Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1555 1556 [1557] 1558 1559 ... 1571

Author Topic: How did you last die?  (Read 2267858 times)

BikeRacks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How did you last die?
« Reply #23340 on: April 23, 2023, 04:42:32 pm »

Huh, what a coincidence. I just finished playing that less than a week ago.
I'm finding the old school NES version of the game very unforgiving.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23341 on: April 24, 2023, 01:28:27 pm »

Some old woman tried to mug me. I resisted, she attacked me with a knife. After punching her in the face a few times, several more people tried shanking me. Eventually my leg broke, and I tried running into the city hall. Didn't help, and the cops did nothing about it.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #23342 on: April 26, 2023, 11:07:40 pm »

Killed by a psychic spaghetti-o, or cheerio or something.

Mother Brain fight, Metroid.  Wow, what a coincidence that several others mentioned it recently.  Rant on my experience:

Spoiler: Rant (click to show/hide)
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23343 on: April 27, 2023, 01:14:38 am »

Spoiler: Rant (click to show/hide)

This feels like a callback to when manuals doubled as copy protection. I'm guessing that the VCs didn't come with scans of the manual though.

Spoiler: Image (click to show/hide)

And fun tidbit: In the English manual, Samus Aran is explicitly referred to as a male cyborg... though his true appearance is unknown.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2023, 01:26:43 am by Aoi »
Stench Guzman: Fix this quote, please.
Now celebrating: Two and a half years misquoted. Seriously man. Just fix it. -_-

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23344 on: April 27, 2023, 04:23:14 am »

There's one thing about the Metroid franchise I've been thinking about.

Semi-death, but I had redone the tutorial case for the third time(it bugged out a few times), and actually got solid information on the killer. I broke in while they were home, got a fingerprint match that puts them at the crime scene. Unfortunately, I could not make an arrest since unlike the victim, the killer did not live alone. So I had to turn in the case without the full reward of arresting them or recovering the murder weapon.

This feels like a callback to when manuals doubled as copy protection. I'm guessing that the VCs didn't come with scans of the manual though.

They don't. Particularly hilarious because Startropics is also on the VC. Remember that copy protection?

EDIT: Couldn't get enough people into my second city quickly enough, meaning the heating plant was vastly understaffed. Cue about 1000 deaths in one December. My nation-wide population was 5800 at that start of December.

« Last Edit: April 27, 2023, 04:48:49 am by Akura »
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23345 on: April 27, 2023, 09:30:07 am »

Funnily enough I did check if there was a manual available for the game through the Switch since I wondered about that, but as far as I can tell there isn't one.  Well, that makes me a tiny bit less frustrated, but only a tiny bit.

This reminds me a tiny bit of Mega Man X, actually.  Modern games are very careful to be sure that all of the story and everything you need to know is presented in game, but old games frequently embedded a lot of that in the manual.  For Mega Man X, if you didn't read the manual you'd literally have no idea what the story is, except there's a big bald robot named Sigma you have to kill.  The game does at least have zero roadblocks to playing it if you don't read the manual.

Anyway, I was going to try the original Legend of Zelda next, and I'm going to look for an online manual first since I'm betting it has important nuggets like this in it too.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #23346 on: April 27, 2023, 09:58:06 am »

Some old woman tried to mug me. I resisted, she attacked me with a knife. After punching her in the face a few times, several more people tried shanking me. Eventually my leg broke, and I tried running into the city hall. Didn't help, and the cops did nothing about it.
For a second i thought you were describing the average tourist day in some european big cities :D

Anyways, got a bit too greedy trying to clean a volatile nest in The Following campaign for Dying Light during a night as i unfortunately underestimated how big that specific one was and got lost around while trying to find the last breeding spot to destroy it in time while fighting off the regular infected respawning there.

The day unfortunately came and so the volatiles returned to that nest spawning list (as it simulate that at night the volatiles leave their nest to hunt on the surface and come back in the day as they can't handle sun light) and things went to hell very very quickly.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #23347 on: April 27, 2023, 10:07:04 am »

Funnily enough I did check if there was a manual available for the game through the Switch since I wondered about that, but as far as I can tell there isn't one.  Well, that makes me a tiny bit less frustrated, but only a tiny bit.

