Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1450 1451 [1452] 1453 1454 ... 1570

Author Topic: How did you last die?  (Read 2243940 times)

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
Re: How did you last die?
« Reply #21765 on: August 27, 2019, 11:50:14 am »

Yeah, I think 4/5 of the sectoids I killed in that mission were from that weapon alone, with another random one dying from a rifle shot.

All told I didn't do too bad I think, for my first mission.  Lost one guy, and a second guy got shot unconscious while knocking on the UFO's door but lived.  I very nearly killed some of my own soldiers though, since it's frighteningly easy to target them with shots when you mean to select them.  Lots of stuff I'll have to unlearn from the newer XCOM.

I also need to buy a tank to handle the job of opening UFO doors.  I'm led to believe I got super lucky that reaction fire didn't immediately toast my scout and merely knocked him out.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21766 on: August 27, 2019, 01:13:44 pm »

Also learned that ocean worlds have titanium, not tungsten, in large amounts near the core. I did find tungsten inside a desert world.

This whole story is hilarious, and sounds like the kind of thing I would do.

Oops, I accidentally poisoned the entire planet.

Yeah this is a good story.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Great Order

• Bay Watcher
  • [SCREAMS_INTERNALLY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #21767 on: August 30, 2019, 12:55:25 pm »

I am literally the most technologically advanced nation in Europe. My generals are mind bogglingly good thanks to me constantly attracting great warriors (literally 30+ martial). I had 22,000 men. I was attacking 8,000.

Of course, the logical turn of events here is that the 8,000 man army utterly shatters mine, because CKII has a unique brand of logic that seems to go "No fuck u"
I may have wasted all those years
They're not worth their time in tears
I may have spent too long in darkness
In the warmth of my fears

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #21768 on: August 30, 2019, 01:00:42 pm »

Were you attacking over a river and/or into mountains? What was the composition of your troops versus their’s?
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Great Order

• Bay Watcher
  • [SCREAMS_INTERNALLY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #21769 on: August 30, 2019, 01:07:37 pm »

Into hills, my troops consisted of a lot of heavy infantry and archers. Should be noted they got no narrow flanks. For some reason my army just decided that morale was for nerds and promptly shat themselves in panic.

Fortunately, I was able to make up for it by proceeding to smash the AI I was trying to take the land from in a second war (I was attacking a rebelling vassal first time so there wasn't a peace treaty when the CB became invalid).
I may have wasted all those years
They're not worth their time in tears
I may have spent too long in darkness
In the warmth of my fears

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21770 on: August 30, 2019, 05:26:00 pm »

Almost got everything done during the Spring 1-Y2 rush. Got 32 quality sprinklers(3x3) in the main field, giving me 256 tiles of automatically watered land(though it would have needed manual watering on that day), plus some more sprinklers for 24 more tiles elsewhere for some beanstalks. Messed up the placement for the beans a bit, I'd have to pick up the sprinklers to harvest a couple of the plants. Also somehow messed up the amounts of seeds I used despite counting them out exactly, I ended up with too few parsnip seeds and two too many potato seeds despite buying exactly the same amount of each.

Almost made it, but 2AM hit right as I was placing the potatoes. Morris, for whatever reason he was looking through my potato fields, found me, called EMS to drop me off in bed(like, 20 feet from my front door), then stole 1000g from my wallet. I'm gonna that man out of business.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21771 on: August 30, 2019, 06:10:21 pm »

Crashed into a wall and lost my last honeycomb while trying to land on an egg to hatch it.  That was after spending a frustrating amount of time figuring out how to get to it with Kazooie alone in the first place, and while trying to get her to land I accidentally hit the button to do the aerial dive attack, which smashed me into a wall and killed me.

Banjo-Tooie.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #21772 on: August 31, 2019, 02:16:10 pm »

Into hills, my troops consisted of a lot of heavy infantry and archers. Should be noted they got no narrow flanks. For some reason my army just decided that morale was for nerds and promptly shat themselves in panic.

Fortunately, I was able to make up for it by proceeding to smash the AI I was trying to take the land from in a second war (I was attacking a rebelling vassal first time so there wasn't a peace treaty when the CB became invalid).

