Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1415 1416 [1417] 1418 1419 ... 1571

Author Topic: How did you last die?  (Read 2262105 times)

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
Re: How did you last die?
« Reply #21240 on: March 18, 2019, 04:04:12 am »

Rolan7: StS is Slay the Spire, a deckbuilder/roguelike game. It can be pretty fun, but I'd recommend watching a video or something to see if it's the kind of thing you like.
SerCon Shorts: This Is How You Do It - Twenty-three one minute or less videos of random stupidity in AC:U, Bloodborne, DS2:SotFS, Salt & Sanctuary, and The Witcher 3.

Mathel

• Bay Watcher
  • A weird guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21241 on: March 18, 2019, 10:08:16 am »

Thought I could handle a tower. I heard some biomancers while searching the outside. I walk in, the only way forward is through a down-hatch. I go down, into a 2*6 room full of about 50 Plaguebearers. First they spend about 9 pages of chatlog spitting their plague breath (or whatever the proper name of the breath attack is), at each other and themselves, then they attack me. I stayed standing for 2actions (which were katana slashes). Then they charged at me and knocked me over.

After another 3 slashes, they caused enough pain to knock me unconscious.

Then they spent who knows how long beating me to death.

Fresh adventurers should really not go into towers. I decapitated 5 of them, but was killed as well.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
The shield beats the sword.
Urge to drink milk while eating steak wrapped with bacon rising...
Outer planes are not subject to any laws of physics that would prevent them from doing their job.
Better than the heavenly host eating your soul.

xaritscin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21242 on: March 18, 2019, 12:40:52 pm »

commited suicide because i was being chased by a horde of zombies while also trying to escape by swimming in a lake (to no avail)

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21243 on: March 18, 2019, 08:27:37 pm »

Glitches. Glitches everywhere. Glitches throwing me off the stage to my death. The don't think the game has aged well.

They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #21244 on: March 19, 2019, 07:45:28 am »

Every once in a while, shattered retreat seems to shit the bed and the army with no morale runs to the same province that they fought in - only to all surrender and be lost in their entirety.  Thats really expensive.

EUiv
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21245 on: March 19, 2019, 08:01:25 am »

Got stabbed in the face by an army of dudes riding giant hawks.

AlStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21246 on: March 19, 2019, 09:24:38 am »

Run down like a dog... by my own train; a far more fearsome foe than the biters.

Factorio.

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #21247 on: March 19, 2019, 11:58:22 am »

Glitches. Glitches everywhere. Glitches throwing me off the stage to my death. The don't think the game has aged well.

resists urge to write a wall of text about own feelings

It pretty much boils down to a specific kind of nostalgia. Sonic Adventure (and to a lesser extent SA2) are exemplars of the "innocent" 90's, where everything was brightly-colored and RADICAL regardless of whether or not it actually worked. In addition, both SA games' sountracks are full of wall-to-wall bangers.

Also, believe it or not, SA1 has the best plot and gameplay of any 3D Sonic I've ever played.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #21248 on: March 19, 2019, 12:13:46 pm »

Insta-gibbed by a Genestealer Hybrid Psyker. Can't even see the fuckers but they can sure see you.

Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21249 on: March 19, 2019, 02:53:42 pm »

Fighting the gold dragon.  You know the mission where you have to rip a dragon's dress off and then pound her until she's no longer horny?  That one.

She's breathing fire and melting the floor I already took a big hit and was low hp and didn't have time to dodge.   That's normally an unblockable attack but as I built to be able to tank behemoth, I have the armor set that makes unblockable attacks blockable.  I'm sitting there in block lock since the attack hits many times so I'm constantly in block animation, when one of those stupid gold cats runs up behind me.  I can only block from in front of me.  The cat gives me just enough time to panic in my head before it hits me, launching me further in the fire, guard broken.   The cat did just enough damage to make sure the fire killed me too.

Monster Hunter World
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #21250 on: March 19, 2019, 03:50:02 pm »

resists urge to write a wall of text about own feelings

It pretty much boils down to a specific kind of nostalgia. Sonic Adventure (and to a lesser extent SA2) are exemplars of the "innocent" 90's, where everything was brightly-colored and RADICAL regardless of whether or not it actually worked. In addition, both SA games' sountracks are full of wall-to-wall bangers.

