Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Be careful around rivers!  (Read 1338 times)

Kamamura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Be careful around rivers!
« on: November 15, 2010, 06:44:46 am »

My band of mercenaries was marching by a river on one sunny day, when suddenly, I heard a scream and my elite, battle-hardened crossbowman Eso WinkledBlossoms was gone! I was searching the river bank (a tracking skill would be useful!), when loads of combat messages flooded the screen. Poor Eso was fighting for his life underwater with some  insignifficant fish like carp (I forgot), and the only think I ever saw of him was his blood flowing downstream.

So keep your distance, unless you want your best brothers-in-arms end up nibbled to death by a trout in the damp, watery depths of a local brook. And next time a fish soup is served, stab it a few times with a knife, just to be sure!
The entire content consists of senseless murder, a pile of faceless naked women and zero regard for human life in general, all in the service of the protagonist's base impulses. It is clearly a cry for help from a neglected, self absorbed and disempowered juvenile badly in need of affectionate guidance. What a sad, sad display.

Chilton

• Bay Watcher
  • Armok Cultist - Calligrapher
    • View Profile
Re: Be careful around rivers!
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2010, 06:56:59 am »

A wise man once said
"Experience A River"

He said it to another wise, wise man.
Yes
I Like To Think Of Myself As An Artist - I Create Masterpieces With My Tools Of Trade.

NewSheoth

• Bay Watcher
  • City of Madness
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2010, 12:35:30 pm »

Insignificant fish!? INSIGNIFICANT FISH YOU SAY!? THIS IS CARP!! OUR ANCIENT OVERLORD FROM THE DAYS OF YORE!! THE TERROR OF THE DEEP!! THE DEVOURER OF UNIVERSES!! DARE YOU OPPOSE HIS WILL!?
" It... it's finally over. Oh Armok it was like the end of days in some kind of gristly death bathtub of untold horror and wow that is a nice waterfall."
Embarked on a haunted volcano. I am currently terrorized by skeletal alligators.

Knigel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2010, 02:44:08 pm »

One important thing to note is that if something is on a tile vertically and horizontally adjacent they can always attack you even on very different z-levels (I'm surprised this hasn't been fixed), so try to stay at least two movements away from the edge of the river.

Rexfelum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2010, 03:24:59 pm »

some  insignifficant fish like carp

Insignificant fish!? INSIGNIFICANT FISH YOU SAY!? THIS IS CARP!! OUR ANCIENT OVERLORD FROM THE DAYS OF YORE!! THE TERROR OF THE DEEP!! THE DEVOURER OF UNIVERSES!! DARE YOU OPPOSE HIS WILL!?

Yeah, what NewSheoth said.  You must be new.

Thankfully, carp aren't as bad as they had been (namely, as discussed in that link).

--Rexfelum

Emily Murkpaddled

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2010, 03:53:18 pm »

I was traveling north from a hamlet, still within sight of some houses, and needed to cross a small river to continue on. Well. I never even made it into the river, because two saltwater crocodiles came out of it after me. D:

I survived the encounter by jumping in, only one of the two crocs pursuing me very far, and wounding it enough that it backed off and I was able to float downstream to safety. That river sure ran red though! :X

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2010, 03:56:30 pm »

It may have been a sturgeon instead of a carp, but yes do be very afraid of fighting in the water.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

minno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2010, 06:42:12 pm »

I once tried to kill a sturgeon with a fresh demigod adventurer.  It ripped off his left arm and right hand before my guy could hit it.

Do.  Not.  Feed.  The.  Fish.

Emily

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2010, 07:14:12 pm »

Huh, I thought fish were fixed in .31.x

Apparently not entirely :P