Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1455 1456 [1457] 1458 1459 ... 1570

Author Topic: How did you last die?  (Read 2244359 times)

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
Re: How did you last die?
« Reply #21840 on: October 06, 2019, 12:12:49 am »

It is my favourite.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21841 on: October 06, 2019, 07:05:42 am »

They're not really "invincible 90% of the time", though. The Fear simply moves very fast and sometimes has camo. The Fury I think deflects bullets with his flamethrower. The Boss similarly cannot be hit if she's firing at you; I think the explanation is that she's firing so many bullets that it creates a wall to block yours. All the bosses have fewer invulnerable frames than you think - in fact I think The End has the most out of all the bosses.

The Boss is supposed to be a tricky fight, partly because there's very few "tricks" to winning. I've beaten her by staying at range and using the sniper rifle or RPG, dropping mines and/or grenades, and even matching her with CQC counters and taking her down with the knife.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Mathel

• Bay Watcher
  • A weird guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21842 on: October 06, 2019, 11:00:09 am »

First I froze the game by punching a door.
Also once died because a Lizard Man paralysed me and I did not have a potion of free action.
Then I was killed several times while pressing 'u' to use healing potion.

All happened in Stonekeep.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
The shield beats the sword.
Urge to drink milk while eating steak wrapped with bacon rising...
Outer planes are not subject to any laws of physics that would prevent them from doing their job.
Better than the heavenly host eating your soul.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21843 on: October 06, 2019, 11:38:43 am »

Just shoot the end out of his stupid little wheelchair. Donezo.

If that fails chase him down with a shotgun. None of that commando bullshit.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #21844 on: October 06, 2019, 01:00:07 pm »

You need to do the commando bullshit to get close enough to him though :p
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21845 on: October 06, 2019, 02:55:26 pm »

Au Contraire

https://youtu.be/Vubt_qIGye0?t=42

You can just barrel your way through the jungle until you find him. ThE FaThER oF mOdErN SnIPinG has a vision cone like a viewmaster. This guy is after his gear, but I used to just turn him to giblets. Thermal goggles do help find him though, I suppose those are commando tools by default.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2019, 03:19:26 pm by Dunamisdeos »
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
« Reply #21846 on: October 06, 2019, 08:23:18 pm »

At the time of this writing, if you look on the Apple Store page for Overland, you'll notice that its rating is around 3 stars out of five. Similarly, at the time of this writing, if you look on the Steam store page for Overland, you'll notice that its rating is "Mixed" with 56% of 118 reviews being marked as positive.

Several of these negative reviews cite unpleasantly high difficulty and unpleasantly obtuse controls. While I would not give a low rating/negative review because of these reasons, after a brief amount of time playing Overland on my iPhone through Apple Arcade, I must admit that these issues definitely exist and that they definitely harm gameplay.

Suffice it to say that this game is not perfect. That said, I still like it in spite of these various shortcomings.

« Last Edit: October 06, 2019, 08:46:39 pm by AzyWng »

Eschar

• Bay Watcher
  • hello
    • View Profile
« Reply #21847 on: October 06, 2019, 11:07:05 pm »

Was using Tesh's Instant Connection - the fancy-concussion-hammer-plus-Slipstream - and ran right into a bullet. I was tossed into space and didn't catch myself in the 2 seconds available to do so.

Heat Signature.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2019, 09:12:56 am by Eschar »

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #21848 on: October 07, 2019, 08:15:17 am »

Reaction fire from a mind controlled friendly in the back, which killed my soldier in one hit.  Just another day in X-COM.

I also screwed up on a terror mission.  I was going to land maybe an hour before sunrise so when it asked me if I wanted to start the mission I said no, with the plan to loiter until sunrise.  The problem, as I discovered, is that while I could have loitered around for a while no problem, once you get the mission prompt you have to land or it vanishes.  So... pretty sure India is going to abandon the X-COM project at the end of the month.

