Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1357 1358 [1359] 1360 1361 ... 1571

Author Topic: How did you last die?  (Read 2266967 times)

Mathel

• Bay Watcher
  • A weird guy.
    • View Profile
Re: How did you last die?
« Reply #20370 on: June 23, 2018, 01:10:56 am »

Why are you trying to fly a humped mammal, you mad bastard?

Alternatively, why are you flying a cigar, you alien bastard?

Sopwith F.1 Camel, a british fighter airplane.
The shield beats the sword.
Urge to drink milk while eating steak wrapped with bacon rising...
Outer planes are not subject to any laws of physics that would prevent them from doing their job.
Better than the heavenly host eating your soul.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #20371 on: June 23, 2018, 04:46:01 am »

After finishing the last story mission I took the elevator down from the top of the Eiffeltower. I walked around in it while it took its sweet time and forgot it was missing a guard rail. I fell to my death.

The Saboteur

There's an achievement for jumping off the top into the tiny pool of water you see below.

Also god damn that game's climbing was janky... But I still have a fair few funny memories from the game. Most notably when I found out how to completely cheese the street racing side missions and ended up winning the final high-stakes race using an old stolen tractor.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20372 on: June 23, 2018, 07:39:09 am »

It wasn't supposed to be this way.

The Solar Brethren got a contract to hunt down some beasts that had been attacking a village at night. The difficulty was rated at two skulls; challenging, but most likely doable. The village didn't have much in the way of equipment or potential recruits, so the ten-man-strong band, slightly battered but in relatively good spirits, set off.

It happened in broad daylight, in the middle of an open field. With a ragged howl, a pack of eight direwolves rushed the Solar Brethren with bloodlust in their eyes. We barely had time to get into formation - four shieldbrothers in front, four polearms behind them, and a couple of archers on the flanks - before the first of the beasts were already in our faces. That direwolf was the first to die, a concerted effort by three brothers taking it down, but the others weren't far behind. The archers did what they could, aiming for the densest clusters but scoring little damage.

I suppose I should tell you about direwolves. They're fast; no man alive can keep up with one - or run away if he's being hunted. They use their claws and their fangs to attack, so quickly they can strike two blows in the time it takes a mere man to strike one. While they wear no armor, their matted hides and thick skins serve quite well at repelling an untrue blow.

Worst of all, however, is their pack mentality. Direwolves aren't like undead. They won't happily throw themselves into your shieldwall and get hacked to pieces. While a few of them will take the direct route to attack, try to distract you, the others will circle around and try to find a vulnerable place to begin the slaughter.

That's exactly what this bunch did. The spearbrothers did what they could to repel them, but before anyone could do more than blink we were completely surrounded, the archers trapped in melee and unable to fire. At the time I had cursed myself for a fool - why hadn't I given them hand weapons?! - but looking back I honestly don't think it would have made a bit of difference.

The northernmost shieldbrother died first. A good man with a cleaver as I recall, he had very nearly as many kills to his name as he had battles, and he was no slouch with his shield. It didn't help him. With two quick strikes, his opponent ripped his throat out and left him bleeding on the ground.

After that, it mostly becomes a blur. With one man dead, the rest of the direwolves were free to press their attack. Tighten the noose, as it were. Brother after brother fell screaming, the ones still on their feet too shaken to score any clean hits on the beasts tearing their comrades to shreds.

That was when Haspen the Cruel fell. Poor, brave Haspen. He was the last of the original Brethren, the man who had served me the longest. Brothers came and went, but Haspen seemed to be eternal. He stood firm against undead, he sneered in the faces of brigands as he killed them, he boasted of wanting to seek out and fight the greenskins. And then he had to get his guts ripped open by a goddamn pack of goddamn direwolves.

