Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1422 1423 [1424] 1425 1426 ... 1570

Author Topic: How did you last die?  (Read 2244522 times)

scourge728

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How did you last die?
« Reply #21345 on: April 06, 2019, 12:39:39 pm »

Don't forget the sapient glowing one in new vegas at the rocket place

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #21346 on: April 06, 2019, 03:52:08 pm »

New character, Survival mode. After one or two false starts, I slowly and meticulously clear the Museum of Freedom, sneaking around and ensuring that I take no damage whatsoever. After collecting every bit of scrap and at least one of each weapon, I get the Power Armor to go fight the Deathclaw.

I have full health and it still splatters me in one hit, sending me back to the Museum of Freedom entrance where I first turned on Survival.

Fallout 4.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #21347 on: April 08, 2019, 08:12:02 am »

Fell in so many holes and touched so many spikes I don't recall the exact moment I last died.

Mega Man 6.

In truth, Mega Man 6 is pretty easy compared to the games that came before it and I didn't die that many times in it.  It felt more like a modern Mega Man game in that sense.  It's still very challenging but at least mostly fair about it.  The challenges in the legacy collection immediately reminded me of how unfair the first one could be at times.  Screw Gutsman's stage and the flipping platforms.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21348 on: April 08, 2019, 08:55:44 am »

Fell in so many holes and touched so many spikes I don't recall the exact moment I last died.

Mega Man 6.

In truth, Mega Man 6 is pretty easy compared to the games that came before it and I didn't die that many times in it.  It felt more like a modern Mega Man game in that sense.  It's still very challenging but at least mostly fair about it.  The challenges in the legacy collection immediately reminded me of how unfair the first one could be at times.  Screw Gutsman's stage and the flipping platforms.

I'm remembering the underwater stage in Megaman 2. And the disappearing/reappearing platform puzzle over lava (and later over nothing as a big dragon chased you).

On topic: Heat Signature: Grabbed a character with Heir positive trait and a "harm no one" negative trait because the other 2 traits didn't look so bad. Got knocked out, one of the "didn't look so bad" positive traits was "drop a grenade when you go down." Violated my vow after about 20 seconds of play time.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21349 on: April 08, 2019, 11:17:26 am »

I'm remembering the underwater stage in Megaman 2. And the disappearing/reappearing platform puzzle over lava (and later over nothing as a big dragon chased you).

And don't forget the Yellow Devil from MM1.  I find it funny and appropriate that every guide tells you to use the pause glitch to kill it, because anything less is misery.

And I want to know who came up with the disappearing block puzzle, and why Capcom is fascinated with putting it in every Mega Man game they can.  At least you can skip many of them in later games with the Rush Jet...

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #21350 on: April 08, 2019, 11:52:33 am »

Lots of Japanese games expect the player to replay them repeatedly.  Thus either repeating content, new game+ kind of deals, or levels that are designed to kill you several times before you beat them.

I haven't played Megaman but my understanding is if you do everything on the first try its a pretty short game, so probably that last one.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21351 on: April 08, 2019, 12:10:59 pm »

I think it's just the era the games were made in, where a lot of arcade game design decisions were commonly applied to console games.  Things like limited lives and excessive difficulty to eat up those lives so you'd put more quarters in the machine.  Or, yeah, to pad the game out or "challenge" the player.  I think you can beat all of the NES era Mega Man games in about 30 minutes each if you don't die or screw anything up.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21352 on: April 08, 2019, 12:18:02 pm »

I remember seeing a Megaman arcade game that also had a timer. You needed a new quarter every X minutes. Or you needed to tell the cabinet to go fuck itself, whichever.

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #21353 on: April 08, 2019, 01:08:10 pm »

I've never been a fan of lives systems. It just seems unnecessary in the majority of games nowadays, which are made to be beaten without 100% mastering them, as you had to in ye olde arcade games. This is especially true in modern Nintendo platformers, which are not only rather easy (IMO) but actively help struggling players; why even bother with lives at that point, except as an arbitrary throwback?

Dogmeat was hindering rather than helping my conquest of Lexington, so I sent him away to Red Rocket Truck Stop before my next attempt.

I'm lining up a laser musket shot when the raiders suddenly turn hostile and I hear familiar barking and whining. Dogmeat had decided that the best way to get to Red Rocket was to go STRAIGHT THROUGH THE CENTER OF LEXINGTON. Of course, with the raiders hostile, alert and wandering around, stealth was out the window. I tried to throw a grenade at a machine gun turret, only for it to instantly spin and ventilate me; I hadn't re-equipped grenades since the last time I reloaded.

