Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1333 1334 [1335]

Author Topic: How did you last die?  (Read 1044437 times)

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How did you last die?
« Reply #20010 on: August 12, 2017, 12:31:25 pm »

Because they legitamately do not give a shit.
ARK is in early access and has paid DLC.
It's worse than that. They've also doubled the price now.
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorta Stealthy Crazed Gunman
    • View Profile
« Reply #20011 on: August 12, 2017, 12:55:11 pm »

At this point triple-a gaming feels like it needs a fucking ark.

Like, the biblical one. Complete with copious flooding to the point where the entire planet is covered.

greatorder

• Bay Watcher
  • [FAPPING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #20012 on: August 12, 2017, 01:28:24 pm »

Well, Ark has once again been uninstalled (and knowing me, in three months I'll want to play it again). This time because the game engine itself seemed to work to fuck me over (and because the devs, once again, coded in a retarded behaviour)

I raided a beaver dam for cementing paste since all the beavers were occupied with an alpha raptor that was murdering them. I could have escaped had they come after me.

What I did NOT count on was two things happening.

1) For NO FUCKING REASON my FPS went from a playable-if-bad 20fps (the area I was in is just like that) to 3fps
2) For SOME FUCKING REASON beavers are far more angry at you for daring to touch their dam than they are at a raptor that is actively killing you.

Combination of those two things resulted in my exceptionally rapid death as the game was no longer paying any attention to my input thanks to the fucking FPS tank that happened.
My sigtext!

Unless you plan on playing something with me, don't friend me on Steam. I try to keep the list as small as possible and only with people I know IRL or want to play a game.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer, seek, seek, lest.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #20013 on: August 13, 2017, 06:07:51 am »

I've been repeatedly failing horribly at the time trial part of the Orokin Derelict run for Ayatan treasures. Feels even worse given that I'm almost entirely in it for the nanospores. Ah well, c'est la vie.

Warframe.

I believe in you.
Bury me three feet deep / I'm not half as dead as they are
I'm not half as dead / Half as dead as you

Hornet Ring + 9? Hornet Ring +9. A journey in fencing!
Commission an Artwork

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20014 on: August 13, 2017, 08:36:35 am »

Decided to pit my battleship against a Steel Striders Excalibur-class battleship. It spawned in at close broadside range. During the opening exchange, the impact of the Excalibur's volley launched my ship to lightspeed, dropping my framerate to single digits and probably would have crashed the game had I not closed it myself.

Also still wondering how the Excalibur's big guns can fire much faster than my own, despite being having a larger bullet(425mmx4000mm vs my 402mmx3520mm). My guns also have a better load-time multiplier(0.35x vs its 0.78x), along with a lower base reload time(33.6 seconds, vs 37.66 seconds). My guns should be reloading in less than half the time, but theirs fire twice as fast(both have barrel cooling issues btw). The only difference I can see is that the Excalibur gun has several autoloaders, which imparts a load-speed penalty, and I've tested it myself to see if multiple loaders will load faster despite the penalty(it doesn't near as I can tell).

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

marples

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20015 on: August 13, 2017, 09:27:28 am »

I've been repeatedly failing horribly at the time trial part of the Orokin Derelict run for Ayatan treasures. Feels even worse given that I'm almost entirely in it for the nanospores. Ah well, c'est la vie.

Warframe.

Titania and Wukong are the cheese frames for that run. Loki or Zephyr can make it easier, but with some skill still needed.

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • The first mankind, all over the world!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20016 on: August 13, 2017, 01:52:57 pm »

God dammit Poland. I needed the winged hussars to arrive to defeat the Ottomans and they peaced out for no reason in the middle of the war >:C

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • Gi'in it laldy
    • View Profile
« Reply #20017 on: August 13, 2017, 02:37:42 pm »

Footrests are scary, man.
For any trans people in the US who might be here, if you don't have up to date ID, there are folks on twitter offering advice and help paying for passport fees. I wouldn't expect a Trump-Pence administration to have policies friendly to trans people.
https://twitter.com/mcclure111/status/796463955703169026
https://twitter.com/KendraSerra/status/796452580129849344

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #20018 on: August 13, 2017, 03:00:06 pm »

God dammit Poland. I needed the winged hussars to arrive to defeat the Ottomans and they peaced out for no reason in the middle of the war >:C

Because the game hates you. 

