Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1425 1426 [1427] 1428 1429 ... 1570

Author Topic: How did you last die?  (Read 2243902 times)

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
Re: How did you last die?
« Reply #21390 on: April 20, 2019, 10:00:43 pm »

I didn't die per se, but lost quite a lot in the rematch against the polar bear in Banjo-Kazooie.  The rubber band physics here are really, really annoying.  After about 10 tries the only way I could figure out how to beat him was to intentionally do bad near the end so that he'd slow down, and then race past him to the finish line.  If you're doing too well at that point, he'll rubber band physics past you by accelerating uphill with no source of propulsion and it's impossible to win.

I didn't feel accomplishment so much as relief when I was done, which came after muting the game because I got sick of hearing him talk, taunt and insult me as he cheated to win.

Kind of reminded me of boxing the yeti in Spyro 3.  Just a little.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #21391 on: April 20, 2019, 10:06:40 pm »

Rubber banding is the most annoying form of artificial difficulty imo, barely beating out level scaling. It's like damn dude, in Mario Kart for the SNES if you were good at the game you could lap the computer racers (usually never further than the 7th place guy, but still). Nowadays if you're good at the game instead of just letting you have your victory they give the computer blatantly unfair advantages just to make it 'feel competitive'. :/
SerCon Shorts: This Is How You Do It - Twenty-three one minute or less videos of random stupidity in AC:U, Bloodborne, DS2:SotFS, Salt & Sanctuary, and The Witcher 3.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21392 on: April 21, 2019, 10:09:57 am »

Pretty sure the slot reel for the handicap is a lie, and the game is picking specific handicaps just to screw me over. Twice in a row I've gotten No Accessory, No Summon Materia, No Magic Materia, No Items, and Inflict Frog status, pretty much in that order. The second time also gave me 0 MP. Both times also had a last enemy that inflicts Poison(Cloud has a Fairy Ring, which blocks Poison and Darkness, but the No Accessory handicap removes that), and you cannot use Limit attacks in Frog form.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #21393 on: April 21, 2019, 11:18:19 am »

Mario Kart for the SNES if you were good at the game you could lap the computer racers (usually never further than the 7th place guy, but still)

I lapped up to fourth on Bowser’s Castle 1 in the Mushroom Cup one time, through hitting all the boosters on the map and probably getting a few lucky items.

Many, many moons ago.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #21394 on: April 21, 2019, 11:49:40 am »

I try to take the water purifier place thingybob for Graygarden. It will be my first encounter with Super Mutants, besides getting picked off in the wilderness by random Legendary Skirmishers.

I snipe a Suicider; nice. Then Preston declares "I'm in the mood for some venison!" (not joking, he literally said that) and chases a radstag in the exact opposite direction of all the angry Super Mutants that I could really use his help against. A mutant hound jumps out of the brush and I'm dead before I can even enter VATS.

Whatever his companion perk is, it can't be worth all the trouble his useless AI is causing me. I might end up travelling with Buzz Lightyear and Robocop for most of the game anyway, just because everybody else I've given a chance is worthless.

Fallout 4.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #21395 on: April 22, 2019, 02:28:18 pm »

Ran into a suprisingly nasty aetherial boss mob while my aether res was practically zero. Fucker outleveled my by about 6 too, tried to run and kite and cc him but nothing helped. Ripped at lvl 54. Third time's the charm I guess?
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21396 on: April 22, 2019, 03:09:29 pm »

Goddamned annoying mission chain involving protecting a boat with a pile of guns, then getting caught in the middle a massive street battle(fought using the guns I just helped deliver) where everyone wants me dead, then rushing back to the boat which somehow got on the other side of the lake - a distance greater than the first trip but in less time - to save the boat's pilot a second time. I was fairly poorly equipped: a sniper rifle, a pistol(I usually use a MAC-10 though), and a mortar I haven't quite learned how use yet. While trying to climb up out of the water, something near me exploded, killing me instantly.

They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #21397 on: April 22, 2019, 09:08:48 pm »

Some big mofo with a club smacked my shit in because I'm not coordinated enough today to jump

Hollow Knight
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21398 on: April 22, 2019, 09:55:36 pm »

Made a missileboat forgot to put a friendly fire module on the missile launchers.  20 highly dangerous quite large HE missiles were launched and almost immediately pulled a U-Turn and hit the boat so hard the broken shell got air time.

From the depths
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21399 on: April 23, 2019, 08:47:38 am »

Killed by a weird underwater tentacle root while trying to pick up musical notes.

Banjo-Kazooie again.

Dying in this game really sucks if you've collected a lot of notes in a level or triggered switches / opened doors.  Got to do it all over again!

Mathel

• Bay Watcher
  • A weird guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21400 on: April 23, 2019, 09:13:04 am »

Killed by a cat biting my groin. This was caused by a siren continually putting me to sleep so I could not defend myself.

IVAN
The shield beats the sword.
Urge to drink milk while eating steak wrapped with bacon rising...
Outer planes are not subject to any laws of physics that would prevent them from doing their job.
Better than the heavenly host eating your soul.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #21401 on: April 23, 2019, 11:34:13 am »

Killed by a weird underwater tentacle root while trying to pick up musical notes.

Banjo-Kazooie again.

Dying in this game really sucks if you've collected a lot of notes in a level or triggered switches / opened doors.  Got to do it all over again!
This is why Banjo Tooie is way better
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21402 on: April 23, 2019, 12:46:55 pm »

What does it change?  Less random collectables for the sake of collecting?  After playing the first I am hoping to get the sequel at some point, since despite its flaws it's a pretty fun game.

Gunner-Chan

• Bay Watcher
  • << IT'S TIME >>
    • View Profile
« Reply #21403 on: April 23, 2019, 01:01:03 pm »

The notes stay collected in tooie, though I'm not really sure if that's actually better or worse since they're also laid out more like collectables in a lot of cases in tooie, and that makes it a pain in the fucking ass if you don't do it all at once or quickly after doing it partially.
Diamonds are combustable, because they are made of Carbon.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #21404 on: April 23, 2019, 02:26:53 pm »

So in this game you have to collect every crystal then reach the exit.
But what if you miss the somewhat tricky jump back up?  Well...
You're dead-man-walking, to use the Sierra adventure term.  Except... you're not dead.
And there's no guarantee that you *can* die.
And you can't return to the overworld, only quit the game.
You didn't manually save in the overworld before entering?  Mwahaha...
Not pictured: A later attempt where one of those top crystals was just missing.  Removed by a random fruit spawn, maybe??  Level was uncompleteable, died again.

oops there is a "quit to main level" option my bad :P
« Last Edit: April 23, 2019, 02:32:31 pm by Rolan7 »
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.
Pages: 1 ... 1425 1426 [1427] 1428 1429 ... 1570