Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1458 1459 [1460] 1461 1462 ... 1570

Author Topic: How did you last die?  (Read 2243896 times)

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
Re: How did you last die?
« Reply #21885 on: October 17, 2019, 05:17:05 pm »

Particularly the time I touched down the plane on the runway, bounced up ‘cause I was going too fast, turned, and consequently crashed ‘cause I touched down wing first after the rebound.
Any landing you can walk away from is from the wrong game.
I was told - many times - to be careful, the equipment is expensive.

But then I made him cry because I’m the rocket belt master.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

MCreeper

• Bay Watcher
  • My bus is late
    • View Profile
« Reply #21886 on: October 20, 2019, 07:47:52 am »

Not last, but still amazing.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Civilization 1.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2019, 07:54:24 am by MCreeper »

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #21887 on: October 20, 2019, 05:47:29 pm »

Since fast travel is disabled in Survival and I have no desire to walk over ground I've already covered just to defend a settlement, I took a vertibird.

The pilot decided to land me on top of a live grenade.

I swear to God, I am going to turn all my settlements into profit machines. Tier 3 shops at every one. "But itisnotlogical," you ask, "What about the cramped settlements where there's no room to build?"

I will make them fit. Then I will spend all my time going on a massive circuit, collecting money and scrap from my vassal states until I can turn each one into a glorious killing field of turrets. Preston will be exiled to Outpost Zimonja or some other crappy tiny settlement that I never visit, and Radio Freedom will go off the air forever.

Fallout 4.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2019, 05:51:33 pm by itisnotlogical »
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21888 on: October 20, 2019, 06:28:11 pm »

If at first you can't make everything you need fit, build a freakin' skyscraper and try again!
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
« Reply #21889 on: October 20, 2019, 07:09:32 pm »

The third battle of the entire game has a mechanic where you have to free prisoners from cells. What I did not realize was that you had to free ALL the prisoners to proceed. If you do not, guards keep spawning infinitely, with no indication that you need to free more prisoners to (presumably) stem the tide.

I didn't even notice the two remaining prisoners since I was so focused on the several guards that kept showing up.

I don't think I'll be playing this game again anytime soon.

Screech9791

• Bay Watcher
  • quit
    • View Profile
« Reply #21890 on: October 20, 2019, 08:36:01 pm »

Ran out of medical kit power, when using my one resupply box charge would be a waste of time, and I had enough points anyways to buy a tier 4 melee, and have a bit of scrap to get a melee trinket or two. So I'm killing zombies with my cool remantled Kongol axe, with the variant that reduces damage in exchange for applying various debuffs on hit zombies. Stuff seem to be going well, but this was on a map with a winrate low enough for humans to get extra rewards for winning (the bonus rewards from low winrate weren't that major, but still were there, the map was zs_yongen). After the C sigil got corrupted, I shortly got killed by a rushing horde of zombies that just finished corrupting the C sigil. So much for my blood armor + bloodlust skill (which gives me health after a short delay after melee kills).

I died plenty of times as a zombie trying to accelerate the inevitable (and get revenge on my former team who failed to save me in exchange for me healing them earlier), but they were all boring "get shot to death while attacking the cade" deaths.
Spoiler: game (click to show/hide)
it's over

amjh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21891 on: October 21, 2019, 12:31:09 am »

Ironman game, in the second month, doing very well with no losses this far.

And my ship gets intercepted. I lose everything needed to run missions in an unwinnable, inescapable encounter with no way to replace any of it at this point of the game.

The truly amazing thing for me here is that a 6 page thread can be created of exceedingly high quality, simply because a group of manic depressive, schizophrenic midgets were able to milk a cow.
Argblarg 5 am not all tiles are done what the

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #21892 on: October 21, 2019, 05:06:18 am »

Spoiler: game (click to show/hide)
Y'all ever play Zombie Master back when that was a thing?

Completely fucking unbalanced shitshow of a mod, but damn if it wasn't fun. Believe that's actually how I got introduced to DF, of all places.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #21893 on: October 21, 2019, 08:40:19 am »

I forgot that the central lift of battleships goes up to the third level, so a snakeman shot one of my soldiers from above without me realizing it was possible.  That sucked.  More directly on me was the one soldier I sent off by himself, who bumbled into another snakeman and only had enough TUs to fire one burst.  Missed.  He actually survived two hits from the return fire with only personal armor, but the third shot got him.

