up killing myself with 32 damage, 12 more than my max health.

Circadian Dice.
Sigtext!
dwarf 4tress from scratch
The Pikachu revolution!
Thank you NatureGirl19999 for the avatar switcher at http://signavatar.com

A warforged bard named Gender appears and says"Hello. I am a social construct."

MCreeper

• Bay Watcher
  • My bus is late
    • View Profile
« Reply #22333 on: April 29, 2020, 02:54:06 pm »

Don't Starve ROG. The game trolls me.

1. Did run around for 7 days searching for gold and found none. Killed myself with spiders.
2. Gold, gold, gold everywhere. Passed by no less than 50 gold rocks. Rocks and gold lying on the ground everywhere. Glommer statue, doorway to adventure and pig king (gives gold for meat). No carrots, no berry bushes or grass to speak of. A small place with tons of ponds and damned frogs. Being unable to find a proper place to settle, decided to check out caverns. All was fine at first (besides still no food), but then came the horrors.  ::)

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22334 on: April 29, 2020, 03:42:11 pm »

Don't Starve ROG. The game trolls me.

1. Did run around for 7 days searching for gold and found none. Killed myself with spiders.
2. Gold, gold, gold everywhere. Passed by no less than 50 gold rocks. Rocks and gold lying on the ground everywhere. Glommer statue, doorway to adventure and pig king (gives gold for meat). No carrots, no berry bushes or grass to speak of. A small place with tons of ponds and damned frogs. Being unable to find a proper place to settle, decided to check out caverns. All was fine at first (besides still no food), but then came the horrors.  ::)

Klei games are always interesting, but I also always feel like I'm fighting the game mechanics more than the enemies.
Pages: 1 ... 1487 1488 [1489] 1490 1491 ... 1571