Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1494 1495 [1496] 1497 1498 ... 1571

Author Topic: How did you last die?  (Read 2264212 times)

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How did you last die?
« Reply #22425 on: July 16, 2020, 10:04:13 am »

I mean, you answered your own question as you asked it. It forces an increase in playtime by making you start over after fucking everything up until you eventually manage to get to the end. It’ forced replayability.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22426 on: July 16, 2020, 02:58:14 pm »

What's wrong with my spoilers?

Nested spoilers don't work.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #22427 on: July 17, 2020, 02:12:50 pm »

Was trying to figure out how to route my coal line trough some rather vertically challenging terrain (serves me right for picking the mountain biome on my first try) and stood at the edge of a rather tall cliff looking down at the conveyor/power line coming towards my base. Then one of those headbutting assholes spawns behind me and knocks me right off. It doesn't end there though because I land right in the middle of a poison cloud and next to one of those angry poison spitting bastards. And when you respawn you do so with a sliver of hp remaining, meaning the run was super fun in trying to get there, get all of my shit and get out before any of the things murdered me. Still haven't gone back to get my chainsaw, tho I mostly don't need it right now since coal power is power pretty much everything.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #22428 on: July 23, 2020, 12:35:03 am »

Exploded and mercilessly slaughtered repeatedly trying to do the weekly event.

The event has two conditions.

1. The party has a "distance pool" that is a number representing the total distance between each party member. When you're right on top of each other, the pool is full. As you spread out, the pool is depleted. If everyone spreads out, the pool is depleted very quickly. If just one person is distant, since the rest of the party isn't eating up the pool, the one individual can put a little more distance between themselves and the party. When this pool gets below zero, everyone starts taking damage repeatedly until people close the gap and the pool is above 0. And the farther below zero the distance pool is, the faster everyone takes damage ticks until your health is just melted away in a couple seconds.

2. Every 45 seconds to a minute, a wave of screaming rats with bombs strapped to them rush the party. If their detonation hits you, you take damage and go absolutely sailing through the air from the horrific amounts of knock back.

As you can imagine, condition #2 plays off condition #1 to the degree you can experience a total party wipe in just a few seconds. It's absolute madness. I've spent the last 5 hours playing in lock step with 3 other people I've put over 100 hours into the game playing along side, trying to beat this event, and the demands on my attention and reflexes has been so total I feel like I have PTSD from combat, shouting orders and tactics to the near constant backdrop of screaming and explosions. Compared to REGULAR gameplay, which is already demanding enough at the top end of difficulty and the event adds to, this shit is on an entirely different level and has demanded better play from me than anything I've done in the game so far. It's almost plays like a different kind of game.

We didn't beat a single mission.

« Last Edit: July 23, 2020, 12:38:38 am by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #22429 on: July 23, 2020, 02:41:55 pm »

vermintide is endtimes or takes place just after the skavan dropped the moon onto a city?
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #22430 on: July 23, 2020, 03:25:46 pm »

vermintide is endtimes or takes place just after the skavan dropped the moon onto a city?

I'm not entirely clear on the chronology. But I can say that in VT2, the Skaven and Chaos have completely overrun everything and many city maps look like a moon was dropped on them. And Vermintide 1's official title is Warhammer: End Times - Vermintide.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2020, 03:29:41 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22431 on: July 25, 2020, 07:03:17 pm »

Saw I had two targets left. Shot down an enemy triplane, looked at the score and saw I still had two targets left. Looked around for more enemies, lost control in part because the constant controller vibration made my arm a little numb, crashed into the ground. Looked at the score again and saw I had three targets left.

They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.

MCreeper

• Bay Watcher
  • My bus is late
    • View Profile
« Reply #22432 on: July 27, 2020, 10:53:46 am »

They say elves are OP. Wolves are OP! Three squads of wolves jsut humilated four squads of high elves, them four more, two of them generals.
EDIT: Fuck the wolves. Now they crushing defeated 7 squads at once. On autobattle, despite the game showing the odds you would expect.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2020, 01:28:59 pm by MCreeper »

Imic

• Bay Watcher
  • Still sad
    • View Profile
« Reply #22433 on: July 28, 2020, 01:55:43 pm »

I was finally in the vault, but not yet rid of the security cameras, so I positioned myself just right so that I couldn’t be seen, and turned on the lift. Except it turns out it was too dark for me to notice that I wasn’t standing on the lift, I was standing underneath the lift, and since the lift was made of solid steel and presumably powered by some electro-steam piston uncaring of mortal flesh, I was very quickly trapped and crushed.
Imic's no longer allowed to vote.
Quote from: smyttysmyth
Well aren't you cheery
Quote cabinet
Regrets every choice he made and makes, including writing this here.