I got much luckier later when two snakemen with blaster launchers missed, which I didn't think was even possible.  One idiot blew himself up along with 50 units of elerium, which really sucked, but the other one just... missed somehow and blew out a section of the wall instead of killing my commander.

I'm currently trying to figure out how I'm going to capture an alien commander.  If they're consistently armed with blaster launchers, they're going to keep killing themselves before I can get them.  Maybe base commanders aren't always armed that way.

X-COM classic.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2019, 08:44:36 am by Telgin »
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Mathel

• Bay Watcher
  • A weird guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21894 on: October 21, 2019, 08:49:45 am »

I forgot that the central lift of battleships goes up to the third level, so a snakeman shot one of my soldiers from above without me realizing it was possible.  That sucked.  More directly on me was the one soldier I sent off by himself, who bumbled into another snakeman and only had enough TUs to fire one burst.  Missed.  He actually survived two hits from the return fire with only personal armor, but the third shot got him.

I got much luckier later when two snakemen with blaster launchers missed, which I didn't think was even possible.  One idiot blew himself up along with 50 units of elerium, which really sucked, but the other one just... missed somehow and blew out a section of the wall instead of killing my commander.

I'm currently trying to figure out how I'm going to capture an alien commander.  If they're consistently armed with blaster launchers, they're going to keep killing themselves before I can get them.  Maybe base commanders aren't always armed that way.

X-COM classic.

In some versions of X-COM, Blaster shots that should go directly up or down go directly south instead. If they exit the map, they reappear on the next waypoint. Otherwise, well, they explode on impact.
The AI does not know this.
The shield beats the sword.
Urge to drink milk while eating steak wrapped with bacon rising...
Outer planes are not subject to any laws of physics that would prevent them from doing their job.
Better than the heavenly host eating your soul.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #21895 on: October 21, 2019, 09:06:28 am »

One was firing up from one of the power source "legs" of the battleship, so that would explain that, except that I'm playing on Open X-COM, which I thought fixed known bugs like that.  It also doesn't really explain how the second one missed, since that shot just went down a hallway.

Maybe the alien was aiming at the wall in an attempt to kill multiple soldiers?  If so, maybe the explosion was just far enough away from all of them that their flying suits actually absorbed the damage.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Mathel

• Bay Watcher
  • A weird guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21896 on: October 21, 2019, 09:24:55 am »

I think OpenXcom did fix it. There is a different option, that I noticed a few days ago in X-Piratez. When Firing a Retribution Missile (also guided), I noticed it overshot the waypoints slightly. Not by much, but enough to leave the map if it went up steeply and the waypoint was on the top layer and enough to hit the ground when going steeply down with the waypoint being on the bottom layer.

While Blaster launcher does not do this (just checked), it is not completely accurate. I tested it running along UFO external hull for about 15 tiles and it hit the hull. Perhaps how well it aims at the waypoints is determined by accuracy.
The shield beats the sword.
Urge to drink milk while eating steak wrapped with bacon rising...
Outer planes are not subject to any laws of physics that would prevent them from doing their job.
Better than the heavenly host eating your soul.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21897 on: October 21, 2019, 01:53:29 pm »

Tried to cheese Archpriestess Choir. Clearly, she does not like cheese anywhere near as much as her sister did.

They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

CABL

• Bay Watcher
  • Has a fetish for voring the rich
    • View Profile
« Reply #21898 on: October 21, 2019, 02:01:00 pm »

Fucking Hindus and their +30% morale bonus for troops; They always defeat me when the forces are even, despite me having lots of pikemen and light cavalry in my ranks.

Pounded in the Butt by my own Government... oh wait, that's real life.

Much less active than I used to be on these forums, but I still visit them on occasion. Will probably resume my activity in full once Dwarf Fortress will be released on Steam.

Dostoevsky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21899 on: October 21, 2019, 10:33:05 pm »

Had an astoundingly lucky run - two layers of effectively permanent projectile shielding, a wand that threw out a steady stream of sets of four magical arrows & a wand of lightning bolt, and even a rune of healing. Even had an infinite (if slow) means of digging through just about anything.

Made it into one of the lower levels, chuckling as the many bullets thrown my way are shrugged off and casually blasting enemy Hisii away.

Climb into a corridor with a lone enemy trooper, finishing him quickly - but not before he uses a wand he pilfered, which blooms a giant pattern of runes. The world crumbles around us, crushing me in rubble.

Pages: 1 ... 1458 1459 [1460] 1461 1462 ... 1570