Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1473 1474 [1475] 1476 1477 ... 1570

Author Topic: How did you last die?  (Read 2245090 times)

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
Re: How did you last die?
« Reply #22110 on: January 28, 2020, 09:20:25 am »

Slapped to death by a rhynoc with a parasol while trying to climb the mountain as Bentley.  I forgot how hard this part was, since the rhynocs have the same range as you do, meaning you have to have almost perfect timing.  And there are a lot of them...

On the other hand, I managed to box the yeti on my first try, and even got the skill point for beating him in 2 rounds.  They clearly made this part easier, since you have more health than the yeti, or do more damage.  It at least makes it feasible to beat it when skill is irrelevant.

Then the game crashed when I tried to enter Fireworks Factory, which is a little unsettling.  Hopefully it didn't corrupt my save file or anything, since I decided to call it a night then.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22111 on: January 28, 2020, 01:22:34 pm »

That's alright. Nothing to see there.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #22112 on: January 28, 2020, 11:23:15 pm »

My first campaign on expert went pretty well.  Some minor rng issues with the first few fights, where money and manpower is quite tight, and skills are unhoned.  We rapidly recovered and with some crafty use of caravan jobs I was leveled up a full squad with mostly chainmail by day 30.  On day 41 I went to clean out a barbarian camp.  6 reavers, who I suspect must get upgraded on day 40 like bandits do.  Because, while I admit I misjudged my situation, the barbs reamed us.  Hard.

With the deserters start I never had good morale to begin with, but once a few went down to the giant skullhammers the rest decided to flee.  8 deaths later the 6 surviving members of limp into town.  All are livid, all but 3 are bloodied to death.

Several drinks later I begin the travel to the south.  Alps jump me, and on top of wounded and pissed off, the troops now have a gimmicky fight that's grindy too.  But, because of my deserters origin, we move first, meaning the alps spawn their nightmares at the end of turn one, and then they all attack turn 2.  We were boned, as we couldn't kill them fast enough to keep up.

Long story short:  Deserters fled east, made a decent name for themselves trading and caravan guarding, got fucked up in a canon, de-facto barbarian fighting circle, then the survivors got ambushed by night haunting boogey men.

Such is life.  Made a good story.  The increased difficulty making money certainly puts more pressure on me.

Battle Brothers.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22113 on: January 28, 2020, 11:29:15 pm »

Killed by a gang of monstrous space rats and an evil space goat that stun locked me.

I did at least get the pleasure of watching a space rat kill a purge trooper just before, which was satisfying.

The puzzle that I had to solve afterward took 30x as long as it should, partly since BD-1's hints were completely useless.

"There's a sphere in that lantern!"

"You need to burn the vines!"

"You can use the metal in the candles to your advantage!"

That last one was the real hint I needed but so utterly vague I had to google the solution.  Then I felt like an idiot.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22114 on: January 29, 2020, 02:16:00 pm »

My 2 day old campaign ended after I was sent to find an old crypt at night and the resident vampires took poorly to the intrusion.

Battle Brothers
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22115 on: January 31, 2020, 02:11:42 pm »

Killed by two zabraks with glowing sticks.  I should have known I was going to die since it was a new enemy.

Relevant Video

What bugs me about fights with people in this game is that so many of them get unblockable attacks when you can block things like a punch from a jotaz.  And that usually you have just barely not enough time to react to unblockable attacks.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22116 on: January 31, 2020, 03:05:04 pm »

glad Ferrell got his gay dick joke in his little video . .  .
PKs DF Mod!

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22117 on: January 31, 2020, 04:40:29 pm »

On MY youtube? *shocked*

pikachu17

• Bay Watcher
  • PADORU PADORU
    • View Profile
« Reply #22118 on: January 31, 2020, 05:00:35 pm »

On MY youtube? *shocked*
Congratulations on becoming the owner of Youtube.
Sigtext!
dwarf 4tress from scratch
The Pikachu revolution!
Thank you NatureGirl19999 for the avatar switcher at http://signavatar.com

A warforged bard named Gender appears and says"Hello. I am a social construct."

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #22119 on: January 31, 2020, 09:19:51 pm »

I built a rover for Duna, but the Eve launch window came up first so I changed plans. Little did I know, Eve is comically deadly to land on.

A powered reentry failed when the engine exploded and nothing remained to protect the rest of the craft.

A powered reentry with radiators and extra chutes failed much the same way, but slower.

Currently I'm trying with just a heat shield, having given up on preserving the descent vehicle. It's going to take several very shallow passes, and 4x time acceleration is the fastest I can go at this altitude. This is going to take forever and I have a bad feeling about it anyway.

Kerbal Space Program.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2020, 09:26:03 pm by itisnotlogical »
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22120 on: February 02, 2020, 01:40:08 pm »

I've never tried to land on Eve, so what's so difficult?  Does it have a very thick atmosphere?

Man, I never even really mastered landing on Duna, since the game doesn't tell you anything about launch windows and you had to look them up yourself online.  I only got so far as to have a flyby mission that made it back to Kerbin by the skin of its teeth.  I don't think I had to get Jeb to get out and push that time, but it was close.

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #22121 on: February 03, 2020, 12:54:38 am »

The atmosphere is extremely dense and gravity is super high, so you heat up EXTREMELY quickly if your descent is a hair too steep. Everybody gangsta until the heat shield overheats, and all that.

You don't really need to hit a launch window, it just saves time that you would spend in orbit waiting for an opportunity. (There's a plus button on maneuver widgets, which you can use to schedule a maneuver several orbits in advance.) It would matter if you had a life support mod or something, not so much in the vanilla game. It ended up taking something like five in-game years to drop off a single satellite and return, because I spent so much time circling the sun waiting for everything to be just right.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22122 on: February 03, 2020, 09:32:14 am »

You don't really need to hit a launch window, it just saves time that you would spend in orbit waiting for an opportunity. (There's a plus button on maneuver widgets, which you can use to schedule a maneuver several orbits in advance.)

Also, a lot of fuel, which adds weight. Or, like I remember doing years ago, you need to crash land on the target planet because you don't have enough fuel to make it around the object, let alone make a return trip, because the fuel calculator assumed you'd hit the window instead of seeing it coming up, loading up the rocket, and managing to launch well after you needed to. Actual planning tools would be nice. Mods have probably caught up, but no game should need that much duct tape to be playable.

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #22123 on: February 03, 2020, 09:46:49 am »

I've been playing totally vanilla and never felt the need for any more tools than what the game provides. It takes some practice and some trial and error, sure, but if that's what constitutes "unplayable" then I guess the majority of games old and new are also unplayable and need duct tape.

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22124 on: February 03, 2020, 10:02:56 am »

In case you'd like to be a little faster at making launch windows happen, here's a nifty trick:

KSP Launch Window Planner

This neat calculator is very powerful, very simple, and I use it all the time when trying to get from point A to point B without a stop at point C, where point C involves some amount of rapid unplanned disassembly.

I recommend using it, time-warping to a few hours before the correct time, then setting up the maneuver node by entering exactly the amount of delta-V it tells you to (normal and then prograde) and using the "forward one orbit" button to adjust the maneuver node forwards in time until you get a path that KSP says will rendezvous with your target object. Fool around with it a bit if you'd like to get it down to whatever orbit you asked the calculator to give you, or just don't bother.

Then, warp to next maneuver and you're all set. Provided you've checked your staging, brought a heat shield, and have some parachutes, anyway.
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.
Pages: 1 ... 1473 1474 [1475] 1476 1477 ... 1570