Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1429 1430 [1431] 1432 1433 ... 1570

Author Topic: How did you last die?  (Read 2243914 times)

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
Re: How did you last die?
« Reply #21450 on: May 02, 2019, 12:34:20 am »

Did not result in death but resulted in a lot of unneeded damage.

A fire happened in my manufacturing bay setting the entire thing to 300+ degrees Celsius. Everybody has to put on a spacesuit to even get in there so I didn't consider it a big deal.   Until I noticed people getting high body heat alerts.  Seems the heat is bleeding into the adjacent hallway through the walls.  The hallway is at about 60 Celsius.  Ok, that's a problem.   How do I cool this place, there are only heaters ingame so far.

I know, I'll lock everyone in the barracks, and open the main airlock that will cool this situation right quick.

I learned 3 things:

1) Buildings exposed to hard vacuum take lots of damage REALLY quickly.
2) Heat transfers really slowly through spacesuit doors, even when the doors are opened. (In hindsight it may have been that with no air, the heat couldn't dissipate properly)
3) Even though thermal regulators LOOK like heaters they can be set to cool instead of heat and that is a much better option than venting your ship out to space.

Space Haven
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21451 on: May 02, 2019, 11:07:35 am »

Big tip for playing Fallout 1 and 2: Save often and in different slots. The games are many things, but "stable" is not one of them.

I foolishly believed that I could go back to the deathclaw lair, so I've saved in all of my 3 save slots at the same place, at the same time.

I don't remember many of those unfixable situations in either of the Fallout games, but the saves take up little enough space that why not make 5 million saves?

Also, at least I don't remember the first being as problematic as the second with automatic weapons just straight killing you and your NPCs every single fight. I should finish Fallout 2 a second time, but surviving enough combats to do anything is a slog.

Also, vacuum is an insulator.

Kinda. It's more that you get 0 convection when you've got 0 fluid to move the heat. It's not like it will block radiant or conductive heating/cooling.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #21452 on: May 02, 2019, 11:24:24 am »

Died to the very final boss of the game. Next time I'm using the Assault Rifle, I'll pass on the final upgrade because it's bad. Turns a very nice, accurate, ammo-efficient and powerful burst rifle into a slow, innacurate, ammo-wasting minigun.

STRAFE
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Mathel

• Bay Watcher
  • A weird guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21453 on: May 02, 2019, 11:49:54 am »

Also, vacuum is an insulator.
Kinda. It's more that you get 0 convection when you've got 0 fluid to move the heat. It's not like it will block radiant or conductive heating/cooling.

Vacuum also blocks conduction. Conduction only works through matter (any matter, unlike convetion which works in fluids) and since vacuum is the absence of matter, it conducts no heat.

It will still work through the hull of your ship/station, but there is nothing cooler to conduct the heat to. You have to radiate your heat away.
Use a fridge-like system to transfer heat from the inside of your spacething to a radiator outside of it to radiate heat into space.

My death:
Tried to use the Teleport spell to get away. It asked for direction so I pointed away from the enemy about to kill me. Turns out it wanted direction to creature being teleported, not direction to teleport me to.

ADOM
The shield beats the sword.
Urge to drink milk while eating steak wrapped with bacon rising...
Outer planes are not subject to any laws of physics that would prevent them from doing their job.
Better than the heavenly host eating your soul.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21454 on: May 03, 2019, 10:10:37 am »

My death:
Tried to use the Teleport spell to get away. It asked for direction so I pointed away from the enemy about to kill me. Turns out it wanted direction to creature being teleported, not direction to teleport me to.

ADOM

I've noticed that Divinity Original Sin 2 (maybe also the first) is pretty good about letting you know if you're targeting who will get teleported or the place they're going.

My deaths in that game are mostly from walking into a room and getting into a fight I didn't expect, or most recently talking to a vendor who tries to kill my character (but not the other player's characters). I've started saving about as often as I did playing Fallout 2.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #21455 on: May 03, 2019, 04:04:27 pm »

-snip-
I was so sure this was going to be Oxygen Not Included.  Is that game worth getting?

