Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1302 1303 [1304] 1305 1306 ... 1570

Author Topic: How did you last die?  (Read 2244536 times)

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
Re: How did you last die?
« Reply #19545 on: August 13, 2017, 02:37:42 pm »

Footrests are scary, man.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #19546 on: August 13, 2017, 03:00:06 pm »

God dammit Poland. I needed the winged hussars to arrive to defeat the Ottomans and they peaced out for no reason in the middle of the war >:C

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Because the game hates you. 

Ah, but seriously, some possibilities:

1. Generals.  Good generals give significant bonuses.  Shock and Fire are flat bonuses, but even Maneuver can play a role around rivers and straits (see below). 

2. Military tech.  If they outstrip you technologically (and if historical lucky nations are enabled, they have extra points to invest in tech), they may have superior "military tactics" points.  This also plays into chosen units, as better units have more offensive or defensive pips, and multipliers, as better tech gives you better unit modifiers.

3. National advisors.  Again, historical lucky nations get a bonus due to paying less for upkeep on advisors.  +10% in straight morale from army reformers and +5% discipline (indirectly boosting inflicted casualties and morale damage) from commandants are the two to watch out for in combat itself; the others affect how many troops they can field or how quickly they can replenish losses. 

4. Piety/Religion. As a Muslim nation, Piety can give them a 10% bonus on starting morale, while for anyone, picking up Defender of the Faith is another 5%.  If they somehow went Shia, that's another 5%, but for the Ottomans, that's less likely. 

5. Army Tradition/Power Projection.  If they've been fighting a lot, 100 tradition will give them major bonuses (+25% morale, +10% morale recovery), and if they've been fighting rivals specifically, Power Projection is another +10% morale at 100 power. 

6. Prestige.  Another +10% to morale here at 100 prestige, but on the flip side, if your prestige is negative, your own morale can drop by as low as -10% at -100 prestige.

7. Terrain.  If you're attacking, terrain works against you.  Mountains are a flat -2 to the attacker's rolls; wooded/forested terrain, hills, and highlands are -1.  If you don't have a leader with superior Maneuver, river crossings are a further -1 while straits and amphibious attacks are -2.  If you attack from multiple provinces and even one attacker gets a penalty, all attackers gets the penalty. 

8. (EDIT) Traditions/Ideas.  Ottomans always have +5% discipline, and their third national idea is +15% to cavalry combat ability.  The rest depends on which ideas they pick.  If they go Aristocratic, that's another +10% to Cavalry Combat ability.  Defensive gives +15% to Morale.  Offensive gives +1 to Shock and Fire pips and a further +5% to discipline.  Quality is +10% to both Infantry, Cavalry, and Artillery Combat as they work their way up, plus 5% discipline at the top.  In other words, there's a lot here. 

Some of these, thankfully, work for you as well: prestige, army tradition, power projection, etc.  Even the luck bonuses are thankfully more indirect than they once were, though I still tend to prefer either randomizing or deactivating them entirely.  That's not an option if you're achievement-hunting, but otherwise, it might be worth considering. 
« Last Edit: August 13, 2017, 03:07:10 pm by Culise »

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #19547 on: August 14, 2017, 05:47:34 am »

Thanks for the tips. I figured out afterward that it was because they had guns and I (as Mamluks) didn't; since we didn't really get a say in the fire phase (because I only keep one cannon per army for siege purposes until they outgun infantry at Mil 16,) they could wreck our morale without issue.

I managed to secure a white peace via attrition warfare afterward. I formed Arabia during the extensive truce, as the truce gave me time to conquer Oman without fear of the Ottomans striking. Subsequently, Poland (now the Commonwealth) started a war a couple decades ago that eventually freed Albania and returned a core to me, so since the Commonwealth-Austria-Arabia alliance seems to be a hard Ottoman counter, I'm currently waiting for them to attack one of their neighbors so I can strike, taking bits of Ethiopia and working on Quantity ideas in the meantime.
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19548 on: August 22, 2017, 07:21:23 pm »

Somehow my Sunderer took damage from what might have been small arms fire, but in retrospect may have been a Liberator tail-mounted Walker. Either way, the slight damage was enough to fully disable my un-deployed Sunderer's shields. Said Liberator promptly teabagged my Sunderer with its Tank Buster/Dalton combo. Note: there's literally no way anyone on that Liberator could have seen, much less shoot, my Sunderer through the trees and hill in the way. Also, I've gone up against the pilot of that Liberator before, and I've had heavy suspicions that they're a prolific hacker.

They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

TheDarkStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19549 on: August 23, 2017, 12:05:27 am »

I decided to test something so I got out of my train. Then my train went around a loop and ran me over.

Don't die; it's bad for your health!

it happened it happened it happen im so hyped to actually get attacked now

Felissan

• Bay Watcher
  • Hopefully not killing this game too
    • View Profile
« Reply #19550 on: August 23, 2017, 03:50:39 am »

I decided to test something so I got out of my train. Then my train went around a loop and ran me over.

Power armor is almost like an implicit prerequisite to researching trains.
Quote from: xkcd
I always figured you should never bring a gun to a gun fight because then you'll be part of a gun fight.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #19551 on: August 23, 2017, 03:08:44 pm »

Somehow my Sunderer took damage from what might have been small arms fire, but in retrospect may have been a Liberator tail-mounted Walker. Either way, the slight damage was enough to fully disable my un-deployed Sunderer's shields. Said Liberator promptly teabagged my Sunderer with its Tank Buster/Dalton combo. Note: there's literally no way anyone on that Liberator could have seen, much less shoot, my Sunderer through the trees and hill in the way. Also, I've gone up against the pilot of that Liberator before, and I've had heavy suspicions that they're a prolific hacker.

