Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1463 1464 [1465] 1466 1467 ... 1570

Author Topic: How did you last die?  (Read 2244770 times)

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How did you last die?
« Reply #21960 on: November 22, 2019, 10:14:01 pm »

This is probably one of my most unexpected early game roguelike deaths: I started in a random village, hit autoexplore that ran me into a puddle of slime, adjacent to a friendly mushroom suddenly emitting a cloud of poisonous spores, and I failed so many consecutive rolls to move that I couldn't get out of the corner before it whittled me down.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Stench Guzman: Fix this quote, please.
Now celebrating: Two and a half years misquoted. Seriously man. Just fix it. -_-

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
  • Trans fucking rights, baby.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21961 on: November 22, 2019, 10:50:26 pm »

My first character had just died of stress from the position. His realm was by no means in a bad spot, and his son could easily bring their line more land and power after taking the throne. I ready myself for a new age and hit the spacebar...

...and my second character dies of long-standing gout the day after his father.

Crusader Kings 2
Black lives matter.

Dostoevsky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21962 on: November 22, 2019, 10:55:39 pm »

This is probably one of my most unexpected early game roguelike deaths: I started in a random village, hit autoexplore that ran me into a puddle of slime, adjacent to a friendly mushroom suddenly emitting a cloud of poisonous spores, and I failed so many consecutive rolls to move that I couldn't get out of the corner before it whittled me down.

Gotta say, I think Caves of Qud tops my rankings of 'easiest to die within first 3 minutes' for a roguelike.

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21963 on: November 23, 2019, 12:34:20 am »

Gotta say, I think Caves of Qud tops my rankings of 'easiest to die within first 3 minutes' for a roguelike.

Certainly for interesting deaths... but my stupidest early game deaths still go to ADoM (the version that was stable for years) and Nethack: On the former, the very first thing I did was enter the... Nondescript Cave(?) and open an unlocked trapped door that exploded in my face, killing me. The latter? I opened the door to the room I started on, and a rock fell on my head (which could've been avoided by opening on the diagonal, so this is a facepalm of an avoidable death).
Stench Guzman: Fix this quote, please.
Now celebrating: Two and a half years misquoted. Seriously man. Just fix it. -_-

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #21964 on: November 23, 2019, 04:26:09 pm »

I got into Zanzibar Land with only 4 Life left. I die as soon as an enemy spots me, basically. I find the level 1 card and some IR goggles, but I never keep them for long before I get spotted and killed.

On one of my many, many attempts, I finally make it to a ration without getting killed. Snake says "I can't carry anymore." Wha?

I had three rations in my inventory the entire time.

Metal Gear 2 MSX.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Perhaps I'll
    • View Profile
« Reply #21965 on: November 27, 2019, 01:26:06 am »

Player 1: "You have one heart. Just eat the ham."
Player 2 "I refuse."
Player 1: "You little shit."

Player 2: *Dies*

Down at the bottom of the ocean. Beneath tons of brine which would crush you down. Not into broken and splintered flesh, but into thin soup. Into just more of the sea water. Where things live that aren't so different from you, but you will never live to touch them and they will never live to touch you.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21966 on: November 27, 2019, 07:52:28 am »

Was very bad at stealth, and got mobbed. Autosave was in the middle of the firefight. I actually survived that the second go, but I died a little inside when I found my primary target floating a few hundred feet in the air, climbing an invisible ladder. I shot him in the leg, shattering his thigh bone and dropping him to the ground. I was promptly given the "all clear", implying that he was the only one who could give my position away from his lofty height.

They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21967 on: November 27, 2019, 12:08:14 pm »

Disgaea 5. I've not really bothered to intentionally grind anything (even the hospital) yet, except hitting the jump button a few times once I saw there was a trophy for jumping (and therefore, a way for me to jump). The keyboard controls aren't well-explained.

That means most normal fights someone (frequently me) kills about 1/4 of the units I field in any given fight, and up to 90% in boss battles. I'm obviously falling behind the power curve, but I don't want to do anything about it until I unlock the item world.

Also, I was able to add an evility (perk) to any character that doubles the value of what you spend on them at the hospital for gaining prizes. I put it on the H252 prinny (big exploding demon penguin), after I stopped just throwing it at the start of most battles. That may contribute to my "not killing stuff fast enough to not get killed" as well as being a brain genius plan to avoid using the nice thing I got (the evility).

Easiest to die in an interesting way.

