Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1488 1489 [1490] 1491 1492 ... 1570

Author Topic: How did you last die?  (Read 2245122 times)

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
Re: How did you last die?
« Reply #22335 on: April 29, 2020, 03:44:26 pm »

Heh, some Klei games dont even have enemies.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22336 on: May 04, 2020, 01:03:17 am »

So when you wage a 10 year war on ming as an island nation who isnt japan . . . and then find out that the war goal isnt 'hold the random island with your very superior navy' but 'show superiority' because the game places diplomatic insult CBs above conquer CBs.

It wasnt all bad though, I got several hundred ducats worth of gifts from various superpowers, and I burned the fuck out of beijing.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2020, 01:04:50 am by pisskop »
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Majestic7

• Bay Watcher
  • Invokes Yog-Soggoth to bend time
    • View Profile
« Reply #22337 on: May 04, 2020, 01:22:20 am »

I like to play a good guy, so I popped in a solar system looking to investigate a distress signal. I got immediately jumped by two pirate fleets lying in wait. I can take this, I thought, since although they had a lot of ships, they were all shitty pieces of flying junk. I ordered all of my combat ships deployed (except frigates, those would come in as reinforcements later) and organized them around a sensor jammer. It was pretty much Helm's Deep in space with drug-crazed pirates flying space junk dying en masse.

Then I did a classic mistake - I noticed one of my carriers was in trouble after being flanked by fast enemy destroyers. I rushed to help the Star Witch and pushed the enemy destroyers back. As my blaster barrage overwhelmed their shields, they started withdrawing. My mistake was becoming overconfident and bloodlusty. Instead of holding the line, I started pursuing, thinking I'd be able to destroy or damage them quickly and then come back to the formation. Well, I didn't pay attention to the surroundings and a light attack cruiser charged in, cutting me off from my other ships. My shields were quickly overpowered when attacked by two destroyers and the LC from different directions. And that is when the enemy torpedo bombers swarmed me...

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22338 on: May 04, 2020, 03:43:10 am »

Not quite a death but a lot of wasted time equivalent to a death in most games.

Moved my (small) TV and nintendo switch from one side of the room to my computer desk by the monitor so I can play it while sitting in the desk chair instead of having to sit on the floor to play the switch or watch tv.

Moved everything safely didn't drop a thing.  Turn on the TV, still works. Put the switch back in the dock... No dice.  Instant panic.

I spend a good hour looking at it.  Switch itself works, but it's not docking.  Check the docking mechanism, looks fine, blow it out with compressed air and clean what I can with IPA.  Notice the power connector is coming right out of the port way too easily.  Look up youtube videos.  Getting ready to take the whole dock apart to figure out whats wrong.

....I was plugging the power into the wrong slot.  I was plugging the power into the inside controller slot. Switch it to the right port and it works immediately.

Life: Pre spaceflight DLC.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22339 on: May 04, 2020, 07:27:57 am »

Check the docking mechanism, looks fine, blow it out with compressed air and clean what I can with IPA.

"Well, that might be the problem... you're cleaning your electronics with beer." India Pale Ale, IsoPropyl Alcohol, same thing, really...
Stench Guzman: Fix this quote, please.
Now celebrating: Two and a half years misquoted. Seriously man. Just fix it. -_-

Imic

• Bay Watcher
  • Still sad
    • View Profile
« Reply #22340 on: May 04, 2020, 06:15:21 pm »

Neck snapped by peanut. In the end the last standing mtf killed peanut, and was then in turn killed by chaos insurgents who spawned on top of him.

Scp secret lab.
Imic's no longer allowed to vote.
Quote from: smyttysmyth
Well aren't you cheery
Quote cabinet
Regrets every choice he made and makes, including writing this here.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22341 on: May 05, 2020, 12:55:00 pm »

I've beaten KOTOR before, I've even beaten the stupid arena before. This playthrough, however, Marl (the melee combatant) seems to move faster or something, and always kills me.

I just now wondered if I have an adhesive grenade.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22342 on: May 05, 2020, 02:35:14 pm »

Was building a thorium reactor. For some reason, probably low pressure in the pipe, the coolant wasn't being piped into the reactor. I happened to be flying over it at the time. Took a while to rebuild the industry lost; I redirected some resources to a builder drone factory since they *usually* auto-rebuild destroyed blocks.

A little later, a boss showed up. My gun-wall took out about a third of its health, and then it chased me over a different thorium reactor group. While dodging its shots, a stray bullet must have taken out a piece of coolant pipe. On the plus side, it took the boss out as well. On the negative side, by the time I got the reactors rebuilt and my power levels up to a positive number, I was already launching off the map. Not helping was the fact that the game mysteriously forgot what was lost(when rebuilding, there's normally a helpful ghost image of what was destroyed), meaning the builder drone didn't rebuild them automatically.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22343 on: May 06, 2020, 08:35:31 am »

The Plutocracy took over my country by a total span of 3 frackin' days, due to a few rando events firing.