Also I haven't played that game but have you considered taking a cold object or liquid, putting it in the room, letting it equalize with the room temperature and then ejecting it into space?  Repeat until cold.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21456 on: May 03, 2019, 07:03:18 pm »

Divinity Original Sin 1 became a "teleport baddies into magma" simulator about 66% of the way through.

I had two teleports and they did not share cooldowns. Every fight started with an instant death, followed by another instant death, and then likely ended in instant death after those cooldowns were done.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21457 on: May 03, 2019, 11:23:21 pm »

-snip-
I was so sure this was going to be Oxygen Not Included.  Is that game worth getting?

Also I haven't played that game but have you considered taking a cold object or liquid, putting it in the room, letting it equalize with the room temperature and then ejecting it into space?  Repeat until cold.
It's still only alpha and I probably have a good 24 hours of playtime already.  Already a very good game, though you can run out of stuff to do later on as there's little in the way of goals in the alpha outside of gather salvage, get credits, look for more salvage once you get a decent ship built.

Sadly items do not yet transfer heat when deconstructed or in raw materiel form.  Probably if you did gathering salvage from a derelict would freeze your stockpile and everything in a 20 tile radius.  -273C is hella cold.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2019, 11:25:26 pm by Greiger »
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21458 on: May 04, 2019, 02:36:00 pm »

Divinity Original Sin 1 became a "teleport baddies into magma" simulator about 66% of the way through.

I had two teleports and they did not share cooldowns. Every fight started with an instant death, followed by another instant death, and then likely ended in instant death after those cooldowns were done.
In an attempt to make a silly character in the second game I accidentally made a super min-maxed character by going all in on memory, hp, and putting a few skill points into every area except summoning which I maxed out.  The result was a character that never attacked herself but instead had almost every high utility move in the game memorized and could summon things.  Paradoxically I ended up being capable of doing an insane amount of damage as well... I had a turn where I dealt over 6k damage to a single target (although I had to kill myself in the process in order to do it).
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #21459 on: May 04, 2019, 04:10:02 pm »

In an attempt to make a silly character in the second game I accidentally made a super min-maxed character by going all in on memory, hp, and putting a few skill points into every area except summoning which I maxed out.  The result was a character that never attacked herself but instead had almost every high utility move in the game memorized and could summon things.  Paradoxically I ended up being capable of doing an insane amount of damage as well... I had a turn where I dealt over 6k damage to a single target (although I had to kill myself in the process in order to do it).
Is that the thing where you do a damage link to an enemy character and then cast a spell that's supposed to kill yourself as the cost but the damage ends up getting transferred through the chain instead?

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21460 on: May 04, 2019, 04:14:32 pm »

Is that the thing where you do a damage link to an enemy character and then cast a spell that's supposed to kill yourself as the cost but the damage ends up getting transferred through the chain instead?

No you just teleport the bad guy onto magma and it instantly dies. Works on almost everything, including some enemies that are immune to normal damage. Everywhere is covered in magma for some reason for like the last half of the game. Then you just do that until you win.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21461 on: May 04, 2019, 06:16:52 pm »

Close, but no, as the damage dealt to me was far more than my max HP.  Basically there's a summon, I think its called a corpse blob, that is made from a corpse and then moves next to an enemy and blows itself up.  Summons scale with your summoning skill, which I had maxed out.  Then I cast supercharge on it, which gives it a huge stat boost (I think double damage or something?) at the cost of it dying at the end of its turn.  Cast the link, then I move next to the boss, then move the supercharged blob next to me.  Double damage dealt to the boss, then double damage dealt to me, for a total of quadrupling one of the most powerful hits in the game.  There may have been more steps, it was a long turn and my spell list was very bloated.

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21462 on: May 04, 2019, 08:07:36 pm »

Doesn't it defeat the purpose if you kill yourself?
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21463 on: May 05, 2019, 10:47:55 am »

The setting in Divinity has a more casual attitude towards death than DBZ... at least for the player characters.  Doesn't seem to apply to anyone else.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21464 on: May 05, 2019, 03:08:12 pm »

The player characters are immensely lucky in the lines of stumbling across scrolls of Resurrection.  It also probably helps that the 2 main characters are spoilerspoilerredactedspoilerobfuscatedspoilerspoilerspoiler
Pages: 1 ... 1429 1430 [1431] 1432 1433 ... 1570