Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1304 1305 [1306] 1307 1308 ... 1571

Author Topic: How did you last die?  (Read 2265525 times)

pikachu17

• Bay Watcher
  • PADORU PADORU
    • View Profile
Re: How did you last die?
« Reply #19575 on: September 07, 2017, 04:31:09 pm »

I haven't actually died, because I had to stop playing first, but my very first X-Com:UFO Defense mission is a terror mission. I... don't think many of my guys are going to come back, if at all.
Sigtext!
dwarf 4tress from scratch
The Pikachu revolution!
Thank you NatureGirl19999 for the avatar switcher at http://signavatar.com

A warforged bard named Gender appears and says"Hello. I am a social construct."

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
« Reply #19576 on: September 07, 2017, 04:42:29 pm »

I haven't actually died, because I had to stop playing first, but my very first X-Com:UFO Defense mission is a terror mission. I... don't think many of my guys are going to come back, if at all.

Your very first?

Well, you'll just have to check what species are present. Snake men are accompanied by Chryssaluds, Floaters are accompanied by Reapers, etc.

Keep your distance, stay in cover, and don't worry about civvies too much this time around. Just make sure not to shoot them.

Khan Boyzitbig

• Bay Watcher
  • [THOUGHTS:CHAOTIC] [ACTUALLY A SWAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19577 on: September 07, 2017, 04:46:44 pm »

Try and keep a guy in the skyranger otherwise a loss becomes very expensive.
////;::;\\\\ Scuttle Scuttle...

Milk for the Khorneflakes!

Luminous Bolt of Bacon
"Excuse me sir, You are on Fire."

pikachu17

• Bay Watcher
  • PADORU PADORU
    • View Profile
« Reply #19578 on: September 07, 2017, 04:50:01 pm »

How do I tell what the enemies are called?
Anyway, they seem to be a bunch of cthulhumanoid creatures, and some weird two-legged mech.
Oh, and four of my guys are dead. One died to reaction fire, one died when I made him walk into the fog-of-war and discovered the two-legged thing, one died to a cthulhumanoid bullet, and one other died while trying to fight the two-legged mech, because there was actually two mechs.
Sigtext!
The Pikachu revolution!

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19579 on: September 07, 2017, 04:53:19 pm »

I've had that happen too.  Probably too late, but keep in mind that landing at all is a lot better than blowing it off.  Even if you immediately abort.  If you can at least take down a couple of x-rays, all the better.
I don't think I've gotten snakemen first, that would be horrible.  Fingers crossed for floaters/reapers!

Fakedit:  You only learn their names by autopsying them.  Or using the mind-reader psi device later, I guess.
And uh...  that description kinda sounds like ethereals with sectopods, but that's impossible, you must have floaters and reapers.  The "mechs" were fleshy-orange dinos, right?
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19580 on: September 07, 2017, 04:55:14 pm »

You find out when you take the alien corpses back to base to research.

By the sounds of things those are Floaters and Reavers. I certainly hope that you can't get Ethereals that early in the game. The humanoid guys flew around and had a ball-thing for legs, right? If they did then they're definitely floaters.

EDIT: And if the two-legged guy bit/kicked/melee'd your guy to death then they are definitely a Reaver. And since terror units always show up with the same alien race (and visa-versa) the humanoid guys would have to be Floaters.

Khan Boyzitbig

• Bay Watcher
  • [THOUGHTS:CHAOTIC] [ACTUALLY A SWAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19581 on: September 07, 2017, 04:58:43 pm »

That sounds bad... Hopefully floaters and reapers. Otherwise recommend aborting asap if any psi attacks happen as thats really bad.
////;::;\\\\ Scuttle Scuttle...

Milk for the Khorneflakes!