We broke. It was too much to handle, and it was far, far too late. We scattered in all directions, perhaps hoping that the beasts would be content with the very fine meal they had brought down already, but of course they weren't. Direwolves never seem to be satisfied. The last of the brothers were brought down, their struggles quickly ended. I myself only managed to escape by covering myself with blood and playing dead, and even then the damn beast nearest me took a chunk out of my leg. Eventually the wolves wandered off, perhaps lured by the scent of fresh prey elsewhere, and I made my way back to the village. Everything was gone. Everyone was gone. The Solar Brethren were no more.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20373 on: June 23, 2018, 09:02:01 am »

Damn, dude. I had never even looked twice at that game, but now I kinda want to pick it up at once. May the brothers rest in peace.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #20374 on: June 23, 2018, 11:38:21 am »

I attempted to grow sunny shine bugs and their food, mushrooms, symbiotically in the same room.  The only mushrooms in the game are dusk caps, which can only grow in complete darkness.

Sunny shine bugs... well, just guess from the name.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20375 on: June 23, 2018, 12:43:03 pm »

Damn, dude. I had never even looked twice at that game, but now I kinda want to pick it up at once. May the brothers rest in peace.

Do it. It's one of the few games I don't mind losing in. If you're a fan of turn based tactics in a light fantasy medieval setting then this is going to take up a lot of your gaming time. It's as good as if not better than Xcom when it comes to the narratives that get crafted for your dudes.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #20376 on: June 23, 2018, 12:48:17 pm »

I keep pondering getting that one. Something about the busts for characters just bugs me though. Well, maybe once I've gotten through some more of my backlog I'll think about picking it up. The narrative certainly sounds interesting!
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20377 on: June 23, 2018, 01:59:55 pm »

Something about the busts for characters just bugs me though.
Pretty sure that was my feeling as well. The premise sounded reasonably interesting, enough to get me somewhat excited, but the visuals were just so hideous that I fled screaming, taking SAN damage as I ran.

Now, though, it looks like I might have to try and get past that. Would those of you who've played it say it's worth $18USD? Seems a bit steep, but then I guess a proc-genned campaign sounds like it could have a lot of content.

Edit: uhhh I'm half asleep, I probably should have posted this in the game's thread rather than here. I don't know.

My most recent death was simply losing connection for the second time in a row (which of course equals instant death in this game) thanks to my garbage-tier internet, feeling terrible about it (it makes me look like one of those grieftacular suicide baby bastards) and deciding to give up on gaming for the time being and get some sleep instead.

« Last Edit: June 23, 2018, 02:06:23 pm by Yoink »
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #20378 on: June 23, 2018, 02:11:57 pm »

1.  Did you play mount and blade?  If no, play mount and blade instead.
2.  When you played mount and blade, did you enjoy managing the skills and equipment of your followers?  If yes, battle brothers is probably for you.  If no, I would avoid it.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20379 on: June 23, 2018, 02:25:43 pm »

Well, Mount and Blade is rather different from Battle Brothers. The world starts the same way every time, the vast majority of your followers are nameless faceless grunts, and you can't ever truly lose. All of your opponents are human, and they all run on the exact same AI.

BB might not involve large armies, but when each of your units are unique in terms of backgrounds, traits, and skills, each one feels more important. Any or all of them can die or be permanently maimed. The world is randomly generated each time. You can fight undead and greenskins, and every type of opponent has its own AI to follow. There are random events, which can have a number of different outcomes (some of which can be altered by who is in your party at the time).

M&B is great fun, but I think there are enough differences between it and BB that you can't make a simple 1-1 comparison of the two. They should be considered on their own merits.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #20380 on: June 24, 2018, 12:52:03 am »

Ran into three Unknown demons, which happens the first time you encounter something new.  Mabufu and Rampage proceeded to shred my team before I could even blink.  Definitely the same experience we've come to expect from the series; I rate this remake MegaTen out of ten.

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #20381 on: June 24, 2018, 12:57:52 am »

Decided to be cute and try to fight the pack of zombie bears that came by instead of just running... I'd say last time I'm making that mistake, but, this is the fifth time I've made it...

7 Days to Die.
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

Mathel

• Bay Watcher
  • A weird guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20382 on: June 24, 2018, 04:31:01 am »

Sent my best four on an infiltration mission against Osiron. Turns out leather coats do not stop bullets. Everyone died.

