Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1431 1432 [1433] 1434 1435 ... 1570

Author Topic: How did you last die?  (Read 2244731 times)

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How did you last die?
« Reply #21480 on: May 09, 2019, 02:01:10 pm »

Got the furtherst ever, level 58, all pretty much great and good. Managed to fully clear the story and both DLC's, just beating the master of flesh seconds prior. Then I see a path leading out of the boss arena and go, ok, this probably leads to the exit and I can turn in all these quests and finish the veteran run and go into elite. Except the path is all fucking aetherfire and chunks you incredibly fast, I figure that's cool, I'll potion trough it and run trough the area, except I realise it's a fucking dead end too late and drop dead.

On to attempt number 7, the pile of corpses will continue to grow it seems.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Oh hey, I did that last night too. Except I already have two L100 characters in SC and just forgot you're supposed to turn around and walk out.
Stench Guzman: Fix this quote, please.
Now celebrating: Two and a half years misquoted. Seriously man. Just fix it. -_-

Mathel

• Bay Watcher
  • A weird guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21481 on: May 10, 2019, 11:05:00 am »

Somewhat meta.

I am testing one scenario of the Wesnoth MP campaign I am making on my notebook and it lags a lot (an ai turn takes about an hour in turn 4).
I check task manager:
CPU: 25%
Memory: 50%
HDD: 3%

"What is going on?" I ask myself.
Power usage: very high
Ah, wesnoth wants more power than the powersource can provide.

Battle for Wesnoth 1.14.5
The shield beats the sword.
Urge to drink milk while eating steak wrapped with bacon rising...
Outer planes are not subject to any laws of physics that would prevent them from doing their job.
Better than the heavenly host eating your soul.

amjh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21482 on: May 10, 2019, 01:36:55 pm »

Sounds more like a single-threaded part of the program is using one of four CPU cores.
The truly amazing thing for me here is that a 6 page thread can be created of exceedingly high quality, simply because a group of manic depressive, schizophrenic midgets were able to milk a cow.
Argblarg 5 am not all tiles are done what the

Mathel

• Bay Watcher
  • A weird guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21483 on: May 10, 2019, 01:59:10 pm »

That is also possible. (And more likely. I forgot to check whether the desktop PCs where it uses 100%CPU are multicore or not) Either way, this test is likely going to take several days.
Outer planes are not subject to any laws of physics that would prevent them from doing their job.

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21484 on: May 10, 2019, 02:03:33 pm »

Stumbled across an orc camp. Dead.

Got sneak attacked by a bear. Dead.

Tried to take out a small but mighty boar. Dead.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21485 on: May 10, 2019, 06:35:19 pm »

Tried to weave through oncoming trains on a scooter. Tried. And the trains are being pulled by bulldozer-sized cats.

They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #21486 on: May 13, 2019, 02:56:42 pm »

Somewhat meta.

I am testing one scenario of the Wesnoth MP campaign I am making on my notebook and it lags a lot (an ai turn takes about an hour in turn 4).
I check task manager:
CPU: 25%
Memory: 50%
HDD: 3%

"What is going on?" I ask myself.
Power usage: very high
Ah, wesnoth wants more power than the powersource can provide.

Battle for Wesnoth 1.14.5
Do you have a lot of units in a large map, particularly AI units that spawn a long distance from the player?  Pathfinding will forever be the resource hog of video game AI.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #21487 on: May 13, 2019, 05:56:10 pm »

I only got three lines. The game seemed to get stuck in a loop where it would give me nothing but the z-squiggly piece. I'm pretty sure I got ten in a row.

Bastet. It's a version of Tetris that will always give you the worst possible piece. The title is short for "bastard Tetris."
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21488 on: May 13, 2019, 06:21:42 pm »

I got 7 lines as my best.