I'd restart, but I actually have flying suits and some plasma weapons now...
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21849 on: October 07, 2019, 09:02:23 am »

Got wiped in less than 10 seconds. Against an Esthar Soldier, Esthar Soldier(cyborg version), and a Gesper. Right at the start, the cyborg soldier casts Death. Then the Gesper uses Degenerator, then the cyborg casts Death again. All three party members instantly dead.

My last save was well before the previous boss, which took awhile since it was very weak yet I could draw Flare from it.

Hey, at least the game is pretty? I would say that's my least favorite of the Final Fantasies, but then I remember the one where I couldn't leave the tutorial because I couldn't understand what they were saying (10).

Several of these negative reviews cite unpleasantly high difficulty and unpleasantly obtuse controls. While I would not give a low rating/negative review because of these reasons, after a brief amount of time playing Overland on my iPhone through Apple Arcade, I must admit that these issues definitely exist and that they definitely harm gameplay.

High difficulty is one thing (sometimes enjoyable), but bad controls can go to hell.

Was using Tess's Instant [something] - the fancy-concussion-hammer-plus-Slipstream - and ran right into a bullet. I was tossed into space and didn't catch myself in the 2 seconds available to do so.

Heat Signature.

I quit using concussion hammers after accidentally killing a few dozen people out windows, or alerting people by throwing a guard past his buddies. It's not a stealth weapon, and nobody minds a half dozen flying wrenches. I knew slipstream was a trap, as I've used it against guards more than they've successfully used it against me.

Reaction fire from a mind controlled friendly in the back, which killed my soldier in one hit.  Just another day in X-COM.

I also screwed up on a terror mission.  I was going to land maybe an hour before sunrise so when it asked me if I wanted to start the mission I said no, with the plan to loiter until sunrise.  The problem, as I discovered, is that while I could have loitered around for a while no problem, once you get the mission prompt you have to land or it vanishes.  So... pretty sure India is going to abandon the X-COM project at the end of the month.

I'd restart, but I actually have flying suits and some plasma weapons now...

X-com is one of the games where fights aren't long enough. Accidentally fell and scraped your knee in end-game armor? Better get someone there with a medkit so you don't bleed out next round.

I don't know if openx-com changed the behavior that missions disappear if you say no, but I know piratez did. If you can get past the unnecessary pixelated nudity (mostly in research) in piratez, it's a more pleasant-to-play version of x-com.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #21850 on: October 07, 2019, 09:07:45 am »

This was in Open X-COM, so evidently it's behavior that was carried over from the original unchanged.

And yeah, medikits are a sore spot for me.  In almost every case there's no point since people die in one hit, but I've had maybe two soldiers die from fatal wounds because they won the lottery and were only halfway killed by a plasma pistol or edge of a grenade explosion and I hadn't bothered to research medikits yet.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21851 on: October 07, 2019, 05:55:28 pm »

Not really a death, but I realized I can't push forward with the main bus without disassembling nearly everything because of a cliff in the way. I didn't leave enough room to curve every lane around it. Barely had room for the iron, copper, and circuit lanes, but the iron gear lane is dead-ended.

I was doing pretty decently, for example learning to and using an actual bus* rather than a bunch of random crap scattered everywhere.

They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21852 on: October 07, 2019, 08:18:14 pm »

Nowhere near that point. Because of the lack of space, I couldn't start mass production of all the science I needed to research it. Plus, all that requires a fluid setup. I did start a new map, with plenty of space for the bus. Having a small problem with lane-balancing the green circuits, but I think I have a short-term solution in place.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #21853 on: October 08, 2019, 04:50:46 pm »

Cause of death: 'Snipuhiisi's projectile'

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #21854 on: October 08, 2019, 04:56:05 pm »

I've never seriously tried to beat the first Metal Gear, but I'd seen let's-plays of the NES version. "That doesn't look that hard," I said. "I bet Solid Snake is just more of the same."

I could not have been more wrong. After about 30 minutes, I have yet to leave the opening area.

Metal Gear 2.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.
Pages: 1 ... 1455 1456 [1457] 1458 1459 ... 1570