Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1540 1541 [1542] 1543 1544 ... 1571

Author Topic: How did you last die?  (Read 2268008 times)

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
Re: How did you last die?
« Reply #23115 on: September 03, 2022, 07:20:27 pm »

Can't disagree with that.
Lovecraft Untold Stories is the game in which the more i played the more i didn't like it until i just uninstalled.
Spoiler: rant (click to show/hide)
Managed to find things so unfun that i didn't cared anymore about unlocking 4th and 5th character.  Too bad the atmosphere was nice.

MCreeper

• Bay Watcher
  • My bus is late
    • View Profile
« Reply #23116 on: September 05, 2022, 12:49:14 pm »

Angel stole my temple guards right from a starting temple and killed them by attacking neutral enchanter tower, considerably delaying ant hunt. Turns out, guards' description wasn't joking when it said that they "will follow the first self proclaimed prophet to come along and leave the church undefended".
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Conquest of Elysium 5

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #23117 on: September 08, 2022, 11:55:48 pm »

Pulled up alongside the Ghost Fort commando style, full sail, emergency anchor stop, so I could blast it apart before it or the other ships in the Ghost Fleet could do any serious damage to me. Worked like a charm on the first two forts, I was feeling quite pleased with myself. But I overshot the fort by maybe a a couple feet. This means I couldn't blast the fort because my cannons were out of firing arc....which means it blasted me instead. I started to attempt repairs but it was kind of hopeless, because at a dead stop the ships of the Ghost Fleet were perfectly positioned to undo my repairs as fast as I could make them. Caught between two sets of cannons, my boat was sunk in what feels like less than a minute. If I had pulled up anchor and turned the boat and set to shooting immediately, I might have just escaped getting sunk. I honestly thought I could repair through their attacks in time to get back to the guns and finish the fort. Guess not.

So instead I lost everything from that Veil of the Ancients run, and my Athena Emissary Flag Level 5. I should be mad but the truth is I stayed up too late again doing this, I've literally been pushing my luck all night and getting away with it, and I flat out just started getting lazy. Crewing a boat by yourself is kind of demanding in combat, let alone in quest battles where there's tons of stuff firing at you. Still, if I hadn't overshot the fort I'd probably still be playing right now. I made boatloads of coin tonight, so I can't be too mad. Easy come, easy go.

« Last Edit: September 08, 2022, 11:58:17 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Great Order

• Bay Watcher
  • [SCREAMS_INTERNALLY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #23118 on: September 11, 2022, 05:32:47 pm »

I'm very quickly learning that I've either got some really shit luck, or Pokemon Reborn's fudged the way accuracy works to severely affect the PC and not affect the AI much.

I keep using sand attack and severely lowering the enemy's accuracy, and every time (And I don't mean "Sometimes", I mean "Every time") the enemy hits at somewhere around twice the rate I do. As in, I can lower the enemy accuracy four times and it'll hit about as frequently as if I'd had mine lowered twice.
I may have wasted all those years
They're not worth their time in tears
I may have spent too long in darkness
In the warmth of my fears

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23119 on: September 11, 2022, 07:45:52 pm »

Got smacked around by the first boss of the game. Largely because the combat system isn't quite intuitive, and the camera can be pretty bad during a fight.

They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23120 on: September 11, 2022, 09:33:15 pm »

I'm very quickly learning that I've either got some really shit luck, or Pokemon Reborn's fudged the way accuracy works to severely affect the PC and not affect the AI much.

I keep using sand attack and severely lowering the enemy's accuracy, and every time (And I don't mean "Sometimes", I mean "Every time") the enemy hits at somewhere around twice the rate I do. As in, I can lower the enemy accuracy four times and it'll hit about as frequently as if I'd had mine lowered twice.