This reminds me a tiny bit of Mega Man X, actually.  Modern games are very careful to be sure that all of the story and everything you need to know is presented in game, but old games frequently embedded a lot of that in the manual.  For Mega Man X, if you didn't read the manual you'd literally have no idea what the story is, except there's a big bald robot named Sigma you have to kill.  The game does at least have zero roadblocks to playing it if you don't read the manual.

Anyway, I was going to try the original Legend of Zelda next, and I'm going to look for an online manual first since I'm betting it has important nuggets like this in it too.
The biggest thing is to just look up the solution to the infinite repeating maze.  The rest can theoretically be sleuthed out by somebody with experience playing nintendo era exploration games.  In fact, it was kind of fun to find secrets.

Actually, I really did enjoy how crude the OG zelda was.  My first experience with a savable game too

P:  I dont game much any more, but I lost 2% today in the stock market.  And, of course, the stock kept going up after I sold at a loss.  It happens, but I guess Ill just be bitter now.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Mathel

• Bay Watcher
  • A weird guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23348 on: April 29, 2023, 03:17:51 am »

First mission, against a landed ship of what turned out to be Night Lords.

It started out decently well. I had some losses, but I was devastating them.

Then a Neverborn Daemon appeared. I could not hurt it. My guys emptied several bolter magazines into it, for no apparent effect. I also chucked a number of Frag, Krak, and Proxy grenades at it, I could not check how damaging those were, but it did not fall over.

As such, I was forced to flee. From a single Daemon.

« Last Edit: April 29, 2023, 03:22:30 am by Mathel »
The shield beats the sword.
Urge to drink milk while eating steak wrapped with bacon rising...
Outer planes are not subject to any laws of physics that would prevent them from doing their job.
Better than the heavenly host eating your soul.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #23349 on: April 29, 2023, 05:10:07 am »

First mission, against a landed ship of what turned out to be Night Lords.

It started out decently well. I had some losses, but I was devastating them.

Then a Neverborn Daemon appeared. I could not hurt it. My guys emptied several bolter magazines into it, for no apparent effect. I also chucked a number of Frag, Krak, and Proxy grenades at it, I could not check how damaging those were, but it did not fall over.

As such, I was forced to flee. From a single Daemon.

Much like the lore, you gotta Melee the Daemons, for the most part.  But if you'd suffered grievous losses, you might not have anyone beefy and brave enough to do it.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #23350 on: April 29, 2023, 05:14:41 am »

Neverborn daemons have very high resistances to mostly everything, but a huge weakness to fire.
So get a flamer weapon or two in your squad and enjoy cooked neverborn

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23351 on: April 29, 2023, 06:16:57 pm »

Punched a bighorn ram to lure it into my pen. Then I learned they are much faster that me. So much faster.

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23352 on: May 01, 2023, 08:46:05 pm »

Turns out that no you can't avoid a para drop, an that you can strike and make hole.
Dark tie. AKA , you like losing.
Agree, plus that's about the LAST thing *I* want to see from this kind of game - author spending valuable development time on useless graphics.

Unofficial slogan of Bay 12 Games.  

Death to the false emperor a warhammer40k SG

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23353 on: May 02, 2023, 11:23:18 pm »

Killed by a red lynel because I started moving.

The Legend of Zelda.

So far the game isn't as aggravating as Metroid was, but I can tell I'm probably not going to be able to finish the game without googling things.  I finished two dungeons and got boomerangs, magic boomerangs, the bow, and a candle, plus two heart containers.  I finally figured out how to get past the maze by bribing the old lady, but got stuck in the next dungeon past the graveyards because I ran out of keys.  I... guess I have to go buy one from a merchant now?

Anyway, I stepped outside and was promptly ganked by a lynel and teleported back to the starting area, so that was it for today.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23354 on: May 03, 2023, 04:05:11 am »

I finally figured out how to get past the maze by bribing the old lady, but got stuck in the next dungeon past the graveyards because I ran out of keys.  I... guess I have to go buy one from a merchant now?

No, every dungeon has exactly enough keys to finish it. You probably don't have the right equipment to explore that dungeon - they are supposed(well, "supposed") to be done in numerical order.
Pages: 1 ... 1555 1556 [1557] 1558 1559 ... 1571