Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1456 1457 [1458] 1459 1460 ... 1570

Author Topic: How did you last die?  (Read 2238823 times)

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
Re: How did you last die?
« Reply #21855 on: October 08, 2019, 06:30:14 pm »

Cause of death: 'Snipuhiisi's projectile'

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

And right after that, my best run to date... Going far, FAR beyond anything previous due to a hilariously overpowered synergy of perks and spells.

And then I wanted to figure out what that big red can would do if I shot at it. Apparently I wasn't far enough away.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #21856 on: October 08, 2019, 07:54:09 pm »

I want to like Noita, but it is so RNG heavy that attempting to achieve any given goal isn't really feasable.

Plus, the monster infighting means that by the time you get to the end of a given area, it's already trashed.

There's a lot of good ideas there, but... ugh.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #21857 on: October 09, 2019, 04:05:08 am »

I want to like Noita, but it is so RNG heavy that attempting to achieve any given goal isn't really feasable.

Plus, the monster infighting means that by the time you get to the end of a given area, it's already trashed.

There's a lot of good ideas there, but... ugh.
Yeah, there are plenty of issues, but with any luck the dev will recognize them as such and iron out a few.

I'm a bit torn on the infighting... On the one hand, I think monster infighting is friggin' awesome and hilarious in every game where that happens. On the other, it means I lose out on gold, and as you said things can end up pretty trashed by the time you ever get to that area.

Also the difficulty seems to go kinda apeshit after the ice caves. I'm not sure how you're supposed to survive without the utter bullshit spells I was lucky enough to be flinging around.

EDIT: Okay, died again, but it was totally worth it. I'd managed to find a copy of the obligatory holy hand grenade spell, and on that same run experimented with trying out the Glass Cannon perk (note: do not take Glass Cannon). The perk, in addition to capping your health at 50, makes your spells deal 5x as much damage, and "increases the size of your blasts". The holy bomb already has a blast radius of 180, three times that of the starting bomb.

I'm not sure how much exactly the blast area gets increased, but that combination results in a single bomb destroying all the terrain for pretty much the entire level.

I hurled a bomb into a ravine, fled, and after the momentary lag was annihilated by the explosion. I watched gleefully as everything else ceased to exist as well.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #21858 on: October 09, 2019, 08:53:52 am »

I mean, you do take glass cannon, but only after you have explosion immunity :P

Though yeah, game could seriously stand to extend the lifetime of gold, or just flat out not despawn it. Better, instead of just disappearing, have it fall apart into gold dust you can pick up or interact with. Lake of molten gold ftw.

Hopefully there'll be an option or mod or something at some point in the future.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #21859 on: October 09, 2019, 09:32:05 am »

The game already even has gold dust; blowing up natural deposits will turn them into a smattering of dust that you can pick up for a little cash. So it's not that much of a stretch to make the nuggets fall apart into a more "vulnerable" state that, while permanent if left alone, is susceptible to getting the shit wrecked out of it by the environment.

Some sort of change should really be made, as enemies in the later portions start dropping insane numbers of nuggets that end up choking the screen or getting shunted to unreachable areas because there wasn't enough room to spawn in the same area as the corpse. Can't even imagine what it'd look like with accidental deaths, let alone accidental deaths while you've got Trick Greed.

Had a reasonably successful run earlier today that got cut short by dropping down the shaft into the ice caves and landing on top of 3 jetpack assholes and a tank, backed up by a sniper and lightning spirit. That was another run where I got to abuse and exploit the Homing Projectiles perk for all it's worth.

So, the perk in general is just sorta okay... It likes to fuck with long-range shots because it'll just find something else to home in on, even if it's on the other side of a wall, and some projectiles really don't work well with the homing in general.

But then we get to abnormal projectiles, and things start getting fun... A number of spells are classed as "projectiles" even when they don't work like your standard shooty bolts and fireballs. The mist spells (slime/blood/whiskey etc.), for instance. The center of the mist cloud is technically a projectile, it just has 0 speed and 0 gravity and doesn't disappear when it "hits" something. The green rain cloud from the acid rain spell is also a projectile, as are the explosions from the cross charge spells.

Homing goes absolutely apeshit with these projectiles. Since they normally have no speed or gravity, the only force acting upon them is the "slight" homing effect, causing them to zero in on nearby enemies with extreme prejudice. Now, having your own little acid storm cloud following you around is already pretty disastrous, but how about we make this even worse?

