Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1495 1496 [1497] 1498 1499 ... 1571

Author Topic: How did you last die?  (Read 2267300 times)

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
Re: How did you last die?
« Reply #22440 on: August 02, 2020, 05:33:51 am »

Does dying on the inside count? Because I had set up my first truck line to haul plastic and rubber from my oil expo to the main hub factory, damn thing actually completed the route without many problems, but then the idiot had to do the turn and park move to deposit the cargo at the terminal. Turns a bit earlier, smacks into the terminal, reverses off the platform and flips over. And I was standing there just watching it all unfold. So now I gotta redo the whole route because once you deconstruct the vehicle ( and that's the only way to flip it upright that I know of) you also lose the connected autopilot route.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

MCreeper

• Bay Watcher
  • My bus is late
    • View Profile
« Reply #22441 on: August 03, 2020, 07:35:11 am »

First day of work at Howl's creepy "old" "can i just have a proper girl-servant for once!?" mage's castle. There is a spittling violet tentacle-thing in a jar in a laboratory, i need to clean it up. First things first, i need to go to library and see how one deals with alchemized tentacle monsters. "Pour some mild acid at it. Take care to protect yourself from spittle... May explode when hit, blah-blah..." I fetched some vinegar from a kitchen then promptly forgot about protection. Of course, tentacle monster burned me with spittle when i poured vinegar at it, i dropped full bottle right at it and it exploded. As a result, i got severe burns, table was split in two, and lab was covered in tentacle-shreds. At this point i decided to restart.  :P
EDIT: Potion-making minigame. For the first two, recipes are always available while you make the potions and i screened them. For the third, recipe is not available after after the start and i didn't screen it. So potion turned out as nauseating bile.  ::)
FAKEEDIT: Damn, this thing is great. But yeah, it's just a half if not a quarter of it.
EDIT2: An year of work, 25% done and author already considers her game a thing of unparalleled variability? It will never get finished.  :P
« Last Edit: August 03, 2020, 03:41:35 pm by MCreeper »

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22442 on: August 06, 2020, 09:37:21 am »

I've been playing Metal Max off and on. It's an interesting JRPG for the NES (remade as Metal Max Returns for the SNES) with some randomness added in, tanks you can drive around in for most fights, and mostly nothing to keep you from going to later areas and coming back.

One of the cool things they do is choose a monster off a list of level-appropriate monsters for you to hunt. You can visit a special bounty shop in each town (also where you get rewards for the bosses you have killed) to get money based on how many of that monster you killed (double the money they normally drop), but if you have killed any when you level up, it changes to a new monster. That also means if you haven't killed any since you last turned them in, you're stuck with the same monster.

I lucked into a semi-common monster if you know where to find them, and they give good money/little xp, and have a chance at dropping fairly expensive tank equipment (which means peeling armor/hp off a tank, selling the heavy equipment, and then repairing at a great profit: about 8 gold worth of armor removed for a part you take back to town for 400 gold). That means I'm loaded for the point in the game I'm at.

It feels like a loss, though, because it's a lot of grinding for money that I don't need yet. And I'm either not powerful or good enough at the game yet to defeat either of the bosses in the area, including the one boss who blocks progress instead of being a bounty target. Back to the grind.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2020, 09:56:52 am by Iduno »

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #22443 on: August 06, 2020, 01:30:46 pm »

FYI metal max 3 on the DS got fantranz'd in the last year or so, if you hadn't already noticed. It's pretty delightful, heh.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Dostoevsky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22444 on: August 06, 2020, 01:46:15 pm »

Ooh, thanks. I have a soft spot for the series, even if the actual gameplay is kind of 'eh'. Not enough post-apocalyptic tank collecting games out there, I tells ya, and even fewer making it out of Japan.

As to last death, uh...

Driving down the road, notice some cultists up to no good up ahead. Get out of my car and start walking my way over using a modicum of stealth, only for a group of friendly militia driving by to panic at the sight of cultists, turn off the road and turn me into roadkill. Thanks guys.

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
« Reply #22445 on: August 08, 2020, 02:33:21 pm »

I had only two bars of torso health left, but I thought I could take out the shocker zombie and its two normal colleagues with my melee weapon (it was just a blackjack, but my bashing weapons skill was high).

Turns out, I couldn't.

Got shocked, which slowed me down, which allowed all three to take me down instead.

kingawsume

• Bay Watcher
  • Still wondering why orang man and meme man feud.
    • View Profile
    • Sig Text
« Reply #22446 on: August 08, 2020, 05:21:41 pm »

Got ganked because I was in an industrial ship. Warp got scrambled, then got blown to pieces by 2 missiles. Wasn't even hauling a lot.

