Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1467 1468 [1469] 1470 1471 ... 1570

Author Topic: How did you last die?  (Read 2244554 times)

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How did you last die?
« Reply #22020 on: December 12, 2019, 04:25:21 pm »

Body quality is based off of the number of skulls a body has.

While I get that they're just being used as a score indicator, my sleep deprived mind is enjoying that idea far too much: "Head of an elder dragon? One skull, one point. Giant sack of dead rats? That'll be five hundred for you. You saved the kingdom from an infestation of giant death worms?... You know worms don't have skulls, right?"
Stench Guzman: Fix this quote, please.
Now celebrating: Two and a half years misquoted. Seriously man. Just fix it. -_-

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22021 on: December 12, 2019, 07:58:43 pm »

That feeling when you realize you may be a bit too fat to use the hip holsters.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
  • Trans fucking rights, baby.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22022 on: December 12, 2019, 08:21:12 pm »

Jesus Christ, it happened again. Ruler dies, son takes over, son almost immediately dies of a disease. This game really hates me sometimes.

Crusader Kings 2
Black lives matter.

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #22023 on: December 13, 2019, 06:28:42 am »

I acquired a 3000+ gold bounty by killing the Manic residents of Split. I didn't realize that this had incurred a bounty until over an hour later, after lighting the flame of Agnon.

Feeling confident, I tried to resist arrest.

It's one thing to shoot a staff at Golden Saints from high ground where they can't path to you; it's another thing to get cornered by five of them at once.

TESIV: Oblivion.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22024 on: December 17, 2019, 08:08:56 pm »

Bots are... absolutely ridiculous. Instant perfect aim from dozens of meters away, and the ability to land grenades in spots that should be physically impossible to hit. And that's after the long time I took in figuring out how to run the game without it killing my headset's drivers, forcing me to unplug/replug the headset cables to restart it.

They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #22025 on: December 18, 2019, 04:36:19 am »

Dozens of meters? Pfft. Go play Battlefield 1942 and enjoy the horror of sniper bots that weren't handicapped at all.

They're so far away you can't even see their model, but they can pop your head the moment there's a clear line of sight. The only counter is taking a tank on an adventure or waiting for your side to spawn a sniper bot of its own and hope they get the first shot...

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22026 on: December 20, 2019, 08:39:08 am »

I tried Into the Rift by the FTL people.

First run, I made it to the first boss with 1 health/grid left. Second and third runs I quit because I was losing units and most of the grid in the first 2 areas. The last time was because all of the enemies spawned on the opposite side of a bunch of buildings, so I couldn't possibly get to them before they destroyed most of the town.

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22027 on: December 20, 2019, 09:17:06 am »

I finally clear two islands and make it to the final boss level. The last turn before I win move on to part 2, I let an Alpha Wasp and a Firefly eat 5 grid points at once and leave myself with a laughable single point. Unfortunately, when part 2 begins, I assess the situation and find I am physically incapable of not losing immediately upon the start of the enemy turn.

There are two of the projectile-lobbing enemies I don't remember the name of targeting pylons, a Beetle Leader targeting my artillery mech, and a Scorpion, also targeting a pylon. The two projectile enemies have positioned themselves in such a way that my push-units-adjacent-one-tile-away mech is unable to push them out of line from their target. They have infinite range in cardinal directions and shoot over obstacles, so the only way to get them to miss is to push them into an adjacent row/column, but both enemies are surrounded by objects that makes it impossible to do so. I can only move them up or down in their current row/column, which is useless. I would kill one of them outright with my damage-enemies-and-push-them-one-tile-in-the-direction-I-shot mech, but the pushing part will shove its corpse into an adjacent pylon anyway, damaging it and immediately losing me the game.

The Beetle Leader is set to charge forward towards my artillery mech as I said, which presents three unique problems. If I don't move that mech, which can survive the hit, I'll be sacrificing a pylon to something else. If I do move, the Beetle will continue on into my next mech (the jump-over-and-bomb plane), which will immediately die. If I move that mech, which I need to do to kill disable something else, the Beetle will instead charge directly into the pylon standing behind the plane, losing me the game. I could use the adjacent-pushy mech to make it charge into the bomb I'm supposed to protect, but then I won't have that mech's utility for the other three enemies and am nowhere closer to success.

And the Scorpion...? It's a Scorpion. They web things and then whack them on the next turn. Not complicated, but I have no way of disabling it without wasting a precious mech. Similar to the two artillery enemies I can't just park something in front of it, but that's because there's already something in front of it - its target, a pylon.

Four enemies. Four grid pylon targets which, when damaged, lose me energy. One energy point. 18% chance of the pylons taking no damage and therefore of my survival no matter how I slice it. Part 2 of the end of the run was doomed from the moment I hit start.

same game as above (which is Into the Breach, ftr)

« Last Edit: December 20, 2019, 09:28:32 am by Sentient Bowtie »
Black lives matter.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22028 on: December 20, 2019, 10:04:09 am »

I finally clear two islands and make it to the final boss level. The last turn before I win move on to part 2, I let an Alpha Wasp and a Firefly eat 5 grid points at once and leave myself with a laughable single point. Unfortunately, when part 2 begins, I assess the situation and find I am physically incapable of not losing immediately upon the start of the enemy turn.

