Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1533 1534 [1535] 1536 1537 ... 1571

Author Topic: How did you last die?  (Read 2262778 times)

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How did you last die?
« Reply #23010 on: May 11, 2022, 05:29:59 pm »

Ran into a huge difficulty spike in the Kraken battle. Compared to the previous battles, the Kraken's arms and legs(yes, they're separate unit types - the arms are deadlier) have twice as much HP and hit a lot harder. One even one-shotted the team healer. Granted, she shouldn't be in the line of fire in the first place, but still. Had to rewind the emulator a lot just so I could get back to one of Bowie's turns to cast Egress, since for some reason his turn wasn't coming up.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #23011 on: May 11, 2022, 09:05:11 pm »

Ngl, I didn't make it past "Kraken battle" before guessing you were about to start talking SF2. That thing was friggin' infamous back in the day, ha.

There may be nothing else in the gaming world where "huge difficulty spike" is mixed with "Kraken battle" quite like it is in that game.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #23012 on: May 13, 2022, 12:35:49 pm »

Game : Prey

After entering the Arboretum i started to investigate around the blocked lift so i could unlock a shortcut to the safe place hub.
... Technopath spotted !

Last time i saw one i was in an area i shouldn't have been at early game stage, so i bravely ran away and came back to safer places.

But that was long time ago, now i have lots of weapons and just made some more ammo at a nearby fabricator.
Time to use that huge gun i found a dozen of minutes ago near the end of the antigravity tunnels leading to the arboretum !
That's going to be easy

famous last words.
(maybe next time i'll try those EMP grenade or stun gun first , and possibly use my weapon upgrade items too :D )

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #23013 on: May 14, 2022, 06:21:49 pm »

I've been meaning to play some more Aurora - I rarely leave the Sol system because I get impatient and go play something else, but it's on my USB of Fun so it's not exactly out of reach. Which reminds me to update the USB

The secret in the early game is prioritize Jump tech and Grav sensors over everything else.

Eschar

• Bay Watcher
  • hello
    • View Profile
« Reply #23014 on: May 16, 2022, 10:48:32 am »

(Sidenote - apparently Sidewinders don't count hard vacuum as an "unblocked route", but they CAN pass through- not into- jammed space)

This makes some amount of sense. It's teleportation after all, the whole point is that you aren't going *through* the intervening area.
It's at least consistent with the warning the game gives you about jammer fields - they "scramble incoming teleports."

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #23015 on: May 16, 2022, 11:07:33 am »

Yeah I agree.  It's also consistent with the sidewinders leaving "footprints" along the unblocked walking-path.  Can't walk in space. 

I was mostly surprised that the path can go through jammed space, but you're right that it's consistent with the description.  It's also sorta consistent with how long-range devices like subverters can operate into jammed space.  As long as YOU are not IN the jamming, including post-attempted-teleport, the devices works fine.  If at any point you'd be spending time in the jammer's range, it jams the attempt.  Sidewinding is literally instantaneous.

Kinda like how if I activate a slipstream and charge into a room through a jammer-door or field, I retain my high velocity and can clear a lot of distance before slowing.  Wheeeee!  (I assume all agents have Heely shoes)
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

chaotic skies

• Bay Watcher
  • Vibing in anti-space
    • View Profile
« Reply #23016 on: May 17, 2022, 02:31:27 pm »

Biters are getting a little too friendly with my chest. I should probably have disabled them entirely, but Rampant is a neat mod, and I want the pride of saying I beat Angel/Bob/Madclown with Rampant, even on a rail world.

Don't let me start a forum game, smack me with a paper towel roll if needed

Professional Thread Necromancer

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #23017 on: May 18, 2022, 10:01:54 am »

It's the fourth (and I assume last) dark crystal spawn on the map, I've survived 3 and now I've got a giant deathball of sentinels and siege alongside Vizargo heading to just nuke the damn thing early to see what happens. Just as I'm about to engage the blob of monsters around it the game crashes. I don't think there's an autosave and I generally don't remember to save regularly, especially when I'm into a game :(

Edit:
Disregard, I'm stupid and blind, there was an autosave, and killing the crystal doesn't seem to do anything :V
« Last Edit: May 18, 2022, 10:59:20 am by Jopax »
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

MCreeper

• Bay Watcher
  • My bus is late
    • View Profile
« Reply #23018 on: May 18, 2022, 02:19:31 pm »

Oh.
Oh, fuck you.
Dropped the game eventually. Wasn't able to summon destroyer of worlds because i spent too much time beating down the antpocalypse, and then disposessed spirits started to ambush me constantly.  ::)

Conquest of Elysium 5

Looks like playing on enormous map with max players is a bit excessive. I did it so i could get to lategame toys before game ends, but game may well end first anyways because of unpreventable apocalypse.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2022, 02:32:29 pm by MCreeper »

