Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1459 1460 [1461] 1462 1463 ... 1570

Author Topic: How did you last die?  (Read 2244550 times)

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
Re: How did you last die?
« Reply #21900 on: October 22, 2019, 08:30:02 am »

Congratulations, you've discovered Earthquake! It has three charges and is generally only useful for suicidal enemies who want to ruin everything. Much like Nuke and Holy Bomb, and all three are spells included in the secret orb locations!

Earthquake is also pretty much the only situation where physics objects will kill you, so it's not the most intuitive.

Screech9791

• Bay Watcher
  • quit
    • View Profile
« Reply #21901 on: October 22, 2019, 08:40:31 pm »

-snip-
Y'all ever play Zombie Master back when that was a thing?

Completely fucking unbalanced shitshow of a mod, but damn if it wasn't fun. Believe that's actually how I got introduced to DF, of all places.
I never heard of it when I first played Garry Newman's Modification. I did play ZS starting mid january 2018, though.
it's over

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21902 on: October 24, 2019, 02:43:50 am »

Random rimworld tip: Make an animal zone for boomrats next to the hive when an infestation starts.

Thats a great idea!  Why did I never try that earlier!
*later*
Infestation in stockpile room.  Hmm, I think this will still work, boomrats don't make huge fires, and it's mostly metal and bricks in there anyway.
*shortly after*
Why is the metal burning? Oh hey there's chemfuel in there too, I never burned that before, I wonder how fast it burns.
*ssssssst *boom*
oh.... it explodes, not burns... making more fires....oh there goes the other stack of chemfuel too....hmm.

And that is the story of how I lost an entire stockpile of steel and chemfuel to an infestation.  On the plus side, the bugs are gone.

Rimworld
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #21903 on: October 25, 2019, 08:53:50 pm »

Fallout Tactics sucked, but it also made me want to play Fallout 1.

In order:

Ambushed by radscorpions. Stung to death.

Ambushed by gangsters. Critical hit knocks me over, then I'm beaten to death.

Wandered into the raider base. Told Garl I was an adventurer. Shot to death.

Went into the radscorpion cave. Stung to death.

Fallout 1.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #21904 on: October 26, 2019, 02:16:44 am »

Got a bit overconfident in my triple veteren mortars and necrofex combo and went ahead and laid siege on a settlement that apparently not only had a garrisson army but one close enough to reinforce. Numerically we were kinda similar but it turns out the elves are fond of really long range archery, so long range in fact that the fuckers could reach my mortars and eventually render them useless simply by fielding an elven fuckton of archers. The constant cavalry harassment didn't help much either :c

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #21905 on: October 28, 2019, 10:01:30 am »

Lost a soldier as MIA after discovering that the battleship I landed at was filled with ethereals.  I had hoped that just sending my plasma hovertank out to scout would mean that the soldiers would be safe from potential psionic attacks, but alas, I had to send a soldier out to finish off the ethereal the tank found.  He was then repeatedly and incessantly mind controlled, with no way to recover him.

At least I did kill 3 more ethereals and a sectopod with that hovertank.  I was shocked that it was able to take out the sectopod, and didn't even take a scratch from it.

I aborted the mission the moment the tank went up in smoke though, leaving the soldier to his fate.  Until I get psionics I'm not messing with ethereals anymore, and maybe not sectoids.

X-COM.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21906 on: October 28, 2019, 01:28:33 pm »

Lost a soldier as MIA after discovering that the battleship I landed at was filled with ethereals.  I had hoped that just sending my plasma hovertank out to scout would mean that the soldiers would be safe from potential psionic attacks, but alas, I had to send a soldier out to finish off the ethereal the tank found.  He was then repeatedly and incessantly mind controlled, with no way to recover him.

At least I did kill 3 more ethereals and a sectopod with that hovertank.  I was shocked that it was able to take out the sectopod, and didn't even take a scratch from it.

I aborted the mission the moment the tank went up in smoke though, leaving the soldier to his fate.  Until I get psionics I'm not messing with ethereals anymore, and maybe not sectoids.

X-COM.

What took out a tank that a sectopod couldn't scratch?

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21907 on: October 28, 2019, 02:37:08 pm »

Ethereal with what I'm guessing was a heavy plasma rifle, which took a couple of hits.  Surprisingly, the ethereal with the blaster launcher died to the hovertank.

I think I just got very lucky with the sectopod.  It only shot at the tank once, and that shot didn't damage it.  It must have rolled very badly on its damage.  On the flip side, it took four shots from the tank before it died, the killing blow going to a rear hit.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #21908 on: October 28, 2019, 07:03:51 pm »

Nice, you happened across one of the few instances where enemies are significantly resistant or vulnerable to certain types of damage!  Sectopods, already very beefy, are especially resistant to plasma (and explosions).  And that's applied *before* the flat damage *reduction* of their armor.

