Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1513 1514 [1515] 1516 1517 ... 1571

Author Topic: How did you last die?  (Read 2266962 times)

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How did you last die?
« Reply #22710 on: March 18, 2021, 11:18:33 pm »

It takes multiple hits with the heaviest weapons to actually stagger them though. You have no chance of doing this with a longsword and as I said before, the large weapons you get early on are pretty shit. Still, you can get there eventually.
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • technical difficulties
    • View Profile
« Reply #22711 on: March 19, 2021, 02:11:36 am »

how dare you insult the greataxe and zwei like this
Insatiable consumption. Ceaseless motion. Unstoppable destruction.

Domaryx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22712 on: March 19, 2021, 06:45:42 am »

I have been playing not so long ago and I am lucky so far lol

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #22713 on: March 19, 2021, 11:07:39 am »

IIRC, the main thing to like about the zwei compared to other UGS is that the R2 is a very long-range poke and deals a lot of poise damage? OTOH I haven't played the original Dark Souls in a long time and that might only be the case in DS3, where I know a fully-charged R2 poke will knock human enemies down instantly.
SerCon Shorts: This Is How You Do It - Twenty-three one minute or less videos of random stupidity in AC:U, Bloodborne, DS2:SotFS, Salt & Sanctuary, and The Witcher 3.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • technical difficulties
    • View Profile
« Reply #22714 on: March 19, 2021, 12:00:55 pm »

IIRC with the Zwei your R2 is a big overhead slam which pancakes enemies into the ground. The Greatsword Ultra Greatsword has the R2 poke. The weapons are otherwise nearly identical. People prefer the Zwei because you can literally just walk over and get it at the start of the game whereas the Greatsword is after the two bells.

If you want a big sword poke early on, the Claymore is a good choice. There's an interesting little pattern where between Straightswords, Greatswords, and U. Greatswords there's a slashing variant of the weapon and a thrusting variant. Broadsword to Longsword, Bastard Sword to Claymore, and Zweihander to Greatsword.
Well, it's interesting to me. Probably not to anybody else. :v

(While we're talking about big Str weapons, let me share the build I beat the game on: Dragon King Axe (tail cut gaping dragon) plus Power Within. Since dragon weapons lack scaling, all you have to do is level Str enough to twohand it, farm some dragon scales, and you'll have an unreasonable amount of damage on the R2. Even more with Power Within.)

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #22715 on: March 19, 2021, 12:56:04 pm »

The Claymore is always a good choice of weapon; you can't really go wrong with a greatsword. And fair enough on the Dragon King Axe, but I don't really like the dragon weapons because they don't have any scaling. I suppose if you're doing a pyromancy or other spell build they'll work out since you're not leveling STR/DEX more than you need, but I prefer to unga-bunga things with greathammers anyway.
SerCon Shorts: This Is How You Do It - Twenty-three one minute or less videos of random stupidity in AC:U, Bloodborne, DS2:SotFS, Salt & Sanctuary, and The Witcher 3.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • technical difficulties
    • View Profile
« Reply #22716 on: March 19, 2021, 01:12:56 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22717 on: March 19, 2021, 01:14:29 pm »

I got Disgaea 5 on sale forever ago, and have been playing it. There is a slight difficulty increase between playing through the story on max difficulty (20 stars - higher level enemies so they give more xp; I think it's something like 50% of base levels/stats added per star) and playing the post-game stuff even on base difficulty.

Barely pulled off wins against the 4 bosses you need to unlock the carnage dimension (much more difficult post-game story) with like 2 star difficulty. Then I had to fight all of them, and another more difficult boss all at once. However, one of my characters got lucky and survived a single hit from one of the bosses, until he counter-attacked and got counter-attacked back.

This game has *some* grinding. Pretty good tactical RPG if you don't mind grinding (good for mindless repetition while you're tired or doing something else) and very anime mode of dress. I mean, it's supposed to be a joke about grinding and anime stuff, so it's got to be over-the-top.

Nighthawk

• Bay Watcher
  • INT Score: Yes
    • View Profile
« Reply #22718 on: March 19, 2021, 01:39:01 pm »

Woah. I did not expect more people to jump into the Dark Souls discussion. Well, some of you might be pleased to hear that I've done some research and I now have a somewhat greater understanding of the systems in the game... probably. Apparently pyromancers often go for Dex weapons because pyromancy doesn't need Int or Faith for scaling, and Dex also increases casting speed. Sounds really good. And apparently poise damage is a fixed value attached to the weapon (or spell or whatever) you're using, and it goes up a lot when you two-hand weapons, with the big nasty weapons doing a whopping 76 poise damage with a two handed strike. Dunno how much it takes to stagger the average boss, but that sounds quite good.

IIRC with the Zwei your R2 is a big overhead slam which pancakes enemies into the ground.
That's definitely right. I pancaked quite a few hollows while testing out the weapon.
(While we're talking about big Str weapons, let me share the build I beat the game on: Dragon King Axe (tail cut gaping dragon) plus Power Within. Since dragon weapons lack scaling, all you have to do is level Str enough to twohand it, farm some dragon scales, and you'll have an unreasonable amount of damage on the R2. Even more with Power Within.)
Power Within sounds really cool, especially if I also get my hands on the Lingering Dragoncrest Ring from sorcerer guy, because apparently that results in the same amount of HP drain over a longer period of time.

