Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1499 1500 [1501] 1502 1503 ... 1571

Author Topic: How did you last die?  (Read 2267911 times)

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
Re: How did you last die?
« Reply #22500 on: September 29, 2020, 08:49:14 pm »

Very much the wrong thread
« Last Edit: September 29, 2020, 09:00:57 pm by hector13 »
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

The_Explorer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22501 on: September 29, 2020, 11:53:32 pm »

Can you consider a rage quit dying? I mean...I did die so it fits in the thread...but that wasnt really how I last died, cause I kept going a bit longer and then played other games. Well hopefully fits here lol

So I got siralim 3 recently and was enjoying it. But then in middle of the battle, one of my gems (fan of knives), my only AOE gem and a really good one at that, supernova'd or whatever they call it (overcharge is what it is, on the gem happens super rare, and then breaks afterward)...and...yup it broke. I died in that fight cause I relied so much on that ability. And the game makes you grind for gems (which is okay), but you can't choose what gem to grind for (so it would take dozens or hundreds or more of hours to get fan of knives again, and my death character never found a summon gem at all). So I tried going without that gem and it was too bad and I was too angry. So I quit and uninstalled lol
« Last Edit: September 30, 2020, 12:02:20 am by The_Explorer »

DeKaFu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22502 on: September 30, 2020, 04:06:47 pm »

Can you consider a rage quit dying? I mean...I did die so it fits in the thread...but that wasnt really how I last died, cause I kept going a bit longer and then played other games. Well hopefully fits here lol

So I got siralim 3 recently and was enjoying it. But then in middle of the battle, one of my gems (fan of knives), my only AOE gem and a really good one at that, supernova'd or whatever they call it (overcharge is what it is, on the gem happens super rare, and then breaks afterward)...and...yup it broke. I died in that fight cause I relied so much on that ability. And the game makes you grind for gems (which is okay), but you can't choose what gem to grind for (so it would take dozens or hundreds or more of hours to get fan of knives again, and my death character never found a summon gem at all). So I tried going without that gem and it was too bad and I was too angry. So I quit and uninstalled lol

I assume you mean Ethereal Knives (Fan of Knives is a monster ability). Spell gems can be Supercharged (200% effectiveness but breaks on use) but it's not something that happens randomly - it's an inherent property of the spell gem, and it triggers 100% of the time if it has it (unless you have the monster ability that cuts that to 50% of the time - that's found on the Stag Royal or equipment with the "Endlessly" trait).

Main options I can think of for what happened:
- Your spell gem was always Supercharged but you somehow had the Endlessly trait equipped and had managed to luck out on the coin flip until then.
- You accidentally added the Supercharged property to your spell gem without realizing it at the Arcane Vault (assuming you had it unlocked).
- It was a temporary gem granted by an ability that was Supercharged (because temporary spell gems have random properties), and the (non-Supercharged) gem you'd been using until then was actually safe and sound. That wouldn't explain it getting unequipped, though.

Whatever happened sounds frustrating, but I wouldn't give up on the game just from that. A lot of the fun of the game (in my opinion) comes from seeing what the game gives you and trying to craft powerful teams and strategies based on that. It sounds like you're still early on where choices are somewhat limited, but as you progress you'll end up with an insane number of options that let you craft teams that obliterate everything in one turn.

The_Explorer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22503 on: October 01, 2020, 12:28:38 am »

I assume you mean Ethereal Knives (Fan of Knives is a monster ability). Spell gems can be Supercharged (200% effectiveness but breaks on use) but it's not something that happens randomly - it's an inherent property of the spell gem, and it triggers 100% of the time if it has it (unless you have the monster ability that cuts that to 50% of the time - that's found on the Stag Royal or equipment with the "Endlessly" trait).

Main options I can think of for what happened:
- Your spell gem was always Supercharged but you somehow had the Endlessly trait equipped and had managed to luck out on the coin flip until then.
- You accidentally added the Supercharged property to your spell gem without realizing it at the Arcane Vault (assuming you had it unlocked).
- It was a temporary gem granted by an ability that was Supercharged (because temporary spell gems have random properties), and the (non-Supercharged) gem you'd been using until then was actually safe and sound. That wouldn't explain it getting unequipped, though.

Whatever happened sounds frustrating, but I wouldn't give up on the game just from that. A lot of the fun of the game (in my opinion) comes from seeing what the game gives you and trying to craft powerful teams and strategies based on that. It sounds like you're still early on where choices are somewhat limited, but as you progress you'll end up with an insane number of options that let you craft teams that obliterate everything in one turn.