They have a significant weakness though, if you use... well, the only other semi-viable option.  It's a nice surprise for those who prefer
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

(which is objectively a bad option in general because it's a miracle they even released the game, they really didn't have a chance to balance it)

Edit: Rear-hits are very useful for getting past damage reduction, yeah.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21909 on: October 28, 2019, 08:29:49 pm »

Honestly, I've been considering if I should just take laser rifles for everyone anyway, so when mind control happens they don't immediately slaughter each other.  The lasers seemed to kill aliens in one hit a lot of the time anyway, unless things like ethereals are tougher than they look and I'm just used to heavy plasma killing them easily.

But, really, I should probably just wait until my first round of psionic training completes so I can fight psionic aliens better rather than intentionally cripple my soldiers.  Especially since I'm guessing you really want heavy lasers for sectopods, and those probably aren't mind control safe.  Even laser rifles aren't really mind control safe.  Only comparatively so when thinking of heavy plasma.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #21910 on: October 29, 2019, 03:13:17 am »

Wait, is this OldCOM or NewCOM? Because OldCOM laser rifles were actually pretty sweet, if only because a lot of enemies do in fact have a weakness to laser damage. And, I mean, infinite ammo maaaaaan...

Lasers are perfectly viable throughout the game with a bit of doing, but heavy plasma will of course always have that little extra kick to it.

This was all turned around for TFTD, where not only do gauss weapons require ammunition, but every goddamn fish-fucker is either resistant or really goddamn resistant to gauss damage. I don't think there's a single enemy that's actually weak to gauss, as opposed to landCom where a few are weak to lasers and the resistant ones are actually fairly rare.

Khan Boyzitbig

• Bay Watcher
  • [THOUGHTS:CHAOTIC] [ACTUALLY A SWAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #21911 on: October 29, 2019, 04:13:09 am »

I mean there is mention of ethereals with weapons, newCom ethereals don't carry any physical weapons. They are also less dangerous in comparison and tend to only arrive in ones or twos apart from the final mission.
////;::;\\\\ Scuttle Scuttle...

Milk for the Khorneflakes!

Luminous Bolt of Bacon
"Excuse me sir, You are on Fire."

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21912 on: October 29, 2019, 10:22:21 am »

Yeah, was Open X-COM.  I really have been contemplating just giving everyone laser rifles, and if I ever somehow start running low on heavy plasma ammo I may do that.  I read that flying suits are immune to laser pistols so I'm somewhat tempted to give everyone laser pistols so that mind control isn't dangerous to me, but I'm really not sure if laser pistols are strong enough to take on late game enemies.  I suspect it can be done, but would probably be arduous.  Even if sectopods are weak to laser damage, their armor is still probably strong enough to stop most of a laser pistol's damage even from the rear.

Mathel

• Bay Watcher
  • A weird guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21913 on: October 29, 2019, 11:14:56 am »

I am assuming unmodded. Laser Rifles are a decent weapon through the whole game. Fast enough to kill most things in one round, accurate enough to hit them reliably, strong enough to pierce any armor.

As a bonus, mechanical aliens (Cyberdiscs and Sectopodes) are weak to LASER damage.

Even with the weakness, I suspect a Sectopod could deflect a Laser Pistol beam on front armor. Also, they are too inaccurate to shoot across the map with them.
Edit: Should have read the whole post before commenting on it.
Even if sectopods are weak to laser damage, their armor is still probably strong enough to stop most of a laser pistol's damage even from the rear.
Edit continues:
But a word of warning. Front of Flying suit stops any Laser Pistol damage. The sides have 1/46 chance of letting 1 or 2 damage through and taking 1 armor damage, the back has 3/23 chance of being pierced with 12 damage max. on first shot, the bottom has 11/46 chance of being pierced with up to 22 damage on first shot.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2019, 11:21:51 am by Mathel »
The shield beats the sword.
Urge to drink milk while eating steak wrapped with bacon rising...
Outer planes are not subject to any laws of physics that would prevent them from doing their job.
Better than the heavenly host eating your soul.

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #21914 on: October 29, 2019, 05:09:21 pm »

Maybe my character is just horribly crippled and I haven't realised it yet, but Fallout 1 is way harder than I remember. Getting ambushed by a bunch of guys with knives and dying, while realistic, is not what I expected. I seem to remember the 10mm SMG turning crowds into hamburger with very little effort.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.
Pages: 1 ... 1459 1460 [1461] 1462 1463 ... 1570