Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1492 1493 [1494] 1495 1496 ... 1570

Author Topic: How did you last die?  (Read 2245125 times)

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How did you last die?
« Reply #22395 on: June 22, 2020, 07:23:23 am »

After several hours, 17 years in game time, I've scouted out from Sol. The one jump point in Sol led to Barnard's Star, which has no planets. The one other jump point in Barnard's Star led to WISE 0855-0714... which also has no planets and no other jump points. This effectively kills this game.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22396 on: June 22, 2020, 08:46:51 am »

I got freezelocked by freezeray turrets with one rifle turret slowly chipping away at my health in Caves of Qud. I almost escaped when one of the freezerays missed, but couldn't quite break free. I guess I should have gotten around to putting the wooly modifier on some of my stuff, especially as I was prepping for a trip to Bethesda Susa (which gets colder as you progress through it).

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #22397 on: June 22, 2020, 09:01:49 am »

After several hours, 17 years in game time, I've scouted out from Sol. The one jump point in Sol led to Barnard's Star, which has no planets. The one other jump point in Barnard's Star led to WISE 0855-0714... which also has no planets and no other jump points. This effectively kills this game.

You sure there's absolutely no other jump points in Sol?
SigFlags!
Fire Emblem on Forums: 8! + 6re!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22398 on: June 22, 2020, 09:11:09 am »

None. All systems are fully surveyed.

EDIT: Okay, I figured out how to SM new jump points. I wasn't sure it was working at first since the system view doesn't immediately show them unless you also SM a full gravsurvey for the system - even gravsurvey ships with standing orders won't find them.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2020, 12:32:12 pm by Akura »
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #22399 on: June 25, 2020, 09:20:18 am »

Playing Shadow of the Wyrm (SotW is a good ADoM-like roguelike, meaning you have an overworld map and each tiles of it can be entered at will, dungeons, castles, towns, npc to talk and get quests from , etc.. are to be found too).

After completing a few quests, clearing barrows and roaming around the dungeon in the island and killing some named uniques, i was feeling that my now level 13 human warrior was actually good, i could just use the boat to leave that starting island and go explore other ones in the world, or try to explore the upper section of the ruined castle northwest of the starting town.
As i got the keys from the locked doors in those upper sections

I decided to go there, thinking my strong warrior and his good damaging magic hammer (obtained as a quest reward) would be enough, i opened the first door.
A drakeling showed up immediately, firs time i spotted such creature, having no idea if it was any stronger than anything i faced so far.
Hammered the drakeling that didn't seemed to want to die, hmm ... i'll hit it a few more time , nope it didn't seem to die at all, my health was still going down.
Before i could wonder if i should just use my healing potion (no idea how much HP it can heal as i never used one yet) to keep hammering, 2 more drakelings showed up.

Ok, time to escape and go to the boat to grind more levels elsewhere and come back. So i ran to the stairs and noticed ... i can't climb them down. What the hell ? tried a few more time to go down until the 3 or 4 drakelings finally killed my character.

Wondering if it was some artificial difficulty "can't use stair when fighting" crap , i noticed that nope, there's a skill named Escape that i never leveled in the several level up and that purpose is to check if you can flee through combat.
Oh well, lesson learned : don't leave the Escape skill at its lowest starting value :D
« Last Edit: June 25, 2020, 09:27:49 am by Robsoie »

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22400 on: June 25, 2020, 03:08:41 pm »

Learned it's a really bad idea to use Bayonetta's aerial down-smash over a pit; she drops like a brick and it seems impossible to cancel.

Also learned I am terrible with Palutena. No, I didn't ragequit that match against a CPU Lv5 Pikachu, I had to go back to work. Seriously.

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
  • Trans fucking rights, baby.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22401 on: June 25, 2020, 04:24:38 pm »

It lasts 57 frames after you input it (almost a second of realtime), so if you're high enough up you can definitely survive after using it. Better save that jump, though.
Black lives matter.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22402 on: June 26, 2020, 12:26:31 am »

Nuclear Throne has a pretty cool weekly challenge going on currently. Starts as Melting, with an energy sword.   
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

MCreeper

• Bay Watcher
  • My bus is late
    • View Profile
« Reply #22403 on: June 26, 2020, 07:40:49 am »

Went AI because in this game Marignon is forever allied with Ermor.

Dominions 5.

Great Order

• Bay Watcher
  • [SCREAMS_INTERNALLY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #22404 on: June 26, 2020, 08:26:52 am »

I've not died, but I'm evacuating.

A massive mech cluster appeared. I'm still running around with Lee-Enfields and, at best, .303 AP-HE cartridges. I'm deconstructing everything important, packing my bags, and initiating my "migrate north" plan sooner than expected.

Rimworld

EDIT: Automortar strike directly on my stockpile. My FSX and prometheum went up in flames and took most of my resources with them.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2020, 09:09:55 am by Great Order »
I may have wasted all those years
They're not worth their time in tears
I may have spent too long in darkness
In the warmth of my fears

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22405 on: July 01, 2020, 09:53:09 am »

I've been trying to get the Watcher to defeat the 4th boss in Slay the Spire. I did manage to get it down to 12 hp before dying once (had calipers and kunai, 3 upgraded wishes, and 3-4 wallops in a 20-ish card deck), but missed block for a turn and took 100+ damage.

I either die to that boss, or have to choose between getting the third key from the campfire or surviving the third boss. The Watcher just doesn't have a good way to scale unless you have the expensive +energy power and the top (infinite cards) and probably also the calipers. The Ironclad can just play the +1 strength each turn forever card and/or the always keep all leftover block card with the 0-cost damage=your block card. Silent can use poison; with strange spoon and catalyst if you're impatient. Defect can probably do something, I beat that 4th boss, but never really liked defect in practice.

Dostoevsky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22406 on: July 01, 2020, 01:40:58 pm »

Industries on crapsack worlds really need to label their dangerously explosive structures better.

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
« Reply #22407 on: July 03, 2020, 08:01:23 pm »

Gas stations are infamous among the Brigador community.

If/when you get to making your own maps, don't forget to add at least one somewhere.

A massive exploding deathtrap (a fuel pipeline, for instance) is an acceptable substitute.

Great Order

• Bay Watcher
  • [SCREAMS_INTERNALLY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #22408 on: July 03, 2020, 11:43:25 pm »

Combat Extended doesn't play well with psionics sometimes.

I've savescummed because this death was completely moronic. I told my guy to skip an enemy so they'd be out in the open and shot to shit. To get in range he had to be out in the open.

So he decides he'll skip them, but first he HAS to reload. Headshot, brain destroyed, guy dead.

Rimworld
I may have wasted all those years
They're not worth their time in tears
I may have spent too long in darkness
In the warmth of my fears

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22409 on: July 05, 2020, 09:27:36 am »

I picked FTL back up because I was too tired for a new game. I was doing very well with the Engi B ship, having gained 2 humans and brought my pilot, engines, and shields up to 2 stars each. Then I hit an ion storm that knocked out my shields, weapons, and something else (drones?) while a beam drone took me apart. Full health to dead, because I couldn't do anything but sit there and die.
Pages: 1 ... 1492 1493 [1494] 1495 1496 ... 1570