MCreeper

• Bay Watcher
  • My bus is late
    • View Profile
« Reply #22434 on: July 28, 2020, 05:22:03 pm »

I found another game i have any kind of connection issues in, in addition to The Flaming Shit of a connection Twilight Frontier do - Dark Souls 2. And even then, while you can't really enjoy it's superb combat when your opponent actually backstabs the air then teleports 10 meters to the side and kills you with one well-lagged combo, it connects! From Ukraine to Australia even!
EDIT: Unrelated self-answering question - so far i was parried two times, but never met another pyromancer. So a feature for hardcore cibersportsmen is more prevalent than an ordinary easy to use magic class (Ha! Ha! Ha!). Why so?
« Last Edit: July 29, 2020, 01:40:52 pm by MCreeper »

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #22435 on: July 30, 2020, 03:05:03 am »

Not "died" per se, but the Iron Crows, my Battle Brother´s mercenary company, suffered some very hard to replace losses. My starting archer first got brain damage and then was killed. Afterwards I lost one of my frontliners in a scuffle with spiders, and after THAT I had a brigand leader with a twohander kill another two veteran frontliners. I had several come and go recruits afterwards, in part because low experience made them more easily killable, in part because I was experimenting with frontline formations trying to find something that was more survivable. Some of those experiments were actually terrible ideas which where both micromanagement hell AND inefficient at killing. In the end I´ve gone back to a slighly more curated approach of my initial combined arms: I keep swordsmen at the sides, with emphasis on veterancy on the edges, because those are the ones more likely to get dogpiled, so its good that they dont break and that they riposte the dogpilers. In the middle I keep guys with other weapons; I´m favoring flails because the target head thing can be situationally very useful, and the avoid-shield thing is convenient in shield-pushes (esp vs ancient dead), but I dont have a huge fetish and I´m willing to change those guys to axemen or hammermen, if those prove more convenient.

The idea is that the veterans at the sides will hold the guys trying to flank me, and the guys in the middle will hopefully pummel the vanguard and then assist the guys at the sides.
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22436 on: July 30, 2020, 04:15:03 am »

A chunk of rock the size of an island fell on my head, killing me instantly.

Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22437 on: July 31, 2020, 07:51:16 pm »

Airport mission 5: To the Tower!

This is probably the worst mission out of a otherwise a fun game. The objective is to destroy the top of an old, condemned ATC tower, but not the bottom half. The problem is that the bottom half is extremely weak, in fact it looks like it's made of far structurally-weaker pieces than the top half. ...Probably why it was condemned.

The main method, using a long-arm excavator(basically, a massive jackhammer) doesn't work; the vibrations and falling debris from the top eventually do too much damage to the bottom. I've tried putting an explosive charge, but the shockwave from that instantly causes a failing amount of damage to the bottom. The closest I've gotten from watching a walkthrough video is using the excavator to climb atop the tower, crack a hole through the top and use the sledgehammer/pickaxe to sap away at the bottom sections of the tower top from inside. This unfortunately, fails when the top collapses on top of the bottom too much.

I would just use the pickaxe to destroy it piece by piece, except this mission is under a very short time limit. This implies that it's supposed to be done by some quick and dirty method, as every other mission I've seen has very generous time limits. Technically, the time limit is only for a bonus, but still.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #22438 on: August 01, 2020, 09:43:14 am »

Again, not "died" per se, but TBH the supposedly lucrative noble house merc contract for warfare was not worth it in the end. It took so long that I basically broke even money wise, I lost three soldiers, and lost some armor. I did salvage two greatswords out of the mess, which is something I guess.

I have hired some mooks to refill my shieldwall and I´ll do a string of smaller contracts. Hopefully some of them will live long enough to be useful.

(battle brothers)
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22439 on: August 01, 2020, 03:07:16 pm »

Of all things, the Praise the Sun meme made it into Smash. In the form of a Spirit fight titled "Sun Salutation", which pits you against a total of six Wii Fit Trainers spamming their neutral special, which fires a bright ball of energy while striking a pose Solaire would be proud of... which is also called Sun Salutation I've just learned. Whilst the "Lava Floor" rule is in effect.

Unfortunately, I was playing as Sheik, who isn't very optimal for this particular fight.

Pages: 1 ... 1494 1495 [1496] 1497 1498 ... 1571