Urist McZombie, werecarp, has taken form! A giant carp twisted into a humanoid form. Its eyes glow blue. Its fins are purple. Now you will know to fear the night.
"Problems with playing in evil biomes"

Mathel

• Bay Watcher
  • A weird guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22447 on: August 09, 2020, 01:32:04 am »

After following a fox back to Helgen, I started going to riverwood.
On the way, I saw two people, Ria and Vilkas fighting a sabre cat. I helped them, but then they attacked me. (I may have accidetaly shot them with sparks. I am not sure)
Using most of the potions I had, I managed to kill Ria and deplete Vilkas' HP. But Vilkas turned out to be immortal, got back up and killed me.

The shield beats the sword.
Urge to drink milk while eating steak wrapped with bacon rising...
Outer planes are not subject to any laws of physics that would prevent them from doing their job.
Better than the heavenly host eating your soul.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22448 on: August 09, 2020, 07:22:31 pm »

Attacking a Zuul system. Looking at the force preview, I thought I saw they only had a few cruisers. I failed to notice that also they had an Asteroid Monitor. Actually, looking at it a second time, it was named Asteroid Monitor Mk2, which is even worse.

What was one of my larger war fleets was reduced to below combat effectiveness. Almost all that's left are the support ships. Didn't even see any visible damage on the Monitor.

They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22449 on: August 09, 2020, 11:08:00 pm »

...turned out to be immortal, got back up and killed me..
Friggin' Bethesda, am I right?!   
Literally the reason I gave up on playing their shitty games.   
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Mathel

• Bay Watcher
  • A weird guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22450 on: August 10, 2020, 02:39:20 am »

I like the games though. And I now know why he is immortal. When joining the Companions, you have to spar with him. It would not do to allow you to kill him during sparring, so he is made immortal.

It would make more sense to have him only briefly become immortal for that part, rather than making him immortal at least until then. (I have not tried to kill him after the sparring session.)
If you depleted his HP before that session, he would be dead and the Companion quest line would be inaccessible. Or, since he seems to be running around Helgen at the start, make him selectively immortal like Lydia. So only you can kill him.
To prevent the Companions becoming inaccessible by him getting killed by wildlife.

Edit: But funnily, Morrowind is the game that got it right. If you killed someone essential, they would stay dead, but the game would tell you that the timeline is now doomed. Thus, you could kill anyone, but killing these people would have consequences.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2020, 02:42:29 am by Mathel »
The shield beats the sword.
Urge to drink milk while eating steak wrapped with bacon rising...
Outer planes are not subject to any laws of physics that would prevent them from doing their job.
Better than the heavenly host eating your soul.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22451 on: August 10, 2020, 03:28:52 am »

That was always a turn off for me on Skyrim.  Yea I like the game and I played it quite a bit, but part of the appeal was the ability to save a game and go all GTA on a town to relieve stress.  You can't really do that in skyrim. 

Inevitably some immortal asshole will see what yer doing and start attacking you.  You can't beat them, if you ignore them they will start adding up until your super godly dovakiin is beaten down by some barely armed assholes who just happen to be important to the plot.  The game could easily say "hey shit's fucked" and give you a confirmation prompt to continue and give another confirmation if you try to save.  Or do something like GTA does with michael's kids and send you a letter with a hospital bill and rez them somewhere offscreen.  But no, we chose immortal because we're lazy.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22452 on: August 10, 2020, 12:26:10 pm »

Wasn't one of the selling points of their earlier games (Daggerfall) that it didn't matter much if you killed NPCs, and you were just allowed to do that?

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #22453 on: August 10, 2020, 01:26:06 pm »

Originally a lot was planned with the action of players with NPC in Daggerfall affecting the politics and etc... of the Iliac Bay.

Unfortunately this never happened in the released game and all the NPC became unkillable immobile sprites that only use is to either stand there or sometime give a random (or part of the main quest) mission, then ... stand there forever.

Of course you can kill truckload of the random npc that walk around in cities and other locations , but they serve no other use that making the (still nice) illusion of a populated city  (and will be replaced by other random npc anyways after you killed them) or you trying to get into the dark brotherhood guild (as to be offered a chance to apply you needed to kill random npc in cities) or making yourself a target for HALT! guards for some reason.

I hope Daggerfall Unity modding will allow to implement what was originally planned before Daggerfall release.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22454 on: August 10, 2020, 02:23:59 pm »

Note that you also had to murder a random citizen once a month as a werewolf/wereboar. They also count for your daily blood intake for a vampire.

Discovered what this game's Grand Menace is... the System Killer. Which seems to have spawned right next to one of my higher-quality worlds. Said world has 10 DN-sized defense stations and an Asteroid Monitor... all of which do nothing. Even worse, I've checked it's travel line, and it will pass by the homeworld of my only ally at some point.

They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.
Pages: 1 ... 1495 1496 [1497] 1498 1499 ... 1571