Fallout 4.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

MCreeper

• Bay Watcher
  • My bus is late
    • View Profile
« Reply #21354 on: April 09, 2019, 11:16:09 am »

Two melee girls punch out werewolf infestation outside the ship, everyone else sits inside and does nothing. Lokknarr with laspistol gets bored out of her mind and shots the engine. Engine explodes, another engine explodes too, everyone is dead.  :o Reloaded.  :P

X-piratez

I have made an important discovery - junkmaster power armor can't hold armored car's machine gun.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2019, 12:20:47 pm by MCreeper »

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21355 on: April 10, 2019, 10:21:55 pm »

I've never been a fan of lives systems. It just seems unnecessary in the majority of games nowadays, which are made to be beaten without 100% mastering them, as you had to in ye olde arcade games. This is especially true in modern Nintendo platformers, which are not only rather easy (IMO) but actively help struggling players; why even bother with lives at that point, except as an arbitrary throwback?

Dogmeat was hindering rather than helping my conquest of Lexington, so I sent him away to Red Rocket Truck Stop before my next attempt.

I'm lining up a laser musket shot when the raiders suddenly turn hostile and I hear familiar barking and whining. Dogmeat had decided that the best way to get to Red Rocket was to go STRAIGHT THROUGH THE CENTER OF LEXINGTON. Of course, with the raiders hostile, alert and wandering around, stealth was out the window. I tried to throw a grenade at a machine gun turret, only for it to instantly spin and ventilate me; I hadn't re-equipped grenades since the last time I reloaded.

Fallout 4.
Lives systems are pretty much dead at this point.  Nintendo still releases them in their old games for nostalgia, and I think the newer mario platformers so that the iconic 1-up mushroom still has a reason to exist.  But for the longest time in Nintendo platformers its been really easy to farm extra lives and losing all of them just costs you your checkpoint in a 3-5 minute level.

The irony is that for many modern devs extra lives systems are too forgiving.  If you're designing a game (like Dark Souls) where dying is supposed to have impact, why arbitarily make it have no impact x number of times?  Either dying always hurts or it always doesn't.

For my death, my team was near the end of a mining mission in glacial strata.  It was the first hazard 4 mission I'd played multiplayer.  Then the swarm came, but it was a themed swarm.  Specifically, one gryphid dreadnought (not possible on lower difficulties).  We spent like 5 minutes trying to kill it and heroically reviving each other, but in the end we ran low on ammo and an ice storm made us easy pickings.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #21356 on: April 10, 2019, 11:54:37 pm »

Torn apart tanking the Fleshpound King for my team. The shit ass Medic had the assault rifle which, instead of insta-homing healing darts with unlimited ammo that you can fire tons of to easily heal a player....has 15 healing smoke grenades and higher bullet damage. As I'm getting the ever loving shit beat out of me and on the verge of death, he belatedly fires the whole payload in a wide area, which I promptly get punched out of, and die. The fight ends seconds later. This was the only healing I received the entire game.

God I hate that gun. It gives terrible medics who would rather shoot bullets than heal teammates an excuse that they're "healers", even though those grenades are virtually useless in most situations when someone is taking serious damage and/or the fight is moving. Nothing triggers me harder than shitty players playing dedicated healing classes and NOT HEALING.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21357 on: April 11, 2019, 01:36:50 am »

If that's the gun I'm thinking of, my brother would play... commando, I think?  And fire the healing mist grenades.  Its not just a medic perk gun.  So really having a medic do that is redundant considering a ranged DPS class can do it.

MCreeper

• Bay Watcher
  • My bus is late
    • View Profile
« Reply #21358 on: April 11, 2019, 07:59:28 am »

snip
Not sure if it is better or worse than shotguns being class weapon for medics on Warface (yeah, mail.ru, yeah, p2w, but it was somewhat playable at some point). In pvp it's, of course, works just fine, because maps are small and respawn times are short. In pve, though, "medic" who would never ever heal\res you no matter what and instead rushes forward shooting his fucking shotgun at enemies and\then (depending on his madskillz and difficulty level) bomb chat with clusterfuck bombs was distressingly common sight.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #21359 on: April 11, 2019, 01:43:08 pm »

If that's the gun I'm thinking of, my brother would play... commando, I think?  And fire the healing mist grenades.  Its not just a medic perk gun.  So really having a medic do that is redundant considering a ranged DPS class can do it.

Medics are sub-part damage dealers across the board, even with the damage dealing perks instead of the healing perks. It's like, if you're going to do that, why not play any other class than shoot shit as a medic.

I should have known better though. The one lesson I need to remember as Berzerker is: never rely on other people healing you. It's true when you have no medic, and it should be equally true even if you have one.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti
Pages: 1 ... 1422 1423 [1424] 1425 1426 ... 1570