Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1503 1504 [1505] 1506 1507 ... 1571

Author Topic: How did you last die?  (Read 2266856 times)

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How did you last die?
« Reply #22560 on: December 08, 2020, 10:20:26 am »

Trying to start up some extra thorium reactors. Due to space constraints, the cryofluid pipes have to pass next to the water extractors feeding the cryofluid makers.

The game decides to A) build in the order of: the thorium conveyors splitting off from an already-operational reactor*, the new reactors, then the pipes, and B) that despite the preceding pipes carrying cryofluid, the next pipe should carry plain water. Thorium reactors cannot use water. And yes I am aware that things are normally built in order of placement.

I couldn't turn off the thorium reactors quickly enough because removal of structures takes place in the same queue as construction. As such, thorium got fed into a reactor with no coolant. Result: boom.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

EDIT: Spent hours on this goddamned map. I can't make a breakthrough to their cores(they had two), since it's being protected with several long range guns. I would have had a chance if I could directly control a squad of bombers larger than 5, but for some reason that's the hard limit for air squads. I was building up as large a force as possible when I get a notification of an enemy guardian(boss) coming in, so I decide to wait for it to arrive. Thing is massive compared to everything I've seen so far. It literally walks over everything I throw at it, and when it got around to the last line of guns at about 25% health left, it regenerated almost all its health instantly.

« Last Edit: December 08, 2020, 08:28:30 pm by Akura »
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #22561 on: December 11, 2020, 08:31:03 pm »

Mmm, thorium.  Game sounds real fun, difficulties aside!

My death hasn't quite happened yet, but I'm 67 and have Chest Pains, Cough, and... Diarrhea.  And I have no court physician, and see no option to search for one - possibly because it's 772.  Jewish steward with 25 (endgame decent) stewardship despite me being an Irish king (duke), but no one to cure me.

It will be fine, though.  The war for "Urmhumbain" is going well (I meant to toggle to Anglicized names...).   If I can just win this war before I die, my heir will have two counties, and his brother the third.  Keeping the peace.

Well - the eventual establishment of a world-changing Irish merchant republic by fire and sword.  That's a kind of peace (hate the hardcoded patriarchy, though). 

It's actually kinda nice to see a county like "Deasmhumhain" and recognize it as the Anglicized "Desmond".  Maybe it's better to keep the real names.

Edit: Somehow I diagnosed it as cancer, but I'm not... quite... dead (my love of hunting mechanically sustains me!)
Edit2:  Agh- so it was a rebellion war against a vassal I'd subjugated, who then conspired against my son because he was unhappy.  But even after his treason, I'm not actually allowed to "revoke" (steal) his title.  He's in my dungeon, and I can kill him or whatever, but that doesn't matter - the blame is on him, not his heir.
That's... actually pretty solid.  Why the heck is the latter system more civilized?

Crusader Kings 2
Edit3: Oh right, the funny thing - Steam labels my game "Trusting no one as King Mr-Din" (Máel-Dúin).  I assume the "trusting no one" is from having no court physician despite hella dying.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2020, 08:54:23 pm by Rolan7 »
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #22562 on: December 12, 2020, 09:58:39 am »

EDIT: Spent hours on this goddamned map. I can't make a breakthrough to their cores(they had two), since it's being protected with several long range guns. I would have had a chance if I could directly control a squad of bombers larger than 5, but for some reason that's the hard limit for air squads. I was building up as large a force as possible when I get a notification of an enemy guardian(boss) coming in, so I decide to wait for it to arrive. Thing is massive compared to everything I've seen so far. It literally walks over everything I throw at it, and when it got around to the last line of guns at about 25% health left, it regenerated almost all its health instantly.
That reminds me on the version before they added all those eye hurting "effects" (night/sandstorm) , on the Tar Field map up to wave 30 there was nothing really dangerous, in fact you could leave the game play itself once you had your defense setup since wave 5 or 6.
Then if you decided to stay on the map (you didn't accepted to launch after wave30) in order to continue accumulate ressource for more unlock and maybe build more factories, suddenly a giant damned monster boss spawned with insane health and destroyed nearly everything.

Because up to wave 31 there was no need than more than 2 or 3 anti-air scatter guns, it meant if you never played past wave 30 in Tar Field, there was no way to know that if you hadn't built a massive amount of scatter gun just for wave 31, your base was toasted.

Is that the same guy on current version ?
« Last Edit: December 12, 2020, 10:00:48 am by Robsoie »

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22563 on: December 12, 2020, 05:02:39 pm »

I'm trying to re-teach myself to play Doom the roguelike.

On my best run since returning, I was a bit beat up from the hell knights. The level was clear, so I assumed it would be safe to try a lever to find out if it was healing (after pushing the explosive barrel far enough away that it wouldn't kill me). Instead, it turned the room to acid, killing me. Standing in acid or lava does a lot more damage than I remember.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2020, 05:08:04 pm by Iduno »

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #22564 on: December 12, 2020, 05:56:40 pm »

I'm trying to re-teach myself to play Doom the roguelike.