Sime

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21968 on: November 27, 2019, 05:58:23 pm »

42 Days of This War is Mine, starting with Pavle, Zlata, Cveta and Anton.  Only Anton  the  old and useless maths professor survived, who  contributed practically nothing.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21969 on: November 29, 2019, 08:32:44 pm »

A room filled with nobles, but as soon as I stepped in, various sentries jumped me. Even after dispatching them, flying sentries flew in. I hate the flying sentries, and I especially hate the ones with the lances. I died so many times in that room... which means that every time I tried again, I also had to deal with my past failure as well.

They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #21970 on: November 30, 2019, 08:18:58 am »

TripleA , very good open source remake of the old Axis&Allies board game, with and against AI (and lot of maps and modded maps to download).

Using the american side of the Allies, i lost a lot of naval units when i decided to attack the japanese fleet blob (i hoped my superior number of submarines would make a difference sadly the unlucky dice rolls decided otherwise :D ) still managed to retreat my 2 battleships and an aircraft carrier but the hit was nasty as it delayed a very lot my grand project there.

The japanese fleet later disembarked troops in Alaska and annihilated my defenses there , but i had enough tanks and infantry on main land to travel and retake Alaska, the japanese fleet without troops to invade had to go home.

On the another part of the Pacific my transport ships managed to bring troops to take Wake Island then Okinawa losing only a couple of infantry.

On the atlantic front, the sea were clear as the british had done a good job there, but they were failing hard in Europe, losing lot of ground to Germany numerous troops. The russian were mostly resisting the german advance on their front but were not really doing a good job at resisting the Japan army moves

I noticed that Italy was very weakly defended by the german AI, and an important thing in Italy was the presence of a factory (meaning you can build units in that location) , so i assembled my transport ships and managed to carry a lots of infantry troopers there (takes 2 turns to travel from USA to Italy), we disembarked and conquered Italy without losses.
Ah the factory, sadly i was ignoring a rule point : you need to wait a turn to use a factory you just conquered, meaning my end turn purchased troops couldn't be put there i only had factories in american ground, my invading squads were then alone to defend Italy and it would take 2 turns to get any kind of reinforcement.

With the turn order i hoped the Russia AI would manage to get some success in order to keep the german legions at bay, unfortunately they failed to conquer their target and so Italy went on the recieving end of the invasion from a horribly huge amount of infantry and tanks that,  dices not helping me :D  , obliterated my defense, Italy was lost and that precious factory was back into Axis hands.

So i was building tanks and troops while my transport ships were back to atlantic side of the USA waiting for loading more troops , but i guess my AI allies had their share of bad luck because soon enough the Axis won by economic victory.

Damn.

« Last Edit: November 30, 2019, 08:35:11 am by Robsoie »

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
  • Trans fucking rights, baby.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21971 on: November 30, 2019, 12:07:52 pm »

My current ruler lost a duel against his more skilled rival and died as a result, so his 12-year-old son inherited the realm with the man who hated his father as his regent. All was well for about a month, at which point he was taken out on a hunting trip and murdered, leaving his uncle with everything.

Crusader Kings 2. Pretty similar to my last post here, I think.
Black lives matter.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21972 on: November 30, 2019, 07:01:11 pm »

Picked up the <spoiler item> and decided to challenge a redux of the first boss.

...I was not ready to do that. At all.

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #21973 on: December 01, 2019, 02:18:17 am »

Oblivion inexplicably makes Martin not invincible during the part he's most likely to die, despite having invincible NPCs all over the place in every other part of the game.

On top of this, there's a dremora that almost always spawns with a paralyzing sword. He can chainsaw any amount of fodder lag spikes soldiers in a matter of seconds, then Martin gets wombo combo'd and it's game over.

Everybody clusters around one or two enemies at a time, so it's impossible to help without whacking a friendly. This turns everybody hostile if I kill more than one friendly, as well as leaving me naked and unarmed (Crusader's Armor is a joy.)

I've already lowered the slider twice, I'm about to just put it all the way on the "easy" side so I can play the game past this point.

TES4: Oblivion.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21974 on: December 01, 2019, 09:13:22 am »

Been a while since I played, so I went and did the tutorial again. At one point, it asks to send me a large number of forces to reinforce a city in the south of China. I get the names of two cities mixed up and send the reinforcements to Hangzhou, which was actively under attack by the Japanese. After realizing the mistake that I was supposed to send them to Haikou, which is on an island. I immediately dispatch the required troops.

...And they immediately get onto unarmed boats and sail right into the Japanese battleships. That were clearly visible from port.

Pages: 1 ... 1463 1464 [1465] 1466 1467 ... 1570