Yeah, there have been very few times where the debuffs appeared to affect the opponent at all, but they definitely affect you.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23121 on: September 13, 2022, 08:15:03 pm »

Arena challenges 3 through 5. All of the challenges for tier 3 are against bat monsters. Numerous, poisonous, bat monsters. Tier 4 are beasts with massive armor, though little health beneath it. The first fight of tier 5 was large, tough beasts(that were also poisonous), and the second fight was unexpectedly against soldiers of Thélème. The last was one of the local gods. Surprisingly, that last one was actually easy, especially since I nearly smashed my computer in rage fighting a different species of local god in Vasco's personal quest.

My companions are... dumb. There's no way to command them, so they do their dumb thing. Most of the time, they ignore enemies hit with Stasis, but in the arena that part of their brain stops working. The reason this is bad is that one of the upgrades for Stasis is that is burns their armor away while they're frozen. It also, obviously, pulls an enemy out of the fight so you can focus on another enemy. It's actually one of the most useful abilities in the game by far. Some enemies resist, leaving them only frozen for one second, but that's still very useful.

So, after all the fights, watching my companions die stupidly, then myself die because I'm outnumbered, I finally beat the arena sidequest. You only get paid once the entire quest despite the multiple stages of fights, and it's armor I can't even friggin' use because I have nowhere near the stat requirements.

They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.

Great Order

• Bay Watcher
  • [SCREAMS_INTERNALLY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #23122 on: September 14, 2022, 07:49:22 pm »

The opponent's Electrode, despite being two levels lower than my team, wiped out all five of my pokemon.

First off, I was doing basically no damage to it for... reasons. I'm genuinely unsure why, but it received very little damage on each attack.
Second, it was using charge beam, a hilariously powerful attack that, once used, then raises the special attack to ensure that once it starts firing, it snowballs.
Third, it was on machinery terrain so electric attacks were buffed.
Fourth, it always went first.

So yeah, that's my little tale of woe.

Pokemon Reborn

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23123 on: September 14, 2022, 08:29:40 pm »

I don't know how different Reborn is from the canon games, but Electrode has always been absurdly fast - base Speed of 140 up to Gen VI, 150 in Gen VII and on.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #23124 on: September 15, 2022, 12:40:39 am »

Merked by a barrel skeleton hiding in a bush.

I amused myself on the run back by envisioning an animated montage of barrel skeletons ruining someone's life repeatedly. Going to kiss your first date, but when you open your eyes its barrel skeleton, and they explode. Showing up as your boss on the first day, and promptly exploding. Getting pulled over by a cop and seeing barrel skeleton in your side view mirror, at which point they explode. Coming home from a long business trip late at night to find barrel skeleton in bed with your spouse, as they both turn and look at you, your spouse mortified, the barrel skeleton troll grinning and then exploding you, your spouse and your bedroom.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Great Order

• Bay Watcher
  • [SCREAMS_INTERNALLY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #23125 on: September 17, 2022, 11:13:05 am »

Game gave me an invasion before it gave me access to military units. Of course, this inevitably meant that I lost because when the enemy has a military and the game literally doesn't let you have one, you lose.

Songs of Syx

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #23126 on: September 18, 2022, 12:19:18 am »

... I remember one of the earlier versions of that, I think I managed to indefinitely stave off an invasion by just feeding it a constant stream of new civilians. Had enough immigration to balance out the steady loss of life.

Was kinda' messed up people kept coming this hellpit of death. Had really nice decorations and housing, though, and plenty of food! You just, uh. Probably wouldn't live longer than a month or two or something.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23127 on: September 18, 2022, 12:29:24 am »

Patriotic citizens will return to the Corpse Wall.
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #23128 on: September 18, 2022, 01:29:38 am »

Many, many times in Privateer's Hold

TES: Daggerfall
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23129 on: September 22, 2022, 05:00:37 am »

Was feeling pretty good about finishing a game of darts in 6 rounds, thinking I had the high score. Then I saw that the leaderboard counts total darts thrown, not rounds(3 darts). Which makes the confident fist pump my character did even more humorously awkward.

Pages: 1 ... 1540 1541 [1542] 1543 1544 ... 1571