It was the starting gem for sorcery. I dunno why it was supercharged, unless that gem starts with it by default? I gave it to the spider occulist since the gem is kinda made for it.

All I did was added generous trait, but looking at what the trait is, all its supposed to do is let the other pets in the party also use it but just costs more mana. Does it do something that isn't listed? Cause I never added the supercharged trait to the gem. (edit: Oh and added cast twice to it, maybe it was the combination)

In any case, started over as someone else.

(edit: making good progress with my death character. Finding it pretty easy so far and a lot of fun. I guess once get to the death realm can buy the summon dead spell)
« Last Edit: October 02, 2020, 01:55:06 am by The_Explorer »

MCreeper

• Bay Watcher
  • My bus is late
    • View Profile
« Reply #22504 on: October 02, 2020, 04:45:49 am »

Got stunlocked in a corner by three fucking rats. In addition to somehow being killed by jailers,  ::) falling for obviuous bait trap (it's just one zombie, what it can do? Ah, it's one of those...), getting hit by wormthing once (can i offer myself a nice fireball in this trying time? No? Fuck you) and accidentally opening mimic twice in a row after two failed attempts to kill it (i suspect there are more mimics than chests. Which is kinda against the point). Oh, and darkmoon blade rushed right past me and invader with DUR fighting each other. Way to help, blind fucker!

Dark Souls 3

On somewhat unrelated note, my constant miserable failures at DS and touhou got me pondering about ye olde flash "bullet hell" Light Heroes and how i played it vastly better as 7 year old than five years later. Is my reaction degrading? >:( Or maybe it was because the game lagged in first case? Got to check it out again...
« Last Edit: October 02, 2020, 05:07:10 am by MCreeper »

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
  • Trans fucking rights, baby.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22505 on: October 02, 2020, 04:18:53 pm »

I can't say I know the chest/mimic ratio in this game, but the chain trick and giving every one you see a healthy smack in the face before you open it are good methods to keep yourself safe.
Black lives matter.

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22506 on: October 02, 2020, 06:34:55 pm »

On somewhat unrelated note, my constant miserable failures at DS and touhou got me pondering about ye olde flash "bullet hell" Light Heroes and how i played it vastly better as 7 year old than five years later. Is my reaction degrading? >:( Or maybe it was because the game lagged in first case? Got to check it out again...

One's skill in bullet hells isn't based on reaction speeds. They are more about memorizing an enemy bullet patterns and dodging accordingly. It's totally possible that you've forgotten the patterns in the course of 5 years.

If there is a primary skill in bullet hells, it would be making tiny precise movements to fit through equally tiny gaps (fine dexterity), but a well designed bullet hell should also allow you to occasionally use strategies like streaming (baiting an enemy into shooting somewhere far away from where you plan on actually being) which are not reliant on micro-dodging.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2020, 06:39:51 pm by heydude6 »
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22507 on: October 02, 2020, 11:13:19 pm »

I got the Pineapple Express achievement, which involves killing 4 enemies with a single grenade. Why is this a death? I got it by accidentally tagging a friendly cop with a plasma grenade right before he was swarmed by grunts.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Great Order

• Bay Watcher
  • [SCREAMS_INTERNALLY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #22508 on: October 04, 2020, 06:28:13 pm »

Been forced to start a new game because, for some unknown reason, after setting up my base every slaver decided they hate me. I don't have bad faction relations with them, they just walk into the place hostile. Even if I had highly skilled men (Which I don't) I'd be unable to cope because you get a slaver caravan passing through 2-3 times a day where I set up. After savescumming about 5000 times I decided to just abandon it.

Kenshi
I may have wasted all those years
They're not worth their time in tears
I may have spent too long in darkness
In the warmth of my fears

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22509 on: October 05, 2020, 10:09:07 am »

That's why you don't normally set up bases until you have a decent number of reasonably competent fighters. I don't mean one or two, I mean 8+ fighters that are at least capable of taking on Dust Bandits without serious injury. Minimum.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #22510 on: October 05, 2020, 05:20:06 pm »

Setting up a base in Kenshi is like shooting up a bat signal into the sky, the base of which is 2 miles in diameter. It reads "Come loot my shit."

