Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1541 1542 [1543] 1544 1545 ... 1570

Author Topic: How did you last die?  (Read 2244547 times)

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
Re: How did you last die?
« Reply #23130 on: September 28, 2022, 03:44:58 am »

Sailing around i finally found a single raptor ! that will be a worthy addition to my dino squad as so far the previous ones i found were in too dangerous packs of predators to even try a capture.

Taking my good crossbow and tranq arrows, i then sail to what i think was a safe enough distance, as i could then jump and run to the rocks on the other side in case of a problem.

I start to shoot at the ugly beast, then shoot and shoot again and again while retreating as fast as i can, that's a lot of tranq arrow in his head and the thing isn't stopping, also it seems faster than the last raptors i spotted and escaped from.

Hmm, what's that odd brown smoke that seems to come from it ?
googling after being utterly destroyed by that thing, oh so that's an "Alpha" and it can't be tamed.

Ark: Survival Evolved.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23131 on: September 28, 2022, 03:13:52 pm »

Made two attempts to play as the Tarka. Normally, I play Humans. Never actually played Tarka, despite them being the "easiest" faction to play as.

First attempt, started to get rapidly overwhelmed by a fellow Tarka empire. Also got pretty screwed by the tech RNG; only the first two colonization/terraforming techs, nothing else, not even cruiser-sized colonizers.

Second attempt, attacked by a Hiver force of one cruiser and one point-defense destroyer. There was another destroyer, but I assume that was the gate-ship. I had about half a dozen Shield-Armor cruisers armed with heavy drivers. First, spent way too long before realizing that my ships were set to hold fire for some reason(it was first contact battle, no ceasefire or NAP), then lost more than half my fleet before the Hiver cruiser lost its mission section. Shields did nothing except drop after a single hit.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #23132 on: October 01, 2022, 11:09:12 am »

Playing Ark,

Exploring a bit of the snowy biome in the north western part of The Island, while walking in the forest surrounding the big mountain i ran into a dinosaur i never saw before, as big as an Allosaurus but covered with something looking like fur (no idea if it was actual fur or feather, playing on low res makes it harder to see details from away) , i unleashed my "murder kill squad" that i used as bodyguards in this exploration that were a team of 1 Allosaurus and 2 Therizinosaur (setting them to aggressive) so they ran toward the new big bad.

I wasn't expecting any problems, as after many explorations they leveled up enough to become pure killing machines filled with hatred manifested into claws and tooth, like they showed me when they took out a Tyrannosaurus in a few seconds on a previous trip elsewhere.

But at that point i had no idea ...  after googling what the hell was that thing, it's called a "Yutyrannus" and in the game it possess a special ability that :
- scare away nearby dinos for several seconds
- attract as his own bodyguards surrounding wild dinos.

So the less i can say is that it was funny to see my troopers going randomly around instead of murdering my target.
But it was less fun when i also spotted 3 Carnotaurus (one of them was an alpha) running toward me at full speed.

Poor character didn't last long, but on returning on zone (was rather FUN! ) to recover my dinos and my equipment, i noticed the Allosaurus had been killed but the 2 Therizinosaur were still alive, no idea what happened to that damned Yutyrannus and his Carnotaurus lackeys.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #23133 on: October 01, 2022, 06:51:49 pm »

Attempting the daily which ends in 15 minutes, what've I got:
Technophobe of course
Glitch sickness, oof
Shaky, okay
A concussion hammer!
The Ex-Sovereign trait with no sword and no enemies with swords

What am I up against on the first stage:
Armored enemies with no AP options
A Jammer who would matter more if I wasn't a technophobe
A Defender
A glitch-dasher hanging out near the Defender and in a jammer-field

I almost juked that last foe but they glitched next to me right before I turned the corner, and wrenched my face
So basically I got owned by a less-lethal Predator
I feel like that challenge was a bit much, but challenges should be challenging sometimes!

Heat Signature
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Great Order

• Bay Watcher
  • [SCREAMS_INTERNALLY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #23134 on: October 02, 2022, 04:36:56 pm »

After a lot of digging, made more difficult by the fact I was working against gravity, I finally breached the surface.

I realised two things:

1) The whole surface is corrupt
2) The Eaters of Souls are fucking strong

Terraria, Don't Dig Up seed.
I may have wasted all those years
They're not worth their time in tears
I may have spent too long in darkness
In the warmth of my fears

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #23135 on: October 03, 2022, 04:19:20 pm »

Sometime (well most of the time actually) in Gloomhaven the scenario design is very frustrating : so many rooms, so many enemies, HP of those enemies going up while you're leveling but your damage is still the same and extremely tight hidden turn limit, boss that all had immunity to any possible effect for some reasons...
Without mentionning how hyper slow the AI turns are for no reason (considering how small the playfield are, how no brainer the AI cards are, there's nothing justifying that it takes so much time to play, and when you have so many AI on a mission each taking awfull amount of time to play their turn ... )

And of course RNG influencing how your damage goes against the enemies (and how they damage you) : see by example, after managing to drop the boss insane amount of HP you manage then to play your best damaging card on your very last turn of what is one of the most frustrating and horribly designed scenario you played in that game so far ( Town Square A )

How about the game then decide it's this time it will play the x0 disadvantage card from the random advantage/disadvantage card pile (there's only 1 of the x0 cards fortunately in those piles) ... suddenly all the damage that would allow you to complete the scenario on your last turn is multiplied by 0