On my best run since returning, I was a bit beat up from the hell knights. The level was clear, so I assumed it would be safe to try a lever to find out if it was healing (after pushing the explosive barrel far enough away that it wouldn't kill me). Instead, it turned the room to acid, killing me. Standing in acid or lava does a lot more damage than I remember.
For acid or lava even normal boots reduce damage by 1 (with better boots doing more), and running just flat out halves floor damage, so running with even basic boots is a pretty hefty reduction.

But you do have to watch out for the levers, and you never want to pull one if you can't survive the room suddenly turning into lava.
Of course its also possible for one to turn the entire LEVEL into acid/lava, but you get a (cryptic) message if a lever will do that when you go to the floor so you know not to pull any.
And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!
Because the solution to not being able to control your dakka is MOAR DAKKA.

That's it. We've finally crossed over and become the nation of Da Orky Boyz.

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22565 on: December 12, 2020, 08:58:54 pm »

Intuition is a godsend in my opinion.
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22566 on: December 12, 2020, 09:11:51 pm »

Yeah, I watch the level feelings, and make sure not to mess with them if it's got a chance to be real bad, but this was not a well-thought-out chance to take. Intuition is nice if when you've got skills to spend, but I haven't managed to get my level 6 capstone yet (I've been level 7, but didn't notice that one of the requirements had another requirement).

I also remember Angel of [weapon type] having more of an effect on the special weapons you can find. So many purple pistols and one tristar blaster (apparently not a shotgun) in Angel of Shotgunnery, and nothing better than a combat shotgun found anywhere. And I want something that can do better damage for those shamblers and other big enemies.

Edit: I'm improving. I got murdered by the Cyberdemon this time. Corner-shooting is "somewhat" more difficult when the enemy doesn't need LOS.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2020, 02:04:09 pm by Iduno »

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #22567 on: December 14, 2020, 05:26:04 am »

The Cyberdemon in DoomRL is way more difficult than his original (not modded) Doom counterpart, his ability to know exactly where you are regardless of distance and cover is probably why he can be so hard to deal with.

A strategy i often use is to take as much dodge as possible and constantly move perpendicularly in comparison to the Cyberdemon position (i mean i move up/down if he's on the right or left and left/right if he's above or below) to make sure the rockets never hit on my character (i wonder how it is possible to beat that monster without dodging, unless you have several red armor and a lot of medkits).
A problem is that all those annoying pillars allow for his rockets to explode with the area of effect touching my characters, so it can easily disrupt my dodging strategy.

And as he still move toward my character, you need to time your dodging with some moving backward sometime instead of shooting to avoid getting into melee (as while Cyberdemon does +/- only half the damage in melee in comparison to his ranged rocket, his melee never misses), something i regularly miscalculate (moving back or shooting on a turn i should be dodging to avoid the rocket that is coming that same turn) :D

I really need to replay DoomRL , just mentionning it reminded me of the fun i had.

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22568 on: December 14, 2020, 02:43:24 pm »

The Cyberdemon in DoomRL is way more difficult than his original (not modded) Doom counterpart, his ability to know exactly where you are regardless of distance and cover is probably why he can be so hard to deal with.

A strategy i often use is to take as much dodge as possible and constantly move perpendicularly in comparison to the Cyberdemon position (i mean i move up/down if he's on the right or left and left/right if he's above or below) to make sure the rockets never hit on my character (i wonder how it is possible to beat that monster without dodging, unless you have several red armor and a lot of medkits).
A problem is that all those annoying pillars allow for his rockets to explode with the area of effect touching my characters, so it can easily disrupt my dodging strategy.

And as he still move toward my character, you need to time your dodging with some moving backward sometime instead of shooting to avoid getting into melee (as while Cyberdemon does +/- only half the damage in melee in comparison to his ranged rocket, his melee never misses), something i regularly miscalculate (moving back or shooting on a turn i should be dodging to avoid the rocket that is coming that same turn) :D

I really need to replay DoomRL , just mentionning it reminded me of the fun i had.

I don't remember how much health I had, but I never seemed to be able to dodge Cyber rockets no matter how I sidestepped, so I mostly went the strategy of rushing straight into its maw and unloading shotguns at point blank or meleeing. It actually worked surprisingly well, considering that you mostly expect to die from doing something like that.

