Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1549 1550 [1551] 1552 1553 ... 1571

Author Topic: How did you last die?  (Read 2262770 times)

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How did you last die?
« Reply #23250 on: January 23, 2023, 09:57:18 am »

Not me exactly, though it did set me back slightly.

Was in Nanping Village, trying the enslave recruit the locals. Managed to get two to agree to visit. Poor stats, but I just need the manpower. As I was trying to talk to the other villagers, one of the new recruits was listed as dead. I looked over, and sure enough, she was dead. Her heart had two injuries: palpitations and lost. Apparently, she got so excited to join a cult that her heart exploded. She was only 17.

She dropped an Anguish Soul Gem that I quickly nabbed, so she wasn't a total loss. In fact she might even be more useful this way.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

AlStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23251 on: January 23, 2023, 12:23:51 pm »

You know, in all my hours of playing Cultivation Simulator, I'd never thought to recruit members by just physically walking up to them and asking them over - I'd always grab the ones that wander into my sect or do recruitment drives in the off-map cities.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23252 on: January 23, 2023, 02:25:31 pm »

It's much slower, as it requires the social minigame, which also requires a good social cultivator. Mine isn't, by the way. Recruiting from your agency is probably the best way to get new slaves recruits, but I'm nowhere that far this run.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.

Great Order

• Bay Watcher
  • [SCREAMS_INTERNALLY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #23253 on: January 26, 2023, 12:23:01 am »

Remnant raid on my not-well-developed system. One of the fleets I took out with minimal losses. The other I'm having to engage in hit-and-run tactics because it's got 5(!) radiants and a metric shitload of other ships. I've lost two furies to it so far, and that's the best result. The fucking radiants can snipe halfway across the battlemap, I'm not sure what mods they've got in them but their tachyon beams are insane.

Starsector
I may have wasted all those years
They're not worth their time in tears
I may have spent too long in darkness
In the warmth of my fears

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #23254 on: January 26, 2023, 06:38:57 pm »

You know, in all my hours of playing Cultivation Simulator, I'd never thought to recruit members by just physically walking up to them and asking them over - I'd always grab the ones that wander into my sect or do recruitment drives in the off-map cities.
Its actually the optimal way to get new people early game since there are so many people just chilling in locations and as long as you are already having someone go to the location 0 ingame time, but it has the downside of being a ton of hassle and micro to you (the player) because the social minigame is just awful.

Note that the only way to complete the full story and properly "win" the game is to do the social minigame but turned up to 11 (since you need to "break" the guard of a chain of like 50 people which is a massive pain in the butt). Its super tough for no reason and just horrible.
And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!
Because the solution to not being able to control your dakka is MOAR DAKKA.

That's it. We've finally crossed over and become the nation of Da Orky Boyz.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23255 on: January 26, 2023, 07:18:58 pm »

Its actually the optimal way to get new people early game since there are so many people just chilling in locations and as long as you are already having someone go to the location 0 ingame time, but it has the downside of being a ton of hassle and micro to you (the player) because the social minigame is just awful.

Note that the only way to complete the full story and properly "win" the game is to do the social minigame but turned up to 11 (since you need to "break" the guard of a chain of like 50 people which is a massive pain in the butt). Its super tough for no reason and just horrible.

Not helping is the fact that some people will randomly have the "Withdrawn" personality, which require one specific pet(the first one), fully grown up, with a specific build to max his Intelligence stat, to use a specific ability that burns a chunk of his Intelligence to use. Pretty sure there's mods to make it easier.

Also not helping is the fact that you also need a character absolutely optimized for social skills. In previous runs, I always started with a high-as-possible Charisma and Social, picking the Hedonist(which boosts Social) and Sunflower Refining Law. As far as I know the only tangible thing you get is a very late game treasure pick, and it's time-limited too. And it's possible the NPCs you're investigating to die from various causes.

EDIT: Died. Researched Iron Age, which increases monster threat by 100. Before that, my threat level was around 250. Put a threat banner to draw as much of that to my main colony, which was the most fortified.