The algorithm seems to seek out the line that would need the least blocks to complete, and then not give you what you need to fill that line.  It seems that its possible to work around that in the center but not in the sides, so the strategy is to get half-decent blocks on the side first even if its theoretically a really subpar move.  Basically try to set up your sides so you can get ONE line even if you make one or two other lines impossible, you can figure that out later.  Eventually you will lose but you'll last longer taking what you can get.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21489 on: May 13, 2019, 06:28:16 pm »

Basically, that z-shaped piece is worse than the goddamned square piece.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21490 on: May 13, 2019, 06:29:43 pm »

I made it to 11 lines.

Something odd happened as I got near the top. The tetrominoes stopped falling unless I was actively tapping the "down" button, so I could take my time and reposition as needed. Or maybe that's a sort of bonus thing that you get for clearing 10+ lines, what do I know? :P
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21491 on: May 13, 2019, 08:02:57 pm »

Basically, that z-shaped piece is worse than the goddamned square piece.
You have to bite the bullet and turn it.  You can complete a line (almost) by placing those z pieces horizontally, so eventually it will give you something else.

Mathel

• Bay Watcher
  • A weird guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21492 on: May 14, 2019, 01:28:22 am »

Do you have a lot of units in a large map, particularly AI units that spawn a long distance from the player?  Pathfinding will forever be the resource hog of video game AI.

Yes, but it was not the cause. The cause was the AI having a goal of avoiding a giant area with many villages. The AI was torn between taking the villages and avoiding them.

I fixed it by removing the goal and setting village_value to 0. Now they avoid the area and take only about 2 s per unit, rather than 2 min.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21493 on: May 15, 2019, 03:40:41 pm »

I attempted to colonize the dark island like the good Zorya worshipper I am.  Unfortunately I was attacked by... something I wouldn't have expected to find on the dark island... and then discovered I would have to battle it in spirit challenges.  This didn't seem so bad... until it spammed out 3 of a card that would hit ALL enemies whenever it attacked.  No one directly died from the encounter but we were wounded and night was falling.

In the end we managed to fight our way through bear people and the... things... to get to the valuable reserves of dragon bone and make a powerful idol for our village that would allow us to harvest pretty much anything in the area.  The casualties: our god's chosen (a goblin changeling) lost her goblin-son-turned-forest-demon, an experienced harvester died, and one of our founding members (a scavenger that was really more of a witch) died.  Incidentally, two of those characters were our best bet at spirit challenges.

The coming turns will either go really well for me or really poorly... if I can get more characters I have access to some amazing resources (dragon bone, quartz, elven wood, furs, all in the same place, plus lots of food).  If I can't, well, let's hope I can kit out the current ones to fight well...

edit:
« Last Edit: May 15, 2019, 04:02:37 pm by EnigmaticHat »

Mathel

• Bay Watcher
  • A weird guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21494 on: May 15, 2019, 03:59:55 pm »

I attempted to colonize the dark island like the good Zorya worshipper I am.  Unfortunately I was attacked by... something I wouldn't have expected to find on the dark island... and then discovered I would have to battle it in spirit challenges.  This didn't seem so bad... until it spammed out 3 of a card that would hit ALL enemies whenever it attacked.  No one directly died from the encounter but we were wounded and night was falling.

In the end we managed to fight our way through bear people and the... things... to get to the valuable reserves of dragon bone and make a powerful idol for our village that would allow us to harvest pretty much anything in the area.  The casualties: our god's chosen (a goblin changeling) lost her goblin-son-turned-forest-demon, an experienced harvester died, and one of our founding members (a scavenger that was really more of a witch) died.  Incidentally, two of those characters were our best bet at spirit challenges.

The coming turns will either go really well for me or really poorly... if I can get more characters I have access to some amazing resources (dragon bone, quartz, elven wood, furs, all in the same place, plus lots of food).  If I can't, well, let's hope I can kit out the current ones to fight well...
Thea?

I downed a Mercenary ship and went to raid it, forgetting that mercs use gauss weapons and have Gauss hovertanks, which happen to have type 2 shields. Thanks to reloading no gal died, but there are plenty wounded.

X-Pirates
Pages: 1 ... 1431 1432 [1433] 1434 1435 ... 1570