The X-COM Files
The shield beats the sword.
Urge to drink milk while eating steak wrapped with bacon rising...
Outer planes are not subject to any laws of physics that would prevent them from doing their job.
Better than the heavenly host eating your soul.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #20383 on: June 25, 2018, 06:40:32 am »

This is sort of a combined die/win, but I did considerably more dying than winning, so I'll post it here.

Started out as an ashlander, and tried tidying up the clanhome as much as possible and getting some basic materials to ensure our growth. Strangely, someone else apparently picked the role as well, and I had a fellow clanmember to tool around with (even if he mostly spent his time zooming out and about with a crate, collecting who-knows-what).

The clanhome spawned very close to the human mining base, and so we saw the miners going past fairly frequently. We'd just started out, and even with a full set of bone equipment after numerous hunts, the miners and their advanced equipment would always be terrifying... It was an uneasy period.

Jasuba, my clanmate, told me that he'd spoken with one of the miners, and that they were friendly and would provide us with the dead bodies we needed for our clan to grow, via the cycle of rebirth inherent to our clan's egg tendril. I wasn't particularly trusting of this smoothskin miner, but we were in no position to negotiate, so a tenuous peace was struck.

Indeed, the miner did give gifts to Jasuba, and he dutifully came back to the clanhome with them, and we grew stronger. But then, tragedy struck... While exploring, I found the entrance to the smoothskin mining base... And there, submerged in a lava pool outside with a trail of blood leading to it, was the charred corpse of Jasuba! Murder!

Another clanmate was there, and had managed to steal one of the smoothskin exosuits, which he was now hiding inside. Blood called for blood, and we would not allow the smoothskin invaders to callously slaughter one of our own.

After a very tense period of waiting, we discovered that nobody was in the base, and nobody was coming any time soon either. I went back to exploring the wastes, and eventually found the body of one of the miners, along with such treasures as his radio headset. Using this and the intercoms at the mining base, we expressed our outrage and demand for recompense to the smoothskins on the station above. They said that since we couldn't specifically identify the name of Jasuba's murderer, that there was nothing they could do about it. Understandably furious, we offically banned them from the planet, proclaiming a blockade of their shuttle.

Over their communications network, I overheard them organizing a death squad to take out "the liggers". So it'sss war, then.

What followed was an absolutely crazy and hectic battle where we fought tooth and claw with lava traps, primitive spears and the stolen exosuit in order to hold our ground, and although there were casualties, we inflicted grievous damage on our foes. The research director thought himself invincible in his high-tech Phazon exosuit, but through strength of numbers and iron will we managed to topple the metal beast and sacrifice the RD to our tendril (I attempted to perform a ritual sacrifice by cutting out his heart and throwing it, still-beating, into a bonfire, but... Apparently nothing we had was "saw-like" enough to complete the surgery procedure, so that whole event just kinda failed miserably). The loss of an expensive exosuit and one of their heads got the full attention of the station staff, and more skirmishes were had.

But then, the pale-faced one arrived... A mime, who had long since broken his vow of silence and had kitted himself out with an armored suit and helmet, came into the base from the shuttle. We started to attack, but he evaded our blows and called for a ceasefire, stating that he was an enemy to the station and wished to help us.

While we paused, waiting for him to continue, he whipped out a taser and struck two of us down, repeatedly stunning and stabbing us as we lay helpless on the floor. After our deaths he took a third brother captive, and started gloating about being hungry for some ligger stew. This brother suffered the worst fate of us all, and was brought onto the station to be made into one of their metal demons, a cyborg machine enslaved to them by unbreakable laws. This steel husk was later sent back down to the planet to negotiate with the few clanmembers still alive (there had been many, many cycles of rebirth as we died and our souls entered into new eggs, and even with all the bodies we managed to recover, the number of eggs was dwindling rapidly), but having our former brother paraded in front of us in a grotesque display of dominance wasn't exactly conducive to peaceful discourse, as one might say.