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #23019 on: May 18, 2022, 03:16:53 pm »

My advice for reaching endgame toys is to just cheat. Cheat engine trivially edits the resource amounts, and you can go wild from there :P

Alternative is to just make sure you don't have any factions in play with apocalypse mechanics. Pretty sure there's also some mod or another that adds an inactive faction that's really hard to kill, too, so you can keep playing after everything else has died. You got options, heh.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #23020 on: May 18, 2022, 03:37:37 pm »

My advice if they do one of the BS apocalypse things (especially that one where they just summon a ton of ghosts and kill all the players off) is to also cheat via quitting to see the whole map then reloading so you know exactly where it is so you can make a beeline to it and stop it before it starts spawning stuff.

Of course, there are some you *can't* stop that way, in which case uh... sucks to be you.
And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!
Because the solution to not being able to control your dakka is MOAR DAKKA.

That's it. We've finally crossed over and become the nation of Da Orky Boyz.

MCreeper

• Bay Watcher
  • My bus is late
    • View Profile
« Reply #23021 on: May 18, 2022, 07:10:17 pm »

My advice for reaching endgame toys is to just cheat. Cheat engine trivially edits the resource amounts, and you can go wild from there :P

Alternative is to just make sure you don't have any factions in play with apocalypse mechanics. Pretty sure there's also some mod or another that adds an inactive faction that's really hard to kill, too, so you can keep playing after everything else has died. You got options, heh.
At this point, i wonder if it is worth the trouble at all. I feel like even Dominions 5 SP was more fun than CoE, at least before AI being actively suicidal started driving me to ragequit, and before i played Dominions 5 MP non-stop for 2 years. Though most fun was from finding what ridicolous stuff you can do. Mods help with that a lot, i remember two best SP games were with Aurum and Hollowmoor from Confluence, was really fun to discover their gimmicks. Might try Populum for CoE, it looks like it goes in that direction.

I'm pretty sure only Voice of El can cause apocalyptic scenario, and other 5 or so are RNJesus screwing you over trough particular neutrals, so disbling him won't help much. Was pretty dissapointed by that once. Thought i will be opening gate to primal world with Dryad Queen, but all i got was Ya all's mama.  ::)

At least i found a really entertaining stream. GeneralConfusion's release stream with kobolds is !FUN! from beginning to an end. This one was mostly boring conquering and ghostbusting, but 3:31 is pure gold.

Restarted with Voice of El. They really upgraded apocalyptic riders' sprites a lot.
Unfortunately, he came for my castle first. Fortunately, he immediately got killed by 7 catapults. Unfortunately, i then accidentally teleported my entire army to wonderful location in hell with a scroll, and the save was entirely too long ago.
Ah, screw that.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2022, 07:11:58 pm by MCreeper »

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #23022 on: May 21, 2022, 09:38:54 pm »

Alright, I'm impressed that you can read a scroll and send your army to hell.
Slightly more tempted to buy CoE5

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23023 on: May 22, 2022, 07:36:58 am »

Hired a crew for the first time. Second run with an MPU installed.

Went from the shallowest depth, and decided to fly deeper manually. Was going too fast, saw a big ringroid. Panicked, and tried to avert course while blasting the main thruster. The ship does not like both autopilot controls and manual thrust being pressed at the same time. Sideswiped the ringroid at speed, everything went red and alarms blaring.

They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23024 on: May 23, 2022, 06:27:03 pm »

Armored Core 2... How did this franchise have like 8 entries again?

I'm at some point where basically none of the missions actually seem doable with the starting equipment.  One's a convoy chase where you can't actually catch the transport.  I've built pure speed once, shot the transport only for whatever mech inside to 1v1 my now unarmored ac to death.  One is a base defense against three wings of jets plus an altitude bomber you can barely even lock on to.  First time I ran out of ammo, the second out of time.  One mission just spawns you in front of like five mechs with chainguns that can stunlock you, and you'll need to platform over lava pits to escape.  Half the missions have so many enemies the actual mission payout can't cover expenses for ammo and repairs.  Without factoring expenses one mission might get you a mech part, but the entire mech needs replacing, but also multiple parts at once since you'll need to factor if the mech can support the mass plus the shitty engine actually powering the thing.

And I swear every third mission is versus nothing but fucking airplanes.  It takes like an extra second for your lock on to actually start leading the target.  When that happens you get maybe one shot before the plane escapes your lock by lazily flying right over you.  Looking up and down is done via buttons, and some empire rose and fell by the time the mech can pull a 180.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again
Pages: 1 ... 1533 1534 [1535] 1536 1537 ... 1571