Haha, join the uninstall club.  I uninstalled because they deleted my account with 60$ worth of currency/weapons (bought in a big sale, granted) after only a year of inactivity.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

TheDarkStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19552 on: August 24, 2017, 01:23:54 am »

I stopped playing Planetside 2, then went back with a new account a year later (since I forgot my old info) and ended up banned for no obvious reason within 24 hours. I think I'm done with it too.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2017, 10:59:29 am by TheDarkStar »
Don't die; it's bad for your health!

it happened it happened it happen im so hyped to actually get attacked now

MCreeper

• Bay Watcher
  • My bus is late
    • View Profile
« Reply #19553 on: August 30, 2017, 12:22:27 pm »

Made all-military character. Upgraded mostly "cunning" skill(damn you, Long live the Queen!). On test that determines is she really worthy to represent her country on Summit failed every damn one social skill check. GAME OVER, peasant!(It doesn't matters actually, since said test is end of demo version anyways, three weeks out of seven. Developer earlyer promised to fully release the game in early 2016. He's still working, and hope to release it  this year)

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19554 on: August 31, 2017, 06:06:13 pm »

Was attacking an enemy wanzer, but my gun was apparently ineffective. In an attempt to figure out how to change weapons, I somehow jumped out of my wanzer, where it physics-bounced into the back of my head, killing me.

They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.

Felissan

• Bay Watcher
  • Hopefully not killing this game too
    • View Profile
« Reply #19555 on: September 03, 2017, 10:42:53 am »

Playing Salmon Run on that one map with larges sections of grid floor. I get cornered by an eel in the far end of said zone, and get knocked into the water. When I respawn, a teammate gets me back up before I've had a chance to move away - and my respawn point was right over the edge. I get pushed into the water again, and before he does anything else, the same guy morphs into squid form and dies from falling through the platform. Then I get a quick status update on how the other 2 players are doing - you guessed it, the TPK screen.

Spoiler: Game (click to show/hide)
Quote from: xkcd
I always figured you should never bring a gun to a gun fight because then you'll be part of a gun fight.

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #19556 on: September 03, 2017, 12:18:34 pm »

Was testing out my railgun assisted cannon on a ship, it could even fire into space if need be with decent accuracy. Launched a few shots over the horizon, then watched the shell flying... Uuuuuuntil it went off and hit me main base, took out the fuel stockpile, and also killed the AI... Should not have made my resource platforms so frail and tiny.

« Last Edit: September 03, 2017, 12:20:05 pm by StagnantSoul »
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19557 on: September 03, 2017, 12:34:38 pm »

Successful mission, FUBAR execution of it though.
Mission was to steal back one of our fuel trucks that had been captured, because we needed the fuel(obviously). Before crossing a road that I knew was patrolled by multiple tanks. I ordered my team into stealth stance. One of my guys calls out a tank half a km away, followed by the *whoosh* of my AT guy firing his launcher at it. Apparently rockets are stealth weapons now! Somehow, that did not bring the entire tank platoon on us.

I get to the truck, discover its empty, and as the discussion with command over a new fuel truck to steal goes on, enemy reinforcements show up in lightly armored cars. Even after the enemy troops get out, my AT guy decides the best way to deal with them is to fire a rocket at one of the cars, while another member of the squad is standing next to it. Another of my squad gets killed in the shootout as well(bear in mind we were surrounded and outnumbered 3-to-1 - but they did disembark right next to us).

Finally get to the fuel truck we need, I'm badly shot up but saved by our medic, and have to make a decision on who to give the truck to, to get a different benefit for a later mission(you can get both if do what the truck was meant for one choice and then give it to the other). I drove the truck to one, but it counted it for the other(the choice barely matters anyway, one saves you time, the other bullets).

Was testing out my railgun assisted cannon on a ship, it could even fire into space if need be with decent accuracy. Launched a few shots over the horizon, then watched the shell flying... Uuuuuuntil it went off and hit me main base, took out the fuel stockpile, and also killed the AI... Should not have made my resource platforms so frail and tiny.

RULE ONE OF SHOOTING: ALWAYS CHECK YOUR LINE OF FIRE
:P

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #19558 on: September 03, 2017, 12:37:26 pm »

Successful mission, FUBAR execution of it though.
Mission was to steal back one of our fuel trucks that had been captured, because we needed the fuel(obviously). Before crossing a road that I knew was patrolled by multiple tanks. I ordered my team into stealth stance. One of my guys calls out a tank half a km away, followed by the *whoosh* of my AT guy firing his launcher at it. Apparently rockets are stealth weapons now! Somehow, that did not bring the entire tank platoon on us.

I get to the truck, discover its empty, and as the discussion with command over a new fuel truck to steal goes on, enemy reinforcements show up in lightly armored cars. Even after the enemy troops get out, my AT guy decides the best way to deal with them is to fire a rocket at one of the cars, while another member of the squad is standing next to it. Another of my squad gets killed in the shootout as well(bear in mind we were surrounded and outnumbered 3-to-1 - but they did disembark right next to us).

Finally get to the fuel truck we need, I'm badly shot up but saved by our medic, and have to make a decision on who to give the truck to, to get a different benefit for a later mission(you can get both if do what the truck was meant for one choice and then give it to the other). I drove the truck to one, but it counted it for the other(the choice barely matters anyway, one saves you time, the other bullets).

RULE ONE OF SHOOTING: ALWAYS CHECK YOUR LINE OF FIRE
:P

Should've just used common sense, was testing out the ships speed, then went to check if the ship could shoot backwards effectively...  :-X
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile
« Reply #19559 on: September 03, 2017, 02:09:12 pm »

Relevant.
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."
Pages: 1 ... 1302 1303 [1304] 1305 1306 ... 1570