There are two of the projectile-lobbing enemies I don't remember the name of targeting pylons, a Beetle Leader targeting my artillery mech, and a Scorpion, also targeting a pylon. The two projectile enemies have positioned themselves in such a way that my push-units-adjacent-one-tile-away mech is unable to push them out of line from their target. They have infinite range in cardinal directions and shoot over obstacles, so the only way to get them to miss is to push them into an adjacent row/column, but both enemies are surrounded by objects that makes it impossible to do so. I can only move them up or down in their current row/column, which is useless. I would kill one of them outright with my damage-enemies-and-push-them-one-tile-in-the-direction-I-shot mech, but the pushing part will shove its corpse into an adjacent pylon anyway, damaging it and immediately losing me the game.

The Beetle Leader is set to charge forward towards my artillery mech as I said, which presents three unique problems. If I don't move that mech, which can survive the hit, I'll be sacrificing a pylon to something else. If I do move, the Beetle will continue on into my next mech (the jump-over-and-bomb plane), which will immediately die. If I move that mech, which I need to do to kill disable something else, the Beetle will instead charge directly into the pylon standing behind the plane, losing me the game. I could use the adjacent-pushy mech to make it charge into the bomb I'm supposed to protect, but then I won't have that mech's utility for the other three enemies and am nowhere closer to success.

And the Scorpion...? It's a Scorpion. They web things and then whack them on the next turn. Not complicated, but I have no way of disabling it without wasting a precious mech. Similar to the two artillery enemies I can't just park something in front of it, but that's because there's already something in front of it - its target, a pylon.

Four enemies. Four grid pylon targets which, when damaged, lose me energy. One energy point. 18% chance of the pylons taking no damage and therefore of my survival no matter how I slice it. Part 2 of the end of the run was doomed from the moment I hit start.

same game as above (which is Into the Breach, ftr)

I had a similar issue with "I need to move this bug, but then they'll run into a building, and I can't handle the damage from that."

I feel like there is a way to predict where the enemy will move, and use that to make your artillery mech the most useful. I do not know how to do that yet.

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22029 on: December 21, 2019, 12:58:19 pm »

I'm not certain if it's actually coded that way, but I've been able to finish every map with units at full health/no buildings destroyed with the each of the default teams.

I found that the most important thing to consider is positioning: Disrupt their hits, move them into each other's line of fire, shove them into a pit, etc.

Enemy movements are fairly predictable once you get the hang of it... EtB's one of my favorite quickie tacticals precisely because everything is very orderly and logical, with very little randomness that puts you into the 'screwed over' territory.
Stench Guzman: Fix this quote, please.
Now celebrating: Two and a half years misquoted. Seriously man. Just fix it. -_-

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22030 on: December 21, 2019, 01:35:56 pm »

Enemy targeting honestly seems to be random half of the time. If my mechs and grid buildings are in the way, it's a tossup on which they decide to go for, and that can be a problem against five or so Vek at once.
Black lives matter.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22031 on: December 21, 2019, 04:46:07 pm »

Dropped my M1911 in two successive runs through the killhouse. First time, I couldn't even find where I dropped it, second time, I couldn't reach low enough(my floor was in the way) to pick it back up.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #22032 on: December 21, 2019, 04:54:50 pm »

Enemy targeting honestly seems to be random half of the time. If my mechs and grid buildings are in the way, it's a tossup on which they decide to go for, and that can be a problem against five or so Vek at once.
It pretty much is.  The game's design is to force you to choose between two undesirable outcomes, its kind of utilitarian like that.  (is it better to let bugs destroy 2 buildings or destroy one yourself?  how much is a pilot's life worth?)

Usually if you look hard there's a third option tho.  As long as your team has some way to reposition vek usually you can get them to kill each other, target empty tiles, or just tank hits with your mechs.

When you're positioning your mechs don't think so much about predicting your enemies so much as "what is the worst thing they could do".  So don't stick your mechs on one side of the map if a ranged enemy can shoot a building from the other side, don't leave mechs in range of the webber enemies unless they have a melee attack, try to set up your mechs so if the monsters target them they won't "accidentally" be hitting a building too.  And just use your head.  The game tells you what enemies are on each island, so if an island has an enemy that's difficult to block (the tunneling worms, the lobbing crabs) don't go there unless you can shield/freeze buildings or you have an attack that counters it.  Likewise don't go against the enemies that summon rocks unless you have AoE.

Oh and block emerging vek.  Ideally don't do it with your mechs, do it with other vek.  Very efficient.  Failing that light the tiles where they're going to emerge on fire.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

MCreeper

• Bay Watcher
  • My bus is late
    • View Profile
« Reply #22033 on: December 22, 2019, 06:39:34 am »

Future death in CHivalry medieval warfare:
I'm a complete noob, and i'm going to play as slinger with rocks and hunting knife. I know the results well.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #22034 on: December 22, 2019, 12:15:50 pm »

I think I've played four ladder matches today. I've lost all of them.

I think I'm learning, but it's still kinda annoying losing so much.

StarCraft: Brood War.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.
Pages: 1 ... 1467 1468 [1469] 1470 1471 ... 1570