Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1466 1467 [1468] 1469 1470 ... 1472

Author Topic: How did you last die?  (Read 1474370 times)

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How did you last die?
« Reply #22005 on: December 21, 2019, 12:58:19 pm »

I'm not certain if it's actually coded that way, but I've been able to finish every map with units at full health/no buildings destroyed with the each of the default teams.

I found that the most important thing to consider is positioning: Disrupt their hits, move them into each other's line of fire, shove them into a pit, etc.

Enemy movements are fairly predictable once you get the hang of it... EtB's one of my favorite quickie tacticals precisely because everything is very orderly and logical, with very little randomness that puts you into the 'screwed over' territory.
Stench Guzman: Fix this quote, please.

Sentient Bowtie

• Bay Watcher
  • ...For that is your fate. The fate of the cursed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22006 on: December 21, 2019, 01:35:56 pm »

Enemy targeting honestly seems to be random half of the time. If my mechs and grid buildings are in the way, it's a tossup on which they decide to go for, and that can be a problem against five or so Vek at once.
So far two babies have been born as a result from all the close action in the barracks.
You can't fuck a cartoon because cartoons are in two dimensions and you'd slice your dick off due to having touched the incredibly slight area of contact with any amount of force.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22007 on: December 21, 2019, 04:46:07 pm »

Dropped my M1911 in two successive runs through the killhouse. First time, I couldn't even find where I dropped it, second time, I couldn't reach low enough(my floor was in the way) to pick it back up.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #22008 on: December 21, 2019, 04:54:50 pm »

Enemy targeting honestly seems to be random half of the time. If my mechs and grid buildings are in the way, it's a tossup on which they decide to go for, and that can be a problem against five or so Vek at once.
It pretty much is.  The game's design is to force you to choose between two undesirable outcomes, its kind of utilitarian like that.  (is it better to let bugs destroy 2 buildings or destroy one yourself?  how much is a pilot's life worth?)

Usually if you look hard there's a third option tho.  As long as your team has some way to reposition vek usually you can get them to kill each other, target empty tiles, or just tank hits with your mechs.

When you're positioning your mechs don't think so much about predicting your enemies so much as "what is the worst thing they could do".  So don't stick your mechs on one side of the map if a ranged enemy can shoot a building from the other side, don't leave mechs in range of the webber enemies unless they have a melee attack, try to set up your mechs so if the monsters target them they won't "accidentally" be hitting a building too.  And just use your head.  The game tells you what enemies are on each island, so if an island has an enemy that's difficult to block (the tunneling worms, the lobbing crabs) don't go there unless you can shield/freeze buildings or you have an attack that counters it.  Likewise don't go against the enemies that summon rocks unless you have AoE.

Oh and block emerging vek.  Ideally don't do it with your mechs, do it with other vek.  Very efficient.  Failing that light the tiles where they're going to emerge on fire.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

MCreeper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22009 on: December 22, 2019, 06:39:34 am »

Future death in CHivalry medieval warfare:
I'm a complete noob, and i'm going to play as slinger with rocks and hunting knife. I know the results well.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #22010 on: December 22, 2019, 12:15:50 pm »

I think I've played four ladder matches today. I've lost all of them.

I think I'm learning, but it's still kinda annoying losing so much.

StarCraft: Brood War.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
You wanted the world; we'll bury you there.
This is a battle; we are the blade / And this is the line, this is the line.
All that they build we will break / This is the line.

MCreeper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22011 on: December 24, 2019, 03:31:07 pm »

MCreeper was killed by bighorner sheep.

One would think that stone spear is enough to kill a damn sheep. Not in this game. Even a lamb takes 7 hits from flint spear to kill.  :o

Vintage story.