The pale-faced one returned, with another of the metal demons in tow, and took on two of our number yet again, nearly bringing us low. But in his final moments, my brave clanmate grabbed hold of the pale one and dragged him into a pool of lava, so that they both would burn.

I shouted to my brother that his noble sacrifice had been witnessed, and would not be forgotten, but the borg managed to get the better of me and retrieved the body, taking it back onto the shuttle for cloning. We'd snatched only a temporary victory, and at massive cost.

Picking apart the mining station for spearmaking supplies and scouring it and the ashlands for more bodies we could offer to the tendril and increase our flock, there was a tense lull in the fighting. Through the sacred creation device, we'd blocked off their shuttle's landing with a moat of lava, and were guarding the area. After a few attempted landings, the shuttle returned to the station and we saw nothing more from the smoothskins for some time.

Horribly outnumbered and with barely any resources left (many of our lanterns had been lost or destroyed, so I had to blindly make my way through the darkness between our clanhome and the mining base), we focused our efforts on regrouping. Maybe the smoothskins had given up. The AI had declared the planet as a major threat to human life, and was strongly discouraging anyone from trying to land on it. Perhaps, finally, we could have peace.

...but it was not to be. While I and my sole surviving clanmate tried desperately to feed the tendril and restore our egg supply, a brazen visitor strolled directly into the heart of our clanhome.  The pale-faced one. The mime.

He claimed that he'd come to parlay, that he was with us, not against us. He announced that he was a shapeshifter, a trickster who had stolen the form of the mime in order to deceive those aboard the station. His arm dissolved and reformed itself into a disgusting, fleshy shield as means of proof.

I was wounded after being caught in an ash storm (my fifth or so time that round...), and was weak, but I could see through his deception. This was still the pale one who had slaughtered and tortured so many of our kind, and who had tricked and betrayed us before with underhanded methods. I moved to attack, but my clanmate stopped me and said to hear him out. Had he forgotten the blood this monster had shed? The lives it had ended, and worse?

But I could not fight them both, so I held off. It did not take long for the pale-faced one to make his true colors known, however... He wanted to be worshiped as a god, and informed us that our lives were firmly within his gloved hands. That he could end us at any time he desired.

My clanmate asked if he also held the power to heal us, and requested that he heal my wounds. The mime agreed, and though I resisted, I was touched by his foul powers.

But the pale one had no intentions of healing... He reshaped my body into that of a smoothskin, a hideous copy of himself, and in the hostile environment of the ashlands my new form quickly began to choke. "SUFFOCATE!", he jeered, and with my last breaths I gave all my strength to fight back against this unholy abomination.

Somehow, impossibly, we managed to bring him down... He was already burned from the ash storm, and I had taken with me the relic of holy flame from our clan's treasury, so he was not at full strength. I doubt, also, that he had considered us much of a threat in any case, and was unprepared.

Regardless, he was finally laid low, and before he could reform himself his life essence was sacrificed to the sacred tendril, and torn apart.

My smoothskinned body collapsed, drowning in the air of my home planet, and I died in the arms of my clanmate as I begged him to deliver the body to the tendril, that the cycle could continue once again. He did, and so I hatched anew, and took the severed head of the great adversary, the pale-faced one, the oathbroken mime, and placed it on a pike in the center of our clanhome.  The war was over. We could rebuild.

Soon after, the smoothskins aboard the station announced a full evacuation, and boarded a shuttle to leave. As their ignition sequences were counting down, I spoke to them on their radio channel, declaring once and for all that this world, and the sacred ashlands of the necropolis, were forever the domain of our people and our heritage. With the death of the great adversary, and a heavy toll paid in blood by both sides, I declared the feud to be finished, and wished them safe journeys.

The AI, whose core had been carried onto the shuttle, returned a message of peace and wished our people good hunting, and then the shuttle departed.

We had won.

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20384 on: June 25, 2018, 06:58:57 am »

Bruh.

I haven't even opened Byond in years. I'm gonna have to remedy that. I've forgotten how legendary some of the stories that come from it can be.
Pages: 1 ... 1357 1358 [1359] 1360 1361 ... 1571