Ah, but seriously, some possibilities:

1. Generals.  Good generals give significant bonuses.  Shock and Fire are flat bonuses, but even Maneuver can play a role around rivers and straits (see below). 

2. Military tech.  If they outstrip you technologically (and if historical lucky nations are enabled, they have extra points to invest in tech), they may have superior "military tactics" points.  This also plays into chosen units, as better units have more offensive or defensive pips, and multipliers, as better tech gives you better unit modifiers.

3. National advisors.  Again, historical lucky nations get a bonus due to paying less for upkeep on advisors.  +10% in straight morale from army reformers and +5% discipline (indirectly boosting inflicted casualties and morale damage) from commandants are the two to watch out for in combat itself; the others affect how many troops they can field or how quickly they can replenish losses. 

4. Piety/Religion. As a Muslim nation, Piety can give them a 10% bonus on starting morale, while for anyone, picking up Defender of the Faith is another 5%.  If they somehow went Shia, that's another 5%, but for the Ottomans, that's less likely. 

5. Army Tradition/Power Projection.  If they've been fighting a lot, 100 tradition will give them major bonuses (+25% morale, +10% morale recovery), and if they've been fighting rivals specifically, Power Projection is another +10% morale at 100 power. 

6. Prestige.  Another +10% to morale here at 100 prestige, but on the flip side, if your prestige is negative, your own morale can drop by as low as -10% at -100 prestige.

7. Terrain.  If you're attacking, terrain works against you.  Mountains are a flat -2 to the attacker's rolls; wooded/forested terrain, hills, and highlands are -1.  If you don't have a leader with superior Maneuver, river crossings are a further -1 while straits and amphibious attacks are -2.  If you attack from multiple provinces and even one attacker gets a penalty, all attackers gets the penalty. 

8. (EDIT) Traditions/Ideas.  Ottomans always have +5% discipline, and their third national idea is +15% to cavalry combat ability.  The rest depends on which ideas they pick.  If they go Aristocratic, that's another +10% to Cavalry Combat ability.  Defensive gives +15% to Morale.  Offensive gives +1 to Shock and Fire pips and a further +5% to discipline.  Quality is +10% to both Infantry, Cavalry, and Artillery Combat as they work their way up, plus 5% discipline at the top.  In other words, there's a lot here. 

Some of these, thankfully, work for you as well: prestige, army tradition, power projection, etc.  Even the luck bonuses are thankfully more indirect than they once were, though I still tend to prefer either randomizing or deactivating them entirely.  That's not an option if you're achievement-hunting, but otherwise, it might be worth considering. 
« Last Edit: August 13, 2017, 03:07:10 pm by Culise »

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • The first mankind, all over the world!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20019 on: August 14, 2017, 05:47:34 am »

Thanks for the tips. I figured out afterward that it was because they had guns and I (as Mamluks) didn't; since we didn't really get a say in the fire phase (because I only keep one cannon per army for siege purposes until they outgun infantry at Mil 16,) they could wreck our morale without issue.

I managed to secure a white peace via attrition warfare afterward. I formed Arabia during the extensive truce, as the truce gave me time to conquer Oman without fear of the Ottomans striking. Subsequently, Poland (now the Commonwealth) started a war a couple decades ago that eventually freed Albania and returned a core to me, so since the Commonwealth-Austria-Arabia alliance seems to be a hard Ottoman counter, I'm currently waiting for them to attack one of their neighbors so I can strike, taking bits of Ethiopia and working on Quantity ideas in the meantime.
Pages: 1 ... 1333 1334 [1335]