Spoiler: damn you Gloomhaven (click to show/hide)
yeah, the boss was down on 1 HP and the X0 disadvantage decided to come there, of all the time on my last turn before that stupid exhausation, on that super long scenario with insane amount of enemy elite AI and tons of completely useless allied AI (that each take lots of time to complete their near useless turn).
Gloomhaven is one of those rare game that you sometime really like, and at the same time dislike immensely.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2022, 04:20:51 pm by Robsoie »

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #23136 on: October 03, 2022, 06:42:31 pm »

My friend who is into boarding gaming tried the table top of it and was like "pass. The game goes out of its way to abuse you and setup arbitrary fails." I've seen the Steam game a couple times and this didn't do me any favors in regards to considering purchasing it.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #23137 on: October 03, 2022, 07:00:22 pm »

It's sad actually, because in Gloomhaven there's some very good gameplay, the classes play very differently and during the course of the campaign when mercs retire (after reaching their personnal goals) you can hire completely new classes to add a lot of variety to the card building.

But the scenario design that does not allow you to do anything other than the absolutely optimal card play (at least if you want to win those, very long to play, scenarios) is really frankly horrible to me as it transforms too much what could be a very good strategy/tactical game with card building into "only" a puzzle game in which there's only 1 solution to find.

Basically Gloomhaven is designed for those that really like the "find the correct combination and order to play cards to win" type of game as so far from all the scenario i played and managed to win, everything else is doomed to fail. 

I really wonder how the boardgame can play with more than 1 player, i mean you need to coordinate mostly exactly your mercs positionning (the scoundrel class has many cards that actually depend of your ally or enemy position to do their best results) and when to play their own cards and in which order if you want to complete objectives before exhausting your mercs decks, something that is doable if you're managing all the mercs on the board, but with multiple people with each their own ideas on what card they want to play and where they want to move their mercenary... that must be hell if you hope to win each scenario :D

But in the actual boardgame , like in any boardgame, you can come up with your own modified rules to take care of the design shortcomings and unfun parts, something you can't do in the videogame sadly.

At least a good point of failing is that Gloomhaven does not remove the gained XP and Gold looted, and also does not remove whatever you found in a chest, so even failing your mercenaries will still gain more power (and the enemies will too as their health is based on your "party level" )

Now if only the AI decision code and scripts were faster, scenarios already take a long time by default and those extremely slow to do anything AI really increase the scenario length a lot uselessly, making replaying them more of a pain than something fun.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2022, 07:09:49 pm by Robsoie »

Great Order

• Bay Watcher
  • [SCREAMS_INTERNALLY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #23138 on: October 07, 2022, 12:53:21 am »

Hopped back to CKII after something like two years of not playing it.

I'm dying a lot more easily than I remember. And it's harder to drag relations up when someone's pissed off at you.

They really did make CKIII easier.

Crusader Kings II
I may have wasted all those years
They're not worth their time in tears
I may have spent too long in darkness
In the warmth of my fears

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23139 on: October 07, 2022, 07:24:41 pm »

Twice now lost some progress because the game locks up pretty hard if it loses focus. First to Alt-Tab, second to accidentally hitting the Windows key. The first time, I did not realize I had turned off autosaves and lost roughly half an hour.

They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #23140 on: October 07, 2022, 07:31:25 pm »

It's been a little while since I played Gloomhaven (the boardgame), but I do remember it being brutally hard.  I played with my brother and it took us 3 tries to beat the first scenario, I think.  We did pretty well after that but definitely encountered repeated scenarios that were just impossible with our characters.  We got really close to beating the final boss, but for various reasons never finished the campaign.

As a concept I really liked the game though.  Very cool and original, if just very, very hard.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #23141 on: October 07, 2022, 09:00:11 pm »

Looking back, i guess what disapointed me with Gloomhaven is that i thought it was going to be something similar to old Warhammer Quest or Heroquest but with some mercenary guild management in between missions as screenshots of the game and photo of the boardgame really reminded me of those.

But it was nothing like that at all, in the end Gloomhaven is in fact a puzzle game with some additional features around but at its core it's a puzzle in which you need to find the optimal sequence and play order of your cards and character position in order to complete a scenario, and if you don't find that optimal card usage and play order or have your character not moving where he should, you'll lose.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2022, 09:04:44 pm by Robsoie »

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23142 on: October 07, 2022, 09:11:26 pm »

My sister killed my first character by stabbing me in the chest, then chased my second until I fell to my death.  >:(

Only two deaths in the playthrough, and she did it to both my characters.

Stench Guzman: Fix this quote, please.
Now celebrating: Two and a half years misquoted. Seriously man. Just fix it. -_-

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #23143 on: October 07, 2022, 09:38:56 pm »

That’s pretty good stuff. Those games are unbelievably forgiving of mistakes.

Edit: in saying that, if they’re what I’m thinking of, only one of those deaths is avoidable.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2022, 09:42:07 pm by hector13 »
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #23144 on: October 07, 2022, 10:12:30 pm »

My sister killed my first character by stabbing me in the chest, then chased my second until I fell to my death.  >:(

Only two deaths in the playthrough, and she did it to both my characters.

My friends and I do a movie night every weekend, and I pitched playing one of the Dark Anthology games as a group for Halloween. We're gonna try Man of Medan next weekend. I watched a playrhough of Until Dawn and a wee bit of Man of Medan. They're like somewhat bad college horror movies. Looking forward to it. It's not something I would have picked up to play myself seeing how Until Dawn is, but with a group of people who like horror movies it should be fun!
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti
Pages: 1 ... 1541 1542 [1543] 1544 1545 ... 1570