Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1438 1439 [1440] 1441 1442 ... 1570

Author Topic: How did you last die?  (Read 2245132 times)

Great Order

• Bay Watcher
  • [SCREAMS_INTERNALLY]
    • View Profile
Re: How did you last die?
« Reply #21585 on: July 05, 2019, 01:03:04 pm »

Yes, but that won't work when you've got 57,000 people on your capital, and after being in control of said capital for a month they get to enforce their demands.
I may have wasted all those years
They're not worth their time in tears
I may have spent too long in darkness
In the warmth of my fears

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #21586 on: July 06, 2019, 02:44:19 pm »

Lost a squaddie to an outsider's plasma rifle in the first UFO mission.  Objectively it doesn't matter, but I kind of want to beat the game without losing anyone for a change, and have beaten it twice with just one death.  Since it's so early in the game I may just restart, but wonder if maybe I should try playing on the harder difficulties and just accept that realistically I should be losing soldiers constantly.

What sucks is that it's hard to tell much of the time when enemy overwatch will trigger, which is what got him.  I expected that the outsider was on overwatch since it retreated into the UFO out of sight, but if you move I don't think it triggers overwatch if you just get into cover that allows a shot at the enemy and remain out of sight otherwise.  I assumed he would remain out of sight, but was mistaken.  The shot did exactly enough damage to one-shot the squaddie.

XCOM: Enemy Within.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21587 on: July 06, 2019, 04:09:42 pm »

Got spotted while trying to stealth-liberate an outpost. Killed myself via grenades. Then I discover the game thought it was a great idea to put my latest checkpoint when I was wing-suiting to the base; the game loaded the checkpoint while I was in the air. Except it also doesn't save with the wingsuit being deployed. By the time I noticed that, I was too low to use the wingsuit.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Tried to take on two rhinos... with a bow. Then I tried to take on the same two rhinos by ramming them with a car. That was even less effective then using the bow.

Next time I go rhino hunting, I will bring an anti-tank missile launcher.

EDIT: Had a significant prisoner escape. 7 prisoners dug a tunnel that joined together before heading out... right under a constant dog patrol that never picked it up. I don't know how fast they managed to get the tunnel dug, but most of it went under the cell block wall. Five actually escaped to freedom, because the second they poked their heads out of the ground, they turned and killed one of the escapees who was an Ex-Cop/Snitch. The snitch did manage to knock out one of the other escapees before going down though, and the guards managed to recover him.

Oh, and a random event turned one of the min-sec prisoners into a Legendary. Just now he went berserk in the library, heavily damaging 2/3rds of the room. It took 6 guards, several taser hits, and finally a shotgun blast to the chest before he was finally subdued - and yes, he survived. I kinda wish he didn't.

« Last Edit: July 07, 2019, 07:01:22 am by Akura »
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21588 on: July 07, 2019, 09:48:35 pm »

I both love and hate Baba is You.

Edit, I can do better: BA IS HA AND LO
                             BA     TE        VE
« Last Edit: July 07, 2019, 10:15:27 pm by Iduno »

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21589 on: July 08, 2019, 09:04:04 am »

I landed on a few different planets - a radioactive one, a frozen one, and a completely dark one. I had two thoughts - "My mech will protect me" and "It'll be fine once I dig down a bit."

Nope.

On the plus side, I upgraded my EPP module to protect against radiation after realizing titanium is available on safe-ish desert type planets so I'm well on my way to free exploration. I also cleaned out my inventory by using most of the massive quantity of picks I've accumulated.

Starbound

catacombs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21590 on: July 08, 2019, 04:39:02 pm »

« Last Edit: May 21, 2023, 10:40:51 am by catacombs »

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21591 on: July 08, 2019, 05:10:10 pm »

In DF, of course: My dwarves all died of thirst. There wasn't a source of water anywhere and discovered a suitable plot to farm way too late.

Welp, there is absolutely no sign that this area can support life in any capacity. Time to strike the earth!

~Normal for DF
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

catacombs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21592 on: July 08, 2019, 05:13:47 pm »

« Last Edit: May 21, 2023, 10:44:14 am by catacombs »

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #21593 on: July 08, 2019, 08:20:15 pm »

Ahhh, suddenly aquifers don't look so bad, hunh?

~Kids.  Back in my day, we used to take 3 layer deep sand aquifers, and we liked it!
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

catacombs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21594 on: July 08, 2019, 10:48:57 pm »

« Last Edit: May 21, 2023, 10:44:18 am by catacombs »

scourge728

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21595 on: July 08, 2019, 11:58:45 pm »

Welp, there is absolutely no sign that this area can support life in any capacity. Time to strike the earth!
Sigging this

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #21596 on: July 09, 2019, 02:52:21 am »

No, now they look appealing. Though, I've never understood how to harness them correctly. Most are understand, I know, but that does that usually mean making an underground lake?
I dont want to get too far into this, but assuming the mechanics havent changed:

- A post with links for breaching aquifers.
I prefer making a 4x1 or so staircase, so I adjust my size accordingly.  I prefer to cork drop when I need to go faster, but this can cause bugs in the aquifer or look really ugly when the debris gets all mussy on my surface.  Walling off the aquifers is always more work, but if you have the resources it is sustainable.

You make an underground lake, though, by digging out the reservoir, pre-building the floodgates and diagonal 'pressure breaker', and then channeling up to the aquifer.  Sometimes I use a separate entrance and a staircase, to allow the dwarf to escape the water.  I cant stress how important it is to make sure you have pre-installed the floodgates, doors, and diagonal pressure breaker.  You do not want pressure from the aquifer to create flow into you base.  At best, you'll lose whatever hallway or dining room you wanted the well in.  At worst, It will flood the whole entire base.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2019, 02:55:35 am by pisskop »
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

catacombs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21597 on: July 09, 2019, 10:41:19 am »

« Last Edit: May 21, 2023, 10:44:28 am by catacombs »

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21598 on: July 09, 2019, 11:22:50 am »

Oh, and a random event turned one of the min-sec prisoners into a Legendary. Just now he went berserk in the library, heavily damaging 2/3rds of the room. It took 6 guards, several taser hits, and finally a shotgun blast to the chest before he was finally subdued - and yes, he survived. I kinda wish he didn't.

Man, I should probably give PA another go sometime. There were a few niggling little things that bugged me about the game enough to stop playing it.
Parts of it just felt kinda unfinished... oh and my sniper guards having a strange tendency to get irreparably stuck on walls didn't help, either, after I'd invested so much bloody money in training, equipping and building towers for them. ::)   
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21599 on: July 09, 2019, 04:29:06 pm »

I haven't seen anything like that, though I've noticed that my snipers do fire warning shots at escaping prisoners... or perhaps they have garbage aim and the prisoner decided surrender was a better option. Normally, they have full authority to kill prisoners that have a path to - and are running for - the map edge, even without Free Fire orders.

The min-sec Legendary died though. He was enough of a problem that every time I heard the sound indicating a problem, I specifically looked for him(it usually was him), ordered several guards to respond, and activated Free Fire. Eventually, a shotgun blast finally got him. Now all I have to deal with is almost nightly tunnels and the fact I don't have enough money/income to expand the prison.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.
Pages: 1 ... 1438 1439 [1440] 1441 1442 ... 1570