Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: switching between dwarf and adventure modes  (Read 1506 times)

Zantan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
switching between dwarf and adventure modes
« on: November 13, 2010, 01:55:50 pm »

From Threetoe on the dev page today: "adventurers will be able to experience the vast amount of dwarven goods your fortresses dump onto the market"

This would be wonderful, but I thought I remember Toady saying that you would not be able to end a dwarf mode game without abandoning for a while.  I certainly know that he said we wouldn't be able to return to playing a fortress after leaving it for adventure mode.

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
Re: switching between dwarf and adventure modes
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2010, 02:15:11 pm »

Yeah, but the goods you previously sold will exist, rather than being atomsmashed as soon as the traders leave.
*Hugs*

Lovechild

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2010, 03:48:50 pm »

You could really screw over the world's economy by only exporting masterwork adamantine items...
All Races Playable Mod - Minimal mod to play as any race in DF - For 0.50.01

Zaius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2010, 09:32:55 pm »

Wouldn't hundreds of shops stocked to the rafters with -Alunite Mug-'s be worse?

By sheer magnitude, they would replace all other trade goods in the known world, and once there are only Mugs to trade, the only measure of wealth is the material and craftsdwarfship of said mugs.

We can force a Tupperware based economy on the world.

rephikul

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_IDEA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2010, 11:03:53 pm »

I'm more concerned about the fps loss over time due to all of these items getting tracked.
Intensifying Mod v0.23 for 0.31.25. Paper tigers are white.
Prepacked Dwarf Fortress with Intensifying mod v.0.23, Phoebus graphics set, DFhack, Dwarf Therapist, Runesmith and a specialized custom worldgen param.

Pita

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2010, 02:17:46 am »

I think it's safe to assume that the 'switching' isn't going to happen (even though that would be awesome).

'The dwarves will be forced to deal with the economic situation of the outside world'

But this might mean that maybe... just maybe... you won't be able to sell an endless supply of mugs because there won't be enough demand for them?

Interus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2010, 02:19:46 pm »

I think it's safe to assume that the 'switching' isn't going to happen (even though that would be awesome).

'The dwarves will be forced to deal with the economic situation of the outside world'

But this might mean that maybe... just maybe... you won't be able to sell an endless supply of mugs because there won't be enough demand for them?

Nah, when the demand for them drops, you just have to sell even more.  The merchants only giving 1db per mug now? Trade him 300 mugs for that dog.  Now he's only giving you 1db for a whole crate of mugs?  300 crates!

And then one of your dwarves creates an artifact mug that's diamond studded, made of platinum, and only worth 1db.

cerapa

• Bay Watcher
  • It wont bite....unless you are the sun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2010, 02:26:17 pm »

And then one of your dwarves creates an artifact mug that's diamond studded, made of platinum, and only worth 1db.
And that is what people mean by less than the sum of its parts.

Mugs costing less than the stone they are made of is an interesting concept.

Tick, tick, tick the time goes by,
tick, tick, tick the clock blows up.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2010, 04:08:43 pm »

I'm more concerned about the fps loss over time due to all of these items getting tracked.

I'm betting items will be tracked as pools unless they do something to distinguish themselves (Site X has 120 mugs, 9 bronze shortswords, 3 bronze breastplates, 1 bronze shortsword used to kill Ngokang Vilespiders the Goblin Warlord).  Other than that, I don't think it'll be a huge deal, there's not much information for each item that needs to be tracked.
Shoes...

nbonaparte

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2010, 06:37:47 pm »

Spoiler: This seems applicable. (click to show/hide)
A service to the forum: clowns=demons, cotton candy=adamantine, clown car=adamantine tube, circus=hell, circus tent=demonic fortress.

vogonpoet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2010, 04:04:36 am »

Came here to post the shoe event horizon :) Well done nbonaparte. Every recent thread about the caravan arc reminds me about Frogstar B.
Everything I know about reality, I learned from Dwarf Fortress.

PsyberianHusky

• Bay Watcher
  • The best at being the worst at video games.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2010, 10:04:20 am »

Well Why isn't the world full of all the stuff the ancient people before us made?
Because it broke, When a site has a traumatic event happen it should have some of the material goods just vanish, and maybe some become fragments for treasure hunters to find. Anyway playing fast and loose with the ent tracking seems like a good idea. The important things is common items show up in places that it is reasonable to find them
Thank you based dwarf.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2010, 10:27:34 am »

I think making the 'abandon fortress' non destructive if there are no impeding disaster/monsters/sieges is part of the 'Fortress Starting Scenarios' arc

that would allow to 'freeze' the fortress in time, adventure a bit, and reclaim later without finding everyone dead and every item wasted

Scarpa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2010, 04:15:28 pm »

I'm mostly hoping in the next release I can start a fort specifically to seed the Uman markets with steel items so I can start an adventurer and equip with good steel without having to go find the old fortress.

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2010, 04:22:49 pm »

Yeah, but the goods you previously sold will exist, rather than being atomsmashed as soon as the traders leave.

I'm pretty sure that the stuff that merchants take with them are already saved.

One of my old 40d adventurers in fact tracked her way back to an old fort by tracing the masterwork granite mugs from town to town, and equipped herself with some random masterwork equipment I'd sold the human traders that was lying on the ground in the town nearest to my abandoned fort.
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod