Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1365 1366 [1367] 1368 1369 ... 1571

Author Topic: How did you last die?  (Read 2262255 times)

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
Re: How did you last die?
« Reply #20490 on: July 17, 2018, 11:28:18 pm »

Not >MY< death, but it did result in fatalities

I loved my Metriacanthosaurus I had gotten and cured of disease as part of a quest. They even let me keep her after.  I named her Metty.  But a while later she suddenly seemed to have disappeared.  After a little bit of looking and forgetting I could just open my map to get an icon of the location of every dinosaur in the park I just assumed she had wandered into the thick forested area in the back of her enclosure and was hiding from the everpresent eye in the sky.

Turns out she did, in fact do that, but more on that later.  I ended up dealing with a sabotage at my power plant.  I guess the entertainment or security divisions felt it was necessary for the lulz.  And as I'm dealing with that issue, I get a dino threat warning as well.  Seems Metty got out.  I assumed whoever did the sabotage found some way to teleport her out of the enclosure.  Without power the Asset Containment unit could not immediately tranq the rampaging dino, I fixed the power problem so the ACU had power so they could finally go tranq her.  But Metty had already gotten one or two cloth wrapped human nuggets.   Lesson learned, don't piss off security or entertainment.  Matty is casually lifted in a helicoptor and placed back in her pen.  Crisis averted.

However I had to create that enclosure in a hurry, as I was not remotely prepared to take on a carnivore at that particular location when she was pretty much literally dropped into my lap for the quest. I didn't really do it carefully.  You can build fencing in forests, but it's hard to see the fence when yer doing that.  And it seems it was not sabotage, but I had instead left not one, but 3 Matty sized gaps in the fence back in the woods where I could not see, and she had just happened to discover them at the same time of the sabotage.  Almost immediately after being dropped back in her pen she was out again and nomming people, because apparently I can't build fences right.

I hear they are saving my story for "Jurrasic park 23: Dinosaurs vs Incompetence" I hear Ian Malcolm will be in it.

Jurassic World Evolution
« Last Edit: July 17, 2018, 11:29:57 pm by Greiger »
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20491 on: July 17, 2018, 11:37:59 pm »

Tried to hack microsoft.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #20492 on: July 18, 2018, 09:03:03 am »

Shot by a rhynoc.

Agent 9's bombs are surprisingly bad and difficult to use.  The blast radius is tiny to the point you almost have to throw the bomb so that it lands on its target, and it takes a long time to aim, during which you have to stand still and during which enemies can shoot back.

Spyro 3.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20493 on: July 18, 2018, 07:40:02 pm »

Saw that Father Grigori was surrounded by zombies. I would have gotten to him sooner but the crazy bastard ignited a wall of fire in the way. I launched a saw blade in his direction to clear the zombies.

"Terminated: Gordon Freeman.
Failure to protect mission critical assets."

They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #20494 on: July 19, 2018, 06:15:36 am »

Saw that Father Grigori was surrounded by zombies. I would have gotten to him sooner but the crazy bastard ignited a wall of fire in the way. I launched a saw blade in his direction to clear the zombies.

"Terminated: Gordon Freeman.
Failure to protect mission critical assets."

I never really understood that part. The guy's been on his own for who knows how long, not only surviving the zombie hordes (which were likely a lot worse just after the start of the infection), but also finding the time and safety to set up the most elaborate Rube Goldberg deathtrap maze across the city, and then suddenly you show up and... He decides to just stand still and get surrounded under perfectly avoidable circumstances.

Interestingly, his gun, Annabel, apparently fires slugs. The gun uses shotgun shells, but there's no spread of shot. It also looks like a repeating rifle of some form, but can only hold two shells before needing to be reloaded.

Don't suppose you ever caught the old webcomic, Concerned? I remember quite enjoying it when I was about 15-16 years old, so it's probably absolutely terrible. It follows the adventures of someone who isn't Gordon Freeman as they attempt to take the same path that the actual protagonist took.

Notably, this includes not having the gravity gun. There's a place later on in the story with another of HL2's "puzzles", where you're supposed to use the G-gun to solve it and allow for further progression. The webcomic's Mr. Frohman, without such advanced tools, needs to take a slightly more... primitive approach.

When I got to that point again during another playthrough, I decided to try and use the alternative solution from the comic. Much to my surprise, it... Actually worked.

And that pretty much cemented Concerned in my head for the rest of time, without any of the actual content.

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #20495 on: July 19, 2018, 06:28:10 am »

You need to remember that Father Grigori is batshit insane.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
« Reply #20496 on: July 19, 2018, 06:36:14 am »

Lemme just say that I, for one, would not really trust a man who refers to headcrab zombies as his "flock", and the only reason I trusted him is that he still does seem to recognize them as dangerous former humans interested in killing him.

Also, I have to wonder if he ever dealt with the black headcrabs (the deadly neurotoxin ones that can't actually kill you on their own).

Khan Boyzitbig

• Bay Watcher
  • [THOUGHTS:CHAOTIC] [ACTUALLY A SWAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #20497 on: July 19, 2018, 07:05:24 am »

The Annabel isn't a shotgun. Its model looks like a Winchester and if you spawn him in in Garry's mod and kill him the weapon gives you .357 rounds. It holds a lot more than two rounds (it might be plot related if he only fires two then reloads).
////;::;\\\\ Scuttle Scuttle...

Milk for the Khorneflakes!

Luminous Bolt of Bacon
"Excuse me sir, You are on Fire."

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20498 on: July 19, 2018, 10:09:42 am »

He isn't saying the zombies are his flock. The people that the zombies used to be were his flock.

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20499 on: July 19, 2018, 05:22:46 pm »

Intentionally fell down a pit twice so i could pop back into the breach and check out what this, I think it was sludge-bear? was all about.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #20500 on: July 19, 2018, 05:47:54 pm »

SS13 again. Went mining. Rocky (hah) start with a goliath lag-tickling me behind an ore crate. Then the actual mining was dry as bones and took ages to find diamonds/bluespace crystals. Then the mining shuttle blew up because apparently you're not supposed to transport abandoned crates, even after they've been "defused". Then I got caught in an ash storm, and a goliath knocked down the wall of the shelter I put up.

But then things started turning around... Loads of gold, lots of plasma, more diamonds and bluespace, even took out a watcher tendril and got the Memento Mori from it! Good times! A little later, someone got appendicitis so I needed to head back to the station.

Then I fell down the pit I made earlier.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #20501 on: July 20, 2018, 02:08:04 am »

Didn't die, but almost had a heart attack.  Was in the Prawn Suit, and I got a little carried away...
Spoiler: actual spoiler (click to show/hide)
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #20502 on: July 20, 2018, 11:54:09 am »

Skyrim characters have sprites?
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #20503 on: July 20, 2018, 01:59:50 pm »

Starting the station off with the boniest of skeleton crews, I was quickly contacted by one of my two other crewmates and asked if I wanted to sign a contract. I said sure, and bargained for infinite wealth.

So began the strong-handed transformation of Ian Judge, Atmospheric Technician, into Ian Judge, Atmos Pimp.

After spitting up my first several solid bars of pure diamond, it became clear that a change of wardrobe was necessary. Spiffing myself up with a much more appropriate set of duds, including a spiffy cane and purple fluffy cape, I went about enriching the station through the powers of the immortal Pimp Hand. The dosh that fell out of my pocket was the sole source of income for our station, and after a couple hours we had over 40,000 credits just from me throwing paper money at the banking computer.

Sadly, I couldn't find quite so solid a use for the precious coins I kept spitting out every few seconds... Couldn't convert them into credits via the machine, couldn't sell them to centcomm... Yeah. So eventually I just said "fuck it" and set about stuffing them into the slot machines and playing until I got all the jackpots. Then playing some more to see if anything else would happen. Then refunding the coins back out of the machine and stuffing them into bags for safe-keeping.

