Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1568 1569 [1570] 1571

Author Topic: How did you last die?  (Read 2267587 times)

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How did you last die?
« Reply #23535 on: February 14, 2024, 07:38:51 pm »

Goddamned idiot AI for my builder trucks, running directly at the enemy despite being able to repair a turret from where they're standing, or charging even faster when I order them to move in the opposite direction.

Also, screw the tech tree design. I don't usually build cyborg units, but you have to research the factory - which I don't have time for because I have to research bigger guns to deal with the ever-increasing swarm of bigger enemy tanks(despite them not plausibly having the resources to build that many) - in order to research bigger tank bodies. After all, the bigger enemy tanks simply laugh off dozens of direct mortar hits while driving right up to a wall of rocket towers and cannon bunkers and one-shotting the trucks trying keep the defenses alive(which they fail at).

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

EDIT: Screwed myself pretty hard. I had thought that if I opened my suit's air tank inside my pressurized base that it would refill. No, it instead blew out, going from around 22k kPa to 100kPa, which is about a minute and a half's worth of oxygen. I don't yet have the infrastructure to refill it the correct way.

« Last Edit: February 20, 2024, 05:49:23 am by Akura »
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #23536 on: March 06, 2024, 01:00:05 am »

Killed by Ridley in Super Metroid.  I learned then that missiles did much less damage than charged beam attacks to him.

I think I died about 5 times overall, mostly to bosses.  Kraid, Draygon, and Ridley all got me on my first attempts, but I beat Phantoon and Mother Brain on my first tries.  I died a couple of times to trash enemies or environmental hazards.

Considering replaying it again soon.  I think I could do deathless now without too much trouble.

Spoiler: Random Thoughts (click to show/hide)
Through pain, I find wisdom.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #23537 on: March 06, 2024, 10:29:12 am »

Playing Super Metroid when it came out was a highlight of my childhood gaming experiences.

My hands still remember the pain of trying to get the wall jump to work consistently. My brother was great at it. Me, not so much.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Mathel

• Bay Watcher
  • A weird guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23538 on: March 06, 2024, 10:50:10 am »

I am pretty good at wall jump, but bomb jump is pretty difficult.
The shield beats the sword.
Urge to drink milk while eating steak wrapped with bacon rising...
Outer planes are not subject to any laws of physics that would prevent them from doing their job.
Better than the heavenly host eating your soul.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #23539 on: March 19, 2024, 03:16:17 am »

Spoiler: Big CKII Map (click to show/hide)

We're still pre-crusade, though idk how since I thought Kent in southern England was a trigger for it and that's in pagan saxon hands... has been for years.

Sicily, A salerno count start, was going to be a 'make a new empire of the islands'.  It's been a fight the whole way.  I had the origianl duke and his family smothered to death and then got the pope to give me a claim on the sole daughter-heir.  In the 769 starts benevento is a tribuitary of the lombards.  They forced me to make peace, but I truce broke when they walked away and won.

The the byzantines were the main problem.  We fought for sicily, then I cut into the westernholdings.  They started on Africa so I felt I was obligated to cut them off.  The aztecs are enabled, set for 1000ad, thatll be a crapshoot.  Byzantine was having a rough time between me and bulgaria and armenia, and armenia/georgia fell to a bunch of mercs who own the land.

To the west, Uyyamads exploded and a new dynasty reformed after several failed attempts to take malrocca from a tributary who I married to a pretender son.  They were not my vassal, so I kept them safe until it passed into my bloodline, then used a claim of one of their pretenders to integrate it.  Holy Freakin Rome formed, Ruining everyone's fun, but at its weakest is only as strong as I am at my strongest, ~28k troops.  Recently bohemia and pannonia converted, but before that the only notable conversion was serbia.  You might notice that you cannot find the name 'serbia' on the map - that is because the shia pimp slapped them into wallachia.  The saxon bloodline currently holds austrusia, saxony, croatia, pannonia, and pannonia.  I dont know how those freaks are even still alive, between all the petty wars and their zero levies.  According to the game rules that dynasty is thriving and winning!  As mentioned before, saxony has fingers in England, and have control of Kent.

idk what the shia is doing, I dont recall how their event troops work but I killed like 10k of them in a war they declared on me.  They seem to have respawned/regenned.  The shia, in a war for cyprus, tore out most of antolia from byzantine.  They then went after my greek holdings.  From there they went up into the balkans.  Im afraid of how that ends if they keep getting event troops.

Finally, idk what the mongols are doing, nor am I sure why the Abbassids are under the power of the western protectorate.  That last bit is very, very new.  Must be to protect their 50k troops from the 65k shia caliphate in syria, and smeared all over asia minor.

My own dynasty is doing fine.  100 living members from 3 gen1 children.  Many of them have good genes, or at least a bloodline from a matrilinial marriage to some khan or karling.  This ones a eunuch now because of a case of sever gout, but I have sons already.  A shame to lose the beanbags though.  As it sits, I have to figure out what to do about the shia, but long-term I hope to still form my new empire of greece/sicily/sardinia.  Holy Rome completely screwed the european empires up, so I want to gobble up what remains of italy too.  That means taking from the pope and dealing with his revenges.