LI and Archers do hella skirmish moral damage.

and a good general, in my subjective experience, can prolong the length of  skirmish if it benefits him, as determined by the ai.

it's not a winning strat for the ai in the long run; you have to follow it up.  but i would take archer or pike retinues once it became convenient.  to add some staying power to my armies

my source is tribal playthroughs on hard.  teaches you to respect terrain and morale
« Last Edit: August 31, 2019, 02:19:10 pm by pisskop »
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21773 on: August 31, 2019, 04:21:07 pm »

Volcanic planets are terrifying and I got eaten by a doggie.

Starbound.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21774 on: August 31, 2019, 09:30:37 pm »

Went on my first terror mission, and brought along my first heavy weapon platform with the expectation that I was going to need it.  It didn't even make it past the exit ramp before two cyberdiscs toasted it with reaction fire.  I managed to destroy them with massed autofire from my remaining soldiers, since at least the tank ate up the reactions from the cyberdiscs, but one exploding cyberdisc killed 3 of my soldiers, and sectoids got some lucky shots that killed a few more.

Then I found 2 more cyberdiscs, and they finished off what was left of my squad.

Lost a tank, 10 soldiers and the skyranger on my first terror mission.

Restarted after that mission.

XCOM Classic.

Darkening Kaos

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Gibbering Idiot +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #21775 on: August 31, 2019, 10:15:12 pm »

@Telgin:
           ‼Flamethrowers‼
So! Failed to make peace, war looms, kill the infidels... what are our plans for the weekend?
The Giant Moles in the caverns of my current fort breed like crazy, even while regularly being decimated by other beasts entering them...

AlStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21776 on: September 01, 2019, 01:11:58 am »

Always watch what the air pressure is like in your base - especially in main communal areas like the dinner hall. The difference between a perfectly functioning base and one filled with 100% stressed-out dupes puking, going on rages, and stuffing food down their gullets can be as simple as a 'popped ears' debuff.

-Oxygen Not Included

(A 250+ cycle base, which I'm going to have to see if going back a dozen cycles or so is enough to fix things.)

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21777 on: September 03, 2019, 08:24:26 am »

Went on my first terror mission, and brought along my first heavy weapon platform with the expectation that I was going to need it.  It didn't even make it past the exit ramp before two cyberdiscs toasted it with reaction fire.  I managed to destroy them with massed autofire from my remaining soldiers, since at least the tank ate up the reactions from the cyberdiscs, but one exploding cyberdisc killed 3 of my soldiers, and sectoids got some lucky shots that killed a few more.

Then I found 2 more cyberdiscs, and they finished off what was left of my squad.

Lost a tank, 10 soldiers and the skyranger on my first terror mission.

Restarted after that mission.

XCOM Classic.

And that's why you don't leave the bus on the first turn, unless you know it's safe to do so. With terror missions it seems like a good idea so you don't spend one turn letting everyone get killed, but the alternative is they fix the problem that's been in the game for 25 years.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21778 on: September 03, 2019, 09:09:27 am »

What problem is that, exactly?  That aliens start with full TUs on that turn, so they get all of their potential reaction fire at your troops as they disembark?

What is the best way to start a terror mission then?  Skip the first round and just let the aliens kill civilians?  Or, actually, I guess using smoke grenades would help too, but I don't know how much nor do I even remember seeing them anywhere when I last played.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21779 on: September 03, 2019, 12:14:53 pm »

What problem is that, exactly?  That aliens start with full TUs on that turn, so they get all of their potential reaction fire at your troops as they disembark?

What is the best way to start a terror mission then?  Skip the first round and just let the aliens kill civilians?  Or, actually, I guess using smoke grenades would help too, but I don't know how much nor do I even remember seeing them anywhere when I last played.

Yeah, starting with full TU so they get too many reaction shots is the main problem. Starting with half would make it something you could at least handle.

I think you have to buy smoke grenades? It's been a while. Part of the problem is also that the skyranger is shaped so you can't see anything until you're out of the ship (and have used part of your movement, so you can be reaction shot).

My usual play is to save, run out to see if everyone gets shot, and reload if it's unsafe. It's stupid, but the alternative is "too bad, RNG lol." Losing all of those civilians with no chance to help them isn't good, either.
Pages: 1 ... 1450 1451 [1452] 1453 1454 ... 1570