The Claymore is always a good choice of weapon; you can't really go wrong with a greatsword. And fair enough on the Dragon King Axe, but I don't really like the dragon weapons because they don't have any scaling. I suppose if you're doing a pyromancy or other spell build they'll work out since you're not leveling STR/DEX more than you need, but I prefer to unga-bunga things with greathammers anyway.
Yeah, I recently learned that scaling and, to some extent, enchantability(?) determine the viability of any given weapon. I was using the Astora Straight Sword for a while, and it's super good early game because of its high base damage, but it can't be enchanted. I like enchanting weapons, so that made me kinda sad.

All things considered, I'll probably either go with the Dexy pyromancer or nag the Zweihander early on and smoosh everything with a big sword. Both sound pretty fun.

Anyway, I appreciate all the discussion! I feel like I'm finally learning how to approach this daunting game.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • technical difficulties
    • View Profile
« Reply #22719 on: March 19, 2021, 01:51:25 pm »

Who needs a lingering dragoncrest ring when 100 seconds is long enough to smoosh bosses anyways? :)

...Maybe I should try lingering dragoncrest power within for Scorched Contract Smough & Ornstein. It's been a while since I tried playing that mod, was stuck on the Pikachu and Snorlax fight for uh, obvious reasons if you know what that fight consists of. Or maybe I shouldn't bother because I'm clearly not bad enough to save the age of fire.

Nighthawk

• Bay Watcher
  • INT Score: Yes
    • View Profile
« Reply #22720 on: March 19, 2021, 01:58:52 pm »

Who needs a lingering dragoncrest ring when 100 seconds is long enough to smoosh bosses anyways? :)
That... is a fair point.

...Maybe I should try lingering dragoncrest power within for Scorched Contract Smough & Ornstein. It's been a while since I tried playing that mod, was stuck on the Pikachu and Snorlax fight for uh, obvious reasons if you know what that fight consists of. Or maybe I shouldn't bother because I'm clearly not bad enough to save the age of fire.
I haven't gotten far enough to fight them, but I saw plenty of footage online. Two on one is never a good time, especially when it comes to bosses that are twice your size. Makes me think that the devs actually intended for certain bosses to be fought in multiplayer, though admittedly, even an NPC phantom can make fights too easy at times.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • technical difficulties
    • View Profile
« Reply #22721 on: March 19, 2021, 02:13:00 pm »

Those two give me a notable amount of trouble even despite my experience, it's true.
I was referring to a mod called Scorched Contract in that post, which has a couple effects: you need to defeat every boss in the game, including DLC, to complete the game, and every boss you kill gives you a "stipulation" which makes the game harder in some way. If one were to play this mod, one would surely find ample opportunity to post in this thread.

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #22722 on: March 19, 2021, 02:56:06 pm »

I haven't gotten far enough to fight them, but I saw plenty of footage online. Two on one is never a good time, especially when it comes to bosses that are twice your size. Makes me think that the devs actually intended for certain bosses to be fought in multiplayer, though admittedly, even an NPC phantom can make fights too easy at times.
You CAN summon Solaire for Ornstein and Smough, and I honestly recommend you do so for at least your first few runs through the game. It's entirely possible to beat them on your own without being a master or anything, and I say ignore the tryhards who go 'lol summon babby'. Play your own way and then after a build or two if you think you can take them on your own, do so.

My advice is to kill Ornstein first, though, unless you're using a rapier/Lucerne/Pick/other piercing weapon and want his special ring that increase thrust damage on counter. Smough doesn't get THAT much more powerful by having lightning added to some of his attacks and is the easier second phase.

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22723 on: March 19, 2021, 03:08:51 pm »

Make sure you have a weapon with proper DPS. I beat those two with the lifehunt scythe, though I never saw them bleed.
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

Great Order

• Bay Watcher
  • [SCREAMS_INTERNALLY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #22724 on: March 19, 2021, 03:46:36 pm »

I used a bit of an exploit to get past the guards in a city with narcotics.

Except when I picked up my backpack after being searched, I was attacked by them... For the crime of putting on a backpack?

The guards attacked, I beelined to the Shinobi Thieves to sell the narcotics to them. The guards and thieves duked it out (Thieves lost, unsurprisingly) so I just went and wiped out a local chapter by illegally wearing a backpack.

Kenshi

EDIT: The stupidity continues.

First time, I was spotted in spite of being stealthed. As in "nobody can see or hear me" stealthed. Apparently a guard developed magical crime-sensing powers.
Second time, I moved half an inch and every fucking guard in a half mile radius gained X-ray vision and spotted me lockpicking.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2021, 05:48:22 pm by Great Order »
I may have wasted all those years
They're not worth their time in tears
I may have spent too long in darkness
In the warmth of my fears
Pages: 1 ... 1513 1514 [1515] 1516 1517 ... 1571