Also, believe it or not, SA1 has the best plot and gameplay of any 3D Sonic I've ever played.

It's also the least glitchy!  Well, actually, Sonic Adventure 2 is probably similar levels of glitchy, but it's all down hill from there.

It's funny because I had an eye opening moment about this game about 7 or 8 years ago.  I had serious nostalgia for it, but when I went back to play it again I was shocked at how bad it was overall.  Everything from the plot to presentation to gameplay was much worse than I remembered.

When I was a kid I used to get annoyed when people said that Sonic didn't work in 3D, but I'm seriously starting to see what they meant.  Going fast just worked so much better in the 2D games.  To be fair, 3D level design is just harder than 2D level design, but it doesn't change the fact that the 3D games feel like you're always just a second away from death if you're going max speed because you could careen off a cliff or fall through the floor.  I suspect that the 3D games also actually go faster than the 2D games, but that's kind of its own problem.  Sonic is supposed to be fast, not uncontrollable.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Are you a duelist?
    • View Profile
« Reply #21251 on: March 19, 2019, 04:28:30 pm »

Eh. Past the first areas of each game the 2D sonic games aren't well designed for going fast either. Because you can only see one screen at a time and you can move so fast, if you rush you'll probably run into spikes. Or just run into a wall which instantly deletes all of your momentum.

...Yeah, I don't care much for the level design or platforming physics of any of the sonic games. You're never really fully in control at any time.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21252 on: March 19, 2019, 05:10:02 pm »

Decided to check out the Ranch Ruins with my horse... And ran straight into two Guardians and a random Blue Bokoblin horseman. Broke two shields trying to deflect the lasers. Probably because I had decent armor(8+8, and +4 from a Diamond Circlet that gives resistance to Guardian attacks), as well as both shields having pretty good rating, instead of insta-gibbing me on impact, the lasers instead got deflected elsewhere as the shield was destroyed. One of them bounced off and vaporized the Bokoblin horseman.

Then, as the second Guardian was still exploding, I get run down by a Silver Bokoblin archer on horseback. I manage to shoot its horse from under it, but have to be revived twice via fairy in the process. A difficult fight ensues, but once the Bokoblin was on the ground, it didn't really have a chance.

After looking around in case the game decided to drop another boss-level threat on me, I come to a horrible realization: my shields were broken deflecting two Guardian lasers. One hit the Blue Bokoblin on a horse. The other? ...My horse wasn't on the minimap anymore. And I had just learned that you can feed horses apples directly from your hand too. :'(

They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #21253 on: March 19, 2019, 09:29:43 pm »

Eh. Past the first areas of each game the 2D sonic games aren't well designed for going fast either. Because you can only see one screen at a time and you can move so fast, if you rush you'll probably run into spikes. Or just run into a wall which instantly deletes all of your momentum.

...Yeah, I don't care much for the level design or platforming physics of any of the sonic games. You're never really fully in control at any time.
I think it really comes down to control.  The gamecube F-Zero (the one captain falcon is from) has a mechanic where your health and your boost meter are the same thing, so you have to directly choose between fast or safe (in a racing game mind you).  At the more challenging races it really would feel terrifyingly fast and almost out of control, but since you were always *choosing* to go fast it felt fair.  And you had multiple forms of feedback as to what the course ahead of you would look like.

That's the mind boggling thing about the 3D sonic games, is that they're designed to obscure the path ahead of you as much as possible.  To imitate the 2D games I imagine.  When I think back to Sonic Adventure 2 and Sonic Heroes the best scenes I remember were the rail grinding parts and the boss battles were you were running on an infinite road.  Sure you were just following a scripted path in front of you... but you could SEE that path.  The worst bits as I remember them was when you had to navigate a difficult paths while the camera was reversed to show something chasing you.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

ggamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Reach Heaven through Violence
    • View Profile
« Reply #21254 on: March 19, 2019, 10:05:22 pm »

The verdict is in! Four missions, six dead hands, a hefty loan from the future bank, and all the air explosively leaving my lungs in exasperation later, and i've learned this game isn't meant for mobile >:(

Pages: 1 ... 1415 1416 [1417] 1418 1419 ... 1571