Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1301 1302 [1303] 1304 1305 ... 1570

Author Topic: How did you last die?  (Read 2244663 times)

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
Re: How did you last die?
« Reply #19530 on: August 06, 2017, 10:10:49 am »

All but two of my gals are dead, and one of them is unconscious (thankfully not bleeding).

Thing is, it's cold, which saps Energy.

After trying to pick up the second gal and bring her to the Airbus, the still-standing gal essentially becomes a frozen statue due to encumberment and the cold.

Then she falls unconscious because she's a frozen statue in the middle of a battlefield.

I lose my girls, the mission, and the airbus, and I'm not far enough into the game where I can get a new ship... at all, actually.

I love this game, but sometimes I fucking hate it.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19531 on: August 06, 2017, 06:55:10 pm »

Built a small submarine(my first attempt at intentionally putting my ships underwater), with all the components that would stick up out of the water being made of alloy so as to minimize radar, plus using IR cameras for surface detection(passive sonar and forward 90° active sonar for underwater detection). Either way, it's a sub, so under the waves it goes.

Battle test against a DWG Urchin and next a DWG Marauder, both while the sub is fully submerged at least 15m under. The Urchin begins firing immediately though its bullets bounce right off. The Marauder points its forward CRAMgun through the bottom of its deck and blows off nearly a third of my sub. As far as I know, neither ship has underwater detection.

They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19532 on: August 08, 2017, 08:57:44 pm »

Playing the second-to-last story mission. Throws a lot of new crap at you, all at once. Brand new enemy units, new enemy mechanics, and a new "cannon" that isn't actually a cannon at all.

My first attempt is pretty normal; build up a safe zone as best I can, get my ships built, try to sort out a path of advance, get more than a little overwhelmed by everything going on. Then the cannon activates. Instead of shooting a projectile or some sort of beam, it basically spawns a very long line of particulate across the entire map. This causes intense damage to everything in its path, and can even one-shot a ship if a particle manages to spawn on the ship's core. Cover, whether natural cover or benign particulate or other ships, is useless against it.

Forgot to mention, this thing shoots every 30 seconds or so.

My first run has my battered fleet unable to fight off the incredibly massive waves of incoming particles and deal with a cannon at the same time. A couple of abortive attempts are made to push out of my starting area, but before long I'm stuck in an endless loop of rebuilding and losing ships.

My second attempt is a rush. Sort of. I quickly queue up every warship I have with the intention of at least dealing with the nearest enemy outpost. I'm thinking that if I can at least reduce the incoming enemy waves, even just a little, that might be the tipping point I need to win. Unfortunately the initial waves are just too massive. I'm forced to sacrifice a couple of my weaker ships to defend the CO ship and lose a few of my turrets, but my fleet is fully built by the time the cannon first comes online. I order them to move to attack...

And watch in pure rage as a perfect shot from the cannon one-shots three ships, including one of my most heavily-armed warships and a vital Lathe vessel, and either damaging or disabling most of the others. Instantly quit.

Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19533 on: August 09, 2017, 04:59:07 am »

Had to build a city from scratch as a bulwark against Carthage's push across the Alps. Right away I put down most of my money on iron mines, a swordsmith, and a legion fort. Shortly in, before the first cohort even has 10 men trained, I get a message of Carthage making an attack. Fortunately it takes awhile to arrive, so my first cohort has a few more men in it, allowing me to brush aside their attack with ease. As the last Carthaginian soldier dies, Carthage sends another wave. Larger, and I take more casualties as a result despite the long arrival time giving me chance to build up more.

It's a little while before the next wave is sent. Unfortunately I'm largely strapped for cash having just spent most of it on research to improve recruiting and setting up a wine industry to trade. This attack however had half a dozen elephants(which is historically inaccurate - only one elephant actually survived crossing the Alps), and I take very heavy casualties clearing them. My legionnaires weren't drilled very well it seems, charging at their swordsmen while the archers(and elephants) rained arrows.

Next wave is more elephants, more everything, and this time my whole legion(such as it was) was wiped out. I only survived because the fort kept spawning free cohort leaders(I think they're free, at least) and sending them one at a time to grind them down as their elephants shot up my bread industry. As soon as the last elephant died, another goddamn wave of Carthaginians is sent. Despite heavily expanding my weapons industry, for some reason my fort stopped recruiting new legionnaires, despite the fact I can visibly see the weaponsmiths working. Thus, I only had three men against over a dozen elephants, and at least a dozen more each swordsmen and archers.

They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.

nomoetoe

• Bay Watcher
  • Victorian Walrus
    • View Profile
« Reply #19534 on: August 11, 2017, 01:21:14 pm »

I had started with the helicopter crash scenario as a military recruit, I walked north for a day or two occasionally having to deal with violent wildlife, after some time I finally see a town, after waiting for nightfall I go to the office tower that was a little outside of the town, things had gone well, I made several trips into town at night for food, books and supplies, I even managed to find a functioning electric car, and immediately after found a functioning SUV. I knew in my gut that if things are going this well something bad has to happen.