FE Fates:
Grrrrr. I so enjoy this game, just not when i get stuck for few days on a single mission. Mission 11 for Hoshido. Did you enjoy shuffling your troops about for 30 minutes with animations disabled? Revealing level 4 Satsuna and Hayato as crazy murderbone machines of death, who just slaughter every enemy in sight? Yah, yah. Now defend yourself from ceaseless torrent of steel axe wyvern riders, with a few oneshot-happy promoteds strewn in, while quite likely being stuck in a completely atrocious position.
It's already fourth time this blasted thing gets me.  ::)
« Last Edit: December 25, 2019, 08:21:45 am by MCreeper »

Sentient Bowtie

• Bay Watcher
  • ...For that is your fate. The fate of the cursed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22012 on: December 24, 2019, 04:05:08 pm »

Yeah, Chapter 11 is a pretty big hill, even off the back of 10. The ninjas. They haunt me to this day.
So far two babies have been born as a result from all the close action in the barracks.
You can't fuck a cartoon because cartoons are in two dimensions and you'd slice your dick off due to having touched the incredibly slight area of contact with any amount of force.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22013 on: December 24, 2019, 06:54:27 pm »

Felt pretty stupid after realizing why half my population was employed: they wouldn't walk down the street to the bus stop to get to work. I was able to remedy that by installing footpaths between their tenements to shorten the walking distance. Now I only have 1/6 of my population unemployed since the furthest ones still cannot reach the bus station.

They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #22014 on: December 24, 2019, 07:02:07 pm »

Stage 12 or 13, so the third loop all but done, doing great, murdering pretty much everything despite the screen being literally covered in enemies. My attack speed is so high at this point that there is no individual attacks, merely a stream of bullets. I have become one with the BRRRRRT.

And then the fucking windows lock up and I lose an hour and a half long run :I

"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • The brochure sure didn't mention any of this shit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22015 on: December 25, 2019, 09:37:38 pm »

My E key seems to work fine. I press it, it works, the sort of thing you'd expect from a key.

Now, even if I don't wind up staring at the ball and not at Kiryu...

even if I don't wind up pressing when it's too late to actually hit the ball...

even if I don't wind up freaking out and pressing the key early...

It feels as though sometimes I press the E key and it doesn't register. Lightly tapping the button works just fine for the rest of the game, why can't that work here, too?

All those things have made me grow to despise the batting center.

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #22016 on: December 29, 2019, 08:47:18 am »

After much tweaking and reloading, I finally built an atmospheric plane for use in Kerbin-bound science. I decided to be daring and actually land the plane like a plane, as opposed to killing its horizontal speed and using parachutes.

It seems like I'm about to touch the ground evenly and coast to a stop, but 9/10ths of my plane explodes on contact. All that's left is the cockpit, elevators and a single wheel, skidding along the ground like a mecha unicycle.

Valentina (somehow) survived, but the loss of the plane more than negated the gains from that contract. So essentially, I did that mission at a loss and didn't even get to land the plane.

Kerbal Space Program.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.
I make games

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22017 on: December 29, 2019, 09:02:53 am »

How fast were you going? Sounds like you were going too fast for the landing gear to handle the impact force. You should also be slightly pitched up when you make contact with the ground instead of flat, so as to not overstress the forward wheel(s) or even flip forward over them.

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #22018 on: December 29, 2019, 09:37:24 am »

How fast were you going? Sounds like you were going too fast for the landing gear to handle the impact force. You should also be slightly pitched up when you make contact with the ground instead of flat, so as to not overstress the forward wheel(s) or even flip forward over them.

I wasn't looking at the moment of impact, but I'm guessing it was between 100 and 200 meters per second. Also, using the very cheapest tier 1 plane parts, so the landing gear wasn't that great.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.
I make games

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #22019 on: December 29, 2019, 12:05:30 pm »

Tehenhauin start on the Vortex map. You start off at war with some skaven ratbois to your west, fairly numerous with two-three armies gunning for you in the first couple of turns but it's manageable. Take two of their settlements (both minor ones) before Lokhir decides he wants to stomp my face too, but I figure, the skaven are no longer a threat, they maybe have a minor settlement further to the north-west and Khalida will probably be the end of them sooner or later. So i get my army back to my province capital to recover a bit before taking on Lokhir and his several armies that have gathered on my borders.

Suddenly, a full fucking stack of goddamn skaven pop up from the west, complete with bloody stormvermin, plagueclaw catapults and a number of other nasty, high-tier things. Naturally I lose both settlements I took before being able to get to them and then my army rolls over and dies because of course it fucking would :I

I get that Tehenhauin is supposed to have a hard start, but maybe make that a challenge without relying on making every one of your neighbours have a giant hateboner for you and be a cheating asshole who pulls lategame comps out of their ass.

"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG
Pages: 1 ... 1466 1467 [1468] 1469 1470 ... 1472