Projectile modifiers work on these abnormal projectiles. This includes stuff like fire trails, poison trails... And lightning charge. It's only +8 electric damage or so, but it's +8 every time a projectile "impacts" an enemy... Which in the case of abnormal projectiles like mist clouds can happen hundreds of times for a single shot, because the hitbox will intersect with an enemy but the projectile won't go away. And of course it'll shock liquids and metals and stun enemies and all that good stuff.

On my best run, I had two wands that abused this synergy. One was just a paired set of electric cross charges, so while the explosion is charging up they'd home in on and zap anything that moved before detonating. Very handy, and actually remarkably manageable.

Then there was the Armageddon wand. Pure destruction. A timed spark bolt that fired a quadruple multishot of four whiskey mists, with a projectile modifier... Namely, fireball thrower. Because of how modifiers and multicasts work, it used a single charge of fireball thrower to apply it to all four mists. Hurl it into a room and go hide behind something while the world ends.

I miss that wand...

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #21860 on: October 09, 2019, 12:47:47 pm »

Now that I'm done with the Diamond City/Goodneighbor section of the plot, I want to make The Castle my base of operations for the final act. This involves a more than a few vertibird trips gathering all the food, water, ammo and weapons I'd saved at Oberland Station, as well as some of the excess settlers from other places.

While scrapping random stuff inside the walls, I stumble upon a legendary glowing mirelurk. It two-shots me. I hadn't saved since I first took the castle.

Fallout 4.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21861 on: October 09, 2019, 02:06:33 pm »

Autosaves tho
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21862 on: October 09, 2019, 02:31:02 pm »

Autosaves tho

FO4 barely knows what those are, it's a constant pain in the rear.
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #21863 on: October 09, 2019, 05:27:35 pm »

Autosaves tho
Somehow I heard this in the "Nanomachines, son!" tone of voice.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21864 on: October 09, 2019, 06:17:45 pm »

Autosaves tho
Somehow I heard this in the "Nanomachines, son!" tone of voice.

Ba ha ahahah ah aha ha ha  I had no idea about this,. I had to look this one up, and ended up watching the end boss section of this game. This is hamming it up gold.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #21865 on: October 09, 2019, 06:50:10 pm »

Senator Armstrong is a great parody character.  Who else drives a giant laser shooting ant that they can pick up with their bare hands and ends up being the evolution of said ant?
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21866 on: October 09, 2019, 06:56:01 pm »

He also said Make America Great Again before it was cool.

The dramatic final word between them before you fight the last fight after like 30m of political rambling is

1: COME ON.

2: .......OK.

Never change, Kojima.

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #21867 on: October 09, 2019, 07:12:52 pm »

Autosaves tho

FO4 barely knows what those are, it's a constant pain in the rear.

Also, I've been playing on survival. No saving until I sleep in a bed or quit the game for the night. If it wasn't on Survival I would have no reason to use the vertibird.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #21868 on: October 10, 2019, 09:13:03 am »

Blaster bombed.  Lost 6/10 of my best soldiers and a laser tank from a suicidal snake man who disregarded that setting the weapon off in the corridors of a landed battleship was not conducive to his survival.  Guess he accomplished what he was trying to do though...

At the very least my commander survived without injuries despite being in the blast.  Maybe flying suits actually do help a little, even if they only saved one other person caught in the blast.

And I guess I looted enough from the battleship to replace the soldiers and armor, but starting over with noobs is not a good thing.

X-COM classic.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #21869 on: October 10, 2019, 10:41:41 am »

This could go into the own thread in part, but I lost in the end so it's just as appropriate here. Take on a ruined settlement with Lahmizzash and his kinda ok starting army, turns out its skaven and the buggers I'm at war with no less. They've got some numbers on me but the main problem is their skirmishers since I don't have any cavalry and the only thing that can lock them down temporarily are my two carrion squads which do the work but eventually get shot down by sheer number. Rest of my army is picked apart until only Lahmizzash remains, facing down 500+ skaven vermin. Dude actually holds his ground, and murders some 250 and routs most of the rest, unfortunately the bastards still had some ammo so he was continously getting picked at until he finally died to the last several dozen remaining rats.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG
Pages: 1 ... 1456 1457 [1458] 1459 1460 ... 1570