It was day 12 I think, a smoker zombie had broken into the tower and I quickly dealt with it, unfortunately there was also a skeleton, which due to my inhaling of smoke I was unable to easily deal with, I managed to kill it at the cost of breaking both of my arms, I thought to myself, ok I'll just make some splints and hang around for a bit, My first aid skill is too low, I have no first aid books, the town is basically looted.

At this point I decide its time to pack up and leave, I used my decent money reserve to buy and fill up some gas in my SUV, I also managed to smack into a gas pump at high velocity and mostly destroy it somehow surviving, I load my stuff up into my electric car, dealing with a few zombies while I do so, I slammed into a wrecked car and broke the engine off. I run along a road to see if there is anything that way, its a cemetery, ok then.

I managed to find yet another functioning vehicle drive north out of the town along a road and it runs out of gas, dogs are attacking me, I hide in another car, a wolf is after me, zombies are coming, I make a run for it, I'm in too much pain to run fast enough, I die.

The most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched. At least that's what the restraining order says.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Perhaps I'll
    • View Profile
« Reply #19535 on: August 11, 2017, 05:07:06 pm »

"Tiny enemy that's unreasonably fast and stuns you for ten seconds." Have these people actually played videogames before? How could they not realize that's not fun?
Down at the bottom of the ocean. Beneath tons of brine which would crush you down. Not into broken and splintered flesh, but into thin soup. Into just more of the sea water. Where things live that aren't so different from you, but you will never live to touch them and they will never live to touch you.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19536 on: August 12, 2017, 06:11:40 am »

Because they legitamately do not give a shit.
ARK is in early access and has paid DLC.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #19537 on: August 12, 2017, 09:02:03 am »

I dont mind medusa heads, per se. 

But hippity hoppity baby raptors that jump higher than a birdamon flies is kinda silly.

You being stunned for a while because you fell off a birdamon at distances that usually cause broken legs, necks, arms, collarbones, or any other it you'd land on sounds fair.  The land lamprey enemy sounds cute.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

somemildmanneredidiot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19538 on: August 12, 2017, 09:16:24 am »

I believe that the Stun is an ability of the miniraptor, and that being Stunned caused the dismount.
"As to why you'd want to [throw your sword in combat] at all? The answer is pretty simple: There's someone you want to stab, but they're all the way over there, and walking is for peasants." - Starke of How To Fight Write

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19539 on: August 12, 2017, 12:31:25 pm »

Because they legitamately do not give a shit.
ARK is in early access and has paid DLC.
It's worse than that. They've also doubled the price now.
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
« Reply #19540 on: August 12, 2017, 12:55:11 pm »

At this point triple-a gaming feels like it needs a fucking ark.

Like, the biblical one. Complete with copious flooding to the point where the entire planet is covered.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #19541 on: August 13, 2017, 06:07:51 am »

I've been repeatedly failing horribly at the time trial part of the Orokin Derelict run for Ayatan treasures. Feels even worse given that I'm almost entirely in it for the nanospores. Ah well, c'est la vie.

Warframe.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19542 on: August 13, 2017, 08:36:35 am »

Decided to pit my battleship against a Steel Striders Excalibur-class battleship. It spawned in at close broadside range. During the opening exchange, the impact of the Excalibur's volley launched my ship to lightspeed, dropping my framerate to single digits and probably would have crashed the game had I not closed it myself.

Also still wondering how the Excalibur's big guns can fire much faster than my own, despite being having a larger bullet(425mmx4000mm vs my 402mmx3520mm). My guns also have a better load-time multiplier(0.35x vs its 0.78x), along with a lower base reload time(33.6 seconds, vs 37.66 seconds). My guns should be reloading in less than half the time, but theirs fire twice as fast(both have barrel cooling issues btw). The only difference I can see is that the Excalibur gun has several autoloaders, which imparts a load-speed penalty, and I've tested it myself to see if multiple loaders will load faster despite the penalty(it doesn't near as I can tell).

marples

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19543 on: August 13, 2017, 09:27:28 am »

I've been repeatedly failing horribly at the time trial part of the Orokin Derelict run for Ayatan treasures. Feels even worse given that I'm almost entirely in it for the nanospores. Ah well, c'est la vie.

Warframe.

Titania and Wukong are the cheese frames for that run. Loki or Zephyr can make it easier, but with some skill still needed.

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #19544 on: August 13, 2017, 01:52:57 pm »

God dammit Poland. I needed the winged hussars to arrive to defeat the Ottomans and they peaced out for no reason in the middle of the war >:C

I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.
Pages: 1 ... 1301 1302 [1303] 1304 1305 ... 1570