The painful part isnt the army morale lose or even the lose of the other estates, it was the undoing of the event.  300 admin lost, and 2 development stripped out of my capital for something I could have almost just lived with.  Except for the lose of the other estates, it wasnt anything game breaking for my run.  I dont need army morale when I can buy more mercs than russia has men or when I can send my unrest to the moon with well-chosen ideas.  But I need my extra monarch points because Ive already developed 2 institutions.

3 days.....
PKs DF Mod!

Eschar

• Bay Watcher
  • hello
    • View Profile
« Reply #22344 on: May 06, 2020, 10:02:35 am »

The Plutocracy took over my country by a total span of 3 frackin' days, due to a few rando events firing.

This isn't the Ameripol thread

Mathel

• Bay Watcher
  • A weird guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22345 on: May 10, 2020, 04:19:00 am »

I invited a guy with a strong claim to a county into my court, forced him to matrilinearly marry one of my kinswomen, then pressed his claim. I easily won the war, making him the count there.

Why this thread then?

Before my army even returned home, he got declared on by a neighbouring count. I had no option to join the war to help him.

Crusader Kings II
The shield beats the sword.
Urge to drink milk while eating steak wrapped with bacon rising...
Outer planes are not subject to any laws of physics that would prevent them from doing their job.
Better than the heavenly host eating your soul.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #22346 on: May 10, 2020, 06:54:09 am »

Didn't exactly die but the setback just made me quit the current session. See, I had my ritual underway, lost some towns to the chaos puppets but managed to get rid of them eventually. Was doing fine but decided I wanted to fully secure the region of the Frozen City, north of  Karond Kar, had all but one of the settlements which was held by rando norsca dudes (and causing all sorts of chaos corruption problems), declare war, wipe the settlement and take it figuring I'd peace them after a bit since they held trash and inhospitable places that I didn't particularly want or need right now. But the fuckers call in a random beastmen army to help them, now I wasn't expecting it to be a problem since Alith and his big bad army were already up north. Turns out these bastards came in from the south (no idea how the AI had contact with them either) and promptly razed one of my ritual settlements near Karond Kar.

There's one turn left on the ritual, none of my two armies are anywhere near it to rebuild it, if I recruit a new one it can't get past the full stack of beastmen sitting on top of the ruins. And if I don't have all the ritual spots by the time it ends it goes poof and I have to do the whole thing again, including fighting off the chaos invasion :I

"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22347 on: May 11, 2020, 07:18:32 pm »

Framedeath at 2 months.  How the hell do people play nowadays?  Or do they not embark on large sites?  I used a 6x6, and all i did was breach a cavern

Dwarf Fortress
PKs DF Mod!

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22348 on: May 11, 2020, 10:20:37 pm »

I don't think I've embarked on a site bigger than 3x3 in....3 years?   Maybe more?  Though I think world size/age plays a role too.  All anecdotal though.

And for the sake of adding a death to the thread:

Wanted to tame a Ripper hound for my colony.  In the time it took for the colony trainer to finish his other tasks and actually go try and tame the thing, the hound had managed get it's ass handed to it by an Emu, losing a leg and getting infections in two different places.  I still rescued it and brought it to a animal sleeping spot outside the base walls to tend it thinking I could augment the thing with bionics to make a super bionic death aliendoggo.  Instead it died to infection, because I overestimated the power of herbal medicine.

I guess don't mess with Emus.

Rimworld.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22349 on: May 12, 2020, 07:04:34 am »

Lost several builders to fire elementals because I was building an ancillary near the corruption. The problem was, the builders were going over to the ancillary, doing one build action, then walking over to a graveyard nearby over in the corruption and punching it. This provokes the mobs inside to come out and swarm whatever is attacking it(I've been sniping with ballista towers so far). Besides the obvious undead, one type of creature that can spawn are fire elementals. These are dangerous. The only practical way I've got to kill them is to godpimpslap them into a nearby lake and watch them fizzle and die like they deserve. ...Which requires them to walk out of the corruption because I can't use god-powers on things inside it.

I think I finally rage quit when one of my most experienced builders, who was also heavily pregnant at the time, died and then reanimated as a zombie because she died in the corruption.

EDIT: Just remembered the one I wanted to post instead of the one above.

Saw a screenshot of someone getting swarmed by a death-stack of AI-designed ships. Using the screenshot, I tried to make a design based off the ships in the death-stack. Overall the design is nice: fairly speedy and a good ceiling height, armed with two cannons and a grapeshot cannon. Limited it to TL1 components in case I wanted to use it in a campaign as an early vessel. And as such, moderately cheap.

First attempt at battle-testing it, the opposing ship simply ramps mine, destroying the grapeshot and one of the normal cannons. Second attempt, this time against a rather silly design of mine armed with nearly a dozen ballistae, it proceeds to focus all the ballistae on the suspendium chamber(which shouldn't be possible, hit locations are more-or-less random), which detonates it.

« Last Edit: May 12, 2020, 07:17:44 am by Akura »
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.
Pages: 1 ... 1488 1489 [1490] 1491 1492 ... 1570