Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1539 1540 [1541] 1542 1543 ... 1571

Author Topic: How did you last die?  (Read 2268004 times)

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How did you last die?
« Reply #23100 on: August 22, 2022, 09:59:04 am »

A sidequest to defend some village against swarming monsters. Given very little time to prepare, then 12 of them appear on the map. A typical random battle will have at most around 4-5 enemies.

Little bastards are extremely fast, and have several ranged attacks, including one that hits everything in a hex and attempts to force characters out of that hex. There are gun turrets that can be placed in fixed spots, but there's no indication what their range or firing arc is.

Killed off all 12 of them, then 12 more appeared. By the time there was one left, my main melee guy is down and, due to a lack of attention to equipping items, unable to raise them, while my caster is hurt and low on MP. Killed the last enemy. "Another wave is approaching!" I immediately Alt-F4'd. That is BS.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

EDIT: Discovered there was (at least) one more wave beyond that. With bigger versions of what I had been fighting already!
« Last Edit: August 23, 2022, 07:21:22 pm by Akura »
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

MCreeper

• Bay Watcher
  • My bus is late
    • View Profile
« Reply #23101 on: August 25, 2022, 02:58:07 pm »

I got crooked arms, blue phantom is a douche and second blue phantom spawned far away.

Dark Souls 3

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #23102 on: August 25, 2022, 05:05:46 pm »

Is that someone named AUGHHHHH behind you?
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #23103 on: August 25, 2022, 11:46:47 pm »

AUGHHHHH's behind the invader. You can tell because MCreeper is using caestus (looks like Heavy infusion? I don't really pay attention to those tiny indicators) and a Dark Hand for their equipment and the invader is holding a sword and shield instead.
SerCon Shorts: This Is How You Do It - Twenty-three one minute or less videos of random stupidity in AC:U, Bloodborne, DS2:SotFS, Salt & Sanctuary, and The Witcher 3.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #23104 on: August 26, 2022, 02:22:23 am »

you can also tell 'cause they're the only one not color coded for your convenience

remember students, red means stab it until it stops moving!
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23105 on: August 26, 2022, 06:35:24 pm »

Was fighting Tri Point, was ignoring its elemental weakness script, was also not watching my HP. Unless hit with its current elemental weakness(fire or ice, it switches when hit correctly), Tri Point counters for a few thousand damage. Accidentally attacked with a weak attack when I meant to heal, while also queuing Squall(who hits for thousands while the other hit for 500 or so) to attack.

Total party wipe.

They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.

Great Order

• Bay Watcher
  • [SCREAMS_INTERNALLY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #23106 on: August 27, 2022, 05:04:18 am »

I don't know what it is about them, but fleets that are of equal or greater strength seem to make my ships turn into drooling idiots.

Latest one, fleet of roughly the same size but consisting of high-tech ships, including a paragon. What do my ships do? They disobey orders (I told my Legions to attack the paragon, so one of them ignores that and spends the next five minutes chasing down an Omen instead), send three cruisers after a single frigate, and the rest of my cruisers blindly charge in or don't try to back out, get surrounded, and die because they can't defend themselves when they wilfully let themselves get stuck in the centre of the enemy fleet. My officers are *steady*. If they were aggressive or reckless I'd understand, but they aren't.

Starsector
I may have wasted all those years
They're not worth their time in tears
I may have spent too long in darkness
In the warmth of my fears

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #23107 on: August 27, 2022, 05:37:31 pm »

I don't play much of anything any more, but I recently loaded up Caves of Qud and saw they added more stuff to the plot.

I've been playing my favorite character class, the Support Esper who subjugates a pair of farmers and tries to level them up indefinitely.  I myself am a low strength low toughness low-offensive power noodle wizard who eventually learns to gun.  I can be one shot in the early game, and late game the danger is not doing enough damage on my own and microing the ai and all the wild powers the enemies have.