Luminous Bolt of Bacon
"Excuse me sir, You are on Fire."

pikachu17

• Bay Watcher
  • PADORU PADORU
    • View Profile
« Reply #19582 on: September 07, 2017, 05:55:43 pm »

Sounds like reapers, but the humanoids had face tentacles, a cloak, and didn't seem to have a ball-thing for legs. They die pretty easily though, so whatever they are, they aren't something really bad.
Sigtext!
The Pikachu revolution!

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19583 on: September 07, 2017, 06:11:12 pm »

Yeah, they're definitely Floaters if they died that easily. The other alien's cloak is more like a robe that covers their entire body. Not sure where you're getting the face-tentacle things from though.

Nahere

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19584 on: September 07, 2017, 07:06:05 pm »

Not sure where you're getting the face-tentacle things from though.
Could be their facial horns?

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • technical difficulties
    • View Profile
« Reply #19585 on: September 07, 2017, 07:41:22 pm »

Sectoid terror missions might actually be worse than snakemen. You can get psi-ed and cyberdisks have really good armor against starting weapons. And they explode.
Insatiable consumption. Ceaseless motion. Unstoppable destruction.

TheDarkStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19586 on: September 07, 2017, 11:19:45 pm »

Sectoid terror missions might actually be worse than snakemen. You can get psi-ed and cyberdisks have really good armor against starting weapons. And they explode.

Yeah, my first mission with cyberdiscs I lost 11/12 soldiers in the first turn because I moved them all next to a cyberdisc that spawned next to the landing craft and didn't kill it until almost everyone had shot at it. My last soldier panicked/was psi-panicked, ran out of the ship, and didn't make it back before being killed.
Don't die; it's bad for your health!

it happened it happened it happen im so hyped to actually get attacked now

Mathel

• Bay Watcher
  • A weird guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19587 on: September 08, 2017, 12:55:45 am »

The first terror mission can basicaly be only floaters or sectoids. The aliens generally attempt 1 terror per month and snakemen, mutons and ethereals arrive later than that. The only terror that can be defeated without advanced weaponry or a lot of rocket launchers and rockets is floater/reaper, as cyberdiscs are IMMUNE to regular human rifles. (Not sure about heavier weaponry. Heavy cannon may be able to harm it.)
The shield beats the sword.
Urge to drink milk while eating steak wrapped with bacon rising...
Outer planes are not subject to any laws of physics that would prevent them from doing their job.
Better than the heavenly host eating your soul.

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19588 on: September 08, 2017, 01:10:30 am »

Cyberdiscs die really well under heavy cannon or better autocannon HE shells.  Incidentally, so do sectoids, floaters, and reapers.  And they aren't immune to rifle fire, they just take  a single point of damage, you can in fact bring them down under weight of fire, but if you are forced to use weight of fire against one, your mission is already going to be a near or full wipe.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2017, 01:12:09 am by NullForceOmega »
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

Mathel

• Bay Watcher
  • A weird guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19589 on: September 08, 2017, 01:33:11 am »

Ok, actual data on cyberdiscs and rifles.

Cyberdiscs have 34 armor all around. AP damage against it is multiplied by 0.8. Cyberdiscs have 130HP
Rifles have 30 AP listed damage.

Firearms deal between 0 and 200% their listed damage.

So, maximum damage from rifle is 60 AP.

Multiplied by cyberdisc's 0.8, it is 48 dmg.
Minus Cyberdisc's Armor, it is 14 dmg.
So, a full damage shot from rifle can do 14 damage on an undamaged cyberdisc. So they are not immune.
Also, any hit that deals damage also decreases the impacted armor, so further hits into the area deal more damage.

But still, In order to deal at leas 1 point of damage on an undamaged cyberdisc, the damage from the rifle has to be at least 44 AP (because 35/0.8=43.75) So even if you hit, you have only 1/4 chance to actually damage it at all.
The shield beats the sword.
Urge to drink milk while eating steak wrapped with bacon rising...
Outer planes are not subject to any laws of physics that would prevent them from doing their job.
Better than the heavenly host eating your soul.
Pages: 1 ... 1304 1305 [1306] 1307 1308 ... 1571