Ran out of copper, and as a result ran out of crossbow ammunition. Two of my outposts were wiped out, other took out most of their population, and my main colony definitely lost more than 2/3rds of its population. Despite shutting off less important industries, and selecting to recruit to fill all jobs(which is does not - it limits itself to 50), my smelters were still understaffed, meaning there was no ammunition, leading to more massacres.

Now I appear to be in an endless death spiral.

« Last Edit: January 27, 2023, 07:47:49 pm by Akura »

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #23256 on: January 28, 2023, 12:50:18 am »

Clobbered by the gravity centrifuge.  I was wondering if it worked like the original game, but since there was no goopy corruption on the floor I thought I might be able to run to the right and survive.  Turns out, no, you have to go left like the original.

Haven't died in combat yet, but it's only medium difficulty so I'm not surprised.  I had the original down to a science.

Overall, very pleased with this remake.  The improved graphics are of course great, and the game looks excellent even on the lower settings I needed to get acceptable framerates on my system.  I'm more pleased at the other tweaks to the game.

Even in just the first few chapters, the characters feel much better.  They integrated Isaac's dialogue perfectly into the game, and it makes some things much more sensible.  He doesn't just walk into the bloody corridor at the beginning of the game, shrug and push a button on the computer without telling anyone this time.

I'm also surprised by the amount of changes they made to the levels.  They flow together better now, and there's enough new rooms and changes to the layout that I've actually been surprised by a few fights, where in the original game I had the spawn points pretty much memorized for the whole game.

It's also harder overall.  Part of that is probably just needing to fight stuff I'm not expecting for a change, but enemies feel tougher.  I think it's because they have individual segments on limbs you have to shoot the meat off of before actually damaging the limb, but it could just be that they're just tougher and any hits to a limb count even if to different segments.  It's hard to tell.  It's also funny because shooting grenades at them turns them into walking skeletons sometimes if it doesn't kill them outright.  The damage changes also mean Isaac can't just stomp corpses' legs off like the Incredible Hulk.  It takes several stomps now.  On the other hand, sometimes he stomps a head and only the skin flies off, which is funny but weird.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23257 on: January 31, 2023, 04:50:39 pm »

I was working on a long challenge in Realm Grinder: run the demon spell for 48 hours during one reincarnation (you can switch factions and gain gems, but you can't finish the reincarnation during that time). Near the end, I thought to look up any other challenges I could do while I was doing that.

Yeah, I need to play 3 different alignments (chaos, order, and balance) for at least 24 hours each, and have 1 minute or less difference in the time I play each (you can then continue playing to get to the 48 hours for the demons).

Well, that's at least 24 hours I could have saved if I'd have bothered to prepare for what I knew was going to be a very long run. I guess I can also work towards the goal of 30 days offline play time (which I also could have done during the 48-hour run) I'm in the mid-20's already. And another 24 hours of angel playtime towards their very annoying artifact (x/25,920,000 % chance to find, where x is total angel playtime in seconds).

MCreeper

• Bay Watcher
  • My bus is late
    • View Profile
« Reply #23258 on: February 02, 2023, 05:40:00 am »

High tech, low life indeed. Beginning of third year as rich explorer. That can't either cook or pick plants, therefore mostly feeding on raw corpses. And since she cuts tress extremely slowly, building stuff is a torturous affair.
Rimworld

Also, mods are stupid. If player wants his constructed freaks to have stark green fur, it is his own business, but why push it onto original races?
« Last Edit: February 02, 2023, 07:57:00 am by MCreeper »

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #23259 on: February 03, 2023, 03:13:15 am »

I spend about fifteen minutes getting everything ready for MASS PRODUCED MUSHRROM SOOOOP. The reason is that its a decent enough food that works well with a mod I have installed (spice of life: sweet potato edition, which gives you bonuses based on the number of different types and quality of foods you eat).
I make THE SOOOP, only to discover that it doesn't stack and fills up my whole inventory. IT IS THUS TRASH.

I spend the next hour searching for a mod to STACK MY SOUP. Sadly the SOUP STACKING mod doesn't work for the version I'm using, and thus useless.
However I find a mod to STACK EVERYTHING UP TO A MILLION BLOCKS PER SLOT.

Excellent. After another half hour spent installing it and making a config for it I CAN NOW STACK SOUP. I of course can't stack anything else any more then I normally could BECAUSE SOUP IS ALL.