Very fun.  I died last because a previously passive and quite massive crocodile got frenzied by a rando attacking psyker and came after my farmer.  It torn his feet off and then proceeded to happily charge at me and one shot with it eaty bits.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23108 on: August 29, 2022, 03:50:19 pm »

I think I've found one of the worst final boss designs ever. After taking eight hits, the boss starts charging a full-party wipe attack. That's eight hits, regardless of actual damage, and includes every hit from multi-hitting attacks, including the heroes' limit breaks. The only way to avoid this attack is to destroy one of the three crystals around the arena, which replaces it with a shield dome that protects you from all damage. There are several problems there; they're beefy enough to take several attacks to break, two of them are far away from the boss, and the attack charges fairly quickly. Oh, and the shield domes are temporary, meaning they disappear and don't come back. And there's only three, so you have to be taking 1/3 off his health between these attacks.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #23109 on: August 30, 2022, 09:31:57 am »

Lovecraft Untold Stories.

The Professor died from an insane amount of enemies (a few were summoning even more) in a sector in the ancient cemetary.
Very notable death because it is the very first death i got from an enemy since the few hours i am playing.

So far every of my characters deaths (Detective and Professor) have been due to the character going insane and killing himself.

Because unfortunately there are few items and events that actually heal your sanity while there are a very lot more sanity damage source (nearly every item or thing you'll study will hit your sanity).

Sure you can avoid interacting with items but in this case you'll never increase your knowledge gauge enough to buy some good stuff when you'll need them at the 2 merchants that can spawn in a level and will also miss a lot of the lore background. And that's probably not helped by the fact the Professor is a bit deranged and so is even more weak to sanity damage than any other character (Detective is the 2nd weakest in regard to sanity damage, the other 3 unlockable characters are more resistant).
Too bad you can't return to the Strange Place without losing all the items you found in the current level so you can't store them until you complete it :/

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23110 on: August 30, 2022, 03:24:11 pm »

Fighting Omega Weapon. Spent all day on it. In hindsight, I realized I could have been a bit more efficient about it. It wasn't until halfway through my lunch break that I realized I forgot to use Meltdown, which pretty much doubled all damage afterwards. I was also under the impression that Zell was great for this fight. Not really, but he was doing better than Quistis was with Shockwave Pulsar(she has other uses, though).

On the way home from work, I was caught in a bit of a bad spot, and was also distracted. Wasn't at full health when Omega used Megido Flame(fixed 9998 damage; you must be at 9999 or die).

Great Order

• Bay Watcher
  • [SCREAMS_INTERNALLY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #23111 on: September 01, 2022, 01:32:36 pm »

For some mystery fucking reason, the Persean League declared war on me. We had relations hovering around +50, and yet apparently that was it, they loved me so they declared war.

I had two planets. I couldn't build my fleet up enough to face them (Not helped by my custom production orders getting immediately turned into supplies, metal and fuel by the engineering hub. Thanks Industrial Evolution.). And, inevitably, they invaded.

Starsector

Great Order

• Bay Watcher
  • [SCREAMS_INTERNALLY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #23112 on: September 02, 2022, 01:15:34 pm »

My ships have discovered another really annoying habit.

Now there's a roughly 50/50 chance in a battle that they'll do their absolute damndest to ensure ships are isolated. If there's a ship under fire and they've got no flux, they'll actively *run away* from the threat. Lost a battle because the Guardian had so little health that there wasn't even a solitary pixel representing it, and my two tempests who were under absolutely no fire and who both had maximum flux capacity available decided to run away until the Scarab was destroyed. Then one of them went in while the other hung back. Then the other went in once that one was destroyed.

Starsector

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #23113 on: September 03, 2022, 08:21:26 am »

"Lara's Nightmare" mode is terribly bad, though the words to define it in my brain are much less polite.
That is all.

Rise of the Tomb Raider.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2022, 08:34:39 am by Robsoie »

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23114 on: September 03, 2022, 06:55:33 pm »

I tried Lovecraft's Untold Stories. My character went insane from inspecting things I shouldn't have, because it's a new game and I tried things. At least one I *knew* was a trap, and one I suspected, but two could also have been useful clues.

Do you want a roguelike with real-time and terrible controls? Also, destroying anything that contains treasure destroys it, and the treasure, and you can't always tell. Plus the controls are bad. It's not the worst game I've ever played, but...
Pages: 1 ... 1539 1540 [1541] 1542 1543 ... 1571