I find I prefer DoomRL over Jupiter Hell; the graphics get in the way of things and the lack of diagonal movement is unexpectedly distressing for me.
Stench Guzman: Fix this quote, please.
Now celebrating: Two and a half years misquoted. Seriously man. Just fix it. -_-

George_Chickens

• Bay Watcher
  • Ghosts are stored in the balls.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22569 on: December 14, 2020, 02:59:34 pm »

I have never beaten the cybie without a double shotgun. Very bad tactics on my part. The trick is to get into melee range and blast him with both armour-negating barrels until he dies. With about 4 large medikits, you can outlast him.
Ghosts are stored in the balls?[/quote]
also George_Chickens quit fucking my sister

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22570 on: December 14, 2020, 06:52:16 pm »

I don't remember how much health I had, but I never seemed to be able to dodge Cyber rockets no matter how I sidestepped, so I mostly went the strategy of rushing straight into its maw and unloading shotguns at point blank or meleeing. It actually worked surprisingly well, considering that you mostly expect to die from doing something like that.

The way dodging works in the game is that there is a chance (a pretty generous one actually) that the enemy will aim at the previous tile you were standing in rather than the one you are currently in (If those two happen to be the same tile because you didn't move, the roll will still be made though you won't notice the outcome). Most projectiles detonate on collision with an entity, so since the space is vacated, they will continue to fly past you since there isn't anything for it to collide with anymore.

Some enemies (like the cyberdemon) are different though. Their projectiles detonate as soon as they reach their targeted tile rather than until they collide with an object, so even if you do make the dodge roll successfully, you will be caught in the blast radius of the rocket that exploded beside you.

The only way to truly dodge this kind of projectile then, is to have a movement speed stat that is so high that you can move twice before that enemy gets its turn. It will aim at the tile you were in last time that enemy had a turn. The simplest way to increase your movespeed to get to such a point is to take levels in the hellrunner perk, take the scout class, or press tab to enter into run mode (which gives you a 20% bonus that stacks multiplicatively)

It's not easy though, so you ultimately will need some dps and survivability.
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #22571 on: December 14, 2020, 07:05:23 pm »

Some enemies (like the cyberdemon) are different though. Their projectiles detonate as soon as they reach their targeted tile rather than until they collide with an object, so even if you do make the dodge roll successfully, you will be caught in the blast radius of the rocket that exploded beside you.

The only way to truly dodge this kind of projectile then, is to have a movement speed stat that is so high that you can move twice before that enemy gets its turn. It will aim at the tile you were in last time that enemy had a turn. The simplest way to increase your movespeed to get to such a point is to take levels in the hellrunner perk, take the scout class, or press tab to enter into run mode (which gives you a 20% bonus that stacks multiplicatively)

It's not easy though, so you ultimately will need some dps and survivability.
I uh... am pretty sure the Cyber demon's rockets only detonate if they hit you or a wall, so no, if you dodge successfully and you aren't within like 6 range of a wall or one of the pillars in the room (cause his rocket explosions are huge) they miss and you are fine.
Its that way for some enemies (looking at you archvile), but not the cyberdemon.

Also on a minor note the run bonus is a 20% additive, not multiplactive.
And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22572 on: December 14, 2020, 07:32:57 pm »

Just checked the wiki. You are right about the cyberdemon not following this rule. Mancubi, revenants, archviles, and barons of hell do though.

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22573 on: December 14, 2020, 07:42:12 pm »

Yeah; it's also why hugging the corners when fighting Cyber is a particularly bad idea, since you can get caught in the explosion which kind of defeats the purpose. You're 'supposed' to alternate sidestepping and firing (or some variant thereof, depending on movement speed), but it never worked out for me so I resorted to dealing with him up close, or just dropping a thermie and calling it good. Or, later on, just playing Ao100, because that I could actually win on a fairly regular basis. -_-
Stench Guzman: Fix this quote, please.
Now celebrating: Two and a half years misquoted. Seriously man. Just fix it. -_-

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #22574 on: December 14, 2020, 08:10:12 pm »

Yeah; it's also why hugging the corners when fighting Cyber is a particularly bad idea, since you can get caught in the explosion which kind of defeats the purpose. You're 'supposed' to alternate sidestepping and firing (or some variant thereof, depending on movement speed), but it never worked out for me so I resorted to dealing with him up close, or just dropping a thermie and calling it good. Or, later on, just playing Ao100, because that I could actually win on a fairly regular basis. -_-
Honestly, it's always worked out pretty decently for me assuming I have enough health stuff. Of course I typically play ammochain plasma rifle dudes who have an obscene amount of firepower by the time they reach the cyberdemon so...
Just checked the wiki. You are right about the cyberdemon not following this rule. Mancubi, revenants, archviles, and barons of hell do though.
Mancubi don't work this way, nor do barons, nor even apparently revenants.
Revenant attacks are homing, so it doesn't matter how you move, they still hit you. Mancubi simply shoot 3 shots at once in very close spread, so even if you dodge one the others are almost certainly going to hit you anyways, but if you do dodge all three then they keep going. Barons just work like regular hell knights who miss just fine, except they are way tougher and hit harder.

Pages: 1 ... 1503 1504 [1505] 1506 1507 ... 1571