Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1542 1543 [1544] 1545 1546 ... 1571

Author Topic: How did you last die?  (Read 2268296 times)

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How did you last die?
« Reply #23145 on: October 07, 2022, 11:30:17 pm »

My friends and I do a movie night every weekend, and I pitched playing one of the Dark Anthology games as a group for Halloween. We're gonna try Man of Medan next weekend. I watched a playrhough of Until Dawn and a wee bit of Man of Medan. They're like somewhat bad college horror movies. Looking forward to it. It's not something I would have picked up to play myself seeing how Until Dawn is, but with a group of people who like horror movies it should be fun!

I've only played Man of Medan (Little Hope is next on my list, courtesy of accidentally buying Humble Choice again...) but it's... kind of questionable in quality. The horror site Bloody Disgusting (Note-- they have spoilers.) ranks them as Hope < Medan < Ashes < Dawn < Quarry, with Quarry being their favorite. It also might be a little long for movie night-- I believe a playthrough is expected to take on the order of 4-5 hours.

That’s pretty good stuff. Those games are unbelievably forgiving of mistakes.

Edit: in saying that, if they’re what I’m thinking of, only one of those deaths is avoidable.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: October 08, 2022, 12:39:50 am by Aoi »
Stench Guzman: Fix this quote, please.
Now celebrating: Two and a half years misquoted. Seriously man. Just fix it. -_-

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #23146 on: October 07, 2022, 11:39:36 pm »

It wasn’t what I was thinking then, I was thinking of the tutorial heh.

I would probably agree with Bloody Disgusting for the Dark Anthology games, Little Hope is the best of a not great bunch, but I think that’s because I figured out the twist during the tutorial in Medan, and at least clocked a twist at the start of Little Hope, but not what it meant.

House of Ashes was utter garbage, by and large. They… throw a lot at you about what it is going on, and for some reason choose the most utterly ridiculous thing. Possibly due to criticism of the first two games being predictable.

The new one, based solely on the little teaser trailer you get at the end of Ashes, does look like just your standard slasher flick, which I am actually really excited about.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Great Order

• Bay Watcher
  • [SCREAMS_INTERNALLY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #23147 on: October 08, 2022, 09:28:51 am »

The one set in the cabins by a lake?

Northernlion did a let's play of it. Looked pretty good, although I think his commentary added a lot so I can't make a proper judgement there.
I may have wasted all those years
They're not worth their time in tears
I may have spent too long in darkness
In the warmth of my fears

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23148 on: October 09, 2022, 12:38:04 pm »

Underestimated the threat of winter. It came a little earlier than expected, for one. I didn't have a heating plant, it was in the process of being built by the workers. No technical service for snowplows, didn't think that snow-covered roads would be that bad(I was wrong on that). No hospital yet. And I didn't realize that the football field shuts down in cold weather, with footie being literally the only entertainment the workers have. Oh, and everything is running on wind power, so intermittent power failures are the norm.

Result: in less than a month, about 100 people died, and a dozen or so escaped*. The average lifespan of everyone else dropped from 70-80 to ~55. Average happiness dropped from over 80% to around 24%.

They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #23149 on: October 09, 2022, 12:58:32 pm »

A truly happy ending for the Russian economy
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Great Order

• Bay Watcher
  • [SCREAMS_INTERNALLY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #23150 on: October 09, 2022, 01:08:22 pm »

Not a death, but a royal pain in the arse (and due to how economies work, kind of crippling for the whole game)

The game's loving putting my guaranteed habitable worlds adjacent to my overlord, who then proceeds to take them immediately. They could expand anywhere else, but nope. They *have* to go for *my* habitable worlds.

Stellaris

EDIT: Nope, I'm not bothering today. The game's in one of its funny moods where it does everything it can to make sure I can't succeed. It's spawning precursor systems in my overlord's systems, spawning habitable worlds adjacent to them and making them beeline towards those worlds (Oh what a fucking coincidence that EVERY FUCKING TIME they send their science and construction ships there before anything else) and spawning AI empires right in chokepoint systems so I can claim a grand total of three worlds before I'm fucked over.

Also for some mysterious fucking reason my overlords really, REALLY want me to be prospectoriums, which utterly crashes my economy. And it costs influence to say no, influence I don't have.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2022, 01:17:03 pm by Great Order »

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #23151 on: October 09, 2022, 05:26:35 pm »

Not a death, but a royal pain in the arse (and due to how economies work, kind of crippling for the whole game)

The game's loving putting my guaranteed habitable worlds adjacent to my overlord, who then proceeds to take them immediately. They could expand anywhere else, but nope. They *have* to go for *my* habitable worlds.