By the end of the round I had somewhere around 12-13 money bags all packed to the brim with silver, gold and diamond coins. I'd also bought out all the premium cigars from the vending machines, redecorated the escape lobby in gold, silver and diamond tiles along with appropriate precious statues (also swapped out a few of the walls for solid diamond).

However, I'd set up the supermatter at roundstart with a filter piping oxygen into a canister to harvest gas instead of just venting it. This of course would eventually need to be changed out so as to keep the pipes clear. The latejoining chief engineer apparently didn't understand this concept, so when the SM first started delaminating he didn't understand what was going on. The perfectly reasonable flames were quite shocking and horrifying to him, so even as I was shedding my pimp clothes for a radiation suit to fix the problem he ushered us out and said "just run".

What happened afterwards was... Odd. Very, very odd. The supermatter delaminated very quickly (about 10-15% per tick) down to about 40%, at which point... It shot back up to full health again and started delaminating once more.

Curious, I decided to go check out what was happening and made my way back towards the engineering wing. As soon as I stepped into the hallway leading to engineereing however, my hair LEAPT off of my head, my skin immediately started crisping and the medibot following me spontaneously combusted from the colossal waves of radiation crashing over us. Nowhere near the nearest radsuit, I said "fuck naw" and ran away to make sure the emergency shuttle was properly called and on its way.

The supermatter delaminated again, and again around 40-30% integrity it suddenly shot right back up to full. At this point I was in medbay, and my contracting agent asked to be loaded up with pentetic acid, as they'd done for me moments before. Apparently, despite having been a plasmaman originally (although they did have their lungs replaced by me, so they could safely breathe oxygen), the shift into devilhood removed their radiation protection.

So I pumped them full, and hoped that the 70+units of pentetic in both my system and theirs would slowly bring down the 3000% or so radiation level I'd scanned myself as having.

And then we both suddenly dropped dead. No warning, just *poof*, fall down and die. I checked my body as a ghost, and discovered that my rads level was now being displayed using scientific notation, which is always a good sign. Roundabouts 4,000,000 rads. Same for my sadly-now-rad-vulnerable friend. Somehow a new, hysterically-powerful radpulse had hit us all the way down in medbay.

Being a devil, they managed to pick themselves back up and eventually make it onto the luxury shuttle to safety. I, however, would remain a brightly glowing corpse aboard the station, with my hoard of moneybags (which I'd brought to escape to dole out, since we'd bought the luxury shuttle) in maintenance, my stack of 50 diamond sheets in my hat, and my 30k or so in pocket money sitting in my wallet. I died just a few moments before the round ended, but my contribution to the station was noted by all (I'd like to imagine).

It ain't easy, but it's necessary.

As an aside, I have no clue what was happening to the supermatter. By the end there (our CE had decided to try and cool it off again, this time by deconstructing some of the tiles inside the chamber to space, causing a vacuum. Apparently he wasn't aware that the supermatter delaminates when in a vacuum. Also without proper precautions against either the intensely hot gases in the chamber or the massive amount of radiation, so he died fairly quickly), the crystal was putting out somewhere around 4.5 Gigawatts of electricity, while also hosing down the entire station in enough toasty radiation to fry your eggs before they're even laid.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20504 on: July 20, 2018, 04:36:43 pm »

Friggin' ice levels. The ice not only makes movement nearly impossible, knockbacks from fighting enemies makes movement entirely impossible. While Hero and Little Hero were busy pinballing around the entire stage(despite Little Hero being set to automatically guard the Witch) being bounced around by various species of deer and raccoon, some Ice Girls showed up and started shooting iceballs at the Witch - normally not a problem since Little Hero can block those for extra MP to hand off to the Witch, and Hero can just tank them, except now they just had a clear shot at the Witch. Also the swarm of animals eventually reached the Witch while the other two were unconscious.

They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.
Pages: 1 ... 1365 1366 [1367] 1368 1369 ... 1571