It doesn't matter if you've got a pile of rocks and and a campfire, as soon as you put two inanimate objects together to declare them one inanimate object, every starving bandit, slaver, ninja, robot, bug, religious asshole and wild animal will come knocking on your door and be like "HE'S GOT STUFF, GIT 'EM!"
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #22511 on: October 07, 2020, 04:08:50 am »

Toying with the latest version of Mindustry, it's been a long time i haven't played so i was curious about the changes and hoped i didn't forgot about its features.
On the campaign mode i noticed i had a couple of map locked, odd i was sure i had unlocked them previously. Anyways, the 1st one was easy as i had to destroy (again) an enemy core on a map, that i did again easily.

Now for the last map i had still locked in the campaign, it looks like i was missing a Thorium reactor to complete the unlock conditions.

To unlock that reactor type i was missing +/- 1700 thorium ressources.
Checking an easy map to grind them, i settled on Tar Field that had a bunch of them.
After setting up a basic defense that went easily on for 30 waves while i was building my economy enough to get the laser driller required to mine the thorium and enough power to make sure the drills would work non stop at most efficiency, i was over 1k of thorium and certainly close to 2k.

So 30th wave was annihilated easily, i could have left, but i was still unsure how close i was from the 1700 thorium (as the game only state 1k , 2k, etc... when you get over 1000 units).
I decided to stay for the next 10 waves after all my basic defenses had destroyed without any difficulty anything coming so far, i would use those 10 more waves to try to make another industry chain and collect more rare ores.

31th wave ... "BOSS" ? oh i forgot those existed in Mindustry, damn, hopefully my defense will get it .
Let's check with my ship  ... oh it's flying, so my normal defenses and laser mean nothing to it

... my air defense, it's only 3 canon ... on the 30 first wave i never needed more than a couple ... i forgot boss with their truckloads of life are flying units ... this is a disaster....

And indeed the boss unit went over the basic defense and lasers, destroyed the 3 anti air cannons, annihilated most of the industry chains leading into making air ammo (so i couldn't even put more anti air stuff) , i tried to destroy the boss myself but my old age rusted agilty didn't helped much as despite i managed to drop its health down a lot, it wasn't before that damned boss annihilated my central core ...

It meant 0 ressources were saved ... man so much time wasted ... it was when i remembered i had launch pad building unlocked in that game so instead of pulling all the thorium back to the central core, i could just pul them to a bunch of launch pad and have then them saved in case my central core was destroyed.
Damn ... :D

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22512 on: October 07, 2020, 12:50:57 pm »

Setting up a base in Kenshi is like shooting up a bat signal into the sky, the base of which is 2 miles in diameter. It reads "Come loot my shit."

It doesn't matter if you've got a pile of rocks and and a campfire, as soon as you put two inanimate objects together to declare them one inanimate object, every starving bandit, slaver, ninja, robot, bug, religious asshole and wild animal will come knocking on your door and be like "HE'S GOT STUFF, GIT 'EM!"

Even more fun is when it bugs out. I've once had them go non-hostile upon reloading a save, so all the bandits just kind of sat around my shack and did absolutely nothing but stand in my way... a different game never seemed to properly recognize I was under attack, so it just kept throwing new encounters at me on top of each other... probably had like 300 people trying to claim two fence posts.
Stench Guzman: Fix this quote, please.
Now celebrating: Two and a half years misquoted. Seriously man. Just fix it. -_-

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22513 on: October 07, 2020, 06:18:09 pm »

Speaking of bugs, I'm getting close to quitting No Man's Sky for now because of how buggy it is. There are 2 currencies, money and nanites. The easy way to get loads of nanites (you can find 10-20 at a time, or earn 500-600 at a time, so...) is by exploring enough to find every animal species on each planet. Except aquatic creatures don't always get recognized as discovered, but they can't be re-discovered either. That's in addition to items sometimes disappearing, sometimes glitching through walls (and regularly seeing through them), and mountains being generated on top of the base you just parked your ship at.

I think some of the bugs are due to bad optimization, because it uses most of what my computer can handle (all fans running 100% always). It's an interesting game, but it's also real janky. Feels like a beta more than a full release. Hopefully they'll put some effort into fixing it.

Great Order

• Bay Watcher
  • [SCREAMS_INTERNALLY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #22514 on: October 08, 2020, 05:54:28 am »

Wrong thread
I may have wasted all those years
They're not worth their time in tears
I may have spent too long in darkness
In the warmth of my fears
Pages: 1 ... 1499 1500 [1501] 1502 1503 ... 1571