If montazuma and his boys come knocking at my door, I might convert and just run with that, helping the aztec empire conquer the world.  This whole game has become a shark tank:  everyone around me is strong enough to stab me in the back, and Im utterly surrounded.  My campaign is being threatened.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #23540 on: March 20, 2024, 09:23:58 pm »

@pisskop: Heh, that ain't dying, that is just CKII.

You could join the Holy Roman Empire and eat them from within while they defend you from most things outside.

Also, with that many kids, you should be able to ally up.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23541 on: March 28, 2024, 03:23:34 pm »

Killed by the sheegoth boss in Metroid Prime.

Until that moment I hadn't ever even come close to dying, but it took me a few cycles of its attack pattern to recognize how to damage it, and by that point I'd wasted too many missiles to kill it.  I read up afterward that bombs also work, which explains the bit about concussive blasts damaging its underbelly.  For some reason I thought that meant you could shoot missiles at its belly, which did not work because of the subtle auto aim causing Samus to shoot its back.

I feel like compared to Super Metroid I've probably missed several missile upgrades.  I think I had a max of 35 while fighting it, which is about twice as many as you need if you know what you're doing, but I didn't.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #23542 on: March 28, 2024, 04:51:08 pm »

Died because I couldn't find the pharmacy...

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23543 on: March 31, 2024, 04:17:08 pm »

Some of the items added in this mod are police gear, such as tasers, zip-tie cuffs, and batons. Tried to do a "nonlethal" Outpost run by tasing and zip-tying enemies. Sadly, very few of my arrests survived... mostly due to physics. The game tends to jerk them hard when I put the cuffs on them, and it's surprisingly hard to get their hands around to put them in the cuffs, resulting a few deaths by blunt force trauma as they smack into the floor at high speed at short distance. And there was that guy whose head I accidentally ripped off trying to pull him away from a ledge with gravity magic. Oops. Gave up when I accidentally dropped my taser and it apparently phased out of existence.

They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23544 on: March 31, 2024, 11:42:27 pm »

Some of the items added in this mod are police gear, such as tasers, zip-tie cuffs, and batons. Tried to do a "nonlethal" Outpost run by tasing and zip-tying enemies. Sadly, very few of my arrests survived... mostly due to physics. The game tends to jerk them hard when I put the cuffs on them, and it's surprisingly hard to get their hands around to put them in the cuffs, resulting a few deaths by blunt force trauma as they smack into the floor at high speed at short distance. And there was that guy whose head I accidentally ripped off trying to pull him away from a ledge with gravity magic. Oops. Gave up when I accidentally dropped my taser and it apparently phased out of existence.

Going the extra mile for immersion and realism... heartwarming.
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

Mathel

• Bay Watcher
  • A weird guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23545 on: April 01, 2024, 08:55:17 am »

Playing legendary difficulty, with some extra mods. Sometimes when I try to assassinate a particularly powerful foe in melee, I slash them and drop dead, without them even trying to do anything to me.

This happened once with one of Kematu's Alik'r and several times with Rigel Strong-Arm. With her, I did kill her eventually and found she had no items that should reflect damage.

Skyrim
The shield beats the sword.
Urge to drink milk while eating steak wrapped with bacon rising...
Outer planes are not subject to any laws of physics that would prevent them from doing their job.
Better than the heavenly host eating your soul.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23546 on: April 01, 2024, 08:00:08 pm »

What started as the simple theft of maple syrup turned into a massive assault on my lair by one of the super agents and his backup. My entire workforce was wiped out, more or less. I had to hide myself in the lab as that was the furthest room away from them. Even then, they almost got in. Only survived because they eventually got bogged down by wave after wave of freshly-bought workers. Despite that, most of the force(they were high level Investigators, plus some average-level soldiers from a normal raid unrelated to the syrup mission) escaped with a ton of evidence. There are bodies everywhere, and most of the base equipment is falling apart since there already was barely enough technicians to keep it running.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #23547 on: April 01, 2024, 08:04:48 pm »

worth buying?

I finished my other ckii campaign.  It wasn't interesting, except for the fact that tenghri reformed and the western protectorate won a crusade for ruthenia.

all of a sudden there were tribuitaries and chinese artifacts everywhere.

While it may have turned interesting I gave up when I single handedly beat the 200k aztec invasion with about 35k worth of troops that I recycled and good terrain balancing and ship abuse.  and this is on 'hard'

my new campaign, a replay, is going well. a notmygenes dynasty member got control of italy and bavaria and the aztec too land all the way to egypt.  theyve been targeting people I go to war with too, negating my ability to harass their event troops with my 20k demesne
« Last Edit: April 01, 2024, 08:09:43 pm by pisskop »
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #23548 on: April 01, 2024, 08:07:46 pm »

I much preferred the first one. EG2 should be called power management simulator.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23549 on: April 02, 2024, 09:47:56 am »

Died twice in the Phazon Mines in Metroid Prime: Remastered.  The combat difficulty has suddenly and sharply increased here, with the different beam troopers honestly getting kind of obnoxious to deal with, especially with the bigger turrets backing them up.

Spoiler: Small Rant (click to show/hide)
Pages: 1 ... 1568 1569 [1570] 1571