I STACK MY SOUP. And consume one of them in the stack. And eat the entire stack in one bite. Sheet.
Whelp. (I still use it occasionally, but not full stacks of it like I was planning on).
And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23260 on: February 04, 2023, 11:06:07 am »

What do you mean you're at soup?
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

MCreeper

• Bay Watcher
  • My bus is late
    • View Profile
« Reply #23261 on: February 05, 2023, 03:39:30 pm »

Visitors are afraid to enter becuase of manhunter alpaca. Nah, they'll deal with it, assure safety.
Manhunter waste rat pack!
Manhunter racoon pack!
Manhunter guinea pig pack!

Rimworld
« Last Edit: February 05, 2023, 04:25:56 pm by MCreeper »

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23262 on: February 05, 2023, 03:52:29 pm »

Second time out of dock. I set the autopilot to the next station, then leave to organize the supplies I just bought. Right as I finish that, before I can get back to the command station, I get warnings about leaks in stowage(where I just finished moving supplies out of). I presumably mis-set the autopilot to stop, because right after that I get more leaks over other parts of the ship.

I can only assume that I did mess up trying to stop, because the next time I tried to enter the command station, I was smashed by a wall of water the moment I opened the door. I would assume that instead of stopping, I went full throttle into rock/ice.

EDIT: Another instance of bad glitchy defeat. Entered a raid against a Ground-type Slowking. Defeated it, but the decided that no, I didn't win, and gave Slowking another attack, which knocked out my Azumarill, causing the timer to run out from the penalty, causing the game to give the win to Slowking. I also would have won earlier if the game hadn't also pulled a "neutralize your team's stat changes" effect in the middle of my turn... right after I used Belly Drum.

« Last Edit: February 08, 2023, 04:08:30 pm by Akura »

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #23263 on: February 13, 2023, 01:35:12 am »

I died to a ghast a super long way from my base in the nether. Luckily I dug a tunnel all the way there so it should be trivial to get it all. Then on the way back I dug out one tile (since one of the stairs was 2 tiles high) and the lava spread all the way down a long staircase and I died. Then I died again.

By the time I get back all my items are gone.
My heavily enchanted netherite pickaxe which I had finally gotten perfect (Fortune 2, unbreaking, mending, efficency 4), my good shovel (unbreaking+efficency 4), my not particularly good armor, the rest of my armor and tools, and all the spare niche tools I also had on me. I also lost my artifacts, (one gave 4 max health bonus, the other increased attack speed) which are randomly found in the world and can't ever be crafted.

Most importantly though is that all my backpacks despawned.

There were tons of stuff in them; at least 12 stacks of raw ores, backpack upgrades (worth 4 diamonds), 48 emeralds, stacks of logs and dirt and stone, as well as a ton of other stuff that I simply had in case of emergencies.
Aside from my enchanted pickaxe all of that is recoverable from given sufficient time.

But that isn't all. I also lost my mekanism bag, which contained every machine needed to upgrade from X3 ore multiplication to X4 ore multiplication. The big multiblock machine, the other two random but still quite expensive machines, the spare grinder and alloy infusers. Most importantly it lost me this:

A machine made using another machine made using another machine. It took a lot of miscellaneous resources, but most importantly it took 16(!!!!!) diamonds.
---
I have a lot of stuff back at base, and I'll rebuild, and eventually I'll get another fortune pickaxe.
But ugh, it will take a while.

E: Just realized I was a complete idiot and realized I missed an entire item category: Infused diamond/redstone/whatever that would have let me use only 2 diamonds if I take a processing step in between instead of 16.
At least I don't need to mine a ton more diamonds.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2023, 03:49:09 am by lemon10 »

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23264 on: February 13, 2023, 07:15:07 pm »

I finally got around to playing Dishonored. I'm on my first real mission: kill the head overseer. First playthrough, I got him, but failed to save some guy, and missed a lot of treasure. So I replayed the end. Now the plot point to get him to leave the room with his guest and guards won't fire. I'll see tomorrow if I still have the interest to play through that part of the mission a third time.
Pages: 1 ... 1549 1550 [1551] 1552 1553 ... 1571