Stellaris

EDIT: Nope, I'm not bothering today. The game's in one of its funny moods where it does everything it can to make sure I can't succeed. It's spawning precursor systems in my overlord's systems, spawning habitable worlds adjacent to them and making them beeline towards those worlds (Oh what a fucking coincidence that EVERY FUCKING TIME they send their science and construction ships there before anything else) and spawning AI empires right in chokepoint systems so I can claim a grand total of three worlds before I'm fucked over.

Also for some mysterious fucking reason my overlords really, REALLY want me to be prospectoriums, which utterly crashes my economy. And it costs influence to say no, influence I don't have.
Well, you are playing as someone's bitch, so...

I'm reminded of Crusader Kings 2, and how I learned never to be a vassal.  I *think* it has improved, but I remember every overlord trying to systematically take away all my titles.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #23152 on: October 13, 2022, 11:22:08 pm »

Not me literally, but it led to a save reload so...

Dogmeat is a real idiot, and I think the devs acknowledged that by saying he canonically died in the Mariposa military base.  I think I racked up 7 or 8 reloads because he'd do stupid things like run off to aggro a super mutant I hadn't engaged, only to discover that minigun volleys do about twice as much damage as he has HP.  It was at least funny watching bits of Dogmeat meat being slung around the room every time it happened.  Most of the deaths were to miniguns, but he ate a missile once (and survived another beforehand somehow), and once I accidentally shot and killed him with my turbo plasma rifle when I tried to destroy a robobrain shooting at me from across the room.

Ah well, I finally managed to trap him behind a forcefield and kill everything, no problem.  I just laughed every time a mutant shot me, as hardened powered armor is almost indestructible in Fallout 1.  I'm also a terrible min-maxer in Fallout and started the game with 10 EN.  I grabbed Lifegiver despite it being kind of mediocre, but the end result was that I had 188 HP going into the military base and even the crit from a missile that bypassed my armor didn't even do half of my HP in damage.  Same for a minigun blast after it.  I never actually died once in the whole game.

Debating moving on to the next game or waiting.  I once got over 300 HP in it because of the faster leveling.

Fallout.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #23153 on: October 14, 2022, 01:14:54 am »

Yeah, but 10 CH plus maximizing Barter means YOU con the merchants out of all their stuff. Fallout is SO broken.  :D

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #23154 on: October 14, 2022, 04:59:33 am »

Doing low INT run can be a lot of fun in Fallout 1&2, but unfortunately it will lock you out of half of the quests.

Great Order

• Bay Watcher
  • [SCREAMS_INTERNALLY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #23155 on: October 14, 2022, 07:22:28 am »

Game's RNG really, really fucked me over.

I had gas resources on two of my planets, in spite of that the game didn't bother chucking up the gas extraction OR refinery technologies for EIGHTY. YEARS. I was stuck with the most basic research and unity buildings which allowed everyone around me who actually had access to both to overtake me technologically. Thankfully they were all friends, but it meant that seventy years later I'd only just started to properly tear away from them, and one of them decided that good relations were a terrible idea and rivalled me before DoWing me. The one guy who actually posed a threat because they had equivalent power, a couple of allies and a decent vassal.

Then the ravenous hive, who had eaten several empires because the AI was being suicidally overconfident (Seriously, they had less fleet strength, worse economy AND worse tech and still decided to fight them with predictable results), DoWed my vassal.

Threw in the towel there, I was fucked.

Stellaris

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #23156 on: October 16, 2022, 06:20:07 pm »

Ark Survival Evolved.

I didn't read any spoiler or information about the redwood forests in The Island so i didn't knew at all.
That was my first exploration of this otherwise nice looking forest of giant red trees.

Hmm...  what's that thing flying fast toward me ... oh shi...
... rolling on the ground pushed out of my mount ... getting absolutely murdered by what looked like a heat seeking missile with teeth and claws that grabbed on me.

"You have been killed by a Thylacoleo"

googling about what the hell was a thylacoleo i understood that the redwood forest is a nice looking place that you should definitively bombard from orbit.

« Last Edit: October 16, 2022, 06:22:50 pm by Robsoie »

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #23157 on: October 17, 2022, 07:33:44 pm »

That's a terrifying biome for sure. Lots of predators, not just thylacoleos.

I got eaten by terrorbirds like three times on the ragnarok map last week. Just starting out.

ARK, too
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23158 on: October 17, 2022, 08:05:12 pm »

I discovered a minefield. Guess how.

They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23159 on: October 18, 2022, 03:33:24 pm »

I'd taken some damage by getting into tavern brawls, and saving a baby who I later sold, so when I found a treasure buried in the desert, I couldn't take the heat.

Card Cowboy off Itch.io.

Okay, one more run today.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2022, 04:27:23 pm by Iduno »
Pages: 1 ... 1